Sign in to follow this  
Hunter/Jumper_Gal

Managing a Career & Horses?

I'm sure that not all of you have equine related careers, and after a lot of thought, I'm starting to think about career options outside of the equine world. I suppose my biggest concern with chosing a career NOT related to horses, is that I won't be able to ride. As an adult, I'd like to continue showing (not big circits or anything, but local shows, maybe even a low rated show every now and then) and/or possibly take on project horse. In an ideal world, I'd like to own property with just a couple horses on it for pleasure/small shows, although that'll have to be something I deicide how realistic it is much further down the line once I have a steady job, etc..

So what I'm wonder is...

Do you board, or keep your horse(s) on your property?

What do you do for a living?

How do you manage your job and your horse(s)?

Thanks! [smiley Wavey]

(sorry, x-posted to GCC and HJ)

i manage a career outside the horse world. i am an occupational and physical therapy assistant in the military. i have been in 4 years and my horse has been with me 3 of the those years. We have been to Vegas, San Antonio and now IL. I am currently working on figuring out what i want to be when i grow up, since the military will pay for me to go back to school. My ultimate goal is to be a vet, but i would be happy as a nurse or occupational therapist. no matter what i have made time for my horse. we arent currently showing but thats due to technical difficulties. i am planning on going to 3 schooling shows this year or clinics (that would be huge for us). when i am attending class i see my horse weekends only, when i am not at school i see my horse 3-5 times a week (weekends included) it's all about time management which i still have not mastered! lol i board my horse although in aperfect worl i would have property!

[ 02-05-2007, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: RickisSweetSmoke ]

I work full time in a hospital's Human Resources department, and I board my horse. A few years ago, I lived in the country and kept my previous horse at home. It was great having her right there, but at the same time, it was really working full time and commuting almost an hour each way. After a divorce, I had to handle everything myself - the house, property, horse - it just got to be way too much and I had to sell my horse (broke my heart!). Not long after, I had to sell the property and move into the suburbs, closer to my job & family. My current horse is boarded, and the barn is only about 35 minutes away, but by the time I get home from work I'm really tired, so I mostly go on weekends. The nice thing is that the barn owners let me & a friend of mine who also boards there keep our travel trailers on the property, so we can spend all weekend there if we want (and we usually do, except in the winter). Still, I miss having my horse at home with me, but unfortunately, I haven't won the lottery yet. If I were a few years younger and a few dollars richer, I'd get a place and board horses and do trail rides or something and try to make a living like that.

I work full time plus some as a GM for a company. My little Haffi gains weight very easily. So, during the week, I get to the ranch before sunrise and do a sunrise workout with him. Usually I long trot the trail loop or I do arena/ground work. Than I change my clothes, do a quick wipey to get rid of the horse smells and get off to the office. I board 20 minutes from where I live.

I am a teacher and have a 4 yr old QH that I am constantly training on myself. Teaching is great (obviously) because of summers off! Then it is horsey time ALL te time and I ahve found it to be very theraputic and fun as well. I can't imagine at this point having a job where I worked all summer! What a downer! [Wink]

I currently keep my horses at home, but I am not working so I do have the time to care for them and the property. (I have kids, so that is my excuse) Many years ago I worked full time and sometimes overtime, but I boarded. I don't think I could have worked and kept horses at home. However, I do know people who do and do fine. I also know somebody who worked outside of horses and got her own place only to find she had no time to ride due to working and then the chores. So she sold her place and went back to boarding so she could actually ride!

Do you board, or keep your horse(s) on your property?

I own a home, but lease a property with the barn and 40 acres about 20 min away. Small two stall barn. Self care. Do all the feeding, chores, maintenance of the property, etc.

What do you do for a living?

I work in IT. (not what I went to school for...but hey, you gotta pay the bills and pay for the critters!)

How do you manage your job and your horse(s)?

In the winters, I don't get to ride much. It's dark and cold most of the hours that I'm at the barn. I do my "long" day at the barn on Saturday--spread manure, rearrange hay, maintenance, etc. Sometimes if it's not terrible weather, I trail ride on the weekends too.

In the summer, if it's going to be hot, I sometimes ride before work....otherwise, I ride after I get off work and take advantage of the weekends.

Typically, I get up in the a.m., get ready for work, drive to the barn, feed, then go to work. After work, I run home and get my dog, then go do chores/ride.

I am single...so I don't have a family here to worry about as far as fixing dinner, bedtimes, etc...so especially in the summer, I may not get home til 10pm or later.

I think that if it's important to you, it's doable. But having your own horses/property, etc is a lifestyle...not a hobby. 90% of my time with the horses is work, not riding time. If you board, I think the opposite is true. But I really do enjoy cleaning stalls, feeding, having control over what my horses are getting fed, when they get vaccinated, etc etc etc....

The two main things IMHO to be concerned about is finding a career path that gives you the financial stability you need to support yourself and your critters AND gives you the time to enjoy them.

We own 6 1/2 acres and our neighbor lets us pasture off part of his 20 acres in exchange for helping him mow what isn't pastured. We keep 4 horses on our property.

I work for the local phone company doing payroll. My degree is in recreation, but I decided I liked having my weekends free, so I stayed with the 8-5 job instead of going into my field of study when I graduated from college.

I'm lucky, my husband helps with the horse chores. He helps feed, water, clean stalls, fix fences, put out round bales, etc. During the winter, I only ride on weekends for a couple hours as weather permits. During the rest of the year, I ride after work and on weekends. I have an awesome boss who lets me work extra hours early in the week and take off early on Friday or just take a vacation/personal day whenever I want if it's a "good riding day".