Sign in to follow this  
ExtraHannah

Fagan Ongoing Pic Thread :- ) New Pics pg. 16

but this time they are of my foal! [Razz] This is the baby out of the mare that I took for a year in exchange for her foal. He's a Friesian/QH cross. Not the buckskin filly I requested, but I think he's pretty darn cute!

Fagan was born on the 12th at 9:40 PM. Unfortunately, although Momma had a huge bag, it turns out that she only had "pre-milk" as the vet put it. We quickly noticed that Fagan seemed to be constantly hungry - even more than a normal foal.

So, vet was called, "milk" was looked at, IgG was pulled and was low as expected. We bottle fed two bottles of colostrum, hopefully in time .

The mare's been getting oxytocin and domperidone. We've been supplementing just a bit with some formula. Enough for extra calories, but not enough to keep him from "working Mom's bag" to hopefully get that real milk to come in.

When I checked this morning, for the first time, the milk I got out of her had a whitish tinge, so I think we're getting there! The vet will be back out at 1 pm today to check things and pull another IgG. Lots of fingers and toes crossed! I want a healthy baby and I could really use some sleep!

Despite all of that, he's very strong and seems to be doing wonderfully. He got his first outing this morning and I got pics.

He's a smidge knock kneed, but not so surprising considering his size. He was 44" at the withers at birth! He should straighten out soon, though I'll get the vets opinion this afternoon, of course.

Pictured at 36 hours. Enjoy!

-

-

-

-

-

And a trot:

-

[ 06-29-2008, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: ExtraHannah ]

Thank you so much everyone!

It was very kind of Lorelei to foal early on Saturday night, so that Joe was here. I don't know how I would have done everything alone. [Crazy] What with shots every two hours for the mare, bottles for the foal, etc. etc. etc. we hardly had a chance to leave the barn. Thankfully, I do have a monitor, so I can watch from the house.

I also felt so lucky to be there for the whole birth. I actually went in and helped, as Lorelei was having a bit of trouble pushing that big ol' thing out. [Crazy]

silverdreamer, I'll send you a PM. [smiley Wavey]

lizafitz - His color was a surprise. We actually thought he was black until he dried off fully. The super light areas seem to have spread and gotten lighter already in 36 hours! I'm guessing he's just going to be a bay with a "mealy mouth" - LOL - isn't that what those light muzzles are called? It will be interesting to see if the rest of him stays a really dark bay or if he lightens up all over. Right now his back and neck still appear jet black, even in the sun.

SpottedT Rommie is due May 8th. She went 19 days early year before last, but her bag isn't as developed as it was then. So, I'm actually hoping she waits until closer to her date. I'd like to get a week or two of solid sleep before I have to start my next foal watch!

[Confused]

ETA: Rockabilly You are right, the mare has been such a good, sweet girl. Fagan had already imprinted on her udder (since he is getting stuff out) when we had to start supplementing. So, we found the only way to get a bottle in him is to crouch under the mare holding the bottle up against a teat. The fact that she yet to even attempt to remove my head while I am in that position means a lot to me! [big Grin]

[ 04-14-2008, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: ExtraHannah ]

[Yay] Fagan is adorable and he has some looong legs!

Lorelei did good on him!

quote:

Originally posted by Rockabillygal:

He looks like velvet! He is very cute. I have always liked that mare she looks like a real sweetheart.

he does look velvety. What a cutie

Well, fairly good news from the vet visit. Mom does now have milk. It's not quite as much as we would like to see though. It's hoped she will continue to increase production. At this point I'm supplementing with 8 oz every 4 hours. Not too bad, that's only once in the middle of the night.

My vet just kept saying, "Good grief he's HUGE"!

The second IgG came back as improved as well. He's in the 600-800 range. Not ideal, but the vet felt it was sufficient as long as I keep a close eye on him and she didn't feel a plasma transfer was necessary.

She also felt that his legs would straighten up just fine with exercise. Then, when we were almost done, he kicked her in the butt. [Embarrassed] Thankfully not very hard. I actually had to try not to laugh.

I guess I probably should have put this on the foaling board. I'm just so used to sharing my pics with all my friends down here on GCC.

Oh and he not only looks velvety, he feels just like velvet. I wish I could somehow post the feeling on the board so you could all run your fingers through his coat.

wow. He's going to have to work hard to get control of all those legs all at once!!!

I love his color. He's a Black and Tan. LOL

(OK, maybe I drink too much beer)

quote:

Originally posted by mrs:

wow. He's going to have to work hard to get control of all those legs all at once!!!

[ROTFL] A Black and Tan - I love it! That's a much easier answer when people ask. [Razz]

I've been studying. He obviously has the pangare (mealy) modifier. I'm guessing on a super, dark, bay base. I hope he keeps that really dark base - I think it's neat looking.

[ 04-14-2008, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: ExtraHannah ]

quote:

Originally posted by ExtraHannah:

quote:

Originally posted by mrs:

[ROTFL]

A Black and Tan - I love it! That's a much easier answer when people ask.
[Razz]

I've been studying. He obviously has the pangare (mealy) modifier. I'm guessing on a super, dark, bay base. I hope he keeps that really dark base - I think it's neat looking.

He looks like a mink or something. I can't tell for sure but mealey or sooty or both!

He looks like a brown. It would be cool if his base color stays as dark as he looks now. He's really sharp.

scapoose - even the vet asked me what the heck color he was! [Razz] The mare does have a bit of sooty/smutty thing going on, so the foal could have that too. She has fairly dark sooty marks across both shoulders, though that doesn't show well in the pictures here. You can kind of see how dark her wither/shoulder area is in the 4th picture down.

[ 04-14-2008, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: ExtraHannah ]

Well, I just couldn't resist taking a few more shots today (while I was supposedly cleaning stalls) and sharing them.

Cute little face:

-

-

-

Lorelei wanted a portrait too:

-

Fagan stood still for a minute or two and then it was back to practicing to be a race horse:

-

-

-

-

OK, I promise I'm done for awhile.

Can I squeeze him? Please? Just once, I swear I won't do it hard.

Gosh, he's such a handsome little creep!

Glad things are going well.

When's Rommie due?

Wow! Don't know how I missed this [Confused] , but he is super cute! Momma is lovely as well. He looks like he has quite the inquisitive personality. Congratulations!

I love him! That 2nd picture of him is beautiful, and love the action shots of him...He is very photogenic, as is his mom. Wow, what a cross!

Thank you for the compliments everyone! [big Grin] I think he's awfully cute, but I'm just a tiny bit biased.

RRR- Of course you can squeeze him. He would also love a chest scratch, that seems to be his favorite thing so far. [Razz] Rommie is due May 9th.

BigHeart - He is very inquisitive and outgoing! I could have kicked myself for missing a great shot of him sniffing noses with my dog through the fence. I didn't have my camera out yet. He has also already tasted the hay and licked the salt block. He really doesn't seem to care much where his Mom is, until he gets hungry of course.