Sign in to follow this  
equicrzy

Friesian Appaloosa cross....ever see one?

Well i am probably going to breed my morgan mare to one and get a cross. I have to say that baby has awesome movement and a very uniqe color i like it and I am not an appy fan. [big Grin]

I have a friend with a Friesian X Appy foal due on Valentine's day. In general, I prefer the Morgan or Warmblood crosses. I believe the body types are morel likely to compliment each other. In addition, most people are looking for a dressage horse out of Friesian crosses and you're more likely to get the desired body type and movement that way. However, it really depends on the mare. I've seen some very nice crosses on stock breeds - and some awful one's!!

I've seen more and more of this cross, since as long as the foal has even decent confo, people are often willing to pay big bucks for the Friesian look with color.

I can't view the video at the moment, but he does look cute. I'll bet they have no problem selling him with that color.

[ 11-29-2007, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: ExtraHannah ]

I saw one for sale once, had the stunning Friesian body, black, feathers, a stunning Appy blanket...and a nasty Appy rat tail!! It was odd. Beautiful horse until you got to the tail!

quote:

Originally posted by scapoose:

I saw one for sale once, had the stunning Friesian body, black, feathers, a stunning Appy blanket...and a nasty Appy rat tail!! It was odd. Beautiful horse until you got to the tail!

[ROTFL] Oh my gosh - how awful! [ROTFL] And it got feathers too?? The crosses almost never get feathers.

I was wondering about the tail myself, in other videos on the same site, the Friesian crosses have long, full tails...but this one seems a little lacking.

What a shame if it ends up with an Appy tail...no offense to Appy owners.

quote:

Originally posted by ExtraHannah:

quote:

Originally posted by scapoose:

[ROTFL]

Oh my gosh - how awful!
[ROTFL]
And it got feathers too?? The crosses almost never get feathers.

It's been a few years, but I want to say it had feathers! It looked just like a Friesian other than the blanket and the tail!

My mare, who is half Friesian, has feathers, not as much as a purebred, but they are there.

Thing is, when she gets into the mud, it balls up in the feathers, and when I remove them, it pulls the hair off too.

There are times when it looks like she is growing more feathers, starting far up on her cannons, then it disappears...odd.

No, they breed to sport horse style horses. Arabs, warmbloods, etc. He is Friesian and Dutch Warmblood I believe...

There are pictures of his get on the website. My brother wants one of his friesian fillies.

[ 11-29-2007, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: Hoodsey ]

That foal is kind of cute. I have to admit I love their Friesian-Saddlebred crosses [Embarrassed] . I really think that is a complementary cross. Nico is gorgeous!

Ahhhh Nico!

He lives just down the road from me! I had a NICE mare I was just dying to breed to him but she died before I never got a chance to own one of his LOVELY babies...I think he is "da' man" for a cross and sure stamps his babies nicely...

NICO it the best fresian cross i have ever seen.. was gonna breed my paint mare to him, but she developed navicular, so i didnt breed.. have you ever seen Nico Move!! it is dream in motion.. I like this colt, i am not an appy fan I adopted one a while back a leopard who had a very full mane and tail..but it is rare in blanketed.. i havent seen many leopards who didnt have a good tail!

So is this a Frappaloosa? LOL not to be confused with a Frappachino....

or a Appaliesian?

hehe sorry I just go struck funny by the word Frappaloosa lol

quote:

We have a local stallion named Thor that has been bred to quite a few.

I don't know how many are on his site, but I know years ago

I saw a stunning b/w leopard by him.

Yes they got 1 mare that had fantastic markings. Ever since they got her, they have been crossing friesians and apps together like mad.

It's SUCH a shame. They have a wonderful stud, and they are wasting him on crosses, when they could be using him to better the breed.

ETA- you can see a small picture of the mare at http://www.jokarsfriesians.com/sales.html

[ 11-29-2007, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: SkipJacksLady ]

Well, I think he is turning out to be darling, even though to me it looks like he will leopard out. I like the black on him. If I had that kind of money to blow, I would buy him.

I know a lady who has a red roan TWH mare with lots of sabino and her dream is to breed it to a Friesian. *YAKS* What is she thinking???????????

quote:

Originally posted by Lash Man and Al Girl:

Umm... What is a Georgian Grande?!
[Eek!]

A Georgian Grande is a Saddlebred/Drafft cross, or a Friesian/Saddlebred cross.

quote:

Originally posted by SkipJacksLady:

I checked out their sales page. Those crosses make me want to throw up.
[bang Head]

Are you talking about the web site I provided?

What is it about the crosses, makes you want to throw up?

I'm just curious as to your reasons.

quote:

Originally posted by equicrzy:

quote:

Originally posted by Lash Man and Al Girl:

Umm... What is a Georgian Grande?!
[Eek!]

A Georgian Grande is a Saddlebred/Drafft cross, or a Friesian/Saddlebred cross.

So basically, a crossbreed with a fancy name. Designer horses to go along with designer dogs.

I read on another board that within the original Freisan registry- stallion owners are NOT allowed to cross breed. They are trying to keep pure lines. The stallion would be kicked out of the registry.

And goergian grande is NOT a breed- it is a registry for people to get fancy papers for a cross bred horse. It is grandstanding and salesmanshp, an attempt to create a market. Crossbreeds AKA "grade" horses do not breed true to type. Just understanding mendalian genetics tell you that the features will be split in an unpredictable matter.

Like the tail. Crossing a a breed with HUGE mane and tail with a breed selected for scanty mane and tail. No consistant results. Arabs with quarter horses- either registry actively breeds for opposing characteristics. [Crazy]

For those of you saying ill or Yak or like OMG it's just another cross keep in mind that all those purebreds where crossed at one point to create a breed!! Humans are the ones that have created the breeds not the horses themselves so just because you may see an ugly grade horse cross just remember all horses where crossed at one point to make the master pieces you see today. [Wink]

Grand Design is one of the neatest looking apaloosa's I've ever seen. why is he neat looking? He actually has HAIR because his poppy was a Friesian [smile] Granted, not a ton of hair...but enough that he doesn't look like he needs to go on the hair transplant list [smile]

His sire is "Nanne", a stallion out of Minnesota, and I believe his dam had just a small blanket on her bum--so his coloring was *quite* a shock when he popped out [smile]

More pics of him

Now...I think he's a looker....but that's just me. and if he were mine...I don't think I'd use him as a stud...but again, that's not my decision to make.