PaintHorseKate81

A little sumthin sumthin for Jack Baumgartner. . . Part II. . . come join in!

Kate ~ Noah looks like the perfect squire for two fair maidens! Or was he dubbed a knight? Well, a knight can be a squire for some fair maidens! I'll bet you had a great time. Maidens a-horseback is a nice touch.

What fun, Kate!I always wanted to "dress up" with my horses! The only time I got to do it was for Christmas Parades and that of course had to have a holiday theme. I did try to go above and beyond with decorating my horse one year all decked out in red, white and blue. The most people would do to dress up their horses was put a Santa hat on themselves, antlers on their horse, and a red saddle pad to finish it off. :confused0024: Most wouldn't even dress themselves. They would wear their old blue jeans and a tee shirt or sweat shirt. I just got tired of putting so much effort into "the event" only to have others care less. I DID enjoy when their horses were afraid of all the tinsel and lights on him. Possum still LOVES his jingle bells! :rotf:

Kate where ever did you learn to sew like that!? Great costumes!!

p_o~ I finally remember reading about the Pitzer remuda from Western Horseman magazine. :duh: I just saw a beautiful Pitzer bred bay colt for sale in Washington state on equinenow.com for 1800.00.

Jack~ Both of my T-breds were from Bold Monarch Bold Ruler bloodlines which goes back to the infamous Man-O-War. I knew how much my mare was worth. I tried to get her cleaned up internally (she had an absorbed fetus, my Vet said)to get her bred. GAVE her away at age 16 so she could be put out to pasture and she live covered with a QH stallion!! :duh: :duh:

My T-bred gelding was a sweetheart and did the BEST rollbacks I've ever ridden. His only vice was grinding his teeth when trail riding. It just wasn't his cup-a-tea. :(

Jack~ Hope you wife comes home all glowey!! Empty house is only fun for a little while!

I hope he stays buckskin, but he'll probably be a gray. Mom is almost white, and they sold two more of her babies (an older mare and a 3 yo gelding) and they were both gray.

Jack, as a trader why would you want bays? Unless you are selling to English people, color always sells better than a sorrel or bay, and geldings always sell better than mares. There are always trendy colors that sell better than others. The last few years roans have been hot, before that it was grullas. But any color sells better than sorrels or bays.

My step-daughter has a friend that showed in 4-H, an Appendix QH grandson of Secratariat.

p-o ~ Bay is my personal preference. I've had all sorts of colors go through my barn. My partner, Biggie, was a gypsy trader who traded though several states. I could tell him I had a customer who was looking for a certain breed, of a certain color, and within a week or two he'd pull in with just what would sell. We had an agreement between us that we wouldn't misrepresent a horse. We stood behind what we sold. Had lots of repeat buyers and referrals.

Hasta whenever :smileywavey:

So on Sunday, my bestest bud, Chris and I hauled our horses to a local farm that hosts extreme cowboy races. We spent about four hours playing on their obstacle course. OH MY BUNNY! We had such a blast!

Chris was on her 23 yrs young Arab. . . and I was obviously on my Lando. Our game plan was just to take it easy and slow on the different obstacles. The course is well stocked. . . deep ditches, moguls, winding trenches, water crossings, log jumps, a teeter totter bridge, cowboy curtain, etc.

Chris had some issues with the cowboy curtain. Her arab is very VERY touchy about his head. Issues he's had since she got him years ago. She did eventually manage to lead him through several times, but he wasn't having any of being ridden through.

Lando did awesome on the curtain though! I let him check it out really good, let him check it out and realize he could move it with his nose. Led him through four or five times so he got the feel of the flaps brushing his head and neck and sides. Took a couple minutes for him to figure out how to get through without me leading him. I'll tell ya what though. . . once he figured it out he HAD it. We'd approach and his ears were always forward, and he'd start stretching out his nose to find the gap in the plastic that he liked. By the end of the day he was trotting through the curtains without the slightest hesitation.

188252_1728807053030_1024059123_31591886_4268757_n.jpg

Lando didnt even blink at the teeter totter! I've seen horses bugger off the side of it when it tips down, or just flat out refuse to step foot on it. 200769_1728807453040_1024059123_31591888_1652243_n.jpg

196608_1728807653045_1024059123_31591889_6036459_n.jpg

The moguls are actually very deceptive to look at. They look like nice, easy mounds of dirt. . . but the suckers are steep. The idea on the is to take them dead center, up one side and down the other, while maintaining whatever gait you entered the obstacle at. . . WAY harder than it sounds or looks!

199835_1728807813049_1024059123_31591890_421329_n.jpg

188424_1728808133057_1024059123_31591892_1182426_n.jpg

Water crossings are not an issue at all! He catches on so quickly! smiley.png

197253_1728809853100_1024059123_31591903_6029052_n.jpg

196860_1728810173108_1024059123_31591905_2868895_n.jpg

Log jump! Lando THOUGHT this log was much bigger than it really is! OH. . . and I was so excited. . . He actually got his right lead on landing. . . and maintained it! He didnt switch it like he usually does!

197215_1728823053430_1024059123_31591963_707096_n.jpg

And one final pic. . . Tookie and Lando are FWENDS!

199181_1728808533067_1024059123_31591895_7682551_n.jpg

GreyWolf. . . I totally just saw your post! I wasnt ignoring you! I promise!

I totally would be frustrated with the people who didnt put the effort in! It would be very discouraging. I love the Renaissance costumes. I try to hit the Ren Faires in the summer. . . at least one weekend. It's too fun!

Ummm. . . my sewing 'skills' such as they are. . . (not really very good at all) My mom is a seamstress, among many other talents and skills. She did her best to pass on at least SOME of it. Though I'll admit. . . I'm not near as skilled as she is. . . I still call her and ask her to walk me through things. hehe

Kate, my step-daughter went to the Illinios Horse Fair and watched the Craig Cameron Extreme Cowboy Race. She is working on getting her 4 y.o. Paint mare ready to do some smaller shows this year and then wants to take her to an actual Craig Cameron show next year. She said the hardest part about watching it was knowing that she could have probably finished in the money if Rio was still with us.

A friend of mine owned the winning horse in the Extreme Cowboy Race at the Equine Affaire in Columbus, Ohio, this past fall. Her daughter's boyfriend rode the horse for the competition. Beautiful buckskin mare. He(the boyfriend) comes off a ranch in Louisiana, so he can claim to be a true cowboy.

Just swinging by to say hello to Jack!

Been a really rough week and Im GLAD it's the weekend. . . will swing back in again later and let ya know what went down.

My wife has been home for a week now, after enjoying her cruise and visit with her sister in Texas. I think I was about to go nuts in this new place. I'd watch the volume on the TV, so as not to bother her, as if she were still here. Stuff like that.

Been spending some time at the old place, working on saddles. You know, an expert leathercrafter who makes beautiful saddles once told me she wouldn't do what I do. "Why handle all that dirty leather when you can make a new saddle with new leather?" was her take on my restoring activities. Actually, she was right.

Yesterday, I was getting some skirts ready to glue on the new fleece and ran into a problem. The stitch holes in the plug leather didn't want to line up with those in the outer leather of the skirts. (plug leather is a layer of leather around the underside of the skirts to make them feel and look thicker) Then it dawned on me. I have some splits of leather from the backsides of hides that will make excellent plugs. That way I can glue the two layers of leather together, let them dry and use my Dremel tool and a 1/16th inch drill bit to ream the holes in the old leather and make new holes in the new leather. A lot better than using a stabbing awl.

Sounds like you solved that problem Jack! How many saddles you have in the works right now? :-) I bet you're so happy to have your wife home again!

Well. . . as I said. . . it was a rough week. Got better after Wednesday, but I'm glad it's over.

On Tuesday, a horse at one of my barn jobs went down with spinal/neuro issues. He was perfectly normal when I groomed him and tacked him up for his rider (owner is pregnant, so not riding). Twenty minutes later he was dragging his hind end. We barely got him into a stall and the tack off before he went down. It was awful. The owners wound up having him put down mid morning on Wednesday after trying to pull him through the night and see if he'd recover some with aggressive steroid, dmso and banamine doses. What a sad loss. One of the few warmbloods I've come across with a pleasant, respectful, non-pushy attitude. On top of that. . . it rained all week. . . so I was basically a shriveled prune every day.

Friday was the best though. Only worked a half day. Ran home to meet the vet for vaccinations and Coggins on Lando, then I picked up my cousin from the airport. He's hiking/camping with friends down this way this weekend. We went to dinner in Asheville and wandered around for a bit before I drove him out to meet his friends. So nice to see some family. It's been nearly a year since I've had actual family contact besides phone calls. I'll be going home for ten days to visit on the 18th of this month. . . Looking forward to that!

Sounds like you solved that problem Jack! How many saddles you have in the works right now? :-)

I've got a lot of saddles "in the works," but I'm concentrating on a TexTan and Big Horn right now, because they both need new fleece on the skirts, along with other other rehab work. I just wish I had a bigger place to work in, say a room about forty by sixty. Lots of room for the various tables for doing certain things, plus some saddle maker saddle stands. I guess I'm getting too old to be planning anythijng big, but by golly I can dream!

Colormeahorse got home from Texas last night with her "new" saddle and her curio cabinet. The saddle is in pretty good shape other than dirty and dry. We'll have to replace the latigo and off billet because they are both so dry that they are cracking. The rest of the saddle is just going to need a good cleaning and a lot of oil. This saddle was her favorite uncle's personal saddle. She was able to buy it from his estate with the understanding that she is to never sell it. It's a Shoellkopf Famous Jumbo Brand, which they quit making in the mid-70's. We're not sure on the age but I'm guessing late 60s or early 70s. The latigo carrier is stamped 608.

Makers mark:

0405110917a.jpg

Tooling on stirrups:

0405110918a.jpg

Latigo carrier:

0405110935a.jpg

Top view of seat:

0405110920a.jpg

Near side full view:

0405110925a.jpg

PO ~ Tell her not to ride in that saddle! I can tell, through my secret powers, that the saddle will cause her to get the Ruptuchamagullis. I have the only cure (it involves brown lambswool). Just send the saddle to me and I will forgive you for trying to give me the Ruptuchamagullis. I won't squeal on you for sending it.

Edited by Jack Baumgartner

I knew you would like it Jack. Any guess on the age? I'm saying late 60s or early 70s just based on the seat. It is a padded, stitched, smooth leather (not suede), and it is a caramel color that is lighter than the saddle unlike most modern saddles where the seat is darker unless it's colored (i.e. blue). It has vertical post blevins buckles so it's not super old. I've searched Schoellkopf pretty extensively online and just cant find much about them. What I have found is pretty vague. They made leather goods in Dallas from 1869 to sometime in the 1970s. They made the "White Elephant Brand" until at least 1902 and then switched to the "Famous Jumbo Brand". Most of the saddles I've found on-line for sale are in pretty bad shape and aren't really worth much so I don't really have any idea what this saddle is worth. I'm guessing that when it was new it was probably a very expensive saddle just because of all the tooling (even the horn cap is tooled).

I need to post pics of her old saddle that she is getting rid of and see if you have any idea on the maker (no maker's mark anywhere on the saddle). It's an old basket stamped, roping saddle that we bought from the same uncle several years before he died. We had to put a little money into it and have it re-fleeced, and have the seat replaced. The seat was so worn that the wuede was smooth and all the padding was gone. We had it replaced with a padded smoth leather seat the same color as the saddle. It's jsut a plain jane little roping saddle, with no conchos. The only flashy thing about it is the silver lacing at the gullet and cantle.

Edited by palomino_overo

P_O ~ The info you have about the Schoellcroft saddle outfit is about all I can conjure up in my reference. I'd say the Jumbo saddle looks a lot like my saddle by Bona Allen that spanned from the late fifties to the late sixties. Mine was called the Steer Roper and has a rawhide-covered tree. I'd bet yours does too.

Off to a dealers' tack auction this morning. It will go from 10:00 AM til early evening. There's a free lunch, to keep the bidders there and buying, rather than having them go uptown for lunch. There's also a drawing for door prizes at the end of the sale. that keeps a lot of the crowd there too. So far, I've won a new saddle and a fancy show saddle blanket with wear leathers and bling.

Jack, both her old saddle and the Schoellkopf have rawhide coverd trees. I'm guessing the schoellkopf is aeither a calf roping saddle or just a ranching saddle. The horn cap is freaking huge and as my boss said, it'd be like steering a ship when you dallied. It's a 4" where all of our other roping saddles are 3".

My wife gave me some bad news last night. Bad news for for her, but good news for me. Her family, even though she told them exactly how to measure a saddle, mis-measured it. They told her it was a 16" but when she sat in it last night it was really tight so she measured it and it's only a 15", which her other saddle that we're selling is. So, we are trading saddles. My cheaper roping saddle (fiberglass tree, not much tooling, no-name saddle but is comfortable and fits a horse good) is a 16" and I really don't need that much room in a saddle so she is going to use it and I'm going to use the Schoellkopf.

Found this way over there >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> on page 6. Thought it might be time to bump it up. Not much going on here except working on saddles a little. Gonna put somne artificial fleece(heavy-duty polyester from Weaver Leather) on some skirts. One saddle needed another layer of leather put on before the fleece, so I've been doing that.

I also have learned a trick from a saddle maker - to open up stitch holes with a Dremel tool, using a 1/16th" drill bit or 5/32nds". In addition to opening the holes on one set of skirts, I have to make new holes in the new layer of leather. Anyway, it makes it easier to put the needle and thread through. Trouble is, the Dremel tool gets hot and I have to let it rest and cool off. I can't hold it when it's hot. I don't actually know how many saddles I have to to eventually work on, as I have a bunch of saddles on racks, in some cases two deep, and then have saddles in pieces, stored in plastic tubs. Then I also have a tackroom full of saddles out in the barn. I just hope I can get them all finished before I kick the bucket.

Edited by Jack Baumgartner

With all the violent storms that have wreaked havoc across the southeast, I wonder how our Kate is doing. Anybody heard anything? Kate, check in and let us know you and Lando are okay. :huggy:

All is well with me Jack! Most of those bad storms passed well north of where I live, by several hours. I so appreciate the concern and am sorry I didn't see this sooner so i could let y'all know I'm fine!

Been a busy busy month. I've actually been home in Illinois for the past week and a half. I fly back to North Carolina. . . well. . . today I guess. LOL. Flight takes off at 6pm. It's been a busy visit home. Lots of friends and family to catch up with and now I feel like I need a vacation to recover from my vacation! LOL

But of course it's right back to work on Thursday morning! OY VEY. That wont be fun!

I'll get back with some pics of my trip as soon as I'm able, but today/tomorrow will be mighty busy and difficult. . . so it may be a few days before I check back in.

Hope y'all are doing just fine and dandy!

Have a good one!

Greetings Jack!

I come to you bearing gifts! Gifts in the form of pictures!

Had a really good time visiting my family and friends in Illinois!

My brother was a gem and arranged the trip for me. He bought my ticket in exchange for me watching his two girls while him and his wife went to Mexico for their 15 year wedding anniversary.

Not really much to TELL, so I'll just give ya a few photos. (not in chronological order)

My new niece, Olivia

224736_1811110390562_1024059123_31691542_7296633_n.jpg

217312_1811111150581_1024059123_31691545_2536262_n.jpg

224150_1811112550616_1024059123_31691549_2507053_n.jpg

Me and the two nieces I was watching during my trip hone.

222636_1811112790622_1024059123_31691550_1429640_n.jpg

Me and more of my kidlets

207608_1794424653429_1024059123_31666234_6403011_n.jpg

Just a little toasted at the bar where my cousin manages and bartends. (he's that handsome redhead Im huggin on in the pic)

222125_1801597392743_1024059123_31677755_6829907_n.jpg

I got a double dose of baby when I went home. My second brothers wife had their third baby almost 2 months ago. This is me with their two girls and little Tommy jr.

223013_1801599032784_1024059123_31677766_2140695_n.jpg

Girls night out! Bowling and drinkin beer! The young man that worked behind the counter slipped me his phone number as we were leaving. First time that's ever happened to me! LOL224228_1801599552797_1024059123_31677768_1382359_n.jpg

Sportin my friends 'nerd' glasses... now where is that pocket protector???

221760_1801600752827_1024059123_31677773_8134327_n.jpg

Hope you enjoy the pics Jack! I may have more later. . . still waiting on some friends and family to email me the pics they got on their phones and cameras.

Edited by PaintHorseKate81

Kate ~ Thanks for the pics! Who are the couple in the third picture? That Olivia has expressive eyes. She's a doll. Glad to hear you had a great time back in Illinois. Your brother deserves some karma points!

Kate ~ Thanks for the pics! Who are the couple in the third picture? That Olivia has expressive eyes. She's a doll. Glad to hear you had a great time back in Illinois. Your brother deserves some karma points!

Sorry jack! I thought I captioned that picture! That's my mom and pop in the third picture. Sittin here this morning with my coffee and really missing weekend coffee and gossip with my mom. :-( Think I'll go call her.

Isn't Olivia just the cutest? My brothers and sisters have pretty much always had really pretty babies. . . But I think little Livvy takes the cake for being the prettiest and sweetest. She smiles and giggles all the time. Such a happy little thing!

Hope you have a swell weekend Jack!

Poking my head in to let y'all know I'm alive and missing my friends! Things have just been incredibly hectic and busy since I came back from my visit home!

Hope all is well!

I'll try to get back here and give a little update tonight or tomorrow!

Dear Jack is right here, dear girl. It's past noon and I'm still at the new place. I should have been to the old place and had the barn cats fed by now. Been working on some more saddles. I finished another Big Horn this week and am just about finished on a TexTan. Still have a slew of saddles to work on, so I'll just keep on keepin' on.