Sign in to follow this  
Flying Stars

Diesels Post! New Pictures Pg 10-11

quote:

Originally posted by Flying Stars:

Is it ok If i keep you guys updated on his condition?

Everyweek or two even?

Please do! I'd love to see how he progresses.

And I ditto Confetti's comments about how you're handling this. [big Grin]

Confettie...

Diesels neck looks like an ewes neck (only worse than hers) but with more weight on him it should look close to normal!

Is it true that STB's are harder to keep weight on??

He is very easy to get along with..Don't throw a hissy fit about anything. So it is possible that he's just going along and not really telling me a thing that I can *clue* in to.

I will keep updates! Everyweek or so I'll bump this up to keep progress going! [big Grin]

I don't know how true it is that they're hard keepers but all the STB owners I have talked to said that at one point or another in their STB's lives they've had a hard time keeping the weight on.

If I remember correctly, STB's are essentially Morgan/TB crosses...I could, of course, be wrong. They often look like TBs but somehow I always can tell the diff. In fact, when I looked at your little guy I knew right away that he was a STB.

I don't think breed really matters, but various STBs seem to have trouble until you can find a GOOD solid feeding routine that suits them. Once we figured out how to feed Savannah, she held her weight pretty well. Of course, I can't remember what that was now.

Once I finally settle into a Good Feeding Reigime..(cant spell) Do you think it would be a good Idea to Continue on with it all through the summer? I just have a fear of Over Feeding him. And just set myself up for other problems.

I'm no expert, but if it's working for him I'd say stick with it a few months and see what it does for him. Obviously you don't want an overly obese horse, but if he's a hard keeper finding a good routine for him will be the best thing you ever did. If you need to, talk to a vet or a local horse expert and get a different opinion. I'll leave the real answer to the experts here but I know that with Savannah all it took was finding the perfect routine for her and she held her weight just fine. Good luck [smile] He's so cute...I wanna squish him [Crazy]

quote:

Confettie...

Is it true that STB's are harder to keep weight on??

Actually, STB's are one of the breeds that I've heard are harder to make look fat. I think it is the way their confo is. Kind of like a saddlebred, they always look long and lanky no matter what. I think he may end up being one of those horses you always have to throw a little more feed to than the others.

As far as your feed is concerned, I'd increase it or add alfalfa pellets/cubes to his diet. The protein in them will help him develop muscle and make him look more appealing. Good luck with him.

And by all means, if you ever have questions, just ask!

Thank you for your maturity handling the feedback, like someone said earlier not many people handle it as calmly as you have.

I would love weekly or bi-monthly updates to see how he progresses. [smile]

I agree with Running Free. You are handling the feedback very positively and that is very refreshing! I believe STB's are usually pretty hard keepers.

I had a good evening with him this evening! I put him on the lungline just let him walk. Back him up...Working on gettin him to move in any direction with minimal pressure! He did very well.. Fed him, and 3 hours later I went down he was still eating.. So I put another few flakes in front of him.

I will prob do an update every Month.. That way its easier to tell the progress made in that time. Whereas if it was every week.. may be harder to tell.

But I will still put a msg on here everyweek how he's doing..and if i have any questions!!

Halo does well with a saddle!! I think i know why i have the saddle problem [Frown] It is def for a wider backed horse. I put it on Diesel just to see.. I couldnt even get my hand underneath the cantle :-( I feel horrible!!!!! I told hubby I may need a new or diff saddle. He don't think that is a good idea.. I would love to buy another one lol. I may be looking into getting a thicker saddle pad.. But horses backs change over hte years especially while growing.

what types of saddle pads could i look into getting for him, IF i cannot get another saddle! Another option is bareback!! [Wink] I do have another saddle I am refinishing!! I will try it on him and see how it fits. OH.. The saddle i had used on him?? It dont pinch him it just sets down too low..If he packs some weight on..It may be better? Only Time will tell!! Anyhow.. time for some sleep!!!

Will update for sure everymonth!!! Or less.. [Roll Eyes]

I have a standardbred as well. I can attest to them being hard to keep weight on.

This is my guy. He eats more than twice as much as my other horses. But its the only way to keep him as beefy as this

-

~stars

You could also add corn or veggie oil to his feed as well. Small amounts at first, and can slowly build up to feeding a cup twice a day. Right now though, I would just start giving him more grain and see how that does.

He will look good once his weight is where it needs to be.

I would defiantly get a saddle that fits him or change saddle pads to get better fit. A saddle that doesn't fit will cause problems with his soundness and attitude.

[ 04-15-2008, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: Alleyway ]

I like that STB!! He looks really good!! I sure hope Diesel takes a growth spurt though!! :-)

I seen one advertised in a buy sell and trade. Fairly new only used a few times for like $200. Its not there now though. I have given him more tonight!! Brushed him out well..His hair grows in wierd patterns on his flanks and rump.

Its a lot of hard work to keep him looking like that. He drops weight easily and its hard to get him to gain it back.

I do dressage with him which really seems to help keep up that bulk muscle so he doesn't look so scrawny...

~stars

Uno mas!

Another thing you might look into for helping with weight and also get a kickstart on shedding that coat...Ground flax. Start him out with like 1/8th of a cup and work your way up slowly, too much too fast he may get diarhea...I think for flax we feed as much as one cup of it per day if we need that much, which is hardly ever...So normally 1/2 a cup a day for weight gain, and 1/4 a day if weight is good but want to get going on shedding the coat...

I see in the picture of your feed label there is a beet pulp bag in the background, will your boy eat beet pulp? A little lunch of a scoop or so of soaked BP each day probably wouldn't hurt him until he picks up weight

Lots of great replies here!

Yeah keeping weight on was like [Eek!][Mad] for us too. I desperately want another STB (best horse I ever owned) but I don't look forward to the feeding issues even though now I am more experienced.

Flying, update us as often as you want! Post pics, news, blurbs, w/e...we love hearing and seeing anything horsey ya know [smile]

I'd love to see some more pics of the boy myself...like more recent ones maybe [smile]

Good luck with the feeding and don't be worried about feeding him too much.

Oh, and about the saddle, wait until he's filled out a little before buying him another one. Granted, my STB's withers NEVER filled out and I needed a narrow saddle the entire time, but she was not as scrawny as your little one is (she was already well past 3 years old) so I'd wait until he's gained some weight.

If you want him to stay accustomed to the girth, get a bareback pad or a harness [smile]

I too, am very impressed with how you handle advice/comments.

He does look to have lost weight.. But if you boost the feed and calorie intake, he will start to pick back up. I wouldn't worry too much about overfeeding him. Every week increase his grain by 1/2 lb until you get him up to the amount on the bag. That should be gradual enough for him. That and if you are feeding grassy hay, as much as he will eat.

If you do that, the difference should be very noticeable in a few months. Being a possible hard keeper to begin with and growing will likely make him a bit difficult to put weight on.

I know how it goes. I have two that are incredibly hard keepers(one due to a disorder that prevents some nutrient absorption, and one due to other permanent complications). Both of them have potbellies currently because we figured out their feed requirements. Just have to tweek it until you find what works.

One of my old clients had a STB. Lovely guy, also a hard keeper. He looked quite similar to your guy when we first got him. Because he was going to be put into a work program we had him on Nutrena XTN http://www.nutrenaworld.com/Screens/BrandL...aspx?BrandID=90 and Empower http://www.nutrenaworld.com/Screens/Produc...x?ProductID=166. It really helped put and keep the weight on him, and we didn't have to give him a ton food to do so.

The feed you have him on right now is very low fat. It's not going to help him gain even if you increase it IMO.

Ok.. So 5 lbs of feed per day is only JUST to maintain the weight. (plus his normal amount of hay) Just to get it straight in my noggin here.

I will increase it 1/2 a pound a week. Work it up to 7lbs of feed per day. Is that ok? or should it be more. Also, That is only 7lbs per day.. Not every feeding right?

I'm trying not to confuse myself!! hehe!!

Anyhow!! Good news on my Gelding that I traded!!! Im so excited!! He had a big scar tissue on his right hind pastern> Some guy got that all fixed up! Made great comments on how well trained he was..said he was the fastest horse he's ever ridden! Said he can spin on a dime and wanted to know who trained him!! Im some glad that in my 5 years of owning him that all my hard work has paid off!! Where I am not into showing? He' is going to be showing this year!! Is that Incredible or wat! He said he turns fast...Lots of practing that I done with him! Anyhow! Will get more pics of Diesel soon!

I think you need to do a complete feed change, not add more feed. The feed he is on right now looks to be pretty poor quality. If you are feeding the horse poor quality low fat feed and you want him to gain weight you need him on a higher fat feed. You also may want to try a weight supplement. This horse is scarey skinny, working (aside from basic ground work) or riding this horse is not a good idea until he puts on a healthy amount of weight. You seem like you want to learn and care properly for the horse, which is a good thing! I would also reccomend having the vet run a blood panel on the horse to make sure there are no hidden conditions and see if you can have a nutrionist take a look at him. He's practically emancipated, one year is plenty of time to have that fixed.

quote:

Originally posted by Hibiscus:

First thing I noticed is that I don't think he is physically mature enough to carry a rider at this point in his life. He legs look extremely weak in the pasterns, and honestly I think he looks like a yearling. I would give him at least a few more months with more nutrition to fill out, grow into him self and get stronger before you introduce more weight. You can always wait and start him over later, but you can't reverse damage that has been done to his body later on in life when he starts to break down.

That being said, I definitely agree with Felda. He shouldn't be in that bit at this stage of his training. A loosering, eggbutt, or dee ring smooth mouth snaffle (that is a curb even is it has the broken mouthpiece) at the very most. It would probably be best to start him in a sidepull or a bosal. Remember the first few rides on a horse it is crucial to make him as comfortable as possible and have things as easy to understand as possible. The bit you have in him is good for a finished horse. Basically, its like trying to teach a first grader Calculus.

Also, I noticed that your saddle doesn't fit him correctly. The pommel is sitting right on his withers which is probably causing him some pain, or at the very least, it is causing him to be uncomfortable.

I like the Paint. You could start to put a few light rides on her as she seems pretty sturdy for her age, but I would definitely stop riding the little gelding until he grows into himself a little more. Good luck!

Ditto! There cuties! [big Grin]

As to a suggestion on the feed. Might add some Nutrena Youth(pelleted feed) to it. I had alot of success with that and corn oil to give the skinny ones until they got back to normal weight. Anyone else know of any good ones?

I tend not to have much of a selection where I'm at. I end up with a mix of alfalfa pellets/Nutrena Youth/Soybean meal/Rice Bran/vitamins/beat pulp. plus a few other supplements squirreled away in it.

I also put my growing guy on a complete vitamin supplement(also comes pelleted, we get it in a 75lb bag for $50 and it lasts over a month between all 4 horses.)

As for the corn oil though, anyone have suggestions for substitutes? I don't know what prices are like down there, but since ethanol, they are sky HIGH here. Flax seed would be an option, but I've never fed that, all I know is that it needs to be ground. Suggestions on how much?

That being said, you couldn't go wrong with giving him as much hay as he'll eat. Contrary to popular belief, most horses will not overeat on hay. (grain yes, but not hay). And with both of them growing, I wouldn't worry too much about feeding free choice. They will eat like pigs for a few days, but then settle down and start "grazing" at the hay. As long as it's in a nice dry area, just throw some out there whenever it gets looking like they are close to cleaning up.

quote:

I like the Paint. You could start to put a few light rides on her as she seems pretty sturdy for her age, but I would definitely stop riding the little gelding until he grows into himself a little more. Good luck!

I agreed with everything you said, up to this point. The paint is only 19 months, although she looks more mature than the "2 year old", whom looks more like a yearling.

Neither should be ridden yet. At all. By anybody of any size.

quote:

Is it ok If i keep you guys updated on his condition?

Everyweek or two even?

As often as you like, daily if that helps. I'm liking that you are open to suggestions, (although I don't agree with the ones that say ride the paint, if she's only 19 months old.)

Kudos to all of you and especially Flying Stars. [Not Worthy]

Keep us updated FS, we'd like to see progress pictures of Diesel getting bigger, stronger and fatter. [Huggy]

quote:

Originally posted by dodgershuman:

Flax seed would be an option, but I've never fed that, all I know is that it needs to be ground. Suggestions on how much?

Was already said.

You have gotten some great advice here. And the way you have handled everything is awesome.

Hey Dodger- I feed flax seed and I don't ground it. Horses eat it up just fine, and they look awesome. I started feeding it for Joe's sweet itch and it has cured it, completely!

As long as these horses are being fed just greass hay, I would keep hay in front of him at all time also. Can you start also adding corn oil? Slowly.

Halo is 20months This month. Had Diesel out for an hours walk today. He did enjoy it its good for him...And he is really starting to shed out!! His ground work is really good!! I assume walking is just as good for him as it is for me [Crazy]

Flax Seed, Where can I get it.

Feed with more fat content. I will look into getting it as soon as I can I looked at the lable? and its only like 3% fat content. Just for curiosity? I looked at the lable of the sweet feed that I had? and it has 3.5% fat.

As for minerals, I do give them Mineral blocks..lol. they dont last long.

Hay, I give them as much as I can without them wasting it.

I get my feed from Shur Gain. I'll get the # and give them a call and see what I can get.. Right now I do not know of any places where I can get Bags of Pelleted feed..or Youth(something) I can get it in the US, but we are not allowed to bring dog food over...dont know if that goes for Horse feed either. I will check it out.. because i have seen that stuff over there!

Halo does look more mature than Diesel for sure.

For those who worry bout me riding alot.. I do not plan to do hardly any riding on either till next summer :-). But I will for sure get on her for a few mins or so this Fall.. IF everything goes smoothly with her groundwork. That way she has an idea of wat its like to have someone on her back. Im going to have to get some pics soon!!!! maybe tonight before i go to work [big Grin]

I get my flax at the feed store, comes in 50lb bags.

The price really went up though!! But, it is worth it!

quote:

Originally posted by DraftHorse:

quote:

I agreed with everything you said, up to this point. The paint is only 19 months, although she looks more mature than the "2 year old", whom looks more like a yearling.

Neither should be ridden yet. At all. By anybody of any size.

Oops, for some reason, I mistook the age for 2 years. Sorry about that.

LoL. shes very mature for her age though isnt she...I am getting a phone call tonight ot see for sure who her Sire and Dam is! YAAY