Sign in to follow this  
Flying Stars

Diesels Post! New Pictures Pg 10-11

quote:

Originally posted by Colspal:

You have gotten some great advice here. And the way you have handled everything is awesome.

Hey Dodger- I feed flax seed and I don't ground it. Horses eat it up just fine, and they look awesome. I started feeding it for Joe's sweet itch and it has cured it, completely!

As long as these horses are being fed just greass hay, I would keep hay in front of him at all time also. Can you start also adding corn oil? Slowly.

Ah ok. I was told it would have to be ground. That and my feed store doesn't carry it(wish they did), they didn't know what it was. The only place I've been able to find it is the natural food isle at safeway.

Been wanting to try it for awhile though for that 3yo of mine, how much of it do you feed, cols?

And to OP: you are likely going to have to supplement to get more fats in his diet besides putting him on better grain, that's one thing the corn oil is for. Start him out on about 1/2cup a day. Then the next week increase to 3/4 cup. and so on.

If you find he doesn't like the oil(which is rare, but I have one horse that does not), you might try soaking the grain for a few hours with hot water then adding the oil and stirring it up into a mash.

Hey Dodger- Tell your mom Hello for me!!

I started Joe and Chance at about a quarter of a cup. I slowly, about 2 weeks, built them up to a full cup., well, actually Chance only gets 3/4 of a cup. Joe weighs about 1150 and Chance is only about 950.

A lot of people say that it should be ground up. It goes rancid pretty quickly if you do that. I had also heard of people feeding it whole, so I started feeding it whole and within about 2 weeks, Joe's sweetitch was completely gone. The thing is, I only feed it from March until about September or when the 50lb bag has run out. I don't know WHY I don't feed it during the winter, I had originally just started feeding it for the sweetitch and it worked wonders!!

quote:

Originally posted by Colspal:

Hey Dodger- Tell your mom Hello for me!!

I started Joe and Chance at about a quarter of a cup. I slowly, about 2 weeks, built them up to a full cup., well, actually Chance only gets 3/4 of a cup. Joe weighs about 1150 and Chance is only about 950.

A lot of people say that it should be ground up. It goes rancid pretty quickly if you do that. I had also heard of people feeding it whole, so I started feeding it whole and within about 2 weeks, Joe's sweetitch was completely gone. The thing is, I only feed it from March until about September or when the 50lb bag has run out. I don't know WHY I don't feed it during the winter, I had originally just started feeding it for the sweetitch and it worked wonders!!

She said Hi Back! we had so much fun meeting you all when we were there! Wish we had had the time to all go riding. [smiley Wavey]

Thanks, it really hard to find here. Went up the natural food isle and low and behold there is a 10lb bag of it for someone to eat a weird breakfast cereal. I would definitely like to try that for the coat on my 3yo. Since he was sick, it came in uneven, vet said it may never look normal. Probably still part of the way he metabolizes things. I'll try it and see if it helps him out [big Grin]

-

-

I took these two yesterday! First one I was just asking him to back. JUst practicing squaring up! was really impressed I asked him to Whoa a couple times. His feet went automatically to the square position!

He is SUCH a skinny minnie! Is there anyways you could put him on 24/7 hay access?? I think that would make SUCH a difference! My guy looked about like that when I got him as well.

Poor boy has NO topline/muscling up there. Taking him for those walks will surely help start building up those muscles.

~stars

He sure is a little thing. I'm going to ditto again, 24/7 hay. And the hand-walks. Good to help him build a bit of muscle. Good pics from the side. Can really see where he's at as far as muscle/fat/put together.

Definitely start loading him with calories and see where the weight goes. I suspect he'll start picking right up though.

Poor guy [Frown] He looks very very unhealthy. I think he needs a new diet ASAP.

[ 04-18-2008, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: tvp ]

I totally agree, he has no topline watsoever! I have a pic somewhere that shows on his back..where there was No fat on his back and his backbone was really showing? Now I can feel the difference when Im grooming him and checking to see where his Weight is going!

24/7..Not untill the ground hardens up.. then I can fence off an area to put him out. Snow is almost gone in the pasture!! YAAY.

I have been taking him for those walks..I can feel the difference when I run my hands over his rump and chest..its not quite so bony!

So its long walks..and I do feed him extra always before I leave the barn. I am not able to take him out for a walk today..Because I am going to be working.

He is Improving for sure!! I will post another few pics next week on Wed or Friday [big Grin]

Im enjoying seeing the Improvements in each week.. I cannot see them per say? But I can feel it... Boy does he love the attention?

Unhealthy?? Not really he is healthy...but needs more Muscling and MORE fat...I should give him some of mine!! [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by Flying Stars:

Unhealthy?? Not really he is healthy...but needs more Muscling and MORE fat...I should give him some of mine!!
[big Grin]

I know I'm a johnny-come-lately and you are gettig PLENTY of good advice but yes, he does look very unhealthy. He has a poor coat, no shine in his eyes and he's more than just a little thin.

Good luck bringing him to good health. I know you are trying hard.

I agree...while being a real cutie, he just doesn't have that "spark in his eye" kind of look yet. You'll get there.

I would look into either Nutrena youth...since he is a larger breed horse and could be hitting some weird growth spurts and needs help keeping up with them...OR Nutrena Senior. Senior feed has a LOT of fat cause usually that is where Seniors are lacking. WHen we got our little gelding right off the ranch a couple months ago, he was pretty bony. We put him on senior and in a couple weeks he had more energy, was more willing to move out under saddle and just fattened up a little.

When we first brought him home

-

-

After a good couple of weeks on Senior...oh, AND alfalfa.

-

-

I'd probably try the Senior route and maybe supplement some oil to it for even more fat. I wouldn't worry as much about muscle right now as I would about getting fat on him so he has ENERGY to build muscle.

And I agree with others...as much hay as you can possibly pump into him. I'd rather have him have all he wants and waste a little than have him standing around not having anything to eat for a period of time. Maybe check into those alfalfa cubes o give him once or twice a day with grain. [Confused]

Have you change anything with his diet yet other than just feeding him more of what you have? Just curious. Those pictures you just posted will be a good point of reference to work from. [Wink]

[ 04-20-2008, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: lopenslow28 ]

Its ok to feed him the Senior feed? I am calling Shur Gain tomorrow. To check out what they have got.

I havent introdueced anything new as of yet? I have added corn oil to his feed right now. Those are good pics to go by.. (He has alot of dandruff as well) and super long hair..Longer than halo's

Just lots of walking..and brushing and upping the feed. He was feeling really good today [big Grin]

I have a good schedual for work wich allows me to have lots of time with them this week yaay!!

Thanks for being so patient and kind to me [Huggy] I am really trying... Oh.. I checked out my supply of hay..and I have lots..so there is only a month and a half till they can be out 24/7 [Jump] . So I have been giving him pleanty.

Halo's jealous... Everytime I take Diesel out for a walk..She Squeals like a pig literally! Anyhow..have to work in the morning!! Hope everyone had a good weekend!

Thank YOU for being so kind to US!

I am just in shock at how well and how willingly you're taking the advice. You even keep posting pictures, knowing that your boy doesn't look great. That takes gut and humility. Kudos.

Sorry, I just had to say it again.

He's so cute!!

quote:

Originally posted by Flying Stars:

Its ok to feed him the Senior feed? I am calling Shur Gain tomorrow. To check out what they have got.

Yes, it's definitely okay, and he looks like he'd benefit from it. And lunch wouldn't hurt.

Ok I got ahold of Shur Gain today..

Equine Fat & Fiber its called.. It is 8.5% fat and like 20 some % fiber. Guy told me to feed him 2.2 pounds of it per day! I should feed more than that? 14.99 per 45lbs. Which isnt bad.

Because it being so high in fat.. I prob shouldnt feed him 7lbs of that per day yet..Right?

Plus, I can get a 50lb bag of Alpha cubes for 16.99.

So, With Unlimited hay.. Plus what i meantioned above. Im waiting till that Fat n Fiber gets here...I still have the lower fat stuff. But I can hardly wait to get my hands on the other stuff! Going to work with him today!! Its a beautiful day out!

[big Grin]

I worked with Halo yesterday. Gettin her to know the basics of lunging. Cuts in a bit too much for my liking. So we will work on that! Diesel too.. allthough he has it pretty good!

Well. If you can't find flax, or looking for a cheaper alternative, you can try Black Oil Sunflower seeds. They are rich in fatty acids and oils that will really help put on a bit of weight, and will perk up that coat and give him a good shine. I've used it for years and I always get compliments on my horses hair coats.

~stars

I've been following the post and I would like to say kuddos to everyone. [Huggy]

Also, I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this but don't switch feeds in one feeding. Make sure you switch it gradually (sp?). If you switch from one to the other in one feeding you could really mess up his stomach.

Looking forward to seeing more pics of them both.

[ 04-23-2008, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: Acesgetngood ]

I started the Fat n Fiber today..Just abit with his normal food that I was feeding.. Dont want to give it to him too fast.. Another Question!!

I also have Alpha Cubes?? How much of that should I add to his diet!!

He's got alot more energy this past week and a half [big Grin] For some reason whenever he hears my voice he's calling out!! That makes me feel good!

They both doing good... Going to take pics first of next week!! Dont know if you will be able to see a difference or not.

Oh.. I did add some Vegi Oil to his diet..( couldnt find Corn Oil ? )

I tend to buy whatever oil is on sale, but be warned, cooking oil prices have gone through the roof.

I previously did some research, and some oils are higher in potassium than others (corn oil comes to mind right away) so if HYPP is a factor (not in your case, I'm just putting that out there) stay away from that.

I'm not familiar with the brand Alpha Cubes, so can't help you out there.

Just remember to start him slow, and he's not a big boy, so he doesn't need a huge amount of the oil.

Good work.

[ 04-24-2008, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: DraftHorse ]

It may take some time. You may see some immediate results, but it may take weeks/months to get the full effect.

~stars

I understand that it will take a while. But in different areas I can feel and see abit..where he is filling out.. His hip bones do not stick out so far you could hang a hat on them!

He loves the Fat n Fiber... It has a Apple/Cinnamon flavor to them.

Looking forward to seeing his progress. My STB is the same color as yours and sheds out almost black in the summer. The funny thing is mine is such an easy keeper! Only 12-15 lbs of grass hay a day, no pasture, no grain, and he is still chunky!

your lucky! Mine is such a hard keeper! Most that I have seen are too. I think I only have 1 easy keeper on my property right now. Its a PITA!

~stars

I hope after he is done growing that..He is able to keep his weight on easier.. We did have a really cold winter here though. Still.... I took him out for a walk this morning..Worked on giving to pressure...left to right..and backing.. and Stopping Square...He's really getting it!! He really has a big spring in his step.

Took Halo out this morning too! She was a good girl... really getting after her to whoa! After 15 mins she was stopping readily.. Take her about 6 strides and ask her to whoa.. and then proceeded to get her to Square up. Can get it on the Second time! Diesel is pretty much stopping square today. If he's not? He usually moves on his own to stand square.

I know that prob don't seem like a big accomplishent.. But it will be easier for me to mount..Without him spraddled all over kingdom come [big Grin] I have monday and tuesday off.. So Pics should be on here by Tuesday!!

wonderful post. i love how thorough you are in your training. it will pay off later!

Diesel is a cutie, and when his weight pick up, i am sure he will be even cutier!!! (i misspelled on purpose, no need to correct [Wink] )

i have no real advice, since my iceys get fat from looking at green grass through the barn door, but i will definately follow tis post just for the wonderful updates you post. and i wouldnt miss Diesels development for the world!!!

I too must comment on how mature you took the comments and advice. I know that sometimes they way words are read may seem harsh, but I can tell you that the people here mean it to benefit you and your "kids". [big Grin] I've seen topics go horribly wrong and either get locked or the OP deletes them. I too thought that Diesel looked small for his guessed age to be ridden. I have learned about the value of ground driving through here! I have a 6/7 year mare who I have started ground driving in subitited of riding just yet. And no, you aren't blind, I think he picked up a few pounds in the recent picture. [smile] Have fun with your horses and I look forward to the updates!

-

-

Notice he is standing more squre than the first photos on Pg. 6 Especially in the front end. His hind feet are closer.

Ok.. Here is the big girl! Love this look on her face... Mischief is as mischief does..lol She nipped at Diesel right after I took that picture.

-

Two of them together now! Diesel is loosing his hair in patches you can see on his right side! I love this picture!

-

Anyhow.. This is week two. In another two weeks I will post some more pics! Caleb Hand Trotted him today..My short lil legs cannot keep up with Diesel's strides.

Tell me how things are looking!! Anybetter from the first pics I posted of him? Does he look more alive? [Question]

[ 04-28-2008, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: Flying Stars ]