Sign in to follow this  
mydakota

keeping weeds from outdoor arean

We just put in a small outdoor arena this summer. It is in the SE corner of my pasture and there used to be grass growing there. We worked the ground up 3 or 4 times and it is nice and clean and smooth. My question is, what are the methods that some of you have used to keep vegetation from growing back up in your outdoor arenas? I know we will have to work it from time to time, but is there some kind of chemical treatment that is safe to use that will keep things from growing there in between times? I will welcome all ideas. Thanks!

Well, you could use something that will sterilize the ground for a few years, but then, you may have erosion, if you are getting growth because you are not plowing or using it.

For a quick weed kill, 24D will do it, or, if you want to kill everything, Landmaster, that is 24D and Roundup will kill all it touches, for a few weeks.

If you are not using the arena much, how about mowing the weeds and let some grass grow there?

Easiest and safest way is to simply work a little salt into the ground when you till it up. Nothing will grow there for quite a while, and it won't bother any animals. Cheap too, hehe.

I actually am using it quite a bit. I just started Dakota under saddle this spring and am still putting a handle on him in there. (though I am taking him out and riding him some now too). I also use it to throw my 7 year old son up on Macai and turn them loose for him to practice on. I worry about him less in the arena--where can she go? I also foster for a rescue and need to use it from time to time for the fosters. But after every rain, there are still some weeds trying to germinate and I wasn't sure what chemicals I could use safely. Is a ground serilizer/pre-emergent like Casoron safe to use around the horses? I don't want anything that will be an irritant if it comes in to contact with their skin. We have used Roundup and 2 4 D on other parts of the place in the past and both work well, but where I am talking about the vegetation is not at all thick. It is just a blade coming up here and there. I just don't want it to take off over the winter. Our ground freezes for long periods at a time and we cannot always work the ground. I am not very well versed in what pre-emergents are okay to use around horses. Thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it.

Spray liberally with Round UP! You can get "pasture safe" round up that is supposed to be non-toxic to livestock. But, as long as you don't let your horses in there to just sit by themselves, you should be fine. My BO uses round up all over the property to keep grass and weeds out of the round pen, arena, and off the fences (we have electro-braid) and he has never had a problem with it.

~Barbara

I actually LOVE the salt idea. It just so happens that I have about 50 lbs of rock salt in the shop as we speak. (Hubby makes a lot of homemade ice-cream [big Grin] ) I think I will try that the next time we till.