Sign in to follow this  
Flying Stars

Diesels Post! New Pictures Pg 10-11

quote:

Originally posted by Flying Stars:

Grrr... Why did i get a standeredbred in the first place..lol

He still does not know where to place his legs especially if him and halo are out fooling around in the field.

Ok.. are Standerdbreds conformationly challenged??

Yeah.. if he's clutzy in the field, you KNOW he's going to be clutzy with a rider. Some of that will actually get better when your farrier gets him balanced in the feet though.

I don't really know much about Standerdbreds honestly but the ones I've seen reminde me of a cross between a TB and a QH. So.. no, I don't consider them comformationaly challenged as a breed.

I have to go back to work now... I promise to do your filly next week if that's ok with you. I'm going to be out of town this weekend.

I have much more good things to say about your filly. You'll be happier. [Wink]

Thank you MRS!

I am not mad at all..But Even I can see now the differences in the two horses!

Its all good that I know that about Diesel!! You were not in the bit harsh!

Have a good evening at work!

Yup..You can do her next week!

This is a Video you can watch when you have time!

[ 06-13-2008, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: Flying Stars ]

quote:

This is a Video you can watch when you have time!

Your filly sure runs circles around him doesn't she. He looks... "off" or something in the front end in those. I can't really tell what the deal is... I'll watch it a couple times and see what I can see.

I was just catching up on this post and a couple things came to mind. Look at the last picture you posted of Diesel walking. This pictures shows what Mrs is talking about when she mentions good shoulder angle but short loin. When he is walking, his stride in the front is MUCH larger than his stride behind. He is really reaching out in the front but he doesn't have that reach in the back end.

I agree with what most of Mrs said except on thing. I DON'T think he has a ewe neck. I think what he has is an underdeveloped neck, muscle wise and teaching him to flex vertically will help build up those muscles but I have seen horses with TRUE ewe necks and this horse is not it. [Wink]

Here is a bad ewe neck...

http://caringforyourhorse.wordpress.com/20...s-the-ewe-neck/

I also don't think he is that pig eyed. Here is a site that shows lots of the conformation faults Mrs talked about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_conformation

I'd love to see other standardbreds his age and what they are supposed to look like cause I haven't done much research on them! [Wink]

-

His eyes.. I thought he had a fair, kind eye..

-

For his stride..allso..I dont see too much Roman Nostrils in him..lol

Yes he is short strided in the back and long in the front. I do think im going to have to be putting bell boots on him in the front when I ever do ride him much. His hind legs reach up and is nicking himself on the front heels.

I'd love everyones input on here. Allthough he may not be conformationaly correct. I'd love for him to be a solid trained horse. Whom I could put a kid on

Well, there's no reason he CAN'T be a solid trained horse that a kid couldn't get on. [Wink] Can you go cut on him or jump? Probably not without chancing hurting himself. He'll probably never do a reining stop, but not a whole lot of horses NEED to do a reining stop. I think he'll end up being a GREAT horse for you and will suit your needs just fine.

He JUST turned 3 so I think he WILL grow more and fill out. Don't different breeds grow at different rates? This isn't your stocky quarter horse. He is a large breed horse and I'm SURE will keep growing and filling out. Just make sure he's got all the necessetites to feed his growing body! [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by lopenslow28:

Here is a bad ewe neck...

Huh... see... I think the horse in that picture has a bigger problem with straight shoulders than ewe neck. But I do agree that Diesel has an underdeveloped neck.

quote:

I also don't think he is that pig eyed. Here is a site that shows lots of the conformation faults Mrs talked about.

These things are definately up for interpretation. I consider pig eyes small narrow eyes set more to the side of a horses head. I believe Diesels eyes are small and set to the side... although not that bad. [Wink]

Flying Stars,

I do say he's roman nosed (not nostrilled!) though. His face isn't flat. His eyes are not located on the front of his head. Portions of his face actually block his view. There the nasal bone protrudes between the eyes. Again, not that bad... I've seen much worse.

And these things (except the ewe neck) are cosmetic. Not really going to affect him too much except maybe for his field of vision.

I see his faults more now! Which isnt a bad thing! No im not going ot be jumping him or doing anything competitive at all. Kids horse? You want to bet im going to be trying my best to make him the best childs or beginners horse.

Now Halo..LoL. Mrs..Yes she sure can run circles around poor ole Diesel! hehe..I pity the guy really I do.

Halo is the fastest lil filly I've seen in these areas..or where I grew up.

I love watching her! And Diesel..well he's jus gonna be Diesel!.. That headshot.. I can see where he is slightly roman nosed..and his eyes should be more towrds the front of his face.

I'd pick up another horse like him any day though! [big Grin]

quote:

Yes he is short strided in the back and long in the front. I do think im going to have to be putting bell boots on him in the front when I ever do ride him much. His hind legs reach up and is nicking himself on the front heels.

See... goes to show you what I know... I would have never guessed he would be over reaching.

eta: I'd love to see pics of him when you got him.

[ 06-13-2008, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: mrs ]

Mrs. He only over reaches when he's trotting.. Never does it at a walk..I've been looking at him in the video watching to see what im missing..

Your right though!! He is short strided when he's walking on the hind end.

Im trying to find a pic for yous...grrr [Crazy]

-

Here is when I got him. Had a huge belly full of worms!! His hair was unusually long.. It was long this year..but not as long as it was there.

He dont try to knock me over like he was there. Bargin in front of me... sorry I look like a wreck.

What I'm most happy about is that you LOVE this horse and he's got a good chance at a great life. The more training you put into him the better he'll be. If he remains as quiet as you say he is, he will be worth his weight in gold when he's broke and baby sitting little kids.

Hey there!! Yes I am around!! Just working like a chicken with its head cut off..hehhe Anyhow here are some more pics! Two of Halo and 1 of Diesel. He had a slight accident. He did not want to stay inside a Fence with lots of grass..He missed halo so he tried to jump a portion of the fence and he DID get over but not before leaving skin behind [Frown] So here he is. I may give him another two months and then I am going to get on him and start refreshing lil things..bareback till I see how his back changes . Plus it will be good exercise for

me.YAAY.

When he jumped his confinemets..He came Trotting up the road..dint gallop to meet Halo..Just looked like a harness racer jus trotting up the side of the road. Head High..called out to her.. He came In my driveway and up the pavement and stood by Halo and I . He was some happy to see her.LoL

-

And Here is Halo my big baby!! She is doing very well. She had this barginess whenever you were leading her. She walks now like a perfect angel. And Whoas as soon as it comes out your mouth.

-

Her butt.

-

Enjoy!! :-)

SO much better!! They are really coming along well!!

And, I am sorry, but can you pplllleeeeaaassseee take their halters off? I have seen/heard of horses getting hung up, breaking their necks, legs, strangling themselves. I would hate to hear about it happening to your horses.

Hugs

Cols

Cols! I have their Halters off now. I just left their halters on that night because If they got out again then I would have somehting that I could grab them by.

So They are off now!! :-) They are quite content..lol.. As long as they have each other they are the best.. Seperate them? Watch out..lol

[Huggy] I am going down today to put flyspray on them ..I will take more pics :-)

Taking halters off when out in pasture is a personal preferece. Some people do, some people don't.

~stars

eta: FS- you are doing a fantastic job with your babies. Keep it up!

[ 07-02-2008, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: Stars_Morab ]

Diesel looks tons better. I think you've turned the corner. The scrapes don't look to bad in the pictures. A little salve on them will help keep the bugs off.

If you choose to leave the halters on them when they are turned loose (I know, you were doing it for saftey), please make sure they are adjusted better. You need to tighten the strap that goes over their head quite a bit. They shouldn't be so loose around the nose. If you have the halter adjusted correctly there will be less chance of a horse accidentally sticking his/her foot through it when they are grazing. I will sometimes leave a halter on one horse in the group if I'm putting them in a new area (suprevised)...just in case. But once they are settled in, I take it off.

If you choose to do turn-out with a halter, you should really have a leather halter or a break-away halter.

quote:

Originally posted by Stars_Morab:

Taking halters off when out in pasture is a personal preferece. Some people do, some people don't.

~stars

eta: FS- you are doing a fantastic job with your babies. Keep it up!

And sometimes people just don't know any better either. Like mrs had said, if they do need their halters on, to be sure that they are adjusted correctly, and to make sure that they are some sort of a breakaway.

A man I used to work for, has some nniiccceeee bred cutting horses. He had a 3 year old filly that he had sold for a very large sum of money. The people were coming down from NE to pick her up. He had brought her in and left her halter on her overnight. Went out early the next morning to feed, filly is laying there dead. Got her foot caught in the halter, and the halter DID actually fit her very well, but she somehow strangled herself, and broke her leg. It was horrible! And, he even knew better but didn't really even think about it. He will never forget now, because of the horrible trafic accident that happened to one of the horses that he had raised and had sold. He was out the horse and the people were out the horse as well.

It just scares me, that's all!

Cols

I know the scary feeling. I worked at a stable and a young colt got his hoof up to the knee into his halter. In the event of things, he ended up with a broken leg.

I only use halters now if I am taking them over to the house, or to work with them. I find also if they rub there heads on stuff.they sometimes rub the hair right off them.

I went to rub fly spray on diesel tonight..well I dint move my hand in time and he smucked my hand with his hoof.. Talk about hurt. He was getting a fly..lil did he know it was me lol.

On the open sores. I put Udder(something) that they put on cows teats to keep them soft till they heal? That is what I am putting on it. It worked wonders on Smokey when he had a cut. It even makes the hair grow back!

I did Not realize that Diesel could grow so fast!! He is so much taller than halo now.

Oh I wanted you to look at something. Halo's coloring. She is starting to fade out like an appy's color..getting white flecks in her solid brown spots!

I can hardly wait till she grows up to be a big horse. She is so responisive~!!

So, Now that I am thinking of the winter allready. How long (if kept dry) Will Beat Pulp keep If I buy it ahead of time!.

I'm not sure about the beet pulp, I guess if it's kept cool and dry it should last a month or two? [Confused] Maybe longer?

I think they are looking SO much better. I bet you are really proud, if not you should be. I hope the cuts heal up nicely for you and keep up the good work.