Sign in to follow this  
Baybegirl79

zebras

do you have to have a liscence to have one or are they domesticatble? I saw one for sale on a horse website? Huh Is this becoming more common in the us? I didnt know you could buy them

your opinions? Im not asking if one should I am just asking is this more common than I thought?

thanks

I was on a road trip one time when we came across a herd of horses. Being the horse nut I am, I had to glance at them. I thought nothing of it, but did a quick retake when something seemed out of place. Sure enough, there were a couple zebras in with the horses. I have no clue on permits or such you need to have to keep them though.

Exotic animal laws very from state to state. You'll have to check with your state's dept of agriculture.

They don't have the greatest temperments - rather like a VERY ornery mule. As hard as they are to buy, they can be just as hard to sell.

I have definatley seen an increase in the availability of Zebras. I noticed them hitting the market several years ago. They breed well enough in captivity that the zoos do not have a shortage, so breeders needed a new market. They are also starting to cross breed them more with horses and mules. I have had no personal experience with them, but have also heard that they are quite stubborn (or strong willed).

http://www.spotsnstripes.com/

This is one of the ranchs out here that I have noticed. I have no idea how well they sell.

Edited to spell check [Duh]

[ 02-28-2007, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: Libby Jean ]

wow and thanks, I personally dont want one but I was suprised to see an ad for a zebra, interesting. guess if someone really wanted one thats cool. I wonder what kind of cross it would look like with a horse, mabye like a mule with stripes?

wild lol no pun intended

Some people whose kids go to my son's school have exotic animals, including zebras. Every once and awhile the zebras escape and run amok. It's weird seeing zebras running along the roads of Richmond, VA.

there is a place I drive by every day they have a zebra and 2 camels the camels like to lay down and stretch thier necks out under the fence to eat grass

A friend of mine had a zebra, and trust me there's a reason why they don't make good riding animals. You see, they haven't been domesticated as long as horses have and they have a VERY, VERY heightened fight or flight reflex/defense. I honestly don't think anyone would have fun on a trail ride with a zebra... even a well-broke one. Take the most spooky trail horse and multiply it by 100 and you have a zebra. And yes, they are quite stubborn! LOL.. What can society decide to ride next that has four legs?? I'll bet a gazelle would make a GREAT jumper! [big Grin]

quote:

mamanahe

Member # 40029

posted 02-28-2007 06:08 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

there is a lady in altus,oklahoma that has a zebra stallion pretty resonable stud fee too,her website is

wow... [Eek!][Eek!][Eek!]

that brings the "why breed junk" post to a whole differen level...

lol, yeah I don't think Id ride one, they are pretty but Im probably not qualified to own one, I was really suprised to see some for sale I just didnt know you could. I dont disagree or agree with owning one I was just suprised. I wonder what someone here would think about someone owning a zebra, it would make the local news I think. Interesting thought

thanks

I was honestly just curious if they could be sold or owned, very interesting I wont own one probably though. Im not getting into the junk issue lol. Interesting point though

thanks

A few years ago I went to school at Monty Robert's ranch Flag is Up Farm and they had two Zebra's that where boarded there. The people that owned them where training them for Dressage which I thought was very interesting. Both of them where young. I believe one was 2 yrs & the other was 3 yrs.

They where incredibly playful though! They both had a bunch of stuffed animals in their stalls that they would pick up with their teeth and toss around. They where both sweet boys and the owner took one of them out for me to pet and take a pic with.

One thing the owner did say was that training these guys was NOTHING like training a horse whatsoever and if you did try and train them like a horse you where setting yourself up to get hurt. To bad I dont have a scanner or I would post a few pics of them.

Here in Wi theres this guy who breeds Zorses and Zdonks.Ive seen them at the midewest horse fair and they are "cool" looking,and look very strong,but I just dont know how I feel about breeding a wild animal too one that is domesticated..I better add since Im in the USA Im referring too the horses here not in other countries.

I know he ask a pretty price for these,but the whole wild w/ domesticated is a bit differnt for me.