Sign in to follow this  
PaintHorseKate81

Da Posse Party

quote:

Originally posted by Rhiatta1090:

Rhiatta's training ended back in December
[Wink]
. I have not been able to ride him since the Blizzard...which is why he is acting like a nut. I normally make him run in his pen until I let him stop when he is acting like that. But he lost a shoe today, and there is ice in his pen he kept slipping on.

Do you know good that makes me feel??! I feel so guilty cause I haven't done much with Chy this winter. Knowing that I am not the only one is nice to know.

Since that crazy weekend two weekends ago, I am totally in "I don't care mode" and "we will get to it" mode. Just knowing what i am going to focus on in her training and the thought of finally riding her daily again in the spring makes me feel better. We WILL get caught back up.

Well, since I am waiting around and not accomlishing anything, I guess I will go browse the boards! [smiley Wavey]

Rhiatta you live in Colorado too! [smile] Where in Colorado do you live? When you said blizzard I had to look and see if you were from Colorado. I live in the Denver area. The snow around here just wont seem to melt. [Frown] I am so tired of the cold and the snow. I really can't wait until spring! I haven't even been able to see my girl in the daylight except on weekends, since its dark by the time I get off work. But I have next week off so hopefully it warms up for me so I can hang at the barn without freezing to death.

Lopen- I don't know what is worse an easy keeper or a hard keeper....they both can be difficult at times! [Crazy]

Don't feel bad about not doing anything with Chy. [Huggy] . It happens during the winter. If you don't have an indoor arena it is near impossible to ride.

How do you think I feel having Rhiatta kicking out, running from me, and acting like a yearling...oh wait....even Texas doesn't do that [Razz] . Even worse when I can not put him in the round pen and work him. He knows he has an advantage over me. If only he knew that all of his 'attitude' will be gone in a few months [big Grin] .

JC- I am about an hour east from Denver...depending on traffic. I think the word 'Blizzard' is the universal code for, 'you live in Colorado', lately [Wink]

Rhiatta does sound like a crazy man! OR he just LOVES winter! I took Chy to a roping practice two weekends ago. She did wonderfully especially since I hadn't ridden her in two months. She wasn't bothered by the team ropers roing a steer and running them right towards us or the noise or nothin. Even the multicolored striped barrels that were around the outsides of the arena. Then Tim told me I needed to lope her. Mind you it was 25 degrees in an unheated indoor arena with a snow storm movin in fast.

He got on and started loping her, held to tight on the reins and she braced, bucked 2 or 3 times and then REARED! I was amazed, shocked and I dramatized the whole thing way out of proportion. But still. He isn't used to riding in a snaffle and I told him he head no levergage when pulling straight back. Told him he should have pulled her around right away.

I knew she wasn't paying enough attention nor was she ready to do loping. I was glad that she was calm and that I could trot her in the middle of the arena and that she was steering and stopping very well. Next time I will listen to my gut and let hubby focus on riding his own horse! Have I said that I HATE winter lately?!

Lopen- Sounds like Chy is enjoying herself [Wink] . I am confident that if I don't longe Rhiatta before I ride him coming out of winter, he will test the waters.

Did hubby hold on when Chy did that? I am sure your heart skipped a few beats [Huggy] . At least she got the experiance at the clinic.

Sandance- Nice to meet you [Huggy] . Avery seems to eat well like Rhiatta [big Grin] . He is a VERY handsome boy. I love his coloring. It is a very soft sorrel that you don't see often, but is beautiful when you run across one.

Hey there Rhiatta!!!! So glad you are safe and sound! We missed you! Boo boo lip looks to be in fine fettle. . . and it sounds like he's feeling fit as a fiddle with all his frisky frolicking! (I like the letter "F". . . can you tell? [big Grin] )

Hey Lopen. . . I haven't ridden in over a month. . . so don't feel bad. We do have to deal with polar temperatures right now. . . it's a bit nippy for any real work to be done. Wouldn't wanna work up a sweat on those ponies of ours now, would we?

OH. . . Let's see. . . I think some of our new additions wanted photos of my fabulous pony!!! Well. . . I'm more than happy to play the proud momma role and brag about my boy! So here you go!

-

-

-

-

Hey there Lopen. I never did hear what happened between Chy and Timbob. If you are up to explaining it agian would you PM me? You don't have to though. . . I'm just a bit curious, that's all. . . and you know I'm hear for ya! [Huggy]

Wow! This group has some really beautiful horses. Kate, your boy is gorgeous! I love the way he is built too. I can see why you are such a proud mama. [smile]

Have any of you ever had problems with any of the other horses at your barn? Zoey is out in a pasture with 3 other horses and I have been having a problem with the group leader. He is a little appy gelding. The only gelding of the group. He is very dominant. I go out every night to feed Zoey her grain. I bring her out and sit in my car while I feed her. Well when I go to get her out he has been really crowding me, wanting to come out too. I'll go to back him up or I'll swing my lead rope at him to move him away from me. In the past he has just pinned his ears but still moved off. Well this week he has been trying to challenge me. When I swing my rope or cluck to move him away he will half rear up and act like he wants to strick out at me. Last night he tried to bite me. Barely missed my arm. I smacked him with my lead rope in the shoulder and he charged at me. Luckily I was on the other side of the gate. I called the BO and told her what he's been doing and she was really suprised. Said he's a big puppy dog and doesn't have a mean bone in his body. That he was probably just jealous of the attention the other horses are getting since his teenage owner hasn't been out to see him in a few months. Anyways I'm just not sure what to do. Whenever I try to move him away from me it seems to just make him act more aggressivly. It has become really tough to get Zoey out of the pasture without getting into some sort of confrontation with this horse. Last night after he tried to charge at me I resorted to throwing snowballs at him to get him to leave. It worked. He didn't bother me the rest of the night. But thats not really much of a solution. And if someone sees me doing that they might get mad. I just moved to this barn at the beginning of January. I have never met this horses owner, and would be kind of interested to see how they interact with eachother. Anyways I was just wondering what you guys would do in this situation. I may post this on the training forum as well.

JC that is crazy! What a brat. I would beat the heck out of that horse if he tried that with me! You are MUCH nicer than I! Okay, not "beat" him per say...but you know what I mean. I don't care if he is someones horse or not, he is dangerous to others and if he is trying to kill me...I WILL stick up for myself. Not your fault he is completely untrained!

This day has been crazy and I would KILL for a nap right now! Ugh....

[ 01-31-2007, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: lopenslow28 ]

Well I got up at 4am got ready and went to see my horse and meet the vet. Joy We got going good, we caught some draft from a semi and actually cut an hour from our drive because of it Not to mentioned saved my butt alot of gas . Got whataburger for breakfast and it decided it didnt like me so yea... 3 restroom stops. Bleh.

We get there ahead of schedule, enough time to just sit down and warm up after paying homage to old decrepid Dorris. My hands were FREEZING even with the heater on.

Well I warm up and get up and out and grab Poco and decide to do some basic grooming. Bushed the knots out of her mane, did some hoof picking, Cut off some of her tail because it was dragging on the ground... again.

I went for a walk with Poco, something I confess have never done with her. She was nervouse, she never went out with me without me riding her. She calmed down with a treat though Well I got cold again and decided I wanted to sit in the car in the sun. So I take Poco over open the car door and sit down. She looked at me as though I just got eaten alive She sniffed, sniffed the whataburger bag,then sniffed me, sniffed the window,and once again became indifferent once I was deemed ok.

I went for another walk, then got borded and sat on the trunk of my car when the vet drove up.

He got out, looked at me, said morning and went and got his clipboard. Poco was imidiatly interested with the "OOOOO whats that?!" Look then repeated the look when he opened the clipboard and pulled something out. He started writting on it and she just had to see what he was doing she started sidling up trying to see. It was funny. Then the vet started going around, scratching in her markings on the paper, Poco was going "what are you doing?" turning her head this way and that, and kinda preened

Then the vet finished and started getting the rest of my info, and said his name is Poco, etc. I figured that he was one of those people that use "his" and "him" in the general sence, till he said

"I'm assuming gelding"

I said "Mare"

"Oh!" and he craned and looked, "Ok mare"

He then got his syring thingy and patted her neck and Poco preened again till he stick the needle in her, The look was priceless. At first confusion then the "YOU BIT ME!!!!! " look came upon her face. It was PRICELESS. That was about it. i asked the vet where to give shots and he told me the locations, the neck, the meaty part on the chest, and the hip, he said he didnt use the hip because he liked not getting kicked.

So yep. I am now waiting for the results and I should get them in about a week.

I think I missed something?! The results of what? There isn't anything wrong with her is there???

That is good that Poco was a good guy...I MEAN GIRL! [Wink] Chy has never been bothered by getting shots which is nice.

[big Grin]

Oh, good. I see. SO she IS moving soon? Is that right? Did you decide (convince your mom) on a place that is closer? Ooohh...that is a lot of questions in one teeny little paragraph! Sorry guys!

So...Does anyone remember a while back in the training board that there was a post about Curt Pates article on how bad the one rein stop is? well, I found another "mini" article he wrote about a horse that needs to be rate down from a fast lope should be "spiraled down" to a stop. To me, a correct one rein stop should be done this way at a lope. So I posted n it in the training board. Hope I don't cause TOO much trouble! I just found it totally ridiculous that one month he says they are terrible and the next month he comes out with te same thing and a different name. He should have done his research!

Oh well. Just found that interesting. Off to home to clean stalls. It snowed all day long. Yuck. Just when I thought "it might actually be dry enough to ride when the weather warms up!" it snows. Snow means melting and melting means...WET! Darn... [Me Cry]

Yes, its official folks, once the results come back good, and I get that $400 first and last boarding thing, she is changing homes homes! [Yay][Yay][Yay][Yay]

quote:

Originally posted by jcdawn23:

Wow! This group has some really beautiful horses. Kate, your boy is gorgeous! I love the way he is built too. I can see why you are such a proud mama.
[smile]

Have any of you ever had problems with any of the other horses at your barn? Zoey is out in a pasture with 3 other horses and I have been having a problem with the group leader. He is a little appy gelding. The only gelding of the group. He is very dominant. I go out every night to feed Zoey her grain. I bring her out and sit in my car while I feed her. Well when I go to get her out he has been really crowding me, wanting to come out too. I'll go to back him up or I'll swing my lead rope at him to move him away from me. In the past he has just pinned his ears but still moved off. Well this week he has been trying to challenge me. When I swing my rope or cluck to move him away he will half rear up and act like he wants to strick out at me. Last night he tried to bite me. Barely missed my arm. I smacked him with my lead rope in the shoulder and he charged at me. Luckily I was on the other side of the gate. I called the BO and told her what he's been doing and she was really suprised. Said he's a big puppy dog and doesn't have a mean bone in his body. That he was probably just jealous of the attention the other horses are getting since his teenage owner hasn't been out to see him in a few months. Anyways I'm just not sure what to do. Whenever I try to move him away from me it seems to just make him act more aggressivly. It has become really tough to get Zoey out of the pasture without getting into some sort of confrontation with this horse. Last night after he tried to charge at me I resorted to throwing snowballs at him to get him to leave.

AAAWWWW! Thanks JCDAWN!!! I AM a proud momma! He is a handsome boy though, isn't he??? [big Grin]

I would suggest carrying a lunge whip or dressage whip when you go to catch your horse. . . A firm tap on the shoulder with one of those should establish some boundaries with him. He IS challenging you. . . you need to be up to that challenge and let him know that YOU are dominant, not him. After a bit he will associate that whip as an extra appendage, which equals a longer reach for you. You can keep him out of your personal space w/ out having to deal with his agression.

[ 01-31-2007, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: PaintHorseKate81 ]

Thanks Kate. I think that is a good idea. I do need to keep him out of my space. I have smacked him with the lead rope and even with my hand but that puts me too close to him. If he charges I want to be farther away from him. A longer whip would help keep that space between us. Most horses take off when I "spank" them with the leadrope or even when I just twirl it in their direction. But not him. He comes at me with his ears pinned and jaws snapping. [Eek!] I am curious to see how he interacts with other humans. So far I haven't seen any one else handle him at all. I have a feeling he is probably pretty pushy with his 14 year old owner, but who knows. He's a cute little horse, just needs to respect humans a lot more. He just seems like he is used to being in charge, even of humans. I will dig out my longe whip and take that with me next time. Thanks for the advice. [smile]

OOoh I think the lunge whip is a good idea. I was going to say the same thing. Mainly to keep him farther away. You can also tie a plastic grocery bag on the end of the stiff part so it makes noise. You just don't want your horse to be afraid of it though. [Wink]

I was just over to Star brushing her. Let the shedding begin! Two days ago it wasn't much but today lookout! [Eek!]

Patty: The plastic bag tied to the end is a great idea. I'll try that and let ya'll know how it goes. Your horses are already shedding? Gotta love the months when they shed. Hair everywhere! All over your clothes. The wind blowing it your hair and eyes. But they always feel so much better with all that extra grooming so it makes it all worth it. [Wink] Zoey has so much hair this winter, its going to be very messy when she starts shedding.

I can't wait for next week. I am a nanny for twins and the grandparents are coming to town from Arizona. So I get the week off. Yea! That means more time during the day to play with Zoey! [Yay] I just hope the weather cooperates and is a bit warmer. It has been so cold here lately.

PPali, shedding already??? I am SOO jealous! Wait until you see the pics I got of Chy tonight. NO chance of loosin those 10 inch hairs any time soon.

I SO think she missed me! It was a nice evening with no wind. So before doing stalls, I decided to go groom her. I haven't even done chores all week cause I have been so busy with work so Tim has been doing them. I got out to the pasture and she walks right up to me. Smellsmy face (or breath I guess) and just nuzzles me for 20 seconds or so. Usually she will smell me and just stop to enjoy the grooming. NOT TODAY! I groomed her all over and she tried her little heart out to groom me back, rubbing her top lip on my coat and my stocking hat.

Of course I as I always do, I engaged in a little "horse ettiquette" as I always do when I am with them. I kept the other horses away from her (so she sees ME as the boss! [Wink] ) I also made sure she would move out of my space when I asked. At first she ignored me so I had to wake her up a bit! She took the hint though!

Then I started grooming Buddy and Chy decided to try to groom me. I decided I didn't want her in my space like that...no matter how sweet and cute, I was the boss so I do the grooming! She eventually gave up trying to groom me and started grooming Buddy with me! SO cute. This is very rare cause usually he will have nothing to do with her grooming him (cause he is the boss!) So she took advantage of ME being the boss to groom him a little bit.

Anyhoo, it was a nice night and I missed my baby girl! NOW I am going to overload you with pics! BE PREPARED (and I hope you all don't mind) [Embarrassed]

Check out this hair Patty! -

Grooming session...

-

Check out the beard...MAN or horse?

-

More coming!

Running to see me out in the pasture..

-

RUnning away from me after the dog started tormenting her. This was right after she bucked, slipped and fell flat on her side!

-

And after all the running and grooming.

-

THE END!

Oh, and the longe whip is a GREAT idea. Keeps him further away. Have fun on your week off JC. I am JEALOUS!!! [big Grin]

Man oh Man that is some long fuzz.I love her color. The longest on Star is about two inches. Those pictures made me so cold!

I can't decide what to have for dinner. maybe just spaghetti.

JC- I would also carry a longe whip. However, be prepared for him to kick out in your direction. I would also use a lot of body language. Get MAD at him. Step towards him aggressively, and use your voice. When I really get at Rhiatta with my body language he runs...pretty quickly too [Wink] .

Patty- Rhiatta and Mandy are shedding too. You can't touch Rhiatta without having a hand full of hair. It gets all over my clothes...I could be a Rhiatta look a like. The joys of shedding [Frown] .

Lopen- Wow Chy looks REALLY good [Eek!] . I just love the way she is built, she is so beautiful.

So my ferrier is hopefully going to make it out tomorrow.

Rhiatta is about 1 1/2 months over-due. He was suppose to be done in December, and now it is Feb. His feet look terrible. Everytime we schedule it snows. I am keeping my fingers crossed he can come tomorrow.

Good timing Patty! Great minds think alike...do they not??

Spaghetti...I COULD make that but hubby is eating a ncie oven cooked supper at a friends so I am cooking for one...with no oven. [Me Cry]

Maybe just cereal and popcorn again. [Confused]

sounds like a night eat out then [big Grin]

Rhiatta,avery has been eating a LOT.that was kinda a wierd angle.i need better pics of him...

jc, i know how you feel about that gelding.i went to go catch a horse for my trainer once, and a mare whipped around and charged me!i was totally taken by suprise, and jumped in a tree.the BO watched the whole time and yelled sarchasticly "whoa, look out sandy!hahaha" anyways,good luck gaining your ground with him!