Sign in to follow this  
PalominoChic7

YAY!!!!!!! I can almost ride bridle less!!!!!

haha, OK, just a random post. today when I was cooling my horse out, I decided I'd drop my reins and we'd try to weave in and out of cones using no reins, just seat and leg pressure. I never really worked on this before. Well, it went FANTASTIC! We only did it at a walk and we jogged up and down the rail a few times, but our brakes weren't the best jogging LOL. Now, I can't wait till the next time I ride so I can do it again, it was so fun, cuz you had to use the exact amount of pressure, or you turned to sharp and knocked the cone over, or my horse took off jogging.

Hopefully I can start working on our stops a little bit more so we can go bridleless soon. That's my goal, before the end of summer, ride bridleless, even if it is only at a walk and inside the round pen. *jumps up and down excitedly* [big Grin][big Grin][big Grin][big Grin]

haha, OK, just a random post. today when I was cooling my horse out, I decided I'd drop my reins and we'd try to weave in and out of cones using no reins, just seat and leg pressure. I never really worked on this before. Well, it went FANTASTIC! We only did it at a walk and we jogged up and down the rail a few times, but our brakes weren't the best jogging LOL. Now, I can't wait till the next time I ride so I can do it again, it was so fun, cuz you had to use the exact amount of pressure, or you turned to sharp and knocked the cone over, or my horse took off jogging.

Hopefully I can start working on our stops a little bit more so we can go bridleless soon. That's my goal, before the end of summer, ride bridleless, even if it is only at a walk and inside the round pen. *jumps up and down excitedly* [big Grin][big Grin][big Grin][big Grin]

I am teaching my gelding to neck rein, and he can do good at a walk. I had him saddled one day while working him in the round pen. I grabbed a short rope that I had hanging on the panel, put it around his neck and got on. I had no brakes, so I could only pray that he didn't buck or anything. He would stop, but as soon as I shifted my weight, he took off again. Good news: he knows how to turn. I told my dad about taking him bridaless (sp?) when he gets really good. I know I'll wait until we have been barrel racing for a good year and I know that he knows his job before I try competing bridaless. That is, if I can do that in rodeos. When I first started working with him, he knew nothing of neck reining, and I was told that it would take me a long time to teach him myself, whereas a trainer would take a month maybe. I got him in May, but I didn't really start riding and working with him til' June, and I was gone from June 21-July 10. He has done great.

I am teaching my gelding to neck rein, and he can do good at a walk. I had him saddled one day while working him in the round pen. I grabbed a short rope that I had hanging on the panel, put it around his neck and got on. I had no brakes, so I could only pray that he didn't buck or anything. He would stop, but as soon as I shifted my weight, he took off again. Good news: he knows how to turn. I told my dad about taking him bridaless (sp?) when he gets really good. I know I'll wait until we have been barrel racing for a good year and I know that he knows his job before I try competing bridaless. That is, if I can do that in rodeos. When I first started working with him, he knew nothing of neck reining, and I was told that it would take me a long time to teach him myself, whereas a trainer would take a month maybe. I got him in May, but I didn't really start riding and working with him til' June, and I was gone from June 21-July 10. He has done great.