Sign in to follow this  
Becaco

Cowhorse Coffee Cafe #23

Sher Hey lady, how've you been, still chasing those cans? Wish we could send you Texans some of this rain we've been getting lately. The only good thing about it is we're getting a great first cut on the hay this year.

Penny I know how it is shopping for clothes. With Cat I always get the: " [Roll Eyes] look" LOL. As for pricing your boy I don't know, well-broke, well-trained, kid safe horses are worth their weight in gold...

We finally got our deck set up today. Bily came over & did it, this guy is like the Hulk, I kid you not. He got under the deck (8X12) and LIFTED it with his back and moved it where we needed it set! [Eek!] He brought his wife & kids and his mom along so afterwards we had a cookout. George was going to get Dallas out & let everyone ride but a storm blew in so we moved the party indoors. [big Grin] It was nice having company, hopefully next time they come it won't rain!

Hello Buddies

We got more rain last night. Some big T-storms with a lot of rain came rolling in. It is beautiful this morning. [Yay]

I rode the appy again Saturday he is fun but a lot of work. He is a little spooky and doesn't like his head messed with so I am taking it slow to get to know him. He seems to like me and is kind. He is 16.1 hands so a lot bigger then my 14.3 pony. He was testing me and I am sure that will happen until I have his number down. I think he will work for me but I want to take a lesson and maybe jump him before making my decesion. I have two places I can send Spook if I want to keep him. One is a my girlfriends I pay feed only and could still ride him. The other is my husbands co-worker they need a friend for their pony. They would take very good care of him and their very young grandchildren would ride him once in a while. I think I will try and fine him a home where their is a young-teen that could ride him. I would make them a good deal as longs as they met my approval. Spook needs to be ridden to stay healthy not hard but active. Things always seem to work out the way they should. The appy isn't mine yet we are working on price and he had a few things going on with him I need to clearify in his x-rays. The appy sure is fun to ride with his big stride and smooth gates. I have to keep my legs on him the hole time and I get tried but I think he is testing me to see what I will let him get away with.

Pennylane [big Grin]

[ 06-18-2006, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: Pennylane ]

-

Well, I’ll be darn!! Hi there Sheridan. [smile] Believe it or not, I was thinking about you, just a couple of days ago. Whatcha’ been up to?

Shann, yea!! for day hours.

Penny, we got a little more rain last night, that makes 1 inch in two days. Gosh, don’t know what to tell you about a price for Spook.

HTTY

Howdy all! [smiley Wavey]

Penny Sounds like you are enjoying the challenge of the Appy LOL. Hope he vets out okay for you. Still no ideas on pricing Spook or which option would be a better solution for you. Prices here are all over the place for horses so no good comparison.

Bec How's your herd doing?

Skipped out of work a little early tonight & went over and looked at the field that will be our hay. Real nice mix of alfalfa and orchard grass w/a little timothy thrown in. Larry's guestimating we'll get around 30 rounds (1200 lb) out of it for the first cut. We're probably going to do like last year, store them at Larry's place & when we need one he'll load it up for us. So yay, one less thing to worry about this winter!

Hello Buddies

It was a nice hot day Sunday. The kids got hubby a IPOD. He was very happy they pick it out and purchased all on there own. Our daughter help him

down load some music and he tried on his motor cycle helm to see if it would work. We rode in the afternoon but after the storms it was pretty hot and humit out. The dumb neighbor to the barn started shooting off a gun right after I put Spook away and I ran to the indoor thank God the lady riding was only lunging. Her horse and every other horse on the property was freaking out. They kept shooting this loud gun off. What jerks. I told my hubby I was going to get a bull horn and wait unit they were taking a lesson on there horses then set it off over and over. They just moved from the city 6month ago and have no clue. They can't ride and it is fun to see them try. They let there kid ride this go-cart and mini cycle all over the place freaking our horses out. Spook and Scout are ok but some people have a hard time with their spooky horses. When the gun went off the second time some of the horses were running towards the fences jumping around. That is a good way to get them hurt. Done venting.

Shann- I wish we had a hay field good job. I not really worried about how much I get for Spook just want him in a good home. I really don't want to sell him. He was such a pleasure to ride Sunday. I like the appy and he will be fun but I can relax on Spook.

Becaca-We got some good rain fall this weekend. It is back to hot but any amount helps. How are the babies?

Horsin- I hope everything is ok.

Everyone else- [smiley Wavey]

Pennylane [smiley Wavey][smiley Wavey]

[ 06-19-2006, 07:59 AM: Message edited by: Pennylane ]

-

Toothpick and Jewel are doing just fine. They are fun to watch. Toothpick was aggravating his mama this

morning and he got a nip on the butt. [big Grin] He has started wanting to nip us. [Mad] Got to watch that little turd. [smile] Hadn’t messed with Jewel much, but hopefully after she is weaned she will come around. Cameo did.

After the rain Sat. night, yesterday was humid. I didn’t do anything outside.

OK, I am going to ask again, where is Horsin?? Has she gone on her trip already, to where her Hubby is?

HTTY

Bec Last time I talked to Horsin she just had too much going on between keeping her place up, helping her Mom and saddle club duties. I REALLY wish we lived closer to her so we could help out. I worry that she's pushing herself much too hard.

Doc went through that nippy stage, it was so aggravating! I didn't want to smack him and risk making him head shy so I'd grab his lip and pinch...it seems like it worked LOL.

Penny Given the way you feel about Spook, that he's your *safe* horse, I would just keep him at your friend's place rather than sell him outright. I had to sell the one horse I felt safe with and have regretted it ever since. Unlike you I am a very nervous rider & letting her go was the biggest mistake I ever made, I just can't find one I can trust myself with now. Well not quite true, I have found one I have that "connection" with but she's waaay out of my league money-wise.

Hello to everyone else! I need to get off here for a bit, yet another round of storms coming in, yeehaw. [Roll Eyes]

I was talking to my girl friend and I think I am going to send Spook to girl Scout camp. you get a tax write off and they never sell the horse. They do walk trot trail rides and grooming only with the horses. Spook would think he died and went to heaven to have little girls loving on hi all the time. I would feel I did the right thing for him by placing him in this kind of home and he would be close enough to visit. My girl friend knows the people that run the horses so I feel comforable that he will be taken care of properly. Once the horses can't be ridden any more they use them for halter and grooming lessons. Spook is so calm and gental all the little girls will fall in love with him. I think this is the way I am going to go. I will be taking a lesson on the appy tomorrow morning. If I get him I am going to name him BO. Everyone just calls him the spotted horse no name. I will post pictures if it works out. I am very excited. [Wink]

Pennylane [Razz][Wink][big Grin]

-

Thanks, Shann. If you talk to Horsin /b] tell her we miss her. Also, tell her to be careful out there in that heat.

Penny, we gave Candy away to the couple that bought Spice. Hubby said unless we found her the perfect place, she was staying right here. *T* fell in love with Candy the first time she saw her. She even gets ridden now. Because of a bad leg we couldn’t ride her, but she is perfect for the 4 yo. They say they Candy gets real excited when she knows she is going to be ridden. And she is real careful when the little girl rides. I bet Spook will just love it there.

HTTY

My lesson got cancelled but I rode the appy this morning and I had a good ride. I took control right away and made him do what I wanted and he responded very good. I didn't worry about head carriage just made him go forward. I am hoping to get him on a feed lease until I know for sure he is the horse for me.

Pennylane [big Grin]

Hello ladies!

Penny- We have a perlino here who's name is Pretty Boy. He's a payhorse. I would have named him Ghost! I like the name Spook.

Good luck with the App.

SHERIDAN! Goodness girl, how's life?

Howdy Shann, and everyone else.

I thought I'd tell you that our house is now framed and waiting for the metal roof and siding. The walls are up in the inside, but we still have a long way to go. Church people from as far away as N.M. have been helping rebuild homes in the area. What a blessing!

Horses are all fat and lazy. It's time to start working with Ely. He won't be too excited about that, I'm sure.

Bec- still haven't found a good hay connection. I know when I do, I'm buying 20 round bales. Ranchers around here are not selling anything- scary really.

Well, ya'll take care and I hope to be able to get on here more often...I miss ya'll.

Hello Everyone

Ibrumnin- We thought about calling Spook Ghost rider but Spook just seemed to fit him. The funny thing is he is not spooky at all. I always tell people he is a spook ghost with the blue eyes. How exciting about your house and yes there are good people in the world. [big Grin]

I am tried I rode Spook last night and what a pleasure he is to ride. He got his feet done Monday so he was ready to go. It was funny because I was talking to the western pleasure trainer that comes out to our barn and I said the difference between Spook and the appy is Spook goes on my leg and she said I bet he wasn't always that way any horse with your riding program will go nicely after a little work. I thought that was really nice thing to say. I always think of my self as some one that just goofies around with my horses. I did notice the appy went better for me yesterday I was more aggresive and put him in his place right off. I still haven't found out if the owners will come down on price but will feed lease him until something is settled. If they sell him to someone else I will just fine another horse. I think it is time to send Spook to camp. I still haven't totaly decided.I know I can't continue these big vet bills. Sometimes if you just let things ride it all works out for the best. If I keep Spook I am taking him off the legend and see what happends.

Pennylane [Roll Eyes]

-

quote:

Bec- still haven't found a good hay connection. I know when I do, I'm buying 20 round bales. Ranchers around here are not selling anything- scary really.

Well, let me know if you do. We just bought a round bale from a feed store not too far from us. His prices are a tad better than in town.

I heard of one person that sells hay, last year she did round bales, this year she is doing square bales. She is going to NOT sell any, but going to store them and sell in the winter at (probably) a much inflated price.

Oh boy!!! on the house, Ibrunnin. [big Grin] I'll be sure and tell Hubby. Can't wait to see it. Ummmm wonder when/if I can talk Hubby into going for another visit. [big Grin] I am afraid that he will tell me he has too much to do around here..... and he really does...... but still, I'll try.

Hay!!! just thought about something ..... by some chance is President Clinton working on your house? Now wouldn't that something.

Before I sign off, Ibrunnin, how about some pictures of your house in progress.

HTTY

Dang, I wish I had access to a flatbed and a semi for a week- we could run round bales down there to y'all!

Just a quick "hello", am in desperate need of a nap so will be back later- [smiley Wavey]

Another day, another afternoon of thunderstorms. [Roll Eyes] I got my nap in, now trying to work up the energy to do some cleaning before George rolls in tonight. If it doesn't rain tomorrow we're going to finish putting the parts of the deck on, just have to nail on the stairs & touch up the railing where it's loose in a couple places. And I guess mow the yard, YUCK! Better to get it out of the way though then we can spend Saturday doing whatever. All right, off to vaccuum and dust woohooo [Razz] , see y'all later!

Mornin- it's raining!

Shann- don't talk like that about hay! My payhorse owner has a trucking company, 27 horses and is yet to find hay! I'll send her to you and stow away.LOL

Bec- I posted on the "Need Hay" thread. I found 16 round bales and snatched them up. Might set us back on flooring, siding, etc. on the house, but what else could I do? Jed's telling me not to panic- his friend knows a guy who has lots of hay....well, if you added together what I need to find for the neighbor, ourselves, our payhorse owner- I would need atleast 60 round bales. [Eek!] That's not including Jed's friend who has 7 horses of his own. So I bought those 16 round bales sight unseen over the phone. It took us 20 minutes to get there- had to stop by the bank- and in that time, she had gotten 3 calls for hay!! One guy asked if she had my money yet, cuz he'd come straight over and buy it right now! GRRRR, the nerve of some people. She's letting me keep it there too, and I can just get it one bale at a time.

Don't you find it ridiculous that Abilene is almost 3 inches above normal rainfall for the year, and yet we're struggling for hay? It just didn't fall at the right time and in the right places....

Penny- what exactly is wrong with Spook? Old injury, arthritis? We had a racehorse on Legend who the owner's retired. They took him off the Legend and he did fine for light riding. In fact, they used him pretty hard a couple of times and he pulled up fine. I imagine it would affect them if they were used hard everyday, but once in awhile, with this horse, he was fine. His problem was in his knees.

I'm a little worried about the house with this rain. God blessed us with rain, and heaven knows I'm not complaining- we need it. It's just they have the insulation board up on the sides of the house, and tar paper on the roof. They're both getting wet. We couldn't get the metal for the roof until this afternoon, and I didn't get the siding. I'm going to have to go with cheap siding until we can get what I want. They all said that'll be ok, cuz whatever stuff I get can be nailed to or screwed in or whatever. I want the bottom of the house to be rock half way up, and then log siding. I think that would be pretty. I think I have enough money for it, I just can't find where I can buy the log siding! If I was in Michigan I could get it...LOL

Ya'll take care of you and yours.

Ibrunnin If second cut goes as good as first cut y'all may want to look at making a KY run! If so there is a big dealer up the road from us who ships his hay all over (I know he ships to several polo clubs in the south), I could get you their number.

Speaking of Texas, George got offered a Linens'n'Things route in Texas- alternating Houston, Dallas & Waco. Don't suppose anyone lives near there???

-

Ibrunnin, If you stowaway to KY, I want to go too. Get some hay and meet Shann too.

I heard of one gal here that usually does round bales, but this year she is going to square bale and store

them for the winter, so that she can ask more $$ for them. Greedy bunch of people.

Can’t wait to get to come for a visit and see your house. It rained here last night, 1 inch worth. Still looks

like it wants to rain some more, but so far it hasn’t.

Shann, Houston is waaayyyy down there, an all day drive from here. We are west of FW off I-20 about a 2 hour drive and of course, Dallas is the other side of FW. Waco, is probably little over a 2 hour drive..... can't remember exactly.

HTTY

OMG my poor Bonnie dog! We went to the grocery & came home, normally Bonnie starts barking & carrying on. Today she was just laying sprawled in her water bowl. Went running back there and her back has these huge deep scratches down it and she's shaking. Had to get her to Doc's office, he thinks a hawk tried to grab her!!!! He said the only thing that kept it from happening is that she was tethered to a concrete block with one of those cables. He cleaned her up real good, she's on antibiotics & got some shots. I was useless, she's Jeremy's dog and all I could think of was how are we going to tell him about this if she died. Doc says she'll be fine although there will most likely be some scarring. I never even considered such a thing possible when we let her and WD out all those times. [Me Cry] From now on it's supervised leah-only outside trips!

Howdy Buddies

Ibrum- Spook has arthritis and is stiff until warmed up. His hocks are bad from being ridden into the ground during his team penning days. The legend helps with the arthristis but with light riding he is dine without the legend. He is such a good boy and so trained it is a shame that he was treated this way in his youth. He has old scars on his leg from being cought in a fence. The scar goes to the bone and doesn't grow hair. I have found all kinds of old scars all over his body and his ear has one where it was almost cut off but the hair covers it. I will fined out next week if they are taking him at Girl Scout camp. He would love it. The use the horses all year around for 4-h, Scouts and handy-capped kids/people. They place the horse in one of there programs and keep them until they die. He will live in a field with other horses but I never have to worry about him being sold.

Shann- I live in the Dallas Metro Plex. North Fort Worth. My husbands Sister lives in Elizabeth Town KY.

Yes we got some rain Friday much needed. I wasn't able to work out a deal on the Appy. To bad because I liked him. The owners wouldn't come down on price and he had some issues on his x-rays. I know he is a papered Appy with that has show points but the bottom line was he has one hock that us fused and the other one only half way fused, he has a chip in his front ankle area. I told them I noticed his back seemed sore after riding and his right back leg (the hock not fused yet). I really don't want a problem horse so it is not going to happen. I feel bad for the horse because he will he sold to some kid most likely that will not understand that he shouldn't be jumped into the ground. Once the right hock fuses he sould be good to go and the chip may never do anything (big unknown). I am still going to send Spook off to girl scout camp if they have a openning next week. If they take him I will never have to worry about what to do with him once he cant be ridden. This way he should go on for years. I am looking at some other horses this weekend. I love riding new horses. I just hate and drive my self crazy worring about what you don't know about a horse.I will have to pray that here are people like me that tell the truth and just want to sell there horse into a good home.

Peenylane [smiley Wavey]

Thanks for the prayers Bec. Miss Bonnie's home with us now, very stiff and sore- poor girl just wants to either curl up in your lap or stay in her kennel cage. Usually she's my "bouncey dog", full of energy and wanting to play.

Pennylane Elizabethtown is only about 20 minutes from us! That's where our vet is, TSC and the big grocery store that we shop at.

We borrowed the movie "Eight Below" last night- AWESOME movie but by the end George and I were both bawling our eyes. So if you watch keep a box of tissues handy!

Hello Buddies

Shann-Is sure is a small world. I hope your son's puppy is doing better today.

I went to try a horse Saturday and he was at this nice small little barn vey clean. The own of the barn was showing me the horse, the horse owner was working. He got him out of the stall and said there are the brush help your self. The horse stood so nice and let us groom him. Then he came back and we found English tack that fit and he let me tack him up again no problems. He put a Kimberwick bit on him and I am not sure why but the horse didn't seem to like it. He rode him first and the horse was fighting the bit a little nothing bad just not happy with the bit. Beautiful forward mover did everything backup side passed no real problems. Then I got on him and walk him around nice then trotted him very nice forward trot. I seemed to have problems turning him so I stop and ask, He loosend the curb chaine and told me to use a lot of leg and tighten my outside rein. I knew from E-mails he hadn't been use in awhile and was not blanced at the canter. So away we went and OH MY GOD what a blast. I got him to collect hard work but so worth it. I canter and he collected up for me and it was wonderful. The barn owner and my husband said he looked so good. I was so proud of my self. I hosed him off and we tried the clippers was a little scared but wasn't bad. The barn owner said he had been in his stall for 3-days and without being turned out and never been in a curb chaine before. I was surprised he really was a good boy. I asked the barn owner If I could come back and take a lesson on him next week and he said yes he would give me a lesson. Very nice man even said I could leave the horse at his place and he would help me work with him. I called the horse owner when I got home and told her I really liked the horse but wanted to take a lesson on him. She said no problem that I could come out and ride him anytime I wanted to his board was paid until middle of next month. She said she want him to go to a good home and didn't mind me make sure it was a good fit. I will find out next week if Spook goes to girl scout camp and I can ride this boy and really see what he can do. I am very excided about taking a lesson next week. I will bring my tack and see how he does. The barn owner is only 20 minutes from our house so he may come out and give hubby some lessons on Scout. Very easy going type claims he is not a horse trader runs his place and shows his horses. I gues he has won many championships. He said he likes to help people out does a little training. I had to ask him about helping us school our horses he never offered. [Yay][Yay]

Pennylane [smiley Wavey]

Good morning.

I just skimmed throuhg, i have beena bsent. due t o this omputer and gettignt higns ready for rose's open house.

Allwent good yesterday. had a good time..

we almost didn't have it. due to my kitchen sink clogged and our waterline got a we did leak and busted. my hsuband injured his hand...but we did amnage toget things doen , the bathroom back in order.and the hosue cleaned/back in order.today is jsut rest...

Shann- Sorrya bout bonnie. glad she will recover...

Hi Ibrunnin..we got ahy , but need wil lneed more in te future.We gto big 1500 lbs of good grass hay gieven to us.. but we are going to payt eh guy soemhow..

this shholule alst us for long time..

Hi to everybody else.

take care.

Hello Buddies

Kind of slow around the coffe pot lately. Our weather has drop back down to 70's overnight and up into the 90 during the day. We are getting a little break.

I still haven't heard from the girl about girl scout camp for Spook so I am still hoping that works out. I will be taking a lesson this Saturday on the new horse very excited. I can keep the new horse where he is until the middle of July no problems so I just have to decide what to do with Spook. I can still send him to my girl friends property or let the people that work with hubby take him to keep their pony company. I like the idea of Gril Scout camp because he could be used for years without wearing him out. He loves people and is such a good boy. Pray everything works out. [Angel]

I am going to ride this morning then off to work. [big Grin]

Pennylane [smiley Wavey]

[ 06-27-2006, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: Pennylane ]

-

Beautiful day yesterday, just about perfect. Wish we could have more like that. Nice and cool this morning.

Penny, hope everything works out for the best with you and your horses.

I am on coyote watch, got my shotgun nice and handy. Yesterday about 10am the chickens started

squawking, went out there and didn’t see anything. They were still in the pen,so I turned them out. A little later they started again, looked still didn’t see anything. Then sometime later they start up again. This time I took the 22, thought maybe it was a stray cat. They don’t do that with my cats. I wasn’t going to shot the cat (I just can’t do that), but thought a pop real close would keep it away. Well I was out there looking, and see this hen come running. I think she found herself alone and was heading back to join everyone. Imagin my surprise when out of the woods comes this coyote. [Eek!] He was just as surprised to see me, he turns and heads back in the bush before I could get a shot off.

I don’t think I am missing any hens.

HTTY

Shann, I saw the pics of WD and the kitten! How adorable!!!

Shann, congrats on your permanent days off!

Penny, I missed lots, including why you are considering getting rid of Spook. I am sorry that you are having to do that!

Sheridan, we are getting way too much rain up here in Ohio..above the average rain fall and boy am I sick of it! LOL

Bec...I think I missed something...I know about Toothpick but I don't think I know about Jewel. Can you show a pic here please??

IBR, how wonderful about your house! I bet it is so exciting to see it go up! How nice and thoughtful for so many people to be helping rebuild.

Shann!!! Oh my gosh...poor Bonnie! I am so glad she was on the cable! Poor thing was probably so scared!!!

Penny, sorry about the appy

Bec...be careful with the cuyote!

Myrtle Beach was fantastic! Lots of hot and sunny weather!

Looks like we want to get a load of hay off the field...gonna buy a shed to put it in now.

I am having a garage sale in a couple of weeks...hope to get rid of a lot of stuff!

Other than that..not a bunch going on.

Hope you are all well and that you have a nice day!

Bonnie's having some complications so I may not be on for a couple of days, didn't want anyone to worry. Will let you all know if anything changes.

Hello

Becaco- Glad you caught coyote before he got your chickens. Around here it is sad because to many people have moved into there land and they have nothing to eat but peoples small dogs and cats. The weather is perfect. Very weird this year.

Mea- I just think it is time to place Spook into a home for lighter work. He is not ready to be a pasture ordiment but needs to be ridden lighter then I want to ride. I am hoping the girl scout camp thing works out. It would be perfect for him. I only have this one contact and it is a waiting game that I have no control over. If they take Spook I will be so happy but if not I will fine him a good home or place him out at my girl friends place. I did fine another horse that I like and I will be taking a lesson this weekend on him. He seemed perfect but I want to ride him a few times to make sure.

Hubby and I rode the boys yestorday morning it was nice. It was slow at work again and I was told not to come in. I rented some video's and watch movies all day. I guess I had a lazy day. I could get out the floor mate and clean the down stairs floors but I am to lazy. House work no way anything but house work.LOL [Razz]

Pennylane [smiley Wavey]

[ 06-28-2006, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: Pennylane ]