Sign in to follow this  
shaye

Cutting Trainer help!

I live in the Weatherford area in Texas and I am looking for a good cutting trainer. Do any of yall have any recomendations? I looked on the NCHA website and since weatherford is the cutting horse capital of the world..there is like a billion to choose from and I have no clue where to start! Any help would be appreciated!

I live in the Weatherford area in Texas and I am looking for a good cutting trainer. Do any of yall have any recomendations? I looked on the NCHA website and since weatherford is the cutting horse capital of the world..there is like a billion to choose from and I have no clue where to start! Any help would be appreciated!

I am in the same boat. I've had a few recommendations. Tom Neel is one - he trains cutting and reining horses. Someone said he is good for beginning cutting riders. Kobie Woods is a top trainer in Stephenville. Lindy Burch is in Weatherford. Richard Johnson is in Decatur.

When are you looking to start? My colt will be 2 next Feb. So I need to start getting serious about this.

I am in the same boat. I've had a few recommendations. Tom Neel is one - he trains cutting and reining horses. Someone said he is good for beginning cutting riders. Kobie Woods is a top trainer in Stephenville. Lindy Burch is in Weatherford. Richard Johnson is in Decatur.

When are you looking to start? My colt will be 2 next Feb. So I need to start getting serious about this.

i've heard some good things about lindy burch and tom neel sounds pretty familiar but i've heard more about lindy burch so i would suggest calling them both and talking to them and then decide who you like best [big Grin]

i've heard some good things about lindy burch and tom neel sounds pretty familiar but i've heard more about lindy burch so i would suggest calling them both and talking to them and then decide who you like best [big Grin]

Lindy Burch is a past NCHA president and also has a saddle named after her. I've heard of Tom Neel, but no specifics. Okay, I'm looking on that list and holy cow (no pun intended) that's a bit daunting. I know of Darren Simpkins, believe he's Aussie; Phil Rapp, $$$$ enough said; Matt Gaines; Chubby Turner, he's famous. Those are the biggest shots, but there are others I'm sure have illustrious careers. Ask around locally, see what the low-down is on some of the more affordable trainers, see if their LTEs are high or not. I'd take an especially close look at their training methods, are they humane? That is the number one beef most people, myself included, have with the cutting horse industry. Another thing, if you're dead set on this, join the NCHA and start recieving the Cutting Horse Chatter, it's a great publication. Provides great insight into the cutting industry. Wish you luck.

Lindy Burch is a past NCHA president and also has a saddle named after her. I've heard of Tom Neel, but no specifics. Okay, I'm looking on that list and holy cow (no pun intended) that's a bit daunting. I know of Darren Simpkins, believe he's Aussie; Phil Rapp, $$$$ enough said; Matt Gaines; Chubby Turner, he's famous. Those are the biggest shots, but there are others I'm sure have illustrious careers. Ask around locally, see what the low-down is on some of the more affordable trainers, see if their LTEs are high or not. I'd take an especially close look at their training methods, are they humane? That is the number one beef most people, myself included, have with the cutting horse industry. Another thing, if you're dead set on this, join the NCHA and start recieving the Cutting Horse Chatter, it's a great publication. Provides great insight into the cutting industry. Wish you luck.

quote:

looked on the NCHA website and since weatherford is the cutting horse capital of the world..there is like a billion to choose from and I have no clue where to start! Any help would be appreciated!

Well, I think the biggest question is what do YOU want? to be a small fish in a big pond or a big fish in a small one. A lot has to do with how savvy you are in cutting and how good your horse really is. If your horse isn't really good, meaning the best breeding and proven show record of offspring, and you put it with one of the top of the top trainers, chances are you won't be getting the real potential out of your horse. On the other hand, you can have an awsome horse that has obscure breeding and put it with a trainer who is really driven and you can kick butt.

quote:

looked on the NCHA website and since weatherford is the cutting horse capital of the world..there is like a billion to choose from and I have no clue where to start! Any help would be appreciated!

Well, I think the biggest question is what do YOU want? to be a small fish in a big pond or a big fish in a small one. A lot has to do with how savvy you are in cutting and how good your horse really is. If your horse isn't really good, meaning the best breeding and proven show record of offspring, and you put it with one of the top of the top trainers, chances are you won't be getting the real potential out of your horse. On the other hand, you can have an awsome horse that has obscure breeding and put it with a trainer who is really driven and you can kick butt.

OMG!i soo forgot about chubby turner being down in that area [Duh] i definately say call him [big Grin] he is like AWESOME i've seen him show and i think i met him..but i seem to have short term memory loss and cant remeber [Embarrassed] but i have heard a TON of great things about him as well as saw them myself..and if i'm not mistaken he is pretty high up in the standings this year [big Grin]

OMG!i soo forgot about chubby turner being down in that area [Duh] i definately say call him [big Grin] he is like AWESOME i've seen him show and i think i met him..but i seem to have short term memory loss and cant remeber [Embarrassed] but i have heard a TON of great things about him as well as saw them myself..and if i'm not mistaken he is pretty high up in the standings this year [big Grin]

I just found this in the August Issue of Lone Star Horse Report...

Cleburne - Last Wednesdays - cutting horse lessons for beginners. Your horse or ours. Howard Walworth.

Pm if you want the phone number. I'm going to check it out.

I just found this in the August Issue of Lone Star Horse Report...

Cleburne - Last Wednesdays - cutting horse lessons for beginners. Your horse or ours. Howard Walworth.

Pm if you want the phone number. I'm going to check it out.

Thanks for all the help guys! :-D See the big issue for me is I need to find a trainer that has a horse I can learn on, which I know will be hard to find. The mare I own isnt registered and doesnt have the right build and stuff for cutting (I barrel race) but we cant afford a third horse right now, plus I want to make sure its something I enjoy before I got buy a cutting horse. So..if you happen to know of any trainers like that lemme kno! Thanks again everyone! :-D

Thanks for all the help guys! :-D See the big issue for me is I need to find a trainer that has a horse I can learn on, which I know will be hard to find. The mare I own isnt registered and doesnt have the right build and stuff for cutting (I barrel race) but we cant afford a third horse right now, plus I want to make sure its something I enjoy before I got buy a cutting horse. So..if you happen to know of any trainers like that lemme kno! Thanks again everyone! :-D