Sign in to follow this  
ExtraHannah

Fagan Ongoing Pic Thread :- ) New Pics pg. 16

Oh my! He is so pretty. And those legs! The first thing I thought of when I saw him was that his coat looked like velvet.

Gosh, how did I miss this??? He's a beut - and look at those legs!!! Oh, my! I don't know what color he would be considered, but he sure is pretty!! I agree with the velvet comment, and I'll bet he DOES feel like velvet! EH, keep those pictures coming!!! Please!!!! [big Grin][big Grin]

EH - this little guy is really cute.

I had a colt that looked just like him - no one knew what color he would be - had all the same colors your colt has - plus the knock knee look. He outgrew the leg issue pretty quickly and turned out to be a big beautiful solid black beauty. He was out of a little chestnut mare and a big black stud - both quarter horses. It was a long time, though, before I could tell anyone what color he was. I wonder if the same thing will happen with your colt. It will be fun to see.

I thought I responded to this yesterday. [Question]

Anyhow, he is absolutely adorable and I am officially requesting you sit and take pics ALL DAY to share with us. [big Grin]

I don't want to deal with babies, but man when I see them I ALMOST change my mind..... [Duh]

That's interesting awyontv! I actually initially wondered if he might not be a smokey black. But, all of those that I've been around have been born more of a silver color, though often with tan inside the ears. I've never seen a smokey black marked like Fagan at birth. But then, I haven't known that many of them.

I'm guessing that's maybe what your colt was. If his sire looked black, he could have been a smokey black and passed the single cream gene on to his son.

I'm glad to hear that your guy's knock knees straightened up! I think I'm already seeing a minor improvement with Fagan's and the vet felt like they should self correct pretty quickly.

Smokey blacks sure can go through a really weird variety of color changes though. One of our Mini foals, Tempest, was born mouse grey with tan in his ears. Then he turned tan all over - LOL! Amazingly, as an adult, he just looked like a regular old black horse.

-

Wish I had a shot of him as an adult, but I promise he appeared black. Aren't colors fun??

[ 04-15-2008, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: ExtraHannah ]

I know everyone has said it, but I just have to say it again. LOOK AT THOSE LEGS!! [Eek!]

He is adorable and I'd love to snuggle him. I can only imagine how soft he is.

Wow! I don't get over to the GCC all that much, so I totally missed this!

Me thinks that all baby foals should be posted over on the foaling board! Then I would have seen this sooner!

[Razz]

Your foal is absolutely GORGEOUS! And I love his coloring! He's unique!!

So has he earned the barn name 'Velvet' yet? He certainly has been referred to as velvet enough times as I've been reading through this, and now I have to add that *I* think he looks like velvet too!

Can't WAIT for even more pics of him! [Wink]

[Jump][Jump][smiley Wavey]

WOW Really nice colt!

He is darker then most bay foals, really striking color! It's so vivid. Sometimes feels like they change color 5 times in the first year!

If he is Smokey Black he could have gotten the Cr from his mom.

Our black gelding has yellow ear fuzz. We have no idea what color his parents were since he was born in the wild. Plus hes a gelding we just never saw a reason to test him, but it is one of those curious questions..

audrey - I love taking pictures and I can't keep away from Fagan. So, until I start boring people, I expect I'll keep inundating everyone! [Razz]

I think it will be fun to take daily pictures for awhile, as they change so fast early on.

Anyway, I have to be at the barn at least every four hours. Downloading and fixing pics helps me stay awake in between visits. My brain is not functioning all that well at the moment.

-

EH,

Beautiful Boy! I just love his dark coloring....and everyone was right, it looks velvety! I understand about the Big thing, our vet said the same thing about Joker when he was born. She actually told me that it was the biggest foal she had seen in our area this year! He was 42 inches tall and about 130 pounds. I first measured him with the tape and got it wrong, we thought he was 95 pounds but my hubby re-measured him a few days after I did and he was 136 pounds so he probably was in the 125 to 130 range!! Enjoy and please don't forget to post lots of pictures!

Wow, how did I miss this thread Extre???

I love Fagan, he's gorgeous.

You can post pictures every day, we won't mind at all. [big Grin]

[Embarrassed] Ya'll are going to give Fagan and me a swelled head, but I'm glad everyone is enjoying the pictures. It's much more fun to have other horse people to share them with!

CoolKitty - I hadn't even thought of weight taping him. Is it fairly accurate on foals? I do know that he felt like he weighed at least 200 lbs when I was holding him for that first IgG blood draw! [Razz]

Draftie - it always makes me smile when you call me Extre - I don't know why. I pronounce it "ex-tree" in my head, is that how you think it?

Just a few more.

"Monkey see, monkey do"

-

-

And I think this is my favorite head shot yet:

-

Now that you've all seen how cute he is, who wants to come down/up and take over a midnight and 4 am feeding for me one night, so I can sleep all the way through???

ETA: I'm going to swap out that trough for a muck bucket. I had this horrible mental image of Fagan falling in, getting stuck and drowning. [Eek!]

[ 04-15-2008, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: ExtraHannah ]

His legs are soooo long, he can step in and out of the water trough.

quote:

I pronounce it "ex-tree" in my head, is that how you think it?

Bingo! [big Grin]

Awwww...I like that head shot the best too so far...So are you getting pictures tomorrow?

He is beautiful, but so are my guys, and they will be quite offended if I meander up to NC in the middle of the night to spend time with Fagan and then come back down here, fall asleep, and be late with their breakfast...So I'm going to have to pass...

[Wink]

Geez, I don't know how I've missed this. I've been waiting for one of your ladies to foal to see what they're holding. Fagan is a cutie! And I agree, those legs go on forever!! He's going to be a big boy when he finally grows into those [big Grin]

Those stilts...er...I mean, legs, would keep him safe in way more water than that trough holds, EH!

I have been gone for three days and SEE WHAT I MISSED!!!!!!!!

Extra - he is gorgeous and I know you are rightfully proud. What a stunner. Keep the pics rolling along there. Good luck with him. We will need updates all the time.

Ok, first, gorgeous fellow. No doubt. Velevet and long long legs, breathtaking colour, all that stuff.

But what just keeps sucking me in is his profile. He is going to have a very regal profile when he is all grown up. He has the slight nose bump I love so much. <3 If he turns up missing do NOT come looking for him here, hehehehe.

SERobins - Fescue is everywhere around here. It make things very challenging as it tends to creep into fields of any other grass!

I dry lotted the mare for the last four months of her pregnancy and she has been on strictly orchard grass and an orchard/timothy mix hay. That said, I had to use hay from several different suppliers this year and it is possible that there could have been a bit of fescue in some of the orchard bales. I was assured that there wasn't and I didn't see any, but I will admit to not being the best at recognizing different grasses. I guess you can never be sure without testing all of the bales.