PonyhollowLK

Everything You Want or Need to Know About Role Playing (And More!)

What is roleplaying?

Roleplaying: To assume or act out a particular role. It is where one person creates a setting and/ or scenario and other people join by creating original characters. Then, together, they creat a story by only controlling their own character and reacting to situations and actions made by other characters. It is like a literary version of the popular computer game The Sims or an interactive book.

Why role play?

This answer is much more complex. When asked most people on the board that I know will simply tell you that they're bored, or maybe that it's fun. However, I think there are many other reasons. Role playing is also a psychotherapeutic technique in which patients are encouraged to assume the role of another person in order to learn how to react in different social situations and to see things from another's point of view.

I beleive the role playing on this site is very similar. Sometimes people base parts of a characters personality, this helps make characters more real for everyone. By having these characters that you can relate to you can see how you yourself would react in a situation similar to the one your character is put through and by doing so you may also learn that it might not have been the right choice. People may also make a character similar to yourself in order to further your understanding of a situation that you're currently going through. I have done this several times and I've found that it helped and also has releived some of the stress that I was feeling at the time.

Other people create characters that they'd like to be like, this helps people visualize what they want and almost live vicariously through the character.

Sometimes you'll find yourself creating a character who you aren't like at all. This is usually just fun and may also help you understand that though some people arent at all like you that they too are real people.

Roleplaying also helps improve your writing skills. As you role play you are thinking (usually) 'what can I do to make things more exciting?' and 'how can I have them do this in a way that is clear and understandable?'

You also learn about management when you create your own role playing game (RPG) and teamwork as you play.

Alright I'm interested, how do I get started?

Before you actually join a RPG it's best to find one similar to the RPG you're interested in joining and just read it. You will learn the proper format (see below) and just familiarize yourself with the process while reading a good story!

Once you've read a few find a small RPG and create your character and sometimes when you join for your first time it's best to simply include that you're new so that people will help and be patient (not that they wouldn't be anyways).

Is there anything I need to know before joining?

I. Terminoligy:

Power playing (PP): This occurs when one person controls the actions of a character other than their own without their permission. Some situations, your character is Bob.

If Bob and Jim are fighting: Bob swung his fist hard, making contact with Jim's face. Jim's vision darkened as he fell to the ground, unconscious.

Instead: Bob swung his fist hard, aiming for Jim's head. Whether Jim gets hit or not is up to the person who plays him. [/i]

Bob saw Suzy, she was wearing a skirt and a nice top. "Why are you dressed up today?" He asked. "We've got that feild trip today," She told him.

Instead write: Bob saw Suzy, "I like your outfit!" He said.

If you are ever unsure about a situation type (PP?) afterwords. If a person thinks it is powerplaying and doesn't like it you can go back and change it, however usually in the next post the other person will simply tell you that it's fine.

God modelling (GM): Creating a character that is perfect in every way who never gets hurt and can do no wrong.

Mary Sues: This goes hand in hand with GM. A Mary Sue is a perfect character. This person is absolutely beautiful (or handsome) who is very smart and is friends with ever. If they ride they are an amazing rider that can jump higher than high who never has a problem with their horse and has perfect equitation. If they are a horse they are perfectly obediant and can do anything that's asked of them. I'm sure that you get the picture.

OOC: Out of character. When you talk to others in the thread but not as part of the game you write OOC: followed by your statement to avoid confusion. When you resume the game use BIC:

II. Rules: You will usually find a set at the beginning of each RPG you join, however they are typically the same. Make sure that you read them.

No PP- this makes things more enjoyable for everyone, no one likes having someone else make your character do something that you wouldn't have them do yourself.

No GM or Mary Sues- this keeps things realistic which, again makes things more enjoyable.

NO SWEARING- this is a big one. Some people may say in the rules that you can. But you can't and tuck WILL delete your post. Remember this is a public site and there are many younger kids on here. Someday they might be exposed to these words but this is NOT the place and I'm sure parents will agree. Don't even use asterick (*) or other symbols to get around the censors. It's not impossible to avoid using these words, if you have a hard time simply say Bob swore. NOTHING more than that.

Romance: Most RPG's allow romance. Again, keep in mind that many people here are young and do not want to read bedroom stories. Keep them appropriate and do not go any farther than kissing and even then don't go into detail. Some RPG's may say romance is not allowed and if you join one please try to obey. I have made some with this rule because that was not what I felt the RPG was about and I've found that unless clearly stated people tend to focus on the romance aspect.

III. General Guidelines

Be nice and cooperate, if you don't agree with someone or see that they've broken a rule politely tell them and ask them to edit their post. If you accidently break a rule cooperate. And no name calling or being rude. If your character is rude it's best to make an out of character statement that it's nothing personal and that you don't mean it.

Follow the rules This keeps everyone happy and ensures that things run smoothly.

When you find a RPG that has gone for more than 10 pages it's best to ask before joining.

Do not join a game after 50 pages.

Read everything in a RPG before joining so that you're not lost when you join.

Try not to leave people behindIf you're in a RPG with people and you know you're going to be gone for a bit let people know. And if you've gone for a page without one of the character's posting try to stop and so that they're not left behind.

If you DO get left behind try not to make a big deal about it. It happens to everyone and you have probably left someone behind before so try to be understanding.

Use quotation marks when people speak, italicize thoughts and try not to use instant message lingo (ex. u, r, ne etc.) Remember, you want to make this as similar to a book as you can.

Keep things realistic. Everyone has flaws and things happen. If everyone and everything is perfect then things get boring. In HS rpg's not everyone should be popular and everyone doesn't like the people that like them and not everyone has a boyfriend or girlfriend. That's life.

Keep signatures short so that you don't have to scroll down much between posts.

Be original. Don't copy other people's ideas and characters. If you liked an idea that was done in the past and remember who made it it's best to PM them for their permission before posting it. If you don't remember who made it it's best to simply add "I remember that someone made something like this awhile ago and it was pretty popular so I thought I'd make another."

Try to keep the guy/ girl ratio even. I know everyone wants to play a girl because really most people here are girls. But I also know that most people want someone to play guys. Since someone has to play them so in order to keep everyone happy I've found it works best if everyone plays both a boy and a girl, some RPG will specifically state that everyone has to have a character of each gender.

Like all HC pages there can be no soliciting or posting links to competitive sites. And don't feed the trolls (don't fight with people who are out to start a fight)!

Now that I know all of this and have some experiance I'd like to start a role playing game of my own.

To start a RPG find a scenario/ setting that you think would be interesting for everyone.

To get people to join it's best to create a catchy title.

Clearly explain your idea in an interesting way Remember you want people to join so you almost have to 'sell your idea' to get people to join. Also post information about the setting (ex. in a barn tell about things available like arenas, stalls, trails etc.)

Create a clear. definate set of rules : Although most people already know the rules it never hurts to retype them, just so there's no confusion. Also you may want to make people aware of what you'll do if they break a rule.

Create a character format: Most people include name, age, gender, and appearance. Any other information relevant to the situation should be included however try not to include more than people want to know. Personality does not have to be included because many people like to keep it a suprise and let others find out (like in real life, you don't know until you get to know the person).

Post your own stats in a seperate post.

What can I do if I have a question about something?

Don't be afraid to ask questions! Everyone I know on this site will be happy to help. Either ask in an OOC or post another thread with the title "I have a question..." or something along those lines. If you'd like to ask privately or it has something to do with a specific situation or RPG then you can always PM someone who you think would know. We're all here to help!

[ 12-11-2004, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: HappyGoLucky ]

When posting, try to stay away from boredom posts, as it generally annoys the poeple who are not on, whether they say it or not. Go outside, get some excersize, clean the house! Don't spend your whole life in front of the computer. Unless your sick.

quote:

Originally posted by 8o8bubblibubblz8o8:

When posting, try to
stay away from boredom posts
, as it generally annoys the poeple who are not on, whether they say it or not. Go outside, get some excersize, clean the house! Don't spend your whole life in front of the computer. Unless your sick.

gawd like the words just rolled out of my mouth into yours [Razz]

Pfft, only losers go outside and actually do something productive with their time! [Wink] Besides, this was a boredom post. An educational boredom post but still a boredom post.

Hehehhe love it.Tuck will delete the post if you swear.Also to add:: do not post for a suspended member.

And ditto on the nasty scenes. Do not go there. Open the door and run,run,far,far away.

Heheheh giggling here. [smileywavey]

[ 11-02-2004, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: Tuckaway ]

Something I have also noticed alot of lately.

Who is on or head count????

Are these all called for???

Why not pm the people you want to contact or delete those threads after you find out who is or is not on???

Just thought we should add what to put in romantic scenarious.

I'm going to asume In moments the breeding process was over and his mate was pregnant is still apporopriate? For horses anyway...lol sounds a little strange for people [Razz][Razz]

[smileywavey]

quote:

Originally posted by Elphaba:

Just thought we should add what to put in romantic scenarious.

I'm going to asume
In moments the breeding process was over and his mate was pregnant
is still apporopriate? For horses anyway...lol sounds a little strange for people
[Razz][Razz]

[smileywavey]

Fine for horses if it does not go any father than that.And do not go there for people.

great idea to do this, it only helps when you are really new though. When I started it took me like a long time to figure this out!!!! If only somebody did this when I joined......hmmmm

must have taken a long time to write it up!!!

this was actually a good idea for a post, HappyGoLucky... i've only been RPGing since July this year, and NOW i know what "OOC" and "BIC" actually mean... wow... [big Grin]