Sign in to follow this  
mandi more27

Reining & Respect?

[Confused] OK-here's the situation...I just got my first horse a couple months ago. He was used as a trail horse all his life. He was never ran, and has never been very "intricate" in manuevers etc. He's fast (that don't matter much) but I was wondering what reining training would do for him. Please help me! I'm lookin at my options for what to do with him-he may be able to do decent in reining(not big time or nothin-just local/fun etc.) and he'd make for a pretty good barrel horse. I appreciate ALL the help I can get. [big Grin]

[Confused] OK-here's the situation...I just got my first horse a couple months ago. He was used as a trail horse all his life. He was never ran, and has never been very "intricate" in manuevers etc. He's fast (that don't matter much) but I was wondering what reining training would do for him. Please help me! I'm lookin at my options for what to do with him-he may be able to do decent in reining(not big time or nothin-just local/fun etc.) and he'd make for a pretty good barrel horse. I appreciate ALL the help I can get. [big Grin]

Reining training if it's done right means that really, really good BASIC training is put on the horse before advancing the training onto reining maneuvers.

Good basic training or foundation training would be good for any horse.

good luck.

Susan

Reining training if it's done right means that really, really good BASIC training is put on the horse before advancing the training onto reining maneuvers.

Good basic training or foundation training would be good for any horse.

good luck.

Susan

I agree with Susan. Before you can move onto any kind of specific training be it reining, WP, barrels, poles, h/j, etc. your horse will need to know the basics and know them well.

I don't know how "soft" he is or how he responds to your leg, hand, and seat cues but start there. Just gradually get more advanced as he advances. Maybe (for example) start out just turning off your outside leg w/ some inside rein help...then move up to turning w/ just your outside leg..then move up to turning on your outside leg and bending around your inside leg etc. Keep moving up, if he's athletic and nimble on his feet he could do reining.

My mare does it, not all that wonderfully, but she tries and she likes it. Good luck!

I agree with Susan. Before you can move onto any kind of specific training be it reining, WP, barrels, poles, h/j, etc. your horse will need to know the basics and know them well.

I don't know how "soft" he is or how he responds to your leg, hand, and seat cues but start there. Just gradually get more advanced as he advances. Maybe (for example) start out just turning off your outside leg w/ some inside rein help...then move up to turning w/ just your outside leg..then move up to turning on your outside leg and bending around your inside leg etc. Keep moving up, if he's athletic and nimble on his feet he could do reining.

My mare does it, not all that wonderfully, but she tries and she likes it. Good luck!