Sign in to follow this  
Foxtrotter14

Pumpkins... pumpkins - What to make?

So I bought a pumpkin. Yes I did. It's sitting on my desk (don't ask me why) and I'm in the mood to experiment.

Anyone have a good recipe for some pumpkin cookies? Pumpkin bread?

Any other ideas?

Thanks a ton. [Wink]

Pumpkin Apple Soup with Curry and Cream

1 small to medium sweet eating pumpkin, seeds, and strings removed and reserved, cut into pieces roughly 4 inches square (see below)

3 crisp wellflavored apples, such as Granny Smiths, Staymans, or Winesaps. Unpeeled, cores with stems removed and reserved, fruit diced (see below)

Pumpkin Apple Stock

Seeds and strings from the pumpkin

Cores with stems of the apples

2 beads garlic, papery skin left on, whole

1 large onion unpeeled, quartered

1 large potato, unpeeled, quartered

Zest of 1/2 orange

1 1/2 tsp salt

6 cups water

Apple Onion Saute:

Pam cooking spray

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons mild vegetable oil such as corn or peanut

1 large onion diced

2/3 of apple diced

1 table spoon best quality curry powder

Assembling and garnishing the soup

1/2 cup apple juice ocncentrate, thawed

1 cup heavy whipping cream or evaporated skim milk

3 1/4 cups of the pumpkin apple stock

1/3 of the apple dice

Creme Fraiche (optional)

1. Make the pumpkin apple stock:

in a large soup pot, combine all the stock ingredients and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to low and let simmer, covered, 45 minutes. Let cool. Strain and discard the solids.

Pumpkin Chiffon Pie

2. Meanwhile, make the pumpkin puree using the pumpkin pieces.

3. Prepare the apple onion saute.

Spray a 10 inch skillet with the Pam and in it heat the butter and oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until somewhat softened, about three minutes. Add two thirds of the diced apples, and saute another 2 minutes, stirring often. Sprinkle the ucrry powder over the apples and onion and continue to cook, stirring often, another 1-2 minutes. Removed from heat and scrape HALF of the mixture into a food processer.

4. Put the remaining onion apple saute in a large soup pot. Deglace the skillet with 1/4 cup of the stock and scrape the pan contents into the pot. Add 3 cups of the pumpin apple stock and the pumpkin purre to the pot. Bring the mixture ot a boil, turn down the heat, and simmer gently for about ten minutes. Stir the soup occasionally.

5. Meanwhile add the apple juice concentrate to the indredients in the food processor. Buzz until smooth. Add this mixture to the soup pot with the heavy cream or evaporated milk. Continue cooking the soup over low heat until very hot. Do not permit it to boil.

6. Serve the soup garnished with the remaining diced apple and a dab of optional creme fraiche.

Serves 6-8

Pumpkin Chiffon Pie my favorite kind

For Crust:

20 2 inch gingersnaps finely ground

1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter melted and cooled.

For Filling:

3 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin (from 2 1/4 oz envelopes)

1/4 cup bourbon or brandy

6 large eggs, separated

3/4 cup packed light brown sugar

2 1/4 cup solid pack pumpkin

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

3/4 teaspoons ground ginger

3/4 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1 1/2 cup very cold heavy cream.

Make the crust: Put a rack in the middle of oven and preheat oven to 350 F. Invert bottom of springform pan then lock on side and butter pan. Stir together gingersnap crumbs and butter until crumbs are easily moistened. Pres sonto bottom of pan. Bake until edges are golden brown, about 8 minutes. Cool in pan on rack.

Make the filling:

Sprinkle gelatin over bourbon in a small bowl and let soften for 1 minute

Beat together yolks and brown sugar in a large bow with an electic mixer set on high speed until thick and pale. 3-5 minutes. Reduce speed to medium and mix in pumpkin, spices, and salt.

Transfer pumpkin mixture to a 4 quartheavy sauce pan and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly until it registers 160 F on thermometer, about 6 minutes. Remove pan from heat, immediately add gelatin mixture and stir util it is dissolved. Transfer to a large metal bowl set in a larger bowl of ice and cold water and cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture is the consistency of raw egg whites, about 15 minutes. Remove from ice bath.

Beat egg whites in another large bowl with cleaned beaters at high speed until frothy. Gradually add granualated sugar and beat until whites hold stiff glossy peaks. Gently but throughly fold into pumpkin mixture.

Beat cream in another large bowl with cleaned beaters until it just holds stiff peaks. Gently but thoroughly fold into pumpkin mixture. Pour filling into springform pan and smooth top. Regrigerate uncovered for 1 hour then cover and refrigerate until pie is set, at least 3 hours.

[ 10-26-2007, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: Tiger_Lily123 ]

here you go

INGREDIENTS

3 eggs

1 cup white sugar

2/3 cup solid pack pumpkin puree

1 teaspoon lemon juice

3/4 cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground ginger

1 cup chopped pecans

confectioners' sugar for dusting

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese

4 tablespoons butter

1 cup confectioners' sugar

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

confectioners' sugar for dusting

READ REVIEWS (64)

Review/Rate This Recipe

Save To Recipe Box

Add to Shopping List

Add a Personal Note

Post a Recipe Photo

Post a Favorite Food List

Create a Menu

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10x15 inch jellyroll pan.

In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar with an electric mixer on high speed for five minutes. Gradually mix in pumpkin and lemon juice. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and ginger; stir into the pumpkin mixture. Spread batter evenly into the prepared pan. Sprinkle pecans over the top of the batter.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the center springs back when touched. Loosen edges with a knife. Turn out on two dishtowels that have been dusted with confectioners' sugar. Roll up cake using towels, and let cool for about 20 minutes.

In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, butter, 1 cup confectioners' sugar, and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Unroll pumpkin cake when cool, spread with filling, and roll up. Place pumpkin roll on a long sheet of waxed paper, and dust with confectioners' sugar. Wrap cake in waxed paper, and twist ends of waxed paper like a candy wrapper. Refrigerate overnight. Serve chilled; before slicing, dust with additional confectioners' sugar.

quote:

Originally posted by draftiemama:

While you're baking and the oven is on anyways, roast the pumpkin seeds with some seasoned salt or Mrs. Dash.

YEP!! Hubby LOVES roasted pumpkin seeds. ICK!

He asked if I wanted to get a pumpkin so we can roast seeds. [Roll Eyes] I just bought him a bag of 'em. [Embarrassed]

A few days ago I made roasted pumpkins. Every one of my family loves this recipe. Here I am sharing the recipe procedure.

Ingredients:

1)  1 small pumpkin or 1/4 large pumpkin
 2)  2 tablespoons olive oil
   3) 1/8 teaspoon ground clove
  4)  1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  5)  1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
   6) 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
    7) 2 teaspoons sea salt

Instructions:

Heat oven to 400F. Using a large metal spoon, scoop out the seeds and insides of the pumpkin. Save the seeds for roasting. Use a sharp chef's knife or slicing instrument like this to cut slices of pumpkin, 1-inch thick.

Place pumpkin slices on baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and rub on both sides of the pumpkin. Season with salt, spices and brown sugar. Roast for 18-20 minutes, depending on the thickness of pumpkin slices (check at 15-minute mark).

Try this, I hope this recipe makes tasty.