Sign in to follow this  
ixnayfoo

Life In The Fat Lane

I watched a show on the Discovery Health channel the other day called The 1/2 Ton Man. A story about a man who weighed over 1000 lbs. They had to tear down a wall in his house to get him out of it, he couldn't walk or even sit, he was stuck lying on his stomach, if he were to lay on his back the weight of himself would crush his organs. He ended up getting his stomach stapled and lost over 500 lbs.

I'm 5'5 and weigh 175 pounds. I'm 22. I was fat growing up, weighing 110 in the third grade. By the time I was 16 I weighed 210. I got the flu and lost about 5 lbs from not eating. So I figured why not start Weight Watchers and keep going. So over the next 8 months I lost 71 lbs. Getting down to 139 my senior year of high school. I did independent study at school and only went to two classes, both were P.E. I also exercised constantly at home, mountain biking, and using an eliptical trainer. I ate just enough, food meant nothing to me. I was happy, wore a bathing suit with nothing over it, wore size 5 jeans. It was fun.

Some how I lost it. I lost my exercise "gene". I gained back most of it over the next couple years. I'm now, like I said, 175 lbs. I eat constantly, I hate it, I can't stop. Food is all I think about.

I went to work with my grandma's new horse Lotto, a 13.3 hand little Morgan cross. My boyfriend took pictures for my grandma, who's out of town. I look like I'm killing that poor little horse. I feel like it messes with my EQ, my feet are too far forward, my stirrups are too long, but if my thighs weren't in the way they would be perfect. I lean back because my stomach hits the horn. I hate what I see.

But I can't mentally get into that "zone" you need to be in in order to be healthy. I have an addiction to food (and Diet Pop), I can't stop.

I can't afford to go to Weight Watchers, I can't afford Jenny Craig or Curves. I could do it myself, but I can't. That's what I tell myself.

I need someone to help. My boyfriend is in perfect health, six-pack and all, it's just us two. I don't have any friends in our new town. I have no one to help me. I wish I could help myself. I need that motivation, some sort of goal to get myself to the "want to" point.

You would think being able to take a photo without going "ew" would be motivation enough. But it's not. I have to saddle break my two year old at the end of the year. I feel at the weight I am now, it wont happen, I'm too much for her, I might just have to send her out for a few months to have someone else do it, since I may break her back.

Pity me. Pity me. I feel like that's what I'm asking for. Obesity is a disease they tell us. It's this debilitating disease that has taken over 1/3 (I believe) of the countries citizins. Why can't we fix it, just stop eating right? It should be that easy. It's not. It's the hardest thing in the world to do. Harder than getting an A in physics. I don't believe it's a disease, I believe it's an accident. People don't mean to get fat, they can prevent it (some can't with thyroid and other problems), but it's hard.

I should be about 135, a healthy weight for my heighth. Yeah right. Will I ever way that? Maybe not. But I want to try. I want to get in that mindset. I want to ride Cloe the first time, not someone else. I want to get in the saddle without a boost. I want to ride in 90* heat without feeling faint. I want. I want. I want. Yet I'm sitting here writing this.

I think I'll go for a walk.

Ok, here's what I think for what it's worth. You are obviously stressing about your new house and when it will close!! I know when I stress out about certain things, I get all over myself about how I look, if I'm fat. You may have a weight issue, but right now I am convinced you are trying to send your stresses elsewhere. Try to relax and not think about your house or your weight. Don't do this to yourself!! [surrender]

I feel like I should just sleep until it happens... That way no one gets hurt!

Well they're saying Monday. That everything should be done then. So now I'm trying to calm down. I went for about a 20 minute walk, and feel better, I think I'll do that every evening, it's relaxing. I think I'm like a stress machine lol, I need to just relax and take things in stride. Ok. Relaxed for the evening, gonna have some water, cruise around on the net, and watch some Roseanne. Ahhh.

Good girl!!! I am also a stress monster, and it's exhausting!!

only you can decide when enough is enough.

i was almost the same weight as you at one point (we're the same height)

i was only 197 , but my body frame isnt very broad.

i lost weight a number of ways

but recently i wanted to loose even , i finally woke up and just did it. i started exerciseing everyday and eating everything in PROPER amounts , i even eat what i want , just in correct amounts.

you can change anytime you want to...

I kind of know what you mean.

I'm 16 years old, I'm 5'2" and about 145-150 depending. I should be about 110-120. I don't eat a lot, and usually all I drink is water, I love running! And I ride horses a lot...what am I doing wrong?

As you mentioned above, I do have thyroid problems, mines underactive which causes my metablolism to be super slow, but I'm on meds for it...and its supposed to be controlled.

I was anorexic when I was about 14, I weighed 115 at my lowest...and still thought I looked huge. I feel guilty when I ride my horses even, I feel like I'm taking advantage of them, and I'm too heavy for them. I have a major self-esteem issue, and am extremely self concious. Walking into a class room, or in front or people in a resturaunt...gets me so nervous I feel like I'm gonna pass out right there.

I didn't mean to turn this in to a life story... [Crazy] But just know your not alone. Take your time, and stay positive. Don't stress yourself out over and over... Long, brisk walks are supposed to be the best thing for weight loss! You'll get where you wanna be someday...

Good luck. [Huggy]

Just remember, weight isn't the best factor in determining health. Every body is different.

Skinny people can be out of shape too. I would rather be overweight and strong than skinny and can't lift anything, oh wait - I am. LOL

I want to loose weight so when I move back to the mainland and try to work with horses, they won't laugh and turn me away.

Best thing to get is a workout buddy, they keep you acountable and they don't cost!

Look how that walk made you feel?! Rather than worrying about getting back in the "zone" as you called it. For now, begin taking that walk every night. That alone will help you physically AND more importantly mentally at this time.

Once the walks begin making you feel more motivated than begin making small changes in your diet. Replacing saturated fats with healthy fats and consuming more protein, fruits and veggies.

Stop drinking the diet pop!! All sorts of people have mentioned that drinking diet pop makes you hungry. Replace the diet pop with water. If you don't like water try iced tea without sugar or crystal light is great.

You CAN do it.

I just dropped 25 lbs since February. Lots and lots of hiking. Of course now I am a bit weight obsessive. I'm 6 ft and 134 this morning.

You can do it and you'll be so darn proud of yourself once you start moving.

Good Luck! Isn't Horsecity great!!

Hi,

I think you have solved your own problem with taking your walks. I believe that in time you will start to see the weight come off, and you will feel better about yourself. I have a thyroid problem too and It is very hard for me to lose weight. I just got back from the dr. and I have lost 13lbs. I am so excited, I don't drink any kind of soft drinks. I drink lots of water and I will have my sweet tea with my meals. Hey you can't give up everything [Jump] Wishing you the best, I know you can do it! Don't be so hard on yourself, life is to short.

I'm in the same boat. I was always little, had 5 kids and still wore a size 5 to 7. Then a a few years ago I started gaining weight. I'm now heavier than I ever was. I'm the same height as you and the same weight. I'm 40 years old though. I done weight watchers and lost weight. I gained some of it back. What is so hard for me is that My husband and kids want a big meal with all the fixins all the time and they want baked sweets in the house. I love to cook for them but I have a hard time staying away from the food after it's fixed. Funny how all 4 of them can eat anythign they want and they don't get fat. I used to be that way.

I've got all my weight watchers books and I am starting the point system TODAY!!!!! I keep starting it and then messing up because of cookouts or birthday parties or whatever. I decided this weekend that when Monday came it was time to start. So this is it.

I've got to get this weight off, I'm misserable. I also work with a lot of young horses and I don't want to break their backs - I knowI won't literally break their back but I feel so stupid being my size on a young smaller horse.

I'm wearing a size 16 and my ultimate goal would be to get toa size 7-8 but my goal for now is a size 12. I figure one step at a time. Another thing I tend to do...if I mess up one little time on the weight watchers plan then I just give up and totally blow it. I'm not doing that this time. If I mess up, then I'm just gonna get right back on track.

I've got to do this.

[ 06-19-2006, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: trailhoss2 ]

I'm right there with you trailhoss. I'm starting TODAY! I joined Weight Watchers online. I joined a gym. I'll be 50 in October and I'm heavier now than I've ever been. And I HATE the way I look. We went on a cruise over spring break and I was horrified at the way I looked in pictures. I'm in an 18 and right now my goal is a 12 by the end of the summer. Believe it or not I actually have clothes in my closet that would fit! I'm going to the grocery store later this afternoon and I'm going to stock up on a lot of healthy stuff. Hubby could stand to lose some weight as well and my daughter (14) eats healthy anyway. Sky is 5'4", 105 lbs and was complaining because she can't fit in a size 0 anymore. I wish I had that problem!

The dog is fat too...so nightly walks are in order for both of us.

Hopefully by the end of the summer I'll feel good enough that I'll actually be able to get on Cam without worrying about hurting her back.

We can ALL do this if we just put out minds to it!

I'm definately in no place to preach, but here are a few things that might help you that have worked for me. I can't get into the mindset of exercise/healthy eating, I want to loose weight, but lack the willpower to enforce it!

* Exercise in a way that is fun and fits into your daily life. It doesn't have to be work-til-you-drop stuff and if its too much like hard work you'll struggle to keep at it. A 30-40 minute walk, fast enough to raise your heartbeat but without getting out of breath is good daily or every-other-day exercise. My housemate and I sometimes purposefully go out for a walk, other times we walk to uni or the shops instead of getting the bus. Takes a bit longer, but gets the exercise over and done with in a sociable way (the 40 minutes fly by when you are chatting)

* I suppose that's my second suggestion, as said by someone else - get a friend involved. See if a friend or colleague is willing to walk with you. If you have kids old enough to walk with you, make it daily/every-other-day 'me and you' time by walking together. Your kid will appreciate the one-on-one time that won't be interrupted, and you'll find the exercise easier.

* Depending on your living situation, banish unhealthy foods from the house. I am always much more successful here in my uni house, where we limit what we buy, than at my parents where chocolate and crisps are freely available. Don't bully yourself though, buy your favourite fruit, even if its a bit costly, and substitute really unhealthy with less unhealthy foods. For example a housemate and I have been appalling chocolate munchers, but we now buy chocolate digestives instead of neat chocolate. One biscuit has a 1/3 of the calories of our old chocolate intake, but still gives you that little chocolate fix (which, I assure you all, is a medical requirement for women!)

* Make it realistic and keep at it. Don't aim to diet and exercise to loose weight - aim to change your lifestyle forever. Aim to eat more healthily, exercise more regularly for the rest of your life, so make it achievable in your day-to-day life. Apparently if you stick with something for 6 months your mind and body adjusts and accepts it as normal, for example my diabetic uncle now thinks plain porridge tastes sweet, having removed chocolate and sugars from his diet for the past 2 years, his taste buds have adjusted according to his new way of life.

Karen xx

You also need to definitely talk to your doctor. Sounds like you have some emotional issues that need to be addressed. If you have health insurance that may be another anvenue to try.

Alot of us understand where you are coming from, remember "baby steps" towards your goal! Good luck honey!

Hey! Why don't we start a support group. I am in the same boat with alot of you and I really would like to get lighter. I swear I don't eat but 1 meal a day(lunch) and I cannot loose the weight. I am 5'4 and 160 pounds. I am also very top heavy and it causes me to have bad back problems. I know hubby likes the chest but he doesn't have to cart these babies around 24/7 and I want them gone(or at least smaller). I hear alot of people saying they need someone to share it with so why not?

Horsehaven... That's a good idea!

here's a tip for you... when i joined weight watchers they said eating one meal a day was the worse way to loose because your body stores more fat that way. I dn't understand all that but they said you need to eat 3 times a day, just eat light and right foods.

I know your right Trailhoss. It just seems I never have any time( I know I am on here now but I got a good reason darn it),so I will just grab something fast and it is usually not real healthy. I have been getting quite adept at making excuses and that is why I think a support group would be a good idea. [big Grin]

We could just keep this thread going.

One thing I did do, I went to Walmart and bought one of the weight watchers brand digital scales. I am going to weigh weekly just like I would if I were goign to the WW meetings. I have to admit, I weigh more than I thought I did. I am very upset with myself for ever letting my body get this way. I know i can get it off, I just have to do it. ...I like to eat, so finding foods that taste good and are good for me is a challenge. I bought some things at walmart last night...no fat turkey breast. Boneless skinless chicken breasts, watermelon, bananas, diet soda and water, some cheap($1.08) Lean Gourmet (made by Michelina's) dinners, I bought the pizzas. They aren't bad.

I know I can do this! ...and with the help of support from this thread it should make it easier than doing it on my own [Yay]

[ 06-19-2006, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: trailhoss2 ]

Just a possible replacement for the diet pop. Either Perrier or Pellegrino (my favorite) sparkling water. The Pellegrino is naturally carbonated. I started drinking this quite a lot and I felt full and thinner. [smile] You can add lime or a little grenadine to flavor it up. Yum!!

I can relate to what you are all saying. I am 5' even and weight wayyyy too much for my height and frame. Big time emotional eater. Also a diet coke addict. I think a HC weight loss support group would be awesome!

Hubby and I have been on a diet of sorts for the last couple of weeks. He had thyroid cancer a few years ago and has to get a scan every year, so we have three weeks of an iodine free diet. Basically it means no eating out and no processed foods, just lean proteins and vegetables, fruits. Plus I have dropped the diet cokes and replaced it with sparkling water with fresh lemon.

Perhaps we could start a thread on general chit-chat and do an intro of ourselves, stating what has been tried and any helpful hints?

I wanna be lean, not necessarily mean!

quote:

Originally posted by Elise & Dash:

Just a possible replacement for the diet pop. Either Perrier or Pellegrino (my favorite) sparkling water. The Pellegrino is naturally carbonated. I started drinking this quite a lot and I felt full and thinner.
[smile]
You can add lime or a little grenadine to flavor it up. Yum!!

I like Crystal Light too. weight watchers says it counts as your water too. It makes it easier to get 8 waters in a day when i can mix crystal light into a a few of them.

Stress is a huge factor in weight gain too. I know you're feeling stressed, so remember that it'll be a combination of things that will help you feel good about yourself.

The walks are an awesome idea, because they'll give you excercise and they'll help ease the tension. I have a good metabolism, but I've been stressed over the last few years and good metabolism or not, I'm gaining weight like crazy. Just remember that to really be healthy, it has to be a combination of physical and mental. I need to work on that too...

[ 06-19-2006, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: e.s.dressage ]

I will get the Crystal Light, sounds good! I'm at my grandma's housesitting, and her water tastes' very 'irony'. So anything to make it taste better is a plus.

I'm drinking water now, usually I'm on my first Diet Dr. Pepper. I have a complete addiction to them, lately I have been going through a 12 pack every two days. So I'm going to limit myself, and every week take away one a day until it's one a day, a good 'treat' I figure.

I'm all for keeping this going and having a group effort. I am starting today, I've noticed a lot of other people are as well. I remember most of the Weight Watcher's points from when I did it a couple years ago, so I'm going to do that. Hopefully I can find the books in all my boxes in the garage.

I'm in a lot better mood now that I feel like I'm going to do something about it. I feel 'refreshed'. It's nice to know I'm not the only one going through with all this.

I'm going to plan out my day's food, write it all down and put in some exercise (riding Lotto and going for an evening walk).

The house is supposed to close today as well, so I'll be cleaning like a fiend and moving everything.

I'm going to go weigh myself real quick.

*173*

Less than I thought, sweet!

So my goal is to lose 4 lbs in two weeks. So by 07/03 I want to be 169, sounds possible to me.

Well I'm going to go eat some toast for breakfast and an orange. I'm not a big morning eater...

I figured I would show a couple "before" pictures as well. They're the only one's I have, but they show my size well.

- Me and Gypsy and my aunt

- Keno

- Daisy

This is what I looked like about a year ago and what I'd like to look like again:

-

I weighed 150ish in that picture and wore about size 9, I wear 11/13 now at 173.

Mudnsnow... you don't look bad like you think. I can understand why you don't feel like you look good, gaining weight always makes one feel like that, but you look nice. Count your blessings... you're a pretty girl- you can loose weight.

We can do this [Wink]

I don't even want to tell what I weighed this morning. Let's just say I've gained another 11 pounds since my surgery in February. I'm way too heavy.

I have a goofy figure, I have big hips that like fold over my jeans, and my thighs are just out of control and I have cellulite on my calves, how is that possible?

I ate my toast... Couldn't find an orange darn it. But for lunch we're going out, I think to Applebee's, I can get the Tilapia off the WW menu, yumm. (and only 6 pts I believe)

Count me in to!!! But hey, does anyone else ride ENGLISH? It's hard enough being heavy in a western saddle-but I'll tell ya, you have to be really really small to look good in an english one! Ugh!

I have tried it all, too. Been there, done that, lost it, gained back, lost it again, gained it again! I turn 40 in a couple of weeks and I have HAD IT!!!

I have started riding much more, I am going to the gym to do cardio and I started doing pilates. I am trying to just watch what I eat-make the right choices. I know what to do, it's just DOING it!

I would appreciate the help and accountability of a little support group here on HC!

I am a size 14/16 and want to be a 12 also. Today is a new day...

heh. I watched a show on PBS yesterday on weightloss. Not quite as dramatic as the 1000 lb man being carted out of his house, but something to think of none the less.

I've been big.. I can't think of a time when I was small. I have a striking memory of when I was maybe 13, needing a size 16 jeans. Course, I'm 5'10-ish, and looking at pictures of myself from then- I didn't look that big.

At one point, I was filling out a size 20. I look at pictures from then and... yeah, I looked that big!

I've been wearing a 15 for a couple years now. But the last 2 pairs of capris I bought were 13s. I try not to get hung up on sizes, but I don't think I've fit in a 13 since I was 10 years old. That is kinda neat....

What have I done to get from 245 to whatever it is I weigh now (honestly have no idea!)- kicked the soda habit, only have them as a treat for myself. I cut back on fast food- yeah, I still eat it, but not every day.. and I stick with kids meals when I do, since that's about the correct portion size for just about any adult. I quit buying prepared frozen food.. except ore-ida french fries- cook them in the oven, not too terrible. Completely nixed mayonaisse too.. that was hard! But generally speaking, I never told myself I was on a diet, never freaked out about how I looked, and it just all came naturally.. reckon I started spending alot more time outside around when I started losing too- and being outside here in the summer.. it's taxing on a person.

I'll stop rambling now. Best of luck to everyone!

If you start a group, I'd like to join too please!!

I've been overweight my whole life, (was even born that way). I have a hard time motivating myself - I don't have any skinny phases in my life to remember. Also at this point I've pretty much accepted who I am & I'm content with that - good for self esteem maybe, but bad for motivation.

I'd like to be in on that support group too! MudnSnow, I feel like you told my story for me, except that I'm older than you. It gets harder to change the older you are, so you're doing good to want to do it now!