Sign in to follow this  
Flying Stars

Diesels Post! New Pictures Pg 10-11

Oh, wow, does he ever look AWESOME! I was wondering if it was the same horse! WOW! Just great! I'd give him a few more months, feel it out a bit, definitely keep working with him on the ground, and even some backing, so that he doesn't forget (not that horses really forget stuff anyway)...

You're doing great!

As for the halters, I think it is a personal preference. We leave a halter (break free) on our blind mare during the day because often she'll get lost in the pasture and we'll have to go out and lead her back to the horses. Of course we watch her as well as make sure there isn't anything the halter could get stuck on. It is definitely a safety issue...so keep them off if you can [smile]

Good Morning!!

Confetties Mom.

You think he looks like a diff horse? I Agree with you there. His Hindend has really filled out! Finally!!!

I've been working with both of them on the ground. I've aslo been doing alot of backing, and backing him in circles as well on the ground. I have noticed his neck muscles are really getting noticible. I will see if Caleb will hold him today so I can get some good side on pics!

Well part of it is that his fuzzies are gone but no, it's all the weight and muscle and just growing up! He's still cute of course [big Grin] Just looking really healthy! [Jump]

Last month at the monthly horse sale that I go to, there was this poor horse that was just in absolute horrible condition. Poor thing, made your horse look over weight when you first started posting pictures of him!! THis poor thing, the owners had left the halter on him for who knows how long, but it had literally grown into the horses face. He had bad sores, sores that I had never seen so bad before, that were so deep on his face. I felt so bad for him.

Cols

That would make me mad if I ever found a horse with a halter pretty much attatched to its face.

I can promise you that I am not like that person..

quote:

Originally posted by Flying Stars:

That would make me mad if I ever found a horse with a halter pretty much attatched to its face.

I can promise you that I am not like that person..

Oh my gosh! Please don't think that I was even comparing you to that person!! NOT AT ALL!!! [Huggy]

You are doing everything you can to get Diesel looking and feeling better, I am in NO WAY trying to criticize (sp?)you!!

I just wasn't sure if you had known the dangers of leaving the halters on. Some people do and some don't.

I felt very, very bad for this poor horse that I was talking about before and I jsut hope that some kind soul was able to take him and either humanely put him out of his misery or rehab him back. Just a very, very sad thing for me to see, and it bothers me SO much to see an animal suffer. That is why for one, I am very angry about the slaughter houses being shut down here in the states. We are seeing more and more neglect cases like the one that I spoke about.

I LOVE seeing you post pics of your horses' progress, please keep doing it!!

Hugs!

Cols

Hehe.. No worries..I just wanted to reassure everyone that Im not that type of person..lol

I can feel the pain of the horse who had the halter on its head! Can you imagin how painful it would be for that halter to come off!! [Eek!]

I will keep ya's updated!!!

Hugs to Cols [Huggy]

I wouldn't think anyone here would even think that about you!!!

I couldn't imagine what it would feel like. They were some pretty big and deep sores on that pore horses head!

Hugs back at ya!

Cols

-

-

-

She was scratching her chin on his withers..lol

-

Diesel getting an itchy spot

-

Here we goo!! Enjoy!! Also..same day I took these pics..I got on him bareback and with just a cotten reins around his neck!! We just worked on Mooving away from my legs and Whoa!!!! LoL [big Grin]

-

I can never get any good head shots of him

See those bare spots?? He has a habit of chewing..till he gets down to the nails..and rubs his head on them..lol..I doubt the hair will grow back now.

U can all post now :-)

I think he looks better, but he's still thin. I wouldn't ride him much yet.

Maybe he's fine to be ridden. But if he were my horse I wouldn't ride yet. You can do ground work and maybe pony him to build up his muscles, but to me he just looks too thin yet for much riding.

He does look better though.

Boy he is gaining VERY slowly! I would expect him to look much better by now, but there has only been a small bit of progress total. He is still a good 150 lbs under at least! I would be getting the vet back out for a good dental exam with sedation and an oral speculum, a full blood work up, and fecal test. Seems something isnt right there.

He was looking good for a while, then lost some it seems.

I would put him with free choice hay and watch him. Worm him as well.

Yeah, it does seem he's lost a bit again.

Really got yourself a hard keeper, I'm afraid.

Could he maybe have had another growth spurt, or needs another good deworming? Halo looks like maybe she could use a good dose of dewormer, as well.

He was looking real good for a bit, so at least you know it's possible; that must be encouraging!

Hey, did mrs ever do that conformation critique on your filly? I really think you have a nice little gem there.

[ 07-09-2008, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: DraftHorse ]

[Me Cry] Im trying really hard with Diesel [Frown]

No Mrs never did the one on Halo yet..

I may have a chance to buy an Appy Colt next week..600$

If Diesel keeps going on this track.. I may sell him.. [Confused]

Oh. Just a side note.. The flies are really keeping him moving..and its really hot, so he sweats (more than halo does).. I am making sure that he has plenty of water.

I know that it can be done to make him gain weight. that IS encouraging..but at the same time its like why is he loosing.

I going to be Worming him again soon.

Maybe I should sell him to someone who don't mind a hard keeper..but its reallly really getting frusterating .. I mean..Look at halo...I must be doing something right there..

I know.

It starts to get expensive when you've got a hard keeper.

What exactly does he get now in the way of rations?

quote:

Originally posted by audrey-mae:

Boy he is gaining VERY slowly! I would expect him to look much better by now, but there has only been a small bit of progress total. He is still a good 150 lbs under at least! I would be getting the vet back out for a good dental exam with sedation and an oral speculum, a full blood work up, and fecal test. Seems something isnt right there.

Thank you. That's what I said several pages back. He doesn't look right. I'd be worried about something chronic going on inside.

A bad bad worm infestation, even if the worms are gone, can really mess up their internal organs. I seen a warmblood once that had peritonitis and he never recovered. He was always poor looking and never gained much weight. I'd be a little worried about Diesel. He does look better but a lot of that is because he finally lost that winter coat.

JMO of course Stars. I expected to see a big change the last time you posted. I figured he'd be starting to bloom by now and he's really not.

The pictures you posted the other day made him look better than these last pictures. Must have been the angle.

eta: Paritonitis

I'm not saying he HAS this. It's just something that comes to the top of my head when I know a horse has been wormed and is being fed but isn't improving. It could be anything. I'd take him to the vet for a check if he were mine.

eta again!!! Wood chewing can be a symptom of peritonitis, ulcers, liver disease, kidney failure... Honestly, I don't mean to scare you... but... you know.

Also, wood chewing can be a symptom or the CAUSE of ulcers and paritonitis.

OK. I'm done. Sorry to make such a long post.

[ 07-10-2008, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: mrs ]

quote:

Originally posted by DraftHorse:

Hey, did mrs ever do that conformation critique on your filly? I really think you have a nice little gem there.

[Embarrassed] no. not yet. I'm sorry. I know I promised I would though and I will. It's just been so busy lately and I have to be in the mood.

Its ok..

Sigh..I've put quite abit of money into him. What sort of Wormer Would take care of this kind of parisite.

Well, his pasture is the very best. I am giving him the Beet Pulp 4lbs in the mornin with molasses and 1/4 cup of Corn Oil..His coat is shiny because of it.

I will have to call the vet.. Caleb is going to Hate me for doing it [Me Cry]

I have noticed something though..especially the past two days. Halo is getting after him..I don't know if that would contribute to him loosing weight.??

I'll get ahold of the vet to get some blood work done on him...

FS. . . You said that the flies are really getting after him. . . Did you get my PM with the links to the homemade fly sprays???

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time putting weight on Diesel. Hard keepers are SO frustrating. His COAT looks nice and shiney, so that's a good sign. . . do you have him on a pelleted feed or anything along with the beet pulp?

Talk to your vet about what's going to be the most nutritionally beneficial diet for a growing boy. . . maybe you could work out a feed program that will boost up the fella's weight.

quote:

Its ok..

Sigh..I've put quite abit of money into him. What sort of Wormer Would take care of this kind of parisite.

Well, his pasture is the very best. I am giving him the Beet Pulp 4lbs in the mornin with molasses and 1/4 cup of Corn Oil..His coat is shiny because of it.

I will have to call the vet.. Caleb is going to Hate me for doing it
[Me Cry]

I have noticed something though..especially the past two days. Halo is getting after him..I don't know if that would contribute to him loosing weight.??

I'll get ahold of the vet to get some blood work done on him...

[Huggy]

Peritonitis is actually lesions (small cuts), inflamation, and or infection in the lining of his abdomen. It can be caused by virus or disease... eating too much sand... bad parasites... It can get quite bad and a lot of horses never recover. It's probably NOT what he has though. I'm just saying that cronic low weight and... maybe wood chewing... could all be something bigger. Even that hernia he had surgery on might be signs of something "else" going on (probably NOT).

How is his stool? Firm? Loose?

I know it gets expensive in a hury. Unfortunately, you could be throwing a whole bunch of money the wrong direction and wasting it if you're dealing with a medical issue.

His Stool is firm..Not loose.. He sometimes has the runs if he gets a lil nervous if I take Halo away from him

I cannot find it out on my own..so I won't know much more untill I can talk to the vet.

Calebs allready said that If the horse has something wrong with him..dont' call a vet just shoot him.

I fired back at him. That He married ME..and he KNEW that I had horses..and that I will take care of them the best way that I know how..and That Includes a VET.

I Love my Husband!! But Maaaaan..is it ever frusterating.

Thank you mrs for explaingin that out to me!!

As for the chewing wood..I was allways told that Standardbreds are chewers..lol.

But, I'd like to get all the possiblities of what this could be. I feel like such a NEWB [Eek!]

quote:

Calebs allready said that If the horse has something wrong with him..dont' call a vet just shoot him.

I fired back at him. That He married ME..and he KNEW that I had horses..and that I will take care of them the best way that I know how..and That Includes a VET.

I Love my Husband!! But Maaaaan..is it ever frusterating.

Thank you mrs for explaingin that out to me!!

As for the chewing wood..I was allways told that Standardbreds are chewers..lol.

But, I'd like to get all the possiblities of what this could be. I feel like such a NEWB
[Eek!]

It's so hard when money is tight. And this... this... horse is probably fine.. but he just gives me a "feeling". The problem is, these unknown things are the most expensive to diagnose sometimes.

I hope you can figure out a way to at least have a minor check up done on Diesel and still keep the peace in your home life. I know you'll manage.

Good luck to you. Like others said, it could be that he's just an extremely hard keeper but it seems to me you've gone to pretty extreme lengths to fatten him up and you're really not being rewarded. Maybe.. just a quick little check up. Could be as simple as bad teeth!

I've had the vet come and do Checkups on Smokey when I had him.. And it did not cost me much. cost me less than 100$ each time.

I work two jobs..Money is tight yes. But its just Caleb and myself..no babies yet.

So i have made a budeget for my horses a month.

So, it seemed to work out in the budget.

But a routine checkups and blood work..will not put us out much.