Sign in to follow this  
rainyspirit

lunging question

My arabian returned back from 30 days of training lame and he had time off from being worked. I have lunged him a few times and he did fine. I took a few more days off and started back to lunging him again BUT he is now stopping and facing me. How do I get him back into lunging in the circle? I don't have a round pen and I have done what the trainer has told me. I don't think its all him I feel maybe its me. I have owned him since he was 8 weeks old and this is the first horse I ever had to continue training. So its an learning exp for the both of us.

Did the trainer do round pen work? That is why he is turning in. When they do round pen work the cue for the horse to stop and turn in is if you step in front of them.

You need to have you shoulder facing his shoulder the whole time. Do you carry a lounge whip? That would be handy.

When he stops go ahead and walk up to him. Use the lounge line and pull his head in the direction you would like him to go. Use the lounge whip to tap his shoulder, do not tap his butt. If he is not responding to a slight tap hit him harder on the shoulder(continue getting harder until he moves away). Eventually he should move away from the pressure, and you can continue lunging.

Hope this helps! You might have to do it a few times. Just remember to stay at his shoulder.

[ 08-03-2006, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: Rhiatta1090 ]

Make sure you are longing in a circle small enough to reach him with a stick or a longe whip. When he turns to face you, start by tapping him lightly on the neck or shoulder in the direction you want him to go. If he ignores you then tap harder and harder and harder until he does go. After a couple times of this, he will figure out it is easier to just go forward. If he stands and ignores you he is being disrespectful and you need to nip that in the bud ASAP. Also make sure that when you want him to go, point in the direction he needs to go before you get after him with the stick. he will soo watch for you to point which direction he should go and it takes the pressure of always having to get after them off a bit...if they choose! Hope this helps. This is what I did when my mare would try facing me all the time. Good Luck! [Wink]

Oooh, I just read what Rhiatta wrote and that sounds familiar! Only I would not walk TO him ever. Gaining respect in the horse world means you can move the other horses feet. If he stands there and makes YOU move your feet than he has just won. If you are too far away from him to reach him with a stick or longe whip, then pull him to you until he is close enough. WHen he gets where you want him, point and start tapping the shoulder...you get it.

Sorry, that is just my opinion and what I have heard. I try to ALWAYS make my horse move her feet cause the day she is standing next to me and steps toward me and I move!...is the day she gains control over me! Heck NO! [Jump]

quote:

Originally posted by lopenslow28:

Oooh, I just read what Rhiatta wrote and that sounds familiar! Only I would not walk TO him ever. Gaining respect in the horse world means you can move the other horses feet. If he stands there and makes YOU move your feet than he has just won. If you are too far away from him to reach him with a stick or longe whip, then pull him to you until he is close enough. WHen he gets where you want him, point and start tapping the shoulder...you get it.

Sorry, that is just my opinion and what I have heard. I try to ALWAYS make my horse move her feet cause the day she is standing next to me and steps toward me and I move!...is the day she gains control over me! Heck NO!
[Jump]

opps I forgot to mention that. Usually I do pull him in before ask him again. The only reasons I sometimes walk to him is because he turned in from my fault not his. He stops only when I make an error by stepping in front of him, and then he will stop. So it is a little different because he is not being defiant, just reacting to his stupid owner at times [Wink][big Grin]

No, I agree with you though. Human error is much greater than horse error MNAY times. I am amazed that I can teach my horse ANYTHING sometimes. Same goes with my third graders! Sometimes I think...Are they learning anything at all??? [Duh]