Sign in to follow this  
ExtraHannah

Fagan Ongoing Pic Thread :- ) New Pics pg. 16

Awwww - thanks guys! He definitely thinks a lot of him self rats. [big Grin]

Draftie, the hernia is a defect in the body wall. So, basically, those are intestines dropping down and sitting behind the layer of skin. The worry is that a piece of intestine could possibly become strangulated in there. It's not very common that it happens, but it does need to be fixed. It's kinda gross, to check it, I squish those suckers back up into his body every day. [Razz] Oddly, that doesn't seem to bother him at all.

The hernia belt will hold everything up inside him and give his body wall a chance to close itself off, with nothing hanging down in the way.

I think I got all of that right. Although they are really common in foals, this is the first hernia I've had to deal with.

[ 06-29-2008, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: ExtraHannah ]

[big Grin] Drool.......

Can you get some pix with the hernia belt? Hope that works so he can avoid surgery. [Angel]

He is just so stunning! Its a shame his hernia didint heal on its own. Raisin had one but thankfully it healed its self just with me pushing it in for a few seconds a few times a day. I think Fagan and Raisin will be pretty much identical in color! You have the fancy sporthorse version, I have the fancy cow horse version LOL

Looks like he has a mohawk in that picture, hehe.

I had 2 foals that had to have the hernia surgery, it was easy on both of them. Both recovered really fast and well. All I had to do was spray some of that purple spray on the incision/stitches. And the stitches were dissolve-able so didn't have to worry about having anything removed. It didn't cost that much either, or at least not as much as I thought it would. Like just a little over $300 on one and under $300 on the other.

I enjoyed these pic's so much, takes my breath away, just how beautiful he is. I know you are having a blast with him, all the hard work, has payed off

I'm glad ya'll enjoy seeing my boy!

We constantly tease him about his mane. After he gets rained on, it gets wavy and sticks straight up in these funky, curly clumps. He looks just like a rock singer that spent hours with a jug of hair gel and a blow dryer. [big Grin] When I brushed it out this morning was the first time it has kind of laid over. I was beginning to think it would be a foot long and still sticking straight up. I think he's going to get the Friesian mane and tail as far as length and thickness goes.

Alleyway - I know, everyone keeps telling me about how easy the surgery is and about the disolvable sutures and such. Unfortunately, my vet clinic uses metal staples and requires complete confinement for at least two weeks. [Confused]

It wasn't going to be terribly expensive. They quoted me $400 to have the surgery and gelding done at the same time.

I actually haven't gotten a chance to talk to my vet since I've spoken to everyone on here. I don't know why they do things differently. I'm plan on asking, as diplomatically as possible. Anyway, I figured it was worth trying the belt.

I will get a picture of him in it. Unfortunately, the breast collar that keeps it from sliding back, is a little too big, so we have to make some modifications.

I don't think he'll be tough to get used to a saddle some day. He was a champ about putting the thing all around him, the velcro noise and constantly trying to readjust the breast collar.

He wore it for awhile today, until it became obvious it was going to slide back and hinder certain crucial bodily functions. After we took it off, I took the hose out there to cool him off. I've hosed his Mom off once before and just let him get the over spray, but he's never really been squirted.

Fagan was so funny. He was a little scared of it, but it felt so good, he wanted to get wet. He solved that issue, by backing into the hose. Anywhere I would spray he would walk backwards into the water and then stand there moving his butt around in it. [Cool]

We decided to go with CF Shameless Fagan. It seemed like it was about 50/50 on HC. However, every single person that knows him in person that I asked voted for Shameless. [Razz] I'm glad you reminded me - I need to get on with getting him registered now that I'm fairly confident what color to register him.

ETA: Good Grief - sorry for the novel and I still forgot to reply to audrey as I had meant too. Audrey, I'm really glad Raisin's hernia healed up on its own! Lucky duck. They would make a cute pair wouldn't they?? I love your boy!

[ 06-29-2008, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: ExtraHannah ]

WOW! I ditto rattus too! Presence! Looks to have a beautiful floaty trot too.

He is gorgeous EH and I love the name [smile]

quote:

Originally posted by rattusrat:

My goodness, he just has, what's the word.....presence.....yeah, that's it! He is one gorgeous boy!
[smile]

Exactly what I was thinking.

I love the picture of him with his dam. Beautiful!