Sign in to follow this  
MithrilMaid

Zebra doing DRESSAGE????

I'm also wondering why it's so offensive. I find it more strange than anything else.

To the person that said "racism still runs rampant" here in South Africa. It really isn't as bad as all that. I think for all the nonsense our country has been through, we're actually doing really well as far as racism is concerned.

It's offensive in the US, because "black face" used to be a method of acting where whites would paint their faces black and portray African Americans in rather racist ways.

A farm around here has a zebra, it's a total cow and still very wild despite their best efforts to train it to be managable. We share the same farrier, so I hear all the horror stories LOL

In a nutshell, blackface was a way for white people to portray black people in the most racist way possible. They would paint their faces, then act out every horrible racist idea there was about the African American community- lampooning them, basically- acting like monkeys, acting very stupid, etc, etc. There was some validity to it as an art form, and sometimes it actually challenged racist ideas or worked as satire, but for the most part, a white person in blackface connotes the more cruel, mocking aspects of old minstrel shows, and really upsets a whole lot of people.

There's more to it than just that, and for a more involved history, click here

"Blackface is a style of theatrical makeup that originated in the United States, used to affect the countenance of an iconic, racist, American archetype - that of the darky or coon."

Stereotypes embodied in the stock characters of blackface minstrelsy played a significant role in cementing and proliferating racist images, attitudes and perceptions worldwide.

-

I think people on here should stop getting offended about nothing that concerned them. If they didn't get bent about it when and where it took place. Drop it. [Huggy]

On the other hand that is a well done paint job. But Zebras are physically almost identical to Donkeys/*****. They even kinda bray. But their attitudes are nothing like a donkey, They are real jerks!!

No darlin, I meant the ones that were getting offended before anyone asked WHY it was offended. I'm not getting bent. It's just that this thread got way off topic... I know it happens [big Grin]

Hey, I just made an observation based on the picture. The person was in blackface, and yes, I find it offensive. I did not realize that in South Africa it is not considered offensive. I grew up here, where it IS offensive to do that, as you will know if you know the history of it.

well raven, to take it further off topic, why is it an "if you weren't there" situation?

I've heard this before in relation to other things, and people will say that "well you weren't there and nobody THERE was upset."

Why is that a good reason for other people to *not* get upset? People, upon viewing images that upset them, are perfectly entitled to their reactions, IMO- whether it happened next door, across the ocean, years ago, or whether they were there or not.

"you weren't there, so you shouldn't have an opinion" just makes no sense to me. Everybody has opinions and feelings- if something provokes a gut reaction like that, are they not entitled to that reaction just because they weren't there?

(again, this isn't limited to this instance- I've seen it happen before and in relation to totally different things)

Hummmm I didn't find it offensive either, but then again, I didn't grow up in the States....

[Confused]

Anyways, I thought you might enjoy some pics of Josh Lyons' zebra:

-

-

-

(I took those while I was in Parachute in June [Cool]

Okay... I didn't mean to start a racial thread. I just thought the pic was funny as it said "REAL" zebra doing dressage and it obviously wasn't real.

I do realize that some people will find the 'black face' offensive but I didn't even realize the person was painted at first, I was mostly looking at the horse. I also realize that many others would not find that offensive simply because they are in different locales where perhaps the race issue isn't such an issue as it can be, especially in my area.

Thanks everybody for sharing in thread and enjoying the pics for what they were, funny pics.

And thanks to BEARCAT for those GORGEOUS pics of that baby! Is Josh Lyons training it? (i assume he is looking at it as a challenge to the strengths of natural horsemanship training?) It should be interesting to see how he turns out!

Thanks again everybody! [smiley Wavey]

I can't help but think that there's a possibility the rider's intention was not to be in blackface at all... Perhaps the rider wanted to be in costume to match the horse, and so the rider painted their face black. If blackface did not originate in their country - I'm more inclined to believe the rider didn't even know it could be offensive. Because after all - who in their right mind would go into an arena filled with onlookers ready to offend them all? Someone with a death wish perhaps.......

I had no idea about the whole 'blackface' thing. Now that I've seen that picture of the blackface actor, I can understand why you guys would find it offensive.

I'm sure the rider didn't mean it that way at all, as the last poster said, she would have to be really stupid to do something like that on purpose in this day and age.