Sign in to follow this  
cowgirl_027

Saddle care for roughout leather??

Does anyone else have a saddle that is made out of roughout leather? I'm wondering how I can clean the leather/waterproof it without ruining the lightness of the leather. I have a roughout work saddle and also a barrel saddle that has roughout fenders. Just wondering what everyone else did or if roughout is just left as is.

Mine is roughout.

I went to the shoe section in WalMart and found a kit designed to clean and protect boots made of roughout-like material. (I can't remember the actual name)

There is a little bar that looks like an eraser that you rub on spots, then a little brush to brush the area, and also a spray bottle with a solution that leaves a waterproof protective layer. (Careful as it does darken the leather a little bit)

Hope that helps a little bit...

Hey thanks... that helps me as i have a Billy Cook barrel saddle with the roughout leather on the stirrups and the part under your leg ( can't think what it is called!)

i have always wondered how to clean it!...

I have a western saddle with roughout leather on the fenders and they slick up from riding. I will occasionally take some sandpaper (I use one that is not fine but close) and re-rough up the leather...

A lady on another board told me about it a couple of years ago.