Sign in to follow this  
topicofdiscussion_2000

Need help with cowboy hats!!

Okay, as some of you already may know, my background is mostly all english. The western bug bit me a couple of years ago. Now, I am showing at local shows and having a blast! However, I would like to invest in a cowboy hat instead of wearing my helmet for the showmanship part of it (I do like having a helmet in the riding classes because I know that bad things can happen even with nice horses). Anyway, I have no clue how to size them, what brim size I should have (I am a vertically challenged girl [Wink] with a round face, and what color to go with (my horse is dark bay/black, 16.1 hands, and my tack is med/dark oil with neutrally colored blanket. I wear a black and white shirt with black jeans.). Can anyone help me??

Thanks!! [Not Worthy]

Okay, as some of you already may know, my background is mostly all english. The western bug bit me a couple of years ago. Now, I am showing at local shows and having a blast! However, I would like to invest in a cowboy hat instead of wearing my helmet for the showmanship part of it (I do like having a helmet in the riding classes because I know that bad things can happen even with nice horses). Anyway, I have no clue how to size them, what brim size I should have (I am a vertically challenged girl [Wink] with a round face, and what color to go with (my horse is dark bay/black, 16.1 hands, and my tack is med/dark oil with neutrally colored blanket. I wear a black and white shirt with black jeans.). Can anyone help me??

Thanks!! [Not Worthy]

Well first is black the primary color to your outfit? How much are you whilling to spend. The hat is one of the most important part of your outfit, i am very very big on how the hats are shapped and the maker?

Well first is black the primary color to your outfit? How much are you whilling to spend. The hat is one of the most important part of your outfit, i am very very big on how the hats are shapped and the maker?

I say the best bett is to try it on first. Hats are made differnetly and I have learned that they all fitt differently. So try to try it on for the best fitt.

I say the best bett is to try it on first. Hats are made differnetly and I have learned that they all fitt differently. So try to try it on for the best fitt.

The good news is you can use a straw hat from Memorial Day to Labor Day! I've alwsys gone by what the judge wears. If he/ she is wearing straw then I will too.

If you are really really keen on a fur hat...the number of "X's" in the hat band will tell the the amount of fur in the hat...the more Xs the higher the price. You should be able to buy a VERY nice hat for that money. Some of the best are ML Leddy and of course Resistol and Stetson.

Go to a tack shop and try them on. The style or Crease of the hat needs to compliment your face and will also indicate what your specialization might be. There's the Bull Rider Pencil roll brim, Quarterhorse crease, etc, etc. You have to be happy with the color, the shape and most important...the fit... and how it looks on top of your face.

The good news is you can use a straw hat from Memorial Day to Labor Day! I've alwsys gone by what the judge wears. If he/ she is wearing straw then I will too.

If you are really really keen on a fur hat...the number of "X's" in the hat band will tell the the amount of fur in the hat...the more Xs the higher the price. You should be able to buy a VERY nice hat for that money. Some of the best are ML Leddy and of course Resistol and Stetson.

Go to a tack shop and try them on. The style or Crease of the hat needs to compliment your face and will also indicate what your specialization might be. There's the Bull Rider Pencil roll brim, Quarterhorse crease, etc, etc. You have to be happy with the color, the shape and most important...the fit... and how it looks on top of your face.

Here is my opinion. Straws dont belong on youths. Stick with the felt hats, if your colors are dark black and red, or black is your primary color get a black hat. If you have beige and purple, and etc go with beiege. If you have black and white you can go with a white hat. I dont get to pricey with my white hats, because they get sooo dirty and easily destroyed. My white hat is a 35x and my black is a 50x from sean ryan.

Here is my opinion. Straws dont belong on youths. Stick with the felt hats, if your colors are dark black and red, or black is your primary color get a black hat. If you have beige and purple, and etc go with beiege. If you have black and white you can go with a white hat. I dont get to pricey with my white hats, because they get sooo dirty and easily destroyed. My white hat is a 35x and my black is a 50x from sean ryan.

In your opinion, what is the most common color that women seem to pick for their hats? I like the white, but worry about keeping it clean. I do like the black, but I wonder if it is too much dark color going along with a dark horse... [Confused]

Beige-I never considered it before and it is something I would be willing to ponder.

In your opinion, what is the most common color that women seem to pick for their hats? I like the white, but worry about keeping it clean. I do like the black, but I wonder if it is too much dark color going along with a dark horse... [Confused]

Beige-I never considered it before and it is something I would be willing to ponder.

I am also going to get a new shirt...want to start getting into some more neutral colors because I feel like we have nothing but darkness going on.

I just saw a Stetson 4X Matador hat in the color Chocolate on the Shepler's website...what do you guys think?

[ 08-10-2005, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: TalkinOverTe ]

I am also going to get a new shirt...want to start getting into some more neutral colors because I feel like we have nothing but darkness going on.

I just saw a Stetson 4X Matador hat in the color Chocolate on the Shepler's website...what do you guys think?

[ 08-10-2005, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: TalkinOverTe ]

In my opinion if you are at small shows you can go to any western store and find a cheap hat. The store if at all helpful will let you know what brim and all. I would recommend a 4 in brim with a 4 inch crown. They are the most known. here is AZ they start at 75 and go up. I was in western retail for 4 years. Resistol and Stetson are good hats and the store can also size you to see what fits. I wear a 6 7/8 but the most commom size is 7 1/8 I have a small head.

In my opinion if you are at small shows you can go to any western store and find a cheap hat. The store if at all helpful will let you know what brim and all. I would recommend a 4 in brim with a 4 inch crown. They are the most known. here is AZ they start at 75 and go up. I was in western retail for 4 years. Resistol and Stetson are good hats and the store can also size you to see what fits. I wear a 6 7/8 but the most commom size is 7 1/8 I have a small head.