ThatsHowIRoll

Does anyone remember OTIS BROWN STABLES

Yes. I'm thinking it was in the Frontenac area?

His son judged a H/J FUT at the KY Horse Park a few years ago where I showed a cute, but not representative of her genre, filly in hand for my friend.

Believe me when I tell you that at nearly 6 feet tall, I was not the best candidate to show this filly, but I was the best of the worst available. [big Grin] Mr Brown was kind and looked over 'my' filly as if she was a contender. I appreciated that ... and the fact that he didn't dismiss me when the water truck rattled by and she blew apart. [Embarrassed]

I didn't prepare this filly ... just stepped in at the shank at the last moment.

Hey ... a free trip to LEX and a meal at the now long gone New Orleans House? Hand ME the green filly! [Wink]

Always a cowgirl with gold buckle dreams, I never had business with Otis Brown Stables, but heard the name bantered a lot by my sport horse friends.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

I was saddened to see that Don sold Tack Room Saddlery. Another STL institution gone by the wayside.

And can't we PLEASE in this area do better than the National Equine Center or what ever Lake St. Louis is calling that facility these days?

OH so lovely ... but quite inaccessable.

I too was disappointed to see the Tack Room Saddlery leave. I agree on the inaccessibility of the National Equestrian Center especially since it a nice facility. I wish there would be more of the larger breed shows there. It used to hold the Reichert Celebration but that show left and went to Oklahoma which seems to be where all the stock breeds are moving their big shows, all except for Sun Circuit and Congress. There is a newer place I discovered around Thanksgiving called East Meets West/Double J Tack Shop. I don't know where you are at but it is near Scott Air Force Base.

Hello. I just became a member of this website. I read your post dated 2008 about OTIS BROWN STABLES. I rode there for about 2 years in the mid 1960's and knew Otic, Bee Brown, and their son Otis Brown Jr. (Brownie) very well. If you would like to correspond let me know. Thanks.

The year was 1967. Bright and early on Christmas morning, 2 men walked up to the front door of our house and wished a very Merry Christmas! They brought a horse named, "Little Flower" right into our house on our fancy s late floor. They were giving me my first horse! I also remember other horses like Lemon Peel, No Regrets, Charlemagne, Sheika, Ace White. ( There were more names I can't think of). I lived to "go riding". If you think of other names can you update them?

Nobody could forget Ginny Flynn or Clifford Trout either.

There were two barns, an upper arena and the lower practice track. Trails leading off to the west(?) going through all of the neighbors' back yards and trails across the street heading the other way covering about 9 miles of circles. That area became Frontenac Plaza. A contest had been run to name that evil plaza. I submitted, "Lost Trails!"

One of my best memories of my life is centered on the lower barn. It was Sunday. They always fed hard corn on the cob on Sunday night. The simultaneous much of about 50 horses, left a feeling of their collective happiness that has never left me.

Edited by TamWyke

Just found this website when searching for Otis Brown Stables.  A trip down Memory Lane.  I spent  10 wonderful years of my life living on Countryside Lane and riding at Otis Brown Stables also on Countryside Lane.  In fact, almost every Saturday and Sunday I would go to the stables at dawn and stay until dark riding whatever horses they would put me on as my riding ability improved.  Bee, Otis and Brownie always so supportive playing a massive role in improving by equestrian knowledge and ability, taking me to numerous shows to show horses they had up for sale.   I, too,  remember No Regrets, Understudy (both owned by the Miesner's), Dixie War, Little Flower, Goldie, Dreamboat, Palu, Cimmaron, Bouncy . . . WOW  what fun!!  I've owned horses ever since.  Now both my daughter and granddaughter have horses and it all started at Otis Brown Stables!