Sign in to follow this  

Indian names for horses

Anyone have any indian names for their horses? I would love to hear them. I have a mare named Dakota. My sister has a mare named Lakota. What are your indian names?

[ 10-21-2006, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: Fawn and Jazz's Mom ]

I don't, but my friend has several.

Cochise, Cherokee, Apache, and Diablo. She has a dog named Lakota too.

Cochise is my favorite, he's a gorgeous paint. Not sure if you'd call Diablo Indian, but it's different!

Diablo is spanish for devil.

A good one for a red horse is Red Cloud. He was one of the great chiefs.

Red Cloud said:

They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never kept but one; they promised to take our land, and they took it.

another name;

Big Foot. he was given an American flag and told "as long as he flew the American flag, no soldiers would fire upon him or his village. He was killed at Wounded Knee while flying the American flag on top of his teepee.

sorry for the history lessons, I got carried away but here's some more names;

Spotted Tail, Crazy horse ( hmmm...only if your horse is crazy lol, but he was a great warrior and leader) Ghost Dance or Ghost Dancer, ( not an Indian name but it is a dance that the Indian peoples fought to keep). Roman Nose, White Horse. Two Moon ( chief of the Cheyennes). Little Big Man. If you read the book " Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee",( you can get a lot of good names) or " Lakota Woman" (This book is more about saving the Ghost Dance and the American Indian Movement in the 60's and 70's. Both are great books.

[ 10-23-2006, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: REMONA ]

I have always been a little hesitant to use the name of a real Native American or chief. I don't know if it is disrespectful or not to name a horse after a famous and noble chief.

I like to research the languages and pull something from there.

American Indians cherished their horses, I don't think they would be offended at all if you were to name a horse after them. They based a lot of their individual wealth on the amount of horses they had. They were the best horsemen that ever existed. Gwani Pony Boy for example, he trains Indian style and he's an awesome trainer.

I have two with native american names...one is a mini filly...her name is Cheyenne and the other is a large pinto pony named Chief. I also had another mini gelding at one time named Comanche. I named the mini...the other two were already named when I got them. And I agree wtih Romana, I don't think that it is disrespectful. The native americans cherished their horses. I am part Cherokee and I do not find it disrespectful at all...but that is my opinion..... [big Grin]

Here is a pic of Chey and Chief....Chief is blind

-

Funny true story.

I worked at the horse concession in St Mary, MT in 1981. It's on the north-eastern edge of Glacier National Park and in the Blackfeet indian Rez. My boss had many good friends among the locals and they would often come around to buy/sell/trade horses, talk horses, etc.

One day two blackfeet guys were hanging around while my boss was loading tourists on dude horses. One guy (from Cleveland, if i remember) was sitting on his horse waiting for his buddy's to get horseback. The two indians, Chucky and (HONEST! this was his name!!!) N*gger Joe (he was very dark skinned) were standing there being 'stoic' like tourists expect them to. They loved playing the part. Anyway, Cleveland asked my boss what his horse's name was, and my boss said "Cherokee."

The guy turns to his buddy and says, "SEE! I told you we'd come west and the horses would all have in-" He stopped and suddenly realized Chucky and Joe were watching him intently, NO expression on their faces. My boss took pity on the guy and said..."Indian names?" The guy could only nod his head. My friend took the ride out and as soon as they were out of sight and hearing Chucky and Joe just about DIED they laughed so hard!!

Most of the indians i know name their horses "Cash" or "Knothead" or "Junglebunny" (SERIOUS). I knew one indian who had three geldings named Phil, Jerry and Doug. Yeah i know, we're supposed to be talking about traditional names. [big Grin]

I've always been partial to the names Sagebrush and Tumbleweed for a couple of prairie ponies myself.

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

A friend of mine has a beautiful black/white paint and wanted to name him after Michael Landon's horse on Bonanza so I looked that up and it was Cochice and I had a appy who was bred back to the original app's, he even did the Indian Shuffle, had the broom tail and hardly no mane and his name was Apache

Bumper Your post stopped me cold. We had a Sheltie named Tumbleweed (When he was little, he kept falling over and rolling down the yard like a tumbleweed when he went to pee so we named him Tumbleweed) A few months later we got a Collie who we named Sagebrush to go along with Tumbleweed!!! Two great dogs.

How aboot the word for "horse" in a native tongue?

I am 1/4 Cherokee and so I looked it up in the Cherokee dialect for an example(I can only type it out phonetically: so-qui-li, pronounced sew kwi lee). That's just an example, but any of the native tongues you wanted to use would work [big Grin]

When i was in college i had two roommates and we rented an old trailer house off campus. We each had a dog and i had my cat, a HUGE grey tabby named Big Friday. Friday weighed 21 lbs, had paws an inch or more across and when he streeeeeeetched out he was 47 inches toe to toe. He was a sweetheart, but when he got up on the roof he sounded like a HERD of cats. So he earned the indian name "Ten Cats Running". He was also very powerful and if he wanted to get under the trailer, he would push huge rocks as big as my head out of the way to get there! That earned him the nick-name "Conan the Kitty". LMAO

Each of our dogs earned indian names too, but all i remember is my Aussie cross's name. Cricket was short and broad (not fat) so her indian name was "Almost a Badger". LMAO

One more...the friends i worked for in St Mary had a mutt named Moki. One day a pickup went by the concession loaded to overflowing with belongings. As it went by my friends, a tiny puppy rolled OFF the mound of things and ran ACROSS the highway right to my friend Linda. She scooped him up and kept him warm in her coat. An hour or so later the indians came back asking if she'd seen their dog. She said no, and all the while the pup was sound asleep in her coat. LOL

They named him Moki, which means "dead indian" in Blackfeet. When they took him to the vet they found out he was BARELY 4 weeks old. [Eek!] Can you imagine putting a puppy that YOUNG loose in the bed of a pickup piled high with crap???

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

[ 10-24-2006, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: Bumper ]

How about Nacona? He was Quanah Parker's father. They called Him Peta Nacona. I hope I spelled that correctly. Please, someone correct it if it's wrong.

My beloved Arabian was named Zakima. A previous owner had named him. According to that owner it means Runs Like The Wind. I am not sure in which tribe it is taken from, I do know the actual spelling is an Su rather than Z.

Be careful however. A friend from Lebanon told me in his dialect, that the same name is slang for "one who has flem".