Sign in to follow this  
MareKrazed

Mare Foaled, Now Colicing...They're Home!!! Update pg 17 & pics pg 3, 12 & 16

Nope, sorry, no news yet. Which is sort of a good thing. The surgeon seems to not call until later in the day (around noonish or later)so I'm always of the mind that no news is good news.

As of last update no big progress but no regression. We need her to poop. He palpated her yesterday and got out more of that dry manure.

We are having pretty major storms here last night and this morning I wonder how that will affect her.

Baby had to have an enema yesterday as he was straining to poop. I'm guessing that is b/c of the formula. They only had to tube him once yesterday for a feeding. Poor Iana, she is still producing milk for shorty.

I'll update after I hear something today. I'm praying to hear some hope in the report today. She has to start making SOME progress.....she just has to........ [Me Cry]

[Frown]

I keep coming here hoping to hear that she is all BETTER! Oh well... like you say, no news is good news.

I think about your mare daily. Praying very hard for POOP! And what a thing to pray for!

[Angel][Angel][Angel][Angel][Angel][Huggy]

First, thank you all for the prayers for poop; it may be starting to work!!!!

Here is the update:

Surgeon said that she looked better today than she has the last two days. Not to get hopes up, she is still critical and day to day. He palpated her and the oil was in her rectum - why she won't pass it, he doesn't know; but things are moving. He allowed her in a grass paddock for a couple hours and she ate the whole time. He said that she may be a horse that just takes a long recovery. Baby is doing fine, they have tubed him today once and so far no more enemas.

I feel better knowing that he sounded a bit more optimistic today. Even though it isn't the best news possible I think it is good news none the less.

I've been following your updates and keeping my fingers crossed. Some horses seem to take longer than others....many nights I'll have the vet sound "not so optimistic" about a patient and by the next morning the horse has pooped like crazy. Other times the night passes, but nothing else.

If lana is producing milk, why are they feeding Shorty formula? Normally in those cases I'm milking the mare every hour and then feeding the foal milk instead of formula. I assume that Shorty got enough colostrum in the first 24 hours before lana coliced so that won't be an issue.

I've been following this thread, and I will continue to keep you, your beautiful Iana and her colt in my thoughts and prayers.....

[Huggy][Angel][Huggy][Angel][Huggy]

Praying for POOP!!!!!!

Yee Haw!!! PROGRESS!!! [Yay][Jump][Yay]

Any good update is cause for celebration, right??!

I will still be praying for poop though... LOTS of poop! Nothing bad must happen to that beautiful mare!

[Angel][Angel][Angel][Angel][Huggy]

quote:

Originally posted by Panda 92009:

I've been following your updates and keeping my fingers crossed. Some horses seem to take longer than others....many nights I'll have the vet sound "not so optimistic" about a patient and by the next morning the horse has pooped like crazy. Other times the night passes, but nothing else.

If lana is producing milk, why are they feeding Shorty formula? Normally in those cases I'm milking the mare every hour and then feeding the foal milk instead of formula. I assume that Shorty got enough colostrum in the first 24 hours before lana coliced so that won't be an issue.

She is producing milk; but not enough. She hasn't eaten since Saturday morning and had the surgery Sunday. They are still letting him nurse but supplementing him just in case. Is that not normal? Will the formula cause constipation - like yesterday? He did get enough colostrum and his IgG was great. I think that by making sure he has a full tummy they are trying to get him to let Iana rest a bit too....but that is just an assumption on my part...

I am so sorry I missed this before. I am happy to hear that all is beginning to look better and my prayers are with you and Lana. [Huggy][Angel][Huggy][Angel]

Still no more news; won't have more until tomorrow....I hope. But I got around to downloading some pics from his birthday and just after Iana's surgery.....here is a little slide show:

-

Thanks again for all the good thoughts and prayers!!

Iana pooped!!!!! Surgeon said she is doing good!!!! Her WBC is low and he is going to keep her on abx for a few more days; but as long as she keeps on like she is she is doing great!!! Woo hoo!!!!!!!

quote:

Originally posted by MareKrazed:

Iana pooped!!!!!!

[Me Cry] <<<< TEARS OF JOY!!!

YEE HAW!!!!!!

[Yay][Jump][Yay][Jump][Yay][Jump][Yay]

Edited cuz the prayers for poop have been answered!

[ 05-15-2008, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: ChaunceyBlue ]