Sign in to follow this  

HC New Mommies and Mommies-To-Be (V3)

G'Morning!! [Yay]

Cleaning house and thought I'd start us out fresh for the holidays and into the New Year 2008 with a new volume!!

Let's get a recap on who's due when and what they're having so we can have an updated list, please?

I'll start...

Due May 16th, 2008...Find out gender 12/28/07

*And proud mother to my almost year-and-a-half old son, Jeren...whom keeps me VERY busy!

AND list your current children so we know who's mommy you are [Wink]

Hope all Mommies and Mommies - To - Be are doing well! [Razz]

[Huggy][Huggy][Huggy][Huggy][Huggy]

[ 12-15-2007, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Red Rockin' Robbin ]

Due March 25, 2008 to a bouncing baby girl! This is our first.

Right now I am the mother to my 5 horses, two dogs and one cat. Somedays I feel like I have to mother my husband to!

Thanks for starting a new thread! Now I am going to try and stay up to date with this one.

Zanit

I don't usually check out the Mommies post but when I saw that the other one was locked I had to see what you ladies were getting up to.

I can't describe the disappointment I felt when I realized you weren't stirring up trouble. [Wink]

So I was thinking last night. Is there a safe way to ride with your newborn or is that just really unsafe?

Also, is there some chemical change in your body after you go through labor in order to start breast feeding? I was thinking about all the mothers who have premature babies, how do they start breast feeding? Wouldn't it be nice to pump before the baby is born to "stock" up?

I must sound like a moron, but really I am just naive. I can't think of a better place to post such a question than here for the current mommies and more experienced folks to comment.

Sorry if these are dumb questions.

Labor releases a hormone that kicks the 'milk maids' into gear. Oxytocin I think?

On the subject of, if I got implants would I be able to nurse or not? They hardly work as it is, would it really matter if I could get supplemental colostrum for the baby?

Colostrum is the first milk your breasts produce during pregnancy. Most mothers don't even know it's there unless they leak a bit toward the end of the pregnancy. Your body starts making it about three to four months into pregnancy, and it may leak from your breasts while you're pregnant. When you have your baby and you start nursing, your baby's sucking sends a message to your brain to produce milk. Then the breasts get the message to produce milk. The more you nurse, the more milk your body makes. In premature babies, if the mother chooses, she can pump and it's the same idea just pumping instead of sucking...hope that helps.

Video of my source of info

.ETA: Yes, onedaysoon...it is oxytocin, just found this:

quote:

Cramping will be most intense during the first day or two after giving birth and should taper off on the third day or so (though it can take up to six weeks for your uterus to return to normal size.) Breastfeeding can bring on cramps or make them worse because your baby's sucking triggers the release of the hormone oxytocin, which causes contractions.

As far as riding with a newborn, this is just me....I wouldn't and didn't when they are so young. I didn't ride when I was prego either, again, my own choice. I rode after while hubby watched Jeren....but horses are horses. No matter how well they are trained, they are animals and anything can happen at any time...wether it's the horse's fault (acting up) or not (getting spooked by something, tripping and falling, etc). I suppose anything can happen at anytime, even now when hubby takes Jeren around on Doc...but he generally only does it after he's been worked pretty hard, roped off of for the day, etc and he is generally worn out. he's a pretty calm horse anyways...but a few laps around our arena has never hurt Jeren. Hubby wouldn't do it if he thought he would get hurt. But even in THAT scenerio, "anything" can happen.

It's a catch 22...I think waiting a little until baby is a bit older is wise though.

[ 12-12-2007, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Red Rockin' Robbin ]

hi all. i'm mommy to shayanna (shy) marie a very 13 month old. and all the really new mommies and to be are making me want another one [Frown] i should wait another year.

ODS - (Feels weird not calling you Rose [Wink] ) Is it "okay" for you to have more children later on? I thought you had too many complications with all 3 boys to the point where the docs didn't recommend any more children, for the sake of your health and the baby? Maybe things have changed? Three is plenty for me! That is if I survive my future TWO! lol. I am sure of having THREE though....or hubby might divorce me, lol...he would love to have about 8! But obviously I won't and well, who can afford 8 kids! CRAZY!

You can still call me Rose silly.

They figure that if I get enough healing time, things should be ok this time around. 3yrs til we can even try. I'll still be a high risk-er, but that will just mean I'll be watched closely.

Hi everyone!!

Mom to:

Stephane 17, will be 18 next month

Scott 16

Scarlett 2

Wyatt 4 mos.

and tying for one more. I want to do it as soon as possible. We have agreed that if it doesnt happen within 4 mos then we are done.

Do have to admit though that I was very dissappointed yesterday when aunt flo showed up. (tmi- sorry)

Thanks RRR for the link. I watched them all. There were four different ones there.

My Hubby and I are going to do a birthing class in January. What can I expect from this class? Everyone keeps telling me that they are worth it. Did the other Mommies to be find them helpful.

I should read my books that were given to me. They might have the answers I am seeking, but I love being able to come here and chat with you all about them. Hopefully I am not sounding dumb asking all my questions.

I LOVED my birthing class. Hubby didn't want to go at first but he thought it was helpful in the end too. The only part that I found ridiculious and was the only part that didn't benefit me was the breathing hee hee whoooo crap. You push and breathe the way you want to and the nurses help you and coach you on what and how to do it...the nurses helped me more in that dept.

But learning everything from how your weight gain is divided up, to nursing, to having the anestheologist (sp?) there to tell us all about what to expect and giving us visuals to pass around and look at to watching a birth on video and what to expect, c-section or vaginal....I could go on. We had a fun group and the teacher was AWESOME! Loved her! It really helped me and hubby know what to do, what to expect...it was GREAT! HIGHLY recommended. AND we toured the hospital, etc...Even if you're calm, etc and think you don't need it, it gives you an extra feeling of ok, I can do this! lol...

[ 12-12-2007, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: Red Rockin' Robbin ]

I think my insurance paid for my classes. I think the theory is that education = reduced stress + less $$ on medications and procedures.

Zanit, when your baby gets here, you'll have a better understanding of caring for a baby and riding. First thing I think of is that not only are you going to be too tired and/or sore to even think about riding, but that baby is going to be sleeping, eating, and pooping a lot, taking up a whole lot of time, and also, babies don't have much muscle control, so the usual jarring of riding may be too much for him/her. And, accidents still happen on the safest horses. Needless to say, my opinion is that nobody should think too seriously about riding with a baby.

Besides, if you're like me, you'll have a waiting list of eager babysitters. (I just can't bring myself to take that precious time away from Collin as long as I'm having to work full-time.) [Frown]

just one quick question from me, if I might.

Hubby and I were discussing what hospital to deliver at. I know soon considering we aren't even pregnant yet, however it matters since i would have to go to different doctors for each hospital and I want to start out with one doctor and stay with that one threw the whole thing.

So what do you look for in a good hospital?

and how far is too far from home?

We are looking at two options one is approx 20 minutes away from home and the other is closer to 45 minutes-1 hour

the closer one would mean keeping my own doctor however it's in a different province so I'm not sure how that works and it's in my home town where all my family is close and hubby's isn't far either.

Haven't decided if it's a good ting to be in a hospital where everyone knows you and everyone is close or not.

Never had that problem Jen so I guess I couldn't tell ya. As far as distance in and of it's self I'd choose the distance i felt safest in traveling. Once you do get preagnant(fingers crossed)and you know what kind of situation it is, that will influence your choice.

I picked mine (15 mins away) and then just so happened a few of my friends and their friends dlvd there too and really liked it...then I toured it (FREE) and it was awesome! Then I made sure I picked a doc (OBGYN) that belonged to that hospital AND had an office close to my home (which they normally do).

I had it kind of easy...really only a choice of 3 hospitals...one of which let a friend of a friend's baby die (malpractice) so that one was an instant NO for me.

[ 12-12-2007, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: Red Rockin' Robbin ]

Our hospital is about 40 minutes away. There is a closer one but the quality of care is not as good and my OB doesn't deliver there. I would go with the one that you are most comfortable with. Family will travel to see a new baby so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

I want a hospital that has a good reputation for quality doctors and nurses and also one that has a dedicated women's facility/area.

I have very little patience for doctors, so if I don't like them, I don't go back. I can't remember how I found my ob/gyn, I've had her for so many years. I think she was recommended by a friend. Her office is located in a hospital that has a whole wing dedicated to women and children. It's actually 45 minutes away. After the umpteenth ob visit, it dawned on me that there's one hospital that's 15 minutes from home, and we had to drive past 3 others to get to my dr/hospital. But I made a very good decision. I couldn't have asked for better care and friendlier staff.

I'd recommend finding a good ob/gyn before getting pregnant. That way, you can weed out the goobers without adding stress to pregnancy.

Red, what happened to your friend's baby?

It was my friend's neighbor then ended up being her good friend. Then I got to kow her and she'd clean my house for me once a month before Jeren and when I was working. I was told but I don't remember exactly. It was years before even any of us knew her, including my friend. But I know it was that hospital and it was malpractice (could have been avoided)...I have heard they don't have the best maternity ward there, etc...wasn't the only incident. I don't talk to her much anymore, we moved and I can't afford a house keeper, lol...I'll ask my friend that lived next door to her and see if he remembers. It was really sad though...she never got over it, who would?

A brand new thread. Can I still be around, since I'm not a Mommy to be, and my babies are growing up?

Joshua David 20 (1 month away from 21)

Matthew Ryan 19 (2 months away from 20)

Nolan Arthur 17

Rose Marie 14 (15 next Monday [big Grin] )

Patricia Anne 10

James McNeil 9

Abigail Faith 17 months

Yes, that is 7 names, all biologically mine [Crazy]

Zanit, there is a wonderful book out called "What to expect while you're expecting" I very highly recommend it. My Dr gave it to me when I was pregnant with Rose and I must have read it cover to cover at least 4-5 times with each pregnancy.

Red, it's funny that you brought up breathing. I could never do that silly breathing they teach in class either. too much like hyperventilating. When I was in labor with Patricia I apparently forgot to breath and the nurse had to slap me and remind me I need to breath [Eek!]

Jen, the only choices of hospitals around my town are all at least 40 minutes away. It wasn't really a problem except with Rose. I went into labor in the middle of the night in a snowstorm. It took 1 1/2 of very scary driving to get there and once there Rose made her appearance within 1/2 hour. Way too close for me. I don't think I would be comfortable going over an hour drive to the Dr. if there was one closer.