Sign in to follow this  
Reed

New kid around the barn

I have a new kid hanging around the barn the past few days..he is asking a lot of training questions, of course I dont mind answering...but the things he tells me you can really tell he has no idea and expects me to think he has...should I help this kid he is about 20 years old and full of bull? of do I have enough bulls that I have turned into steers?

I personally would do a lot of answers that involve "this is how we do it" and "this is why we do it". If you combine those two it seems to work better.

Eventually someone will have to tell him that he knows nothing. If it can be done in a gentle way he may continue on. Occasionally when it's done harshly they quit all together.

I did have one girl that I had to sit down and say look I know you think you've got it as far as knowledge goes but you are dangerous without about two years of just listening.

And my favorite for the knowledge challenged and ego strong...

"You know you're not learning much just listening to yourself talk."

Hope it helps. Hope he learns.

Bethany

Well if he's asking questions that's a good sign. Usually the know it alls would rather jump off a cliff than ask a question! Maybe give him some time and he'll quit being so full of himself? Good luck.

This whole situation reminds me of this know-it-all, very competetive girl I used to work with. I had pictures of my horse on my desk, and she made the comment that she owns "several" horses herself. I said "Oh really! I guess we have a lot in common then." I told her that my horse needed his coggins again, and then she said in a very snotty way "Well MY horses get their coggins EVERY DAY AT NOON". [big Grin] I guess you have to take these people with a grain of salt [Wink]

It sounds like you have someone looking to you for encouragement but at the same time he doesn't want to seem vulnerable.

If you don't want to be his mentor then maybe you could just suggest some training books or websites for him to read.

Lots of people that age have monumental egos, or at least that's the disguise they wear to cover their insecurities. I agree with the "how and why we do it" comment, because that style of answering not only imparts knowledge, it also offers a choice(the listener can accept or not). Don't turn the young bull into a steer--he's bound to get smarter with time and help. Sounds like you're gonna need some patience.