Sign in to follow this  
Katie Schuur

Broken saddle - advice please :-)

I am posting this because I can't find anyone in the Birmingham, Alabama area who does saddle repairs. But first - I gotta start off by telling you all how this happened.....

It's been very cold here, so I've been keeping my horse in his stall with his winter blanket on, all nice and cozy for the past couple of days. I decided I wanted to take him for a ride in the indoor arena. I tacked him up, and I got on. He did not want to walk... He had all this pent-up energy from being stalled the past couple of days. So we started dancing/jigging/hopping. He wanted to run so darn bad he just couldn't stand it, and I was angering him by holding him back. I knew that if I gave him his way, and let him canter around the arena it would be one of those awful uncontrollable canters where he bucks every now and then due to all this energy. I was getting frustrated too, so finally I got off of him, took his bridle off, and said "GO THEN! GET IT ALL OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM!!!" He went running/bucking and running/bucking and running/bucking in circles around me until he was dizzy. And then, to my horror, I noticed his nose unusually low to the ground and sniffing for a place to roll (with ALL his tack on). I started screaming "NO!!!!!" but it was too late. The pressure the horse put on the saddle horn as he rolled was too much for the saddle to take, and it broke right where you tie the cinch up. The three screws that attach to the tree where the cinch strap is located, were pulled straight out of the tree. And then, of course because the horse had a breast collar on as the tack fell to the ground his front leg got tangled up in the girth and he ended up DRAGGING all of his tack across the arena [Eek!]

Can this saddle be fixed?? I know the tree itself is not broken (split) thank goodness. It is a fiberglass tree, so I was wondering if I just can't get an electric screwdriver and screw the screws back in there in a different location. Here's pics of what I'm talking about.

THE CULPRIT (trying to look innocent):

-

And the damage:

-

-

-

I'm going to make a suggestion and i hope you understand where i'm coming from. But if that's all that was holding that rigging on your saddle, you need a MUCH better saddle. As you can see, that's dangerous. What if it had come undone while you were riding?

If you can't afford to get a different saddle, i hope you can find a competant saddle maker to fix it...fix it RIGHT. Do not let anyone put it back the way it was.

Goodluck

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

quote:

Originally posted by Bumper:

...if that's all that was holding that rigging on your saddle...

[Eek!] I was a little bug-eyed at your photo and wondered if ALL saddles were made that way. Glad to know that is not how saddles are usually made. Whew!

To answer your question, yes, you CAN screw it back in a different place...but I have to side with Bumper and say that it does not look sturdy or safe to me and I would scrap that saddle immediately.

Can you say new saddle for Christmas?

Yes the saddle most likely can be fixed but you'll need to find a good saddlemaker to do it or you could contact the manufacturer and see if you could send it to them.

Good luck.

What brand of saddle is that?

I would look into getting another one. Thats absolutely dangerous how they rigged your saddle and the saddle maker should be beaten for it.

Its a good thing that you weren't on it when it would of let loose eventually.

Good luck in your saddle search!

Vickie

Yikes!!!! I have to side with the others--you need to get another saddle, even a used one, that is made sturdier than that one. If it was me, I don't think I'd trust it even if it was fixed, because the other side is just as weak could cause you to get hurt! Sorry that happened to you, but maybe it's a blessing in disguise. At least you weren't aboard when it happened. [Eek!]

This is a B Bar B show saddle I bought off Ebay.... So maybe that says a lot right there. Maybe this is a good lesson for those who are thinking of buying one, as well as a good lesson for myself.

Oh and by the way, I ran across one of Santa's Elfs the other day, and he happened to mention to me that my husband is buying me a new saddle for Christmas (a really GOOD one!) [Yay]

Hooray for Santa's elves! I'm glad you're safe, and obviously Santa wants to make sure you stay that way. [smile]

Sure shows that you get what you pay for doesn't it? That's why i always preach against cheap saddles (cheap, not inexpensive. Deals can be had!).

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

Rollin',

You've gotten good advice. It might be painful to hear, but that saddle should be thrown away. It's dangerous to you and to your horse. The construction is obviously poor, but the real problem is the design. Doesn't matter how well you put it together when the design is unsafe. No saddle rigging should be attached this way.

The three main legitimate rigging types are Ring, Flat Plate, and In-Skirt. (You can see illustrations and info on each at this page: http://www.western-saddle-guide.com/saddle-rigging.html) You'll notice that the rigging on your saddle isn't one of these styles.

Good luck on your new saddle. Don't forget to consider buying used. You can buy a lot more saddle for your money in the used market.

nah nah, dont blame EBay for the saddle. Ebay has good stuff if you know what to look for, in the people the description, ect, dont let one incident turn you off.