PaintHorseKate81

A little sumthin sumthin for Jack Baumgartner. . . Part II. . . come join in!

Guess they're going in April now. Everything I've read about the Schoelkopfs don't really list them as super collectable unless you get a real old one. They are suppose to be a pretty well made saddle that was a fairly affordable, working saddle. We're hoping that it doesn't require any work, but it's hard telling when you are relying on people that don't really have a clue what they're looking for. I guess as long as the tree's good and the leather's not completely dry, we can always have it reconditioned like we did with her last saddle that came from her uncle.

Hey, Kate, stop in and give us a full report!

Hasta whenever :smileywavey:

I swear I haven't abandoned you Jack! Just been crazy crazy CRAZY busy here. . . and I've tried to get over here a couple times. . . but the new format wasn't liking my computer for awhile. Seems to be workin just dandy now though!

So a full report huh? Geez. . . this might wind up being a novel. . . are you ready for that? lol

Lets see. . . start with what's keeping me busy busy I guess. My bestest bud here in NC, Chris. . . we've embarked on a business venture together. We're getting into the photography biz. . . but a very specialized avenue. We're focusing on costumed photography, primarily working with children. We've got a kids cowboy party booked for the beginning of April (thank goodness we've got a good stockpile of cowboy costumes). . . Im pretty sure Lando will be making his first professional modeling appearance at this event. . . He makes such a good cowboy pony, after all. :smilie: In May we've got two definite and a possible third booking. . . One is a fund raiser for the local community pet center, We'll have two sets. . . our cowboy/prairie costumes, and then a fairy princess set up. . . We'll donate a portion of our proceeds to the shelter and hopefully get some really good publicity. We are also doing a fairy princess party for two little girls. . . We're on a limited budget so we are constructing most of our own backdrops and set props. We're building giant mushrooms and toadstools for our little fairies to perch on for their photos. Our craft room is a huge heaping pile of glitter and tulle and bright fabrics. We may also set up at my towns Spring Festival on the first weekend of May. . . haven't decided definitely on that yet. So anyways. . . preparations for all this has taken up the bulk of my time lately. . . Oh. . . we're also tossing around the idea of actually getting a pony so we can ad 'pony pictures' to our business capabilities.

Lets see. . . what else. . . OH! My little sister had her first baby on January 5th. Still haven't made it home to meet my new niece, Olivia. . . but finally have a set date for my flight. My eldest brother took pity on his poor (literally) sister and bought me a plane ticket home. So I'll get to see all my family and meet my new niece in April. That's got me excited, as I haven't been home to visit since last June.

The weather has been getting nicer, and it's staying light longer. . . so I've been getting to ride a bit more. . . Friday when I was riding, Lando buggered at some deer that busted out of the trees when we were cantering through the pasture along a creek at the barn. . . he went one way. . . I lost both stirrups and thought I was going off. . . and dangit if the the ground didn't look HARD. I grabbed horn and somehow managed to get my self back in the saddle before I totally lost it. Was a bit sore. . . but thank goodness my horse doesn't do the blind panic bolt when he gets startled.

Saturday was a red letter day for Lando and me. He's never gone through water or been confronted with a water crossing. Basically just due to the fact that I had no truck/trailer to haul anywhere before i moved. . . and where I boarded certainly didn't have any water crossings.

Anyways. . . the BO has been working to clear out more trails on the back part of the property. . . which is across the creek. They also cleared a relatively safe approach to cross over the creek. It took about ten minutes to get Lando INTO the water at the outset. . . but my pal Chris was on her mare, and Lando has a thing for the ladies. So with the mare already upstream, it didn't take TOO much convincing to get him over his initial hesitation. Once he realized he wasn't going to die if he put his toes in the water things just went swimmingly... We'd started off at a shallow watering spot. So we moved on to the actual crossing after that. . . It's a sandy approach on the crossing, but a little steep before it levels off. . . then on the other side of the creek is about a 4ft bank that you have to scramble up. . . Lando handled it GREAT! Going UP the bank wasnt an issue, which I didn't expect it to be. . . Lando LOVES going UP. lol I was more concerned with going DOWN the bank. . . Lando has a tendancy to be clumsy with his feet and he's still getting the hang of going DOWNHILL. LOL. . . but he was ever so careful picking his way down the bank and stepping carefully into the water. I tell ya what. . . It may be a small thing for most folks. . . but it's a HUGE hurdle for me and Lando! Most all of the parks and trail systems in this area have water crossings. . . now I know I wont have issues, and will relax and enjoy the rides without worrying that Lando might bugger out!

OH. . . Chris and I are also hoping to participate in some Extreme Cowboy Races this spring and summer, as funding allows. I will most definitely be sharing pictures of THAT. . . Even if it includes pics of me lookin like a doof or flying over Lando's head as he says. . . 'oh HECK NO! I'm not doing THAT!'

Well. . . for the moment, I think that's a pretty good sum up of my last month or so. . .

I hope y'all are doing just fantastic! :-)

Kate ~ Thanks for posting! I've been needing my infusion of Kate activity. Those pony parties made me think of my "adapted" daughter Angela. She used to take a pony or two to kids' birthday parties. Everyone got to ride and they could take pictures of the kids on the ponies. My daughter Tracey had her come to my granddaughter Erin's birthday party. Everyone got multiple rides and Tracey took lots of pictures of the kids "a-horseback", so Erin could enclose photos along with the thank you notes. That way, kids could show their parents how they looked aboard a pony. I admire your entrepreneurial spirit.

My birthday is also on January 5th. See, if your sister had known me, she could have named her baby Jacqueline. Or Gus, as Robert Duvall's birthday is also on the 5th.

I hope you're ready to keep me company when March rolls around. My wife leaves on her yearly cruise on the 13th and comes back on the 27th. This time it's a celebration of her older sister's and her husband's 50th wedding anniversary. Their two kids will be on the cruise, along with their spouses, with Jerrie and her older brother completing the party.

They'll cruise the Caribbean Sea and Gulf of Mexico, and I think they might stop and visit Cancun. It will be a nice break from this nasty winter weather.

I'll stay home, as I don't like to travel in a group and I'm not fond of the idea of going on a cruise.

So I went hiking at Whitewater Falls in Sapphire, NC on Saturday with my bestest bud Chris, and her hubby Dave. BEAUTIFUL! Even if there was very little by way of green foliage. Honestly it's kind of cool. . . we could see the top of the falls when we were down on the river... I imagine once the trees leaf out that view is obscured.

anyways. . . on to pics. . . Chris nabbed some of me scrambling over the boulders and such taking pics. . .

183270_499878362092_591002092_6597922_5797090_n.jpg

Is it just me, or does that sweater make me look like a husky linebacker from behind?

180145_499878092092_591002092_6597909_1392264_n.jpg

182601_499877587092_591002092_6597890_279348_n.jpg

183210_499876532092_591002092_6597862_8240335_n.jpg

180618_499867177092_591002092_6597681_175758_n.jpg

183433_499869392092_591002092_6597715_444183_n.jpg

OK. . . enough of me. . . next post. . . pics of the water fall

more pics

Lake Toxaway(I think)

View from the top of the trail

183647_1692403542965_1024059123_31537650_6212866_n.jpg

First view of the Falls

182024_1692404382986_1024059123_31537655_5630586_n.jpg

182965_1692405023002_1024059123_31537658_3973814_n.jpg

183465_1692407663068_1024059123_31537672_266789_n.jpg

183247_1692409103104_1024059123_31537680_5882317_n.jpg

184650_1692409463113_1024059123_31537683_6577298_n.jpg

Down on the river

183184_1692416743295_1024059123_31537724_6639682_n.jpg

183361_1692420503389_1024059123_31537740_3767359_n.jpg

And ya know what? There's a ton more pics. . . and I wont overload y'all. . . but if you want to see the rest. . . here's the link to my FB album

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2085894&id=1024059123&l=9634875994

Howdy everybody!! Hope everyone is starting to thaw out by now. We had some bodacious storms with tornado warnings this afternoon. I almost wished for snow instead!! :rotf:

All those January birthdays! Guess I'm in good company. Mine was January 29th. I don't have birthdays anymore, I have UN~birthdays!!

Jack~ I didn't know you were a fan of Mr. Duvall. I met him at a field trial many years ago (right after the Lonesome Dove movie)with his dog named Woodrow. Seriously!

PHK~ Glad you're back and nice pictures!!

palo~ Did I understand you are moving East?? How far East?? My husband was from St. Louis.

0115111201.jpg

0115111203.jpg0115111204.jpg

IMG_0083-1.jpg

Finally figured out how to post pictures. Jack~ The first 3 are of the Mexican Parade saddle from the 60's. The last photo (I'm hiding behind the horse) is the Wade tree saddle I had made by a saddle maker here in NC.

Jack~try to stay out of trouble while your wife is globe trotting!!

Hey Graywolf 1 ~ What is the maker's name on that Mexican saddle? Is it Trevino of Monterrey? Looks kinda fancy.

I always behave when my wife goes on her yearly cruise. I'm too old to get in trouble. For this trip even her sister's grandchildren will be along. I thought they were going to stop at Cancun, but my wife mentioned some other place.

Jack~ I've looked all over for a maker on that saddle. I saw one like it on ebay that was black. They were asking a bundle for it. $1,300.00 or more. WWWAAAYY too much for a saddle like this. The screws for the conchos on the cantle extend way past where they should be(flush). I need to give it a good oiling but I'd be afraid to ride in it. I am planning to find some plain tapaderos to put on my Wade and add some conchos to the saddle. I bought a beautiful mohair mecate that was from the 40's. The leather popper was beyond saving, so when I cleaned the mecate the popper fell apart. I had a strand of leather and pulled it through (thank goodness) and cut the leather to match the original braided end. It is a lot easier on the hands than the old horse hair ones I've tried!!

If you have any secrets about where to look for a maker on that saddle I'd be much obliged! :smileywavey:

Seems to me a saddle maker who is proud of his work would put his name in a prominent place on a saddle.

I have some old tapaderos, both mounted on stirrups and un-mounted, but they are dark-colored. I saw some new ones that Akers Ranch had advertised on ebay that are light-colored and would probably look good on your Wade.

Yea You'd think there would be! The leather seems a little iffy in the girth strap so that's why it will ALL get a good going over before I even think about using it! :rotf:

I don't mind if the tapederos are dark Jack. If you have a pair with stirrups that are not stamped (even Eagle head!) let me know how much you'll take for them. Please don't take them off an existing saddle though! I'm not in a big hurry.

I like dealing with Akers BUT have had issues with them around Christmas which I won't get into here. :smileywavey:

Graywolf...no I'm not moving east. I will never live east of the river ever again. My wife's aunt and uncle are moving east. They are moving from Austin to Baltimore.

Speaking of Robert Duvall, their daughter was in a movie with him. She's in "Secondhand Lions" but she wasn't on set with him.

Greetings All!

Nothing much of interest going on with me so far this week. . . Monday, I worked. Tuesday, I worked some more. The same for Wednesday, and today as well. Gee whiz! how exciting! OH! And did I forget to mention! I work TOMORROW too! LOL. . . such is the life of a single gal workin to support herself and her critters. :winking:

Cant wait for the weekend though! Spring is well and truly upon us here in the Carolinas (hoping I dont jinx it! LOL) There is still some chill left up in the mountains, and apparently this coming weekend is the last for tubing and sledding on some of the mountain slopes. . . So I might. . . MIGHT be going for a late night of fun in the (artificial) snow tomorrow after work... We'll see if it pans out. . . but I'll have my camera. . . and my mittens, just in case.

Not quite sure what is on the agenda for Saturday, yet. There was some talk about going hiking again. . . different waterfall, less challenging terrain. And as much fun as it sounds. . . I'm actually kinda hoping I can steer plans a different direction. . . It's supposed to be pretty nice on Saturday. . . low sixties, though cloudy. I want to load up the horses and go riding along the river. . . I'll see if I can come up with some persuasive arguments for that. Might go see a movie on Saturday evening as well. . . just gotta see how the money situation is after I pay bills. (durned bills always gettin in the way of my fun times!)

Sunday. . . hmmm. . . Well, church in the morning. . . then a little lunch thingy after that. . . I'm making guacamole. And if it isn't raining. . . possibly even if it IS raining. . . I think I'll go riding.

I'm crazy, I know. . . but I honestly cant wait for the time change this weekend so I have more daylight left after work. . . Makes it much easier to squeeze in weekday rides when I can actually SEE when I get to the barn!

Alrighty. . . see. . . what did I tell you! Nothing exciting here. . .

Hope y'all are having a swell week!

Graywolf, there were a couple sets of taps sold last night at the tack auction. A used dark oil set w/ stirrups and a little floral tooling sold for $35. A couple sets of new, untooled sets w/ stirrups sold for around $25. Had some decent saddles including several Bona Allens, some newer OK made Billy Cooks, an old Circle Y arabian, some Muellers, a Miller and a really nice Veach that used to be made just northwest of here. Most were selling at well over $400 which is kind of unusual because they rarely have that many decent saddles at one time.

Today we're going to look at a couple of stallions with our friend. One is 16 years old and only has one eye so we hope that hurts him in the sale ring. He's an own son of Doc's Hickory and out of an own daughter of Freckle's Playboy and is a cutting fool (locally they call him the "one-eyed freak") but a lot of people don't know he can still cut.

PO~ Good luck at the sale! Good old QH bloodlines there. The prices on the taps are great. I'll have to check around here but the cheapest I've found was around $80.00. Probably because no one uses them around here! :rotf: I was toying around with taking the leather rosettes off my Wade and putting on some conchos but I have lost steam in the pursuit. Does that make any sense?? Oh well..my husband has been in and out of the doctors office having melanomas removed so he is OFF DUTY at the barn until further notice. The weather here has been up and down so I'm trying to get the nerve to ride outside the round pen. I have NO riding buddies around here and John, my better half, is a rank novice and hasn't ridden in four years. I have him pull up a chair and "babysit" me while I work the two rocky horses. Not much going on around here but the crocus, jonquils, and forsythia bushes are starting to bloom! Maybe Spring is right around the corner!!

IMG_0020-1-1.jpg

Nobody uses them around here either, I think all of them were bought by out-of-staters.

Our friend got her stallion, Hickplay. And we bought a litle Pitzer bred yearling stud colt.

Graywolf 1 ~ I have three sets of tapaderos, two sets mounted on stirrups and one pair unmounted. The mounted ones are basket stamped and the loose pair are stamped in various ways. I once had a Bona Allen "Wheel 'n' Deal Cutter" with long tapaderos and saddlebags carved to match the saddle. I sold the outfit and turned around and bought back the taps and saddlebags, as the guy thought they were too heavy.

They matched the tooling on my personal saddle. I had them hanging in my tackroom. A friend who was a collector saw them and wanted to buy them. I told him no way. He asked what it would take to buy them. I told him $300.00. He began counting money. I really made out on that outfit. I made $875.00 profit on everything.

Spent a long, very chilly and very soggy day out in the elements working. Horses dont stop eating/pooping/etc just b/c it's raining. ALAS. . . I'm so very tired right now.

Just popping in to say hello. I hope y'all are having a good week! Catch y'all later! I'm off to bed.

My wife leaves on Sunday morning for a short (five day) cruise, then will spend a week or so at her sister's in Texas. Hope she gets to see some flowers in bloom, like Bluebonnets or Indian Paintbrush.perhaps it's too early for the flowers, I don't know.

It's gonna get mighty lonesome around here, so keep me occupied, okay?

My wife left yesterday to go on that cruise. There's a whole bunch of her family along to celebrate her sister and brother-in-law's fiftieth anniversary. After the cruise , Jerrie will stay another week in Texas to visit with her sister.

In the meantime I'll hold down the fort here at Wistful Vista. Went with our daughter and granddaughter today to an ice cream parlor and pigged out. They'll help keep me occupied while Mom's away.

Went to a 4H tack sale and swap meet yesterday at the fairgrounds. Bought a summer straw and sold that new saddle I won at the auction. I wholesaled it to a gal who deals in tack.

Hey Jack!

So you've got the house to yourself for a bit eh?

Im a firm believer in the benefits of an occasional ice cream pig out. Sounds like you enjoyed yours!

And way to go on selling the saddle you won! Thats basically free money, right!?!?!? :happy0203:

My friend Chris and I hit up a local little tack and horse auction on Saturday night. I got a new bridle for Lando. I think he looks downright handsome in it.

We did some exploring on some of the new trails that the barn owner has been clearing across the creek on their property. Which is awesome. . . because now Lando is getting lots of practice on his water crossings. It's all very new to him, but he gets brave and confident really quick once he realizes that he can tackle these obstacles without a problem. Yesterday (sunday) was only the second time we've taken on water crossings. . . He handled em like a champ! I'll admit to being a bit of a proud mama. Cant help it. . . he's my baby and I'm so proud when he gets something quickly. (I'm such a girl when it comes to my horse! hehe)

Anyways. . . it was a lovely ride. . . I'll share a few pics

Lando's new bridle

189657_1716564826982_1024059123_31574644_2286580_n.jpg

My friend Chris and her 23yr old Arab over the barrels

200656_1716566747030_1024059123_31574653_4730389_n.jpg

183324_1716567827057_1024059123_31574658_3388596_n.jpg

188442_1716567267043_1024059123_31574655_7544291_n.jpg

196942_1716569147090_1024059123_31574665_1939181_n.jpg

Hi Folks!

I received my conchos today. Hope to get them on by this weekend when I oil up the saddle again. I ordered a headstall for Johns horse from National Roper Supply but it's still on backorder. I've been riding around in the pastures and round pen trying to get over the jitters after my fall.

PaintHorse, I hope my horse retains his training crossing creeks! It was really nice to casually walk across. My white horse loves to jump them ala Lipizzaner style. Me.... not so much! :twitch:

Jack, with all the junk going on in the world (including Mexico!) they would have to pay ME to go on a cruise!

Palomino, do you have any pictures of your colt? I'm not familiar with the Pitzer lines.

Temps will be in the low 70's this weekend! I'm going to work on some wet saddle blankets! :grin:

Graywolf 1 ~ I don't go on cruises because I don't like to go on group trips. "Okay, everyone, it's time we do A B or C." No thanks. I remember my mom telling me about a Rudyard kipling poem when I was young. It was called The Winners. The line went: "Down to Gahenna*, or up to the Throne, He travels fastest who travels alone."

*in the New Testament, He-ll.

I took it to heart.

Edited by Jack Baumgartner

I'm with you there~ more than a little claustrophobic too! I've got to schedule a MRI on my shoulder. Since I can't take ANY narcotics I have no idea how they plan to keep me in that tube! :twitch: I've got to get some shut eye! G'nite all!

Edited by Graywolf 1

Graywolf, If you are around foundation QHs, or rope horses very much you should know the Pitzer Ranch breeding program's bloodlines. Two Eyed Jack is a result of the Pitzer

Ranch's breeding program. Our little colt is a grandson of their current main herd sire, Two Eyed Red Buck.

Sire's pedigree:

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/time+for+red+buck

Dam's pedigree:

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/spiffet

We call him Spiffy:

leftside.jpg

Looking at colts is funny..... sometimes they look like a miniature of what they'll be as an adult, and other times they remind me of a gawky teenager, all angular-looking. But it's nice watching them grow into their potential. Next to solid bays, I liked buckskins. Of course, being a trader, I had all kinds and colors come through the place. Even had a grandson of Secretariat. Couldn't get him sold around here, so I sent him with Biggie, who had a customer. See, we'd picked him up at an auction, and the seller (the trainer) said she had to get the owner's signature on the papers. All we knew was that he was a four-year-old Thoroughbred.

Six weeks later, I got a call from the ownwer's daughter. She said, "Jack, I've had these papers sitting on my desk forever and keep forgetting to call you. Wanna come get them?" That's when I found out his breeding. I hadn't been asking enough for him! There are some big, fancy-schmancy English stables around here. Somebody would have given the long dollar just for the bragging rights to say they had a grandson of Secretariat. He had been to the track, but didn't want to be a racehorse. Just a big, quiet, lazy easy-going horse.

My wife is probably back in Texas by now. She loves going there in the spring and seeing the Bluebonnets and Indian Paintbrush in bloom. Hope she gets to see them this trip. She gets treated like royalty while there and just glows when she gets back.

So Chris and I took her nephew to a little Renaissance Festival that the middle school put on yesterday. Of COURSE we had to go in costume! grin.gif And have to say. . . little Noah was the BEST DRESSED kid there! I think Chris and I were NEARLY as well dresed as he was. . . though I gotta admit. The fit on my dress/bodice needs some tweaking. I made it when I was 20lbs heavier and it shifts and bunches in places. . . not exactly the slim, pleasing lines I was going for, ya know? lol

After a bit at the faire, we went out for lunch noms at a local mexican restaurant. DEFINITELY got some strange looks from the other patrons and the wait staff. hehe

And then we had the grand, bright idea to. . . head to the barn! Take some pictures there! smiley.gif On horseback! YAY For costume pics on horses!

Anyways. . . lots and lots of fun. . . Waaaay tired right now. . . But not so tired I cant share some photos with y'all!

Little Noah's AWESOME outfit

199326_1726959926853_1024059123_31588279_3387136_n.jpg

189342_1726960966879_1024059123_31588283_7279895_n.jpg

Chris made her dress. . . with a little help from me on fit and pattern modifications

200722_1726960126858_1024059123_31588280_5385141_n.jpg

199539_1726960606870_1024059123_31588281_7014640_n.jpg

Me and my dress... Made this one a couple years ago. . . and I've lost weight so the bodice really is far too big. . . loose and bunchy in all the wrong places. . . but yah.

200122_1726961526893_1024059123_31588285_4567640_n.jpg

188939_1726963166934_1024059123_31588290_982236_n.jpg

189154_1726963686947_1024059123_31588291_700389_n.jpg

197119_1726964446966_1024059123_31588294_5385593_n.jpg

190674_1726965246986_1024059123_31588297_1262199_n.jpg

200185_1726965646996_1024059123_31588298_2660211_n.jpg

And that's all folks!

So today. . . we're hauling our horses to the one farm thats pretty local that hosts cowboy races. We're going to play on their cowboy course. . . try some new things. Lando's gonna meet the cowboy curtain! And the Three Step! hehe Way excited!

Kate ~ Noah looks like the perfect squire for two fair maidens! Or was he dubbed a knight? Well, a knight can be a squire for some fair maidens! I'll bet you had a great time. Maidens a-horseback is a nice touch.

Kate ~ Noah looks like the perfect squire for two fair maidens! Or was he dubbed a knight? Well, a knight can be a squire for some fair maidens! I'll bet you had a great time. Maidens a-horseback is a nice touch.