Sign in to follow this  
satansfury

Older Tex Tan... Jack B?

Im trying to find out more info on that saddle, and its value.

Its sorely in need of some TLC as it has just sat in a garage in a pile for a few years.

-

Heres the latigo holder, the numbers are: on top, 1314I, and on bottom, 5690219 (I think)

-

-

-

Im just looking for something that fits my horse, but I'm wondering what a fair price would be to pay for a saddle like this?!

satansfury ~ Are you certain it's a TexTan?

They usually have their logo/stamp somewhere on the fender. It will say either Hereford Brand or Brahma Brand. Hereford brand is their top-of-the-line saddle.

In my experience, the second number on the latigo keeper on a TexTan is the date of manufacture. Yours appears to be more like a serial number. All Hereford brand saddles made after 1945 have a serial number stamped somewhere on them, usually on the skirt, under the fender. They used to put it on the stirrup leather, but stirrup leathers can be changed.

If it's a Hereford brand, it should have a rawhide-covered tree. Are the stirrup leather buckles Blevins buckles, or the old Al Ray(two metal pieces)buckles?

From the buckstitching, I'd surmise that it's from the late 60's, early 70's.

You can google TexTan, and click on Customer Relations to send them an e-mail inquiring about the saddle. Be sure to give them all the numbers on it. If you could send them a picture, it might help. They've been very helpful to me, going so far as telling me the month a saddle was built.

satansfury ~ On second thought, that number 5690219 might be the date of manufacture. 5 could stand for May, 69 the year 1969, and 02 the day of the month. Or, it could be that 5 stands for the day of the month and 02 stands for February. TexTan can straighteen that out for you. Good luck! [smiley Wavey]

Please forgive me for butting in, but for a moment, I thought that was one of my stolen saddles!

One is the hereford brand, but I never identified the other saddle. I think now I remember a number stamped on that small piece of leather, but I don't have a pic of it.

I appreciate everyone keeping their eyes out for my saddles. They could be anywhere by now.

http://www.netposse.com/stolenmissing/stol...kALAugust06.htm

Thanks!

Angela

Its definitely a Tex Tan, it says: Hereford Brand Tex Tan Kenway Leather Co. on the fenders.

It has blevins stirrup buckles.

I looked for a serial # on the skirt and haven't been able to find anything.

I will be sure to email Tex Tan, I'd love to learn more about this saddle. Seems like it really is an oldie, I had thought maybe 20 years old (based mainly on the fact that it has the buckstitching). I has a matching breastplate and bridle too [big Grin]

I'll be sure to post pictures once I get it all shined up!

Well I emailed tex tan, haven't heard anything back yet!

Heres a pic of the saddle on my mare, after I oiled it once. It didn't fit her well with that pad, but I tried it with my friends Orthosport.. it looked GREAT. Unfortunately I don't have an orthosport at the moment (nor the money to buyo one!), so I think shes going to buy it. Lucky gal, its a great saddle!

-