Sign in to follow this  
MareKrazed

Mare Foaled, Now Colicing...They're Home!!! Update pg 17 & pics pg 3, 12 & 16

Our mare Iana foaled yesterday. The baby is fine, he is healthy. But the mare is not doing well. She was not acting right yesterday morning. Vet was called at 7:30am for a well mare/foal check. About 9:30am Iana started acting pretty crampy and didn't seem well. Vet was called again; and he told us to give her banamine. We did. She felt a little better. At 3 while still waiting on the vet she was acting poor again. More banamine. Vet called numerous times. She went down repeatedly. Finally we called another vet at a surgery center - they said to bring her in. This was yesterday at 5ish. She has been there all night. She is refluxing - nothing is going through her GI tract. Her large colon is huge and distended and gassy. She has lots of hard dry manure in there. They hung fluids all night and she did sort of well. But this morning she is still refluxing and the vet is looking towards surgery. I just ask for prayers please. Prayers that she can do well with out the surgery or that if she does have to have the surgery it is easy and she does well. I don't think I can bear to tell my little boy that his horse died today. I just can't......

I'm sorry if this doesn't make much sense; I haven't slept and am just not keeping it together well right now. Thank you all in advance.

[ 05-20-2008, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: MareKrazed ]

Oh my goodness - it seems to have been such an awful year for horses, especially mare's and foals.

Lots and lots of good thoughts for your mare. Hang in there. [Huggy][Huggy][Huggy]

I am so sorry for what you are going through. When it is your childs horse it triples the stress level on you. Sending many prayers from NC. [Angel][Angel][Angel][Angel][Angel][Angel]

Sending prayers your way [Huggy]

I just a few minutes ago was thinking how very lucky over the years with safe mare/foal deliveries.

I hope she can come through this without surgery. This happened to a standardbred brood mare I cared for. But she foaled at the the breeding farm, and by the time someone actually noticed she was down, she had twisted her gut. Her owner did opt for the surgery, and she came through okay, but her foal had to be put with a nurse mare. Hopefully, since you caught it immediately, you won't have to go through that. [Huggy]

I am so sorry to hear this Mare.

Take comfort in the fact she's where she needs to be for quick intervention.

[Huggy][Huggy][Huggy][Huggy]

[Angel][Angel][Angel]

Your post made perfect sense to me, since I'm in ICU. It figures that if you gave her Banamine at 9:30AM it would be wearing off by about 3PM. Glad you got her into a hospital, so if she DOES require surgery no time will be wasted. I'm hoping fluid therapy and refluxing will work. Also paid meds as needed. If Lana were in my ICU, I'd be parked in front of her stall, monitoring her every move. I've seen quite a few cases like yours, and it is amazing how our vets can get them on the road to recovery in a hurry. It just can be terribly tense getting from point A to point B, if that makes any sense.

Lots of prayers on the way. Feel free to PM me.

Oh no! Oh no! Oh no!! [Frown] I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. Sending TONS of prayers for that beautiful Iana!! Praying that she will get well quickly!

[Angel][Angel][Angel][Angel][Angel][Angel][Huggy]

Thank you everyone.

She had surgery. Her large colon was very distended and had pushed all of her small intestines up in front of her stomach. So, they decompressed her large colon and felt all about her small intestines. All went as well as it could go. She had a really rough recovery, per the vet - we were sent away for that part. She is now up and bandaged in the stall with the baby. He is nursing and she was shaky but ok. Please still keep her and the baby in your prayers, they aren't out of the woods yet. But she is a lot better now than she was 12 hours ago.

Panda - thanks, she well may be at your clinc. She is in aubrey at Weems and Stephens.....they have saved three of our horses already we owe them the world.