Sign in to follow this  
ixnayfoo

Life In The Fat Lane

Hey I have been off to shows and futurities and hadn't seen this thread in a while! Glad to see it's still here and hi to all the new faces.

I am down to 154. [big Grin]

It's coming off slowly but surely and staying off pretty good.

I've been eating pretty good and making it to the gym at least 4 days a week. My jeans are getting kind of baggy, but not quite baggy enough for a smaller size. The only "bad" thing I've been eating is dark chocolate but I try to keep that treat very small.

I fell off the wagon [Me Cry] Im at 228, and really have no idea how to get back on the wagon...I havent been eating alot, and I have been working my butt off in the heat....any suggestions?

dont worry angel!

[Huggy]

You know for a long time I couldn't understand why I wasn't losing even though I work so hard and barely eat. But I had to be more honest about what I ate and how much I was eating. When it comes down to it the only way to really lose weight is to reduce your caloric intake until it is below what you are burning off. Period. We can talk about different foods all we want but the only reason that topic is valid is because a nectarine, for example, has less calories than a chocolate bar even though they fill you up the same.

I would suggest actually writing down everything you put in your mouth, and then go to that Calorie King website and find out how much you are actually taking in. Make sure you have your portion sizes right. Me for example, I love those Odwalla Superfood smoothie drinks, and it says 140 calories per serving and that's what I was counting. Unfortuantely, a serving is 8oz, and I was drinking about 12. Ooops. Same for other things too. You'd be suprized at how quick those calories add up.

When I go to the grocery store, I know that most of the center aisles are filled with nothing but refined junk with lots of sugar, preservatives, and chemicals in it. Aspartime and fake sugar is worse than sugar. I don't even go in those aisles. That's one way to do it. Just shop around the edges.

You have to train yourself a bit, to like different (better) things. It takes a while to change the habits but if you are consious of it, then it can happen. I have trained myself to really like fruits and vegetables and not like fried food or fast food or soda. I had some french fries the other day for the first time in ages and you know what, they were nasty gross and they made my stomach upset!

Good luck and don't give up!

Thanks for the advice cutter! I do (I think) pretty good with my choices...except for the fluids I take in. I love Gatorade...and thats what I drink at the barn, or even outside here when Im messing around. I dont like Diet drinks too much...but seem addicted to Sundrop. I know, its probably the most unhealthy soft drink in the entire universe...but I swear Im addicted to it!!! I think, Im gonna make some tea and substitute the tea for the Sundrop for a while to see how that works.

Good for you angel! That soft drink thing is a killer. I trained myself to only drink water and gatorade, and I will have the Odwalla Superfood smoothie from time to time but absolutely no soda. And you know what? I feel so good! No caffiene (I don't drink caffienated coffee either, just one cup of decaf in the am) and no sugary drinks really makes a difference.

It is hard at first but just don't buy it. Don't even go in the aisle it is in. Just walk right by it and every time you get thirsty drink water. Drink so much water you have to pee every five minutes and soon you will lose the craving for soda.

your so right soda is very addicting... It was really hard for me to switch from drinking soda to drinkiing water, but you can do it!!! My biggest problem is keeping a food log so that I can keep track of calories. Ive found that im not very good at keeping that darn thing up.

I recently went part time at my job because full time was driving me insane, I would come home every night and be exhausted and I wasn't taking good care of my house or husband. So now I'm going to have time to put in a couple hours at the gym every day, which is what I need to do.

And hopefully i can stop drinking soda too, I tried to quit for a while but started again.

I just can't keep up with all 19 pages of posts, but I know that I'm doing much better. Today I was able to do a 3 mile run, wash my car, and THEN do 6 dentistries. I was prepping for the 7th, and the vet was trashed. (She's a year younger than I am)

I'm not going to get on the scale until next Monday, but I have tons of energy.

A big problem I have is that I'm surrounded by "anti carb" people. They are sedentary, middle aged couch potatoes. I thrive on carbs, pasta is my best friend [smile]

I've been getting WAAAYYY too much protein and fat in my diet. So I'm back to looking for foods low in fat, not "low fat foods", I don't want processed immitation stuff to replace otherwise high fat products. For example, I was at Costco today, and there was a food demo of a "40% reduced fat potato chip" paired with a Chipotle Cheese Dip. The dip had 9 grams of fat in 2 tablespoons. I didn't even bother reading the fat content on the chips.

Instead I opted for a red pepper hummus dip that is 2 grams of fat per 2 tablespoons and a bag of baby carrots (no fat). I piled up the carrots, doctored up the hummus with more spice and kick, and I'm really happy right now.

If I want something later, I have some leftover potato/leek soup that was breakfast after my run.

I've been frequenting a running board for weight loss and general nutrition, but many of those people don't understand what I'm trying to juggle with wrestling horses for the vet as well as trying to ride my two. I can't do a 10 mile run at the crack of dawn and then sweat my butt off handling psycho horses in 100+ temperatures and still stay alive. After a certain point my body just breaks down.

I'm by no means a nutritionist or weightloss guru, but feel free to PM me if you EVER need help or support. Losing weight is really hard, I certainly know, but I think keeping it off is even harder.

I've realized that right now, after assisting the vet for two years, I have upper body muscles that weigh a ton and are not going to go away. I'm trying to re-learn how to run and compete with this extra weight. I have beautifully tailored ladies suit jackets that no longer fit me in my arms and shoulders because I have all of this muscle.

In the meantime, my legs now have to carry a much heavier upper body from point "A" to point "B".

Hey I just saw this board and it sounds great! Of course you all have been on here for awhile so I haven't read all 18 or so pages yet but I'm definitely in! I'm 23 years old and 5'6" tall with a big frame but I weigh 198 pounds which isn't good. I've been told I don't look like I weigh that much but still I don't like it. I've been slowly working on losing weight, I threw out most of my junk food and now have plenty of fruit and veggies. My mom also bought me a really fun exercise machine lately so I'm starting on that and walking, Tae Bo, or riding horses. I'm not sure how many calories riding horses burns but I figure by the time I go catch my stubborn horse, walk his butt up to the barn then tack him up and ride it's got to be quite a few.

I'd like to get down to 150, the least I have ever weighed was 160 when I was 17 and I looked good so we'll just see. I definitely want to shoot for it anyway. I do feel sorry for my horse now though, even though he's a pretty stocky built Paint he's only 13.3 and I know we'd both feel better if I was lighter. So just thought I'd let you know that I think this is great and look forward to hearing from some of you! Have a great day!

i got up this morning and i weighed 230 so i was a little happier but then tonight i weighed 233 i wanted to cry but i realize that you cant base it on weighing every thirty seconds.i feel really bad for my girls and boy. I need to lose more weight quicker. Do yall have any suggestions?

Brownie, just weigh yourself at the same time each day (AM, after you go potty, before you eat breakfast and before you shower) that way you aren't weighing the "extras". Try in your undies only, too. Clothes can add up to alot!

As far as making changes to help lose weight, switch your starches from refines white flour to whole grains...the more fiber, the more work to break it into fat to be stored. Also, ditch sodas, juices and any liguid calories. try for diet drinks, or even better, water. Fill up on fruits and vegies before you eat a main course (like chicken or lasagne, meat loaf, etc.) If you eat slowly, you'll fill up on the good stuff and have less room for the potent foods. Don't snack between meals (unless it's carrots or celery or something very low in calories): "just a bite" of a candy bar can add up if you do that several times a day. Junk food is LOADED with empty calories yet do little to fill us up and feel full. Take, for instance a donut. They have about 250 calories for a regular glazed donut. An apple has about 80. You could eat 3-4 apples to get the same calories...but you'd be more full after 1-2 apples and have a hard time eating the 3-4. Go get a diet journal and a nutritional info book at a book store and start keeping track of what you eat and how much...you'll be amazed and then be able to see where you want to change things in your eating habits. Above all....drink LOTS of water.

I think I gained a couple pounds back this week too which puts me close to 200 again, [Frown] but I got up early this morning and did lower body toning on my weight machine. It's hard to get back on track sometimes I agree, but I know if I do even a little bit of exercise or just go for a walk I feel better and can get started right again. I also work for a veterinarian so I get some exercise wrestling various sizes of animals each day. That's part of the reason I want to get stronger, cause some people have a negative attitude about a girl going out on the rounds with the vet and I want to prove that I am just as good as any guy, most of the time, at handling cattle or horses. Plus the vet I work for has Percheron horses that he has me help him with so to get even a little leverage on a big 18 to 19 hand 2000 pound horse I need some strength, lol. Hope everyone is having a great week and a happy weekend! [big Grin]

i had said i wanted to do this when it first started but ive been bad. I want to start agian so here i am 232 and thats way too much i have a second job cooking at a burger joint and i stand all the time and its just hurts my rebuilt knees way too much and i would like to look good in clothes

People don't realize how big of a deal drinks are! A couple years ago I decided to stop drinking anything but water. I'd squeeze lemons in it for flavor and would drink watered down gatorade every once in awhile.

I did that for about 4 months or so before I had a soda again. It made me sick to my stomach. Of course, I started craving them again and started drinking it regularly.

On the same note, my cousin lost about 60 lbs over the course of a year JUST by quitting soda. He still had juices and tea but didn't drink sodas. He ate and maintained a relatively sedentary life style too.

Pay attention to salads eating out too. Often time the salads have more calories then a burger does.

Another tip my doctor said was that if you have to eat fastfood order a kids meal. It will satisfy your taste buds without the calories of a regular meal.

I wanted to see what you all think of my meal plan. I have been trying to keep it low calorie, but I'm a starch fan.... for breakfast I cut down having one bowl of cereal to half of a bowl then I have a snack in between, usually a piece of fruit or baby carrots, then lunch I will have 1cup of brown rice with vegetables. then a snack in between lunch and dinner. For dinner it depends usually a light dinner like a bowl of soup, or a grilled chicken salad. I just started this about a week ago, Ive decided that diets just arent going to cut it. I'm going to have to get serious and change my eating habits. so tell me what you think. Tips and maybe some low calorie meals would be great!!

I don't drink soda, even diet stuff. Occasionally I'll have a V-8, lemonade or iced tea. Be careful reading labels, since these things will have calories per serving info, but often the bottle or can will be MORE than one serving.

In fact, I'll first look at "number of servings" and multiply that by fat or calories per serving so I have a better idea of the TOTAL calorie & fat content of a package.

As for salads, at restaurants always make sure you ask for the dressing on the side. If you can request vinegar or fresh lemon and oil, you can better control the fat content. If you get a salad with a prepackaged dressing, try only using 1/3 or 1/2 of the dressing, don't just dump the entire contents on the salad. At home I make my salads in a plastic container with a lid. I snap the lid on and shake the salad so that I can really get the dressing evenly distributed.

I like cheese, and although it's a good source of calcium and protein, it can be loaded with fat. I use top quality cheeses that pack a lot of flavor like Pecorino Romano, Gorganzola or Aged Feta so I can use very little yet still add great flavor to salads or pastas.

I only use extra virgin olive oil, and try to use it sparingly. I don't use margarine, but I always have top quality butter in the fridge. A tiny bit of butter will make a much bigger difference in taste than gobs of cheap imitation stuff.

Even though the weather is still pretty hot for most of us, I've gotten back into eating more soup. I forgot how healthy many soups can be, packed with lots of vitamins, veggies, and very filling. I love making homemade soup, but I've found some good store bought ones as well. Last week I discovered an organic creamy potato leek soup that is low fat. I saw it at the 99 cent only store and figured I'd try it. I loved it! I then saw it at Henry's (local health food store) and it was $3.59!! THAT made me love it even more!

I have new incentive now.

Uri has been doing so well with everything-literally, nothing has been bad! So I decided it was time to get her broke. I took it very slowly b/c all though the former former owners said she was green broke, I have come to find that that word takes on a whole new meaning when trying to sell a horse(long sad expensive story) and usually tend to end up meaning something like "Psyco." [big Grin] Any whoo, went from being saddled, to ground driven, to blocked up(I scooted the block all around her then stood on it-Yes, I'm so fat I need a block to get on a 13 HH horse), to leaned on, to a foot in the stirrup, to a person on each side w/a foot in each stirrup(weird right [smile] ), to me getting half way on(one foot in the stirrup and my hip/belly on the seat of the saddle.

Well, last night she kept losing her balance when I would get halfway on, and my mom(she was helping me since Uri IS her horse-or so she thinks Mua Ha Ha) thought it was b/c I was just to heavy for her. (It kinda hurt to have someone say that, but it was true and it was my mom so I know she wasn't saying it to hurt my feelings.)

I have decided that until I get down to 233# I won't ride her at all. When I reach that, I'm going to lightly ride her until I am pretty sure she won't buck or anything w/my mom. Then she will be my mom's horse until I am 175#. Or she weighs more than the 700# I estimate her to be. (Haven't broke down and bought a height/weight tape yet.) She is gaining weight pretty steady, but has very fine bones-and a HUGE @$$. She is definately a stock horse! [smile]

To keep myself motivated, I am going to write her name on my hand b/c I can't post her pic on the fridge. And look at it before I eat ANYTHING. I am going to get a pic of her w/the saddle on and edit/photoshop/what ever it and make it say, "I'm waiting." I'm going to post that where I exercise to give me more incentive to push through those last 6 when it really hurts.

The good side of this is that I'll have more time w/Joe. I'm really tired of him not paying attention to me at shows and stuff and walking all over me. It took one clip on my heel-and my neighbor not letting her little girl go near him-for me to realize that he has become WAY to pushy. [Duh] The only way to work on his position when I lead him is to lead him right. That is going to become my cardio-and strength training judging from how many times I had to pull him back or stick the whip in his face to make him slow down-routine since I cannot afford a gym. [big Grin] Luckilly I have a 2 mile treadmill in the form of a looped road w/hills. LOL

I guess what really p!sses me off about Uri is that she shouldn't be that way. If the people that had her two people before me had taken care of her and fed her the right stuff in the right amount, she would probably be about 14.2 now and three feet wide. [big Grin] Seriously, you should see the butt on this horse. She is all muscle and bones-mostly muscle now though, you can only see the ribs if you are looking pretty hard. And she has such a great mind. So laid back and yet learning all the time.

quote: "To keep myself motivated, I am going to write her name on my hand b/c I can't post her pic on the fridge. And look at it before I eat ANYTHING. I am going to get a pic of her w/the saddle on and edit/photoshop/what ever it and make it say, "I'm waiting." I'm going to post that where I exercise to give me more incentive to push through those last 6 when it really hurts."

Rojo, that is such a GREAT idea! We should all do that.

The temporary sugar fix you get from junk food isn't worth the yucky feeling you get when you zip up your jeans, girls!

Also, I would recommend a book called "What to Eat" by Marion Nestle. She is an nutritionist and it is not a diet book, but it has worked for me better than any diet book would. She just lays it on the line; what is good and what is not, and why.

Panda, I'm with you. Those low carb people must not ever DO anything that requires energy! [Duh] The thing with low carb dieting is they cut out all carbs, good and bad ones. The weight they lose at first is water weight. When you eliminate all the carbs from your diet, it causes your body to start getting rid of water. So the diet appears to be working (and fails tragically the minute you eat even one serving of pasta or the like). If they lose any more weight than that, it is simply because in elminating carbs from their diet they have reduced the total amount of calories they are taking in.

Bottom line, girls: (I say girls because I don't think we have any guys here, right?): the ONLY way to lose weight is to reduce the amount of calories you take in, or burn them off through exercise. A pound of fat is 3500 calories. Therefore in order to lose a pound a week, you have to cut out 500 calories a day. If you are a soda adict, this is easy; just stop drinking soda!

Healthy foods like fruits, veggies, complex carbs, and whole grains will help because they generally have less calories and more nutrients than processed junk food.

When you go shopping, stay out of the center aisles and shop around the perimeter of the store. Don't even go in an aisle that is devoted to processed food and soda and candy. Don't even look at it! (walk right past and look down at your hand where you have your horse's name written instead [big Grin] )

On the personal front, I have been travelling again and boy it is hard to eat well when travelling. We have a seven horse trailer so we can't just pull off the highway anywhere for a bite. It's truck stops or nothing.

I have done okay for several reasons. One, I packed a cooler full of "my" food for the road including nectarines, apples, raspberries, snap peas, odwalla superfood smoothie, trail mix, and odwalla protien bars. I didn't have to eat much out except dinners. I cut my portion sizes down at the restaurants. Since I have been doing that regularly, I haven't really wanted to eat big meals anyway.

We went to Big R while we were up there because they always have closeouts and irregular jeans for 10 dollars a pair. They had a bunch of 20X low rise slim fits. I don't know if they fit different from Cruel Girls but that is what I usually wear. I have a bunch of low rise cruel girls in size 9, but they have been getting baggy so I was like what the heck and tried on some seven/eights. Now I am the proud owner of 6 new pairs (hey 10 dollars a pair!) of size 7/8 20X low rises! [Yay]

I am still at 154 as of this morning. Can't wait to get to the gym this afternoon!

I just saw this thread. Haven't been on here much. But I thought I'd chime in. I also only read the first and last page, so I have no idea what's been said. [smile]

This spring I decided I wanted to get rid of the extra weight I am carrying. I climbed up to 150, a size 10/12, earlier this May, my heaviest. Im 5'4". I know it may not seem like that much to some people, but to me it was awful. I gained weight after graduating college and starting a new job. I am still active through my job training horses, but I ate so much cause I now live in the boondocks and didn't know anyone so I just sat at home, watching tv and eating at night.

One day I went to get on my horse and my jeans ripped right along the inner thigh. Fairly new, supposedly stretchy jeans too. Talk about a wake up call. I had been trying to ignore the tightening of my clothes, and had been pretty successful until that happened.

I am now, at the end of August, at 135, a size 8 and Id like to get to 125 before the holidays get here. The first thing I did was get out and meet people so I would have something to do other than eat. Through a new friend, I joined a karate class three times a week and have even been asked to compete at competitions later this year. I have never done anything like karate before but its alot of fun, great self defense, and a great workout for both mind and body. I also met a great guy at karate, who Ive started dating and he helps motivate me to be healthy too. He works out all the time and eats well, so that really helps motivate me. I just take one look at his six pack...

I noticed several people said something about having a partner. It really does help. What really works is the two of us helping each other with the things we know about and learning from each other. I know horses and running. I ran track in high school, xc in college. He knows fighting and weightlifting. So I teach him to ride, using muscles even his weights dont get to, and how to run correctly, what workouts to do to help his cardio for when he spars and boxes. He helps me with lifting strategies and fighting for karate class.

I also went out and bought an ipod and armband. That way when I tell myself I dont feel like running, I look at that ridiculous piece of plastic that I shelled out so much money for, and I get my butt up and go run cause that's what I bought it for. The trick is to get me out the door. Once I've started exercising, I feel great and want to keep going. I can run 4 miles easily, my goal is 6, so Im running for a whole hour. I have also looked into running a couple 5k's in October. Having a race to look forward to completing is a great motivating factor. I know I wont place that high, I mean I wasn't that great at xc in college lol. [Razz] But the sense of accomplishment I know Ill have from crossing the finish line will be worth it.

I didn't have to change my eating habits too much once I started exercising more and just not sitting on the couch eating an entire bag of chips while watching CSI reruns. I still eat what I want, just in moderation. Ill still stop at McDonalds, but I don't get a large sized double quarter pounder meal. When I shop, I aim for more fruits and vegetables, and try to stay away from proccessed foods. I also make myself drink more water. I have a water bottle that I must refil and drink at least 6 times a day. More if its hot since I work outside. I am addicted to diet pepsi, and I do still drink it though. [Razz]

Anyway, thats what I have done over the last few months and the 15 pounds I have lost have seemed almost effortless. It has recently started getting harder, I can see this last 10 pounds isn't going to be as easy, so Im glad I found this thread.

[smiley Wavey]

[ 08-30-2006, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: pegasus431 ]

Ok, so I quit soda cold turkey 3 days ago, the first day I felt great, now I am tired but feel good about it.

Remember to drink lots of water ladies!!! Monday was really hot so I had been sweating all day and then I went to work out and sweat some more. I didn't drink enough water all day so I felt dizzy most of the night. Better remember gatorade today!!

quote:

Originally posted by Rojo Encendido:

To keep myself motivated, I am going to write her name on my hand b/c I can't post her pic on the fridge. And look at it before I eat ANYTHING. I am going to get a pic of her w/the saddle on and edit/photoshop/what ever it and make it say, "I'm waiting."

Instead of writing on your hand, why not get a nice bracelet? Maybe one of those horse hair bracelets I've seen on another post - that way when you reach for the fridge you can look down at your wrist and say "This is my goal" and grab something healthy.

I know for me I feel like I don't deserve nice things now or I'll buy new clothes when I am skinny, but what does that give me? Nothing to wear!

We all deserve nice things no matter what size we are.

Hmm, I think I might get myself a bracelet...

this looks like a great thread, anyone else joining I'm interested. Got some of the shirataki noodles to try(low carb low fat low calories) since I'm a pasta addict.And found a site called hungry-girl.com that has lots of good tips. My main thing is trying to find something to curb my hunger. Any suggestions?

Lena

The bracelet is a great idea! Sadly, she doesn't have enough hair for me to get some of it to have someone make a bracelet. I think I'll just get one of the ones with the horse's name on it.

I have started riding Joe again to get us both back in shape. I would like to show him in halter, but he needs to build up some more muscle. On the Horse Show board, everyone says to long trot them for 15 min on a longe line, so I figured I would do that-only with one major difference. I'm gonna POST his long trot for 15 minutes! So far, we are doing good. I feel safer when I post b/c he likes to jump just to see if I'm paying attention. When I'm posting correctly, I don't lose my balance or anything. It has made me more confident.