Sign in to follow this  
Marco_Polo

Zorses & Zonkeys Oh My!

I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience or pictures with this type of cross. I'm considering checking one out that's for sale & I was just curious overall about these guys..

Just a reminder: Please remember that it's against the rules to post copyrighted pictures on the HC boards. Links are fine though. Thanks. [smile]

quote:

Originally posted by rattusrat:

Just a reminder: Please remember that it's against the rules to post copyrighted pictures on the HC boards. Links are fine though. Thanks.
[smile]

..I only ment pictures if it was THEIR photography..Sorry

khaos. . . I've never run across one of them myself. . . but I have googled them before. . . VERY neat coloring! From what I've read, as far as training goes. . . they are supposed to be very similar to mules as to the methods you would use and the way they learn. Here's a couple websites I found for ya!

http://www.geocities.com/zedonknzorse/index.html

http://www.spotsnstripes.com/ZorseInfo.htm

so excuse my ignorance, are they as big as most horses? they seem to be built a lil smaller. are they suited for any particular discipline? i still need to see one in person before i can believe my eyes.

quote:

Originally posted by lalacan:

Kate,

Thanks so much for sharing those links! I think I am in love!

If ya google "Zorse" "zony" or "Zedonk" you should pull up lots more links! I think they have the most awesome coloration... and I love the ones that look like mules! The big floppy ears and the brown stripe-itty stripes. . . [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by RickisSweetSmoke:

so excuse my ignorance, are they as big as most horses? they seem to be built a lil smaller. are they suited for any particular discipline? i still need to see one in person before i can believe my eyes.

I think it would depend on what the zebra was crossed with. . . but perhaps a bit smaller than the average animal just b/c Zebras aren't quite so tall. But I could be completely wrong. . . I'm certainly no expert on the matter. [Confused][big Grin]

i am so sorry for this, but those animals freak me out on so many levels.....

talk about pointless backyard breeding. we hear of all the problems in the horse marked, and this is allowed?

Zebras are ecceptionaly hard to train (from what i can find out) because their instincts are so wild and so important for their survival. this is a trait that they do give their offspring, and it makes them very unreliable.

it is one thing to breed horses for color... it happens, and hopefuly it is usually combined with conformation and tempreament considerations. Mules were and are bred to get a bigger stronger "donkey" there is logic there, a need/marked that was satisfyed.

but crossing a Zebra with a horse or a donkey? why? because they "look cute"?

why dont we just put our feemae dogs back out in the forest to be covered by wolves? oh, yeah... the outcome is a dangerous animal that should be left in the wild....

i am sorry if i offend peope here, but this is an issue that burns my eyes....

I dont understand why someone would want to breed a domestic animal with a wild one.

I do think they are neat looking (in an odd way [Razz] ) But I dont think that the horse industry needs any more "mutt" horses.

Just my 2 cents.

quote:

Originally posted by skjotta:

i am so sorry for this, but those animals freak me out on so many levels.....

talk about pointless backyard breeding. we hear of all the problems in the horse marked, and this is allowed?

Zebras are ecceptionaly hard to train (from what i can find out) because their instincts are so wild and so important for their survival. this is a trait that they do give their offspring, and it makes them very unreliable.

it is one thing to breed horses for color... it happens, and hopefuly it is usually combined with conformation and tempreament considerations. Mules were and are bred to get a bigger stronger "donkey" there is logic there, a need/marked that was satisfyed.

but crossing a Zebra with a horse or a donkey? why? because they "look cute"?

why dont we just put our feemae dogs back out in the forest to be covered by wolves? oh, yeah... the outcome is a dangerous animal that should be left in the wild....

i am sorry if i offend peope here, but this is an issue that burns my eyes....

ummm, I think I agree with you on this one....

what happens to the poor animal when you discover that you cant train it?... slaughter, abuse, neglect??????????

they are difficult to train, unpredictable, and very uncomfortable to ride as they are very much stiff on the fore.

I think zebras are beautiful and have their place.... out in the wild for us to admire at a distance, we shouldnt tamper with this one... I think (my personal opinion) that breeding *only* for color (without consideration for the other things that make a great horse) is just plain wrong and only adds to the growing "unwanted horse" population....

We were at a Toys for Tots trail ride last October. There was a guy that had a Zorse. I think that would be what it is called. Zebra sire, horse dam. He was well behaved except he liked to chew on leather, so you could not tie him close to anything with a saddle.

He was 4 years, had been riding for 1 year.

Here is the picture I took at the ride. Sorry I did not get a closer one. He did have the zebra stripes on his legs. He's the one on the left. Stands about 15 hands.

-

[ 04-05-2007, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: goatmom ]