SGrace

Go Big or Go Home...

"Okay Matt, go work on stops and spins in the corner, I want to do a quick one on one with Miranda. Then you and me will head over to the calf arena." The trainer sent Matt off and focused on Miranda. "Okay Miranda, show me a run. Push her like you are at a Jackpot". "Okay" Miranda got confident as her and Dixie had been doing well latley. She jogged over to the Start. Lining up her horse, she thought about the task ahead of her. She kissed and dixie lept off to the first. They turned it tight, then ran to the second.Her knee rubbed the rim and they tipped it, but it stayed up.Finally at the third, Dixie turned it tight, but didnt come out that fast. Once they reached home, John, the trainer, waited with a stop watch. "That was sokay. A 15.9. If you were faster coming out of the barrels you would shave off a second. Your NOT driving her!This time put your quirt on your wrist and let her know its there.Alos, use your spurs on your turns more!" John said sternly.

Miranda nodded and turned. She rolled her eyes, sometimes this guy was too much. Tapping Dixie lightly on the butt with her blue quirt, the mare woke up. They shot out for the first. Coming out, Dixie tried to slow but Miranda drove her more, reminding her of the quirt. Dixie turned the second with speed and perfection.Galloping torwads the third, Miranda let Dixie drop her soulder. They hit the barrel, but came out stronger.

Once at home John looked aggrivated. "That was faster,a 15.3, but you need to remeber to lift her up! Well stop there for today, but we need to get this perfect for your rodeo in 6 days! Go cool her out. "Yessir" Miranda said under her breath. Once outside the arena, the let her reins go long and set he rwhip down. "Good girl Dixie, you put up with so much for me" Miranda patted her neck and stopped, digging a treat out of her pocket for the tired mare.

"Yeah. The forbidden trails!" Rhylie says and bursts out laughing with Shay. "I know I've been doing a lot of reining work. Ms. Kennedy is just pushing the issue because of Bandit. He's not good enough just to do barrels and poles. He has to do reining, too. He tries so hard for me, but she just doesn't see him try. She wants to see him do. It has to be perfect or she gets upset. Like any horse can do a full 360 spin within just one day working on it and they've never done it before. I bet she never did that to her horses when she was younger and learning. I don't know. I think I'll give him tomorrow off. Anyways. I think I'll put up the barrels so we can do practice runs."

Just then Brad, Ullman stable hand, comes walking over. "Hey guys. Do you need a hand with anything?" he asks looking from Rhylie to Shay.

"Yeah. I was just about to put the barrels up, but you can, if you don't mind." Rhylie replies then looks at Shay. "Oh my god. He's so cute." Practically, everyone knows about her crush on him except him.

A few minutes later, Brad comes walking back over. "That should do it. I'll go and turn the timmers on really quick, then I'm heading out, unless you need anything else."

"Nope. That should do. Thanks." Rhylie says, looking him in the face and blushing slightly. Once he's gone, Rhylie lets out a huge sigh. "God, he's so cute! If only...." she trails off. Grace snaps her back to reality by stomping her hoof at flies. "Oh sorry. Do you wanna go first or do you want me to?" she asks Shay. Before she replies, Rhylie hears the same trailer. "I don't know, but I can't wait to see their horses. Wanna go investigate?"

Shay bit her bottom lip to keep from smiling at Brad. She knew Rhylie was crushing on him big time, but she was gonna be a good friend and not say anything.

"Thanks Brad." Shay said as he left the arena on foot. Then turning back to Rhylie she said "you should ask him to come to your birthday party. I bet he would come! That would give you two a chance to talk more! Now we just need to find me a man!" She laughed.

"Let's go ahead and do some practice runs while the horses are warmed up. You can go first."

[ 01-06-2008, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: NBHABarrelRacer ]

Rhylie smiles at her best friend. "That would be a good idea if only I knew what to talk to him about. I only ever talk to him when he's helping me with something. I'd make a fool of myself. I think Mom and Dad already invited him and that's why he had to leave so early. Yeah. We'll start looking for you tonight at the party. I know there will be a great deal of people there and of course, Ryan's coming home to see me." (Ryan is Rhylie's 19 y/o brother that moved out a year ago so he could get away from the parentals. He only lives a few miles away.)

As she gathers up her reins, Rhylie takes a deep breath then positions Grace up facing the third barrel. She gives her a small kick and they gallop off to the first barrel. They round it smoothly with no problems and head for the second. Once around it, Rhylie swings her under-over by Grace's head and she quickly picks up speed. They round the third and as they're heading for home, Rhylie pops her once with the under-over. Grace zooms past the timmers as Rhylie pulls her around in a circle to calm her down. She always gets hyper after a run. Once calm, Rhylie checks the time. A 16 flat on a normal NBHA pattern. Grace may be small, but she deffinitly has the speed and heart to make up for it. This is why Rhylie has won so many races on her. "Good girl!" she praises and rubs Grace's neck. She looks over at Shay, "Your turn. Let's see what that baby can do!" Rhylie laughs slightly already knowing that Cross could easily beat that time.

"Grace does so good for you! She really listens and responds well to you!"

Shay trotted Cross in a circle and then loped a circle and pointed him towards the center of the arena. Cross knew this routine. He raced towards first and Shay helped him set up his pocket and bumped the right rein once and Cross slid around first. Then he pushed off with his hind legs and headed towards second, rounding it perfectly slowing down only a little. Then he bounded towards third and Shay bumped the left rein once, only she bumped it a little too soon and caused Cross's shoulder to bump the rim of the barrel. Shay tried to save the barrel, but over it went. She snapped her head and looked towards the alley, driving Cross around the last barrel and for home. She popped him one with overand under, but the big Palomino needed no encouragement.

Once they flashed by the timer, Shay eased Cross into a slower pace and then glanced at the timer. "Dang" she said breathless. "15.4 plus 5 second penalty for bumping him too soon!" She reached down and patted Cross on the neck. "Good boy, though! I might have to make you my superstar!"

"Hey Rhylie, when is the next Rodeo?" She asked trying to catch her breath.

"Yeah. She does, doesn't she?" Rhylie says then laughs.

"That was a great run, all accept for the knocked barrel. But still. Way to go, Cross!.......I have a jackpot run in 2 days and a rodeo in 3. Then I have an open 4-H show next Saturday followed by another rodeo the next day. You wanna come? It's not too late to sign up." she says while hopping off Grace. She gives her a pat and loosens the girth then walks up to Cross. "I'm done with her for today. I don't wanna tire her out too much, especially before our busy weekend coming up. I gotta go take care of her then pull Dream out. You wanna come or stay here?"

"Cool, I'll sign up for both runs this weekend! We can save on gas and haul together." Shay hopped off of Cross's back and landed lightly in the dirt. "We're done for the day, too."

She unclipped one of the reins. "I'll go untack him and come bak and watch you run. I have already worked my two for today. My mom and dad are trying to get me to go look at a big bay gelding that does poles and roping. I might go look at him tomorrow morning."

Shay led Cross back to the barn and put him on crossties and unsaddled him. She made sure he was cool and clean and then led him and Beau out to the 2 acre feild they chared behind the main barn. The two boys took off running and bucking before they settled down to eat.

Shay jogged back to the barn to find Rhylie so she could go watch her work Dream.

[ 01-06-2008, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: NBHABarrelRacer ]

"Ok." Rhylie says and follow Shay back to the barn. She hooks Grace up to the crossties and untacks her. She's been sweating so Rhylie grooms her then puts her lime green cooler on and puts her back into her stall to cool down. As Grace settles into her stall, Rhylie makes sure the door is latched then walks over to Dream's stall. "Hello my beauty." she says as she clips the lead rope to her halter. She hooks her up on the crossties and begins grooming her.

A few minutes later, Dream's all tacked up and ready to go. Rhylie leads her out of the barn and waits for Shay before begining down to the arena. Dream follows close behind Rhylie without even havinga finger on her. You could deffinitly see the bond between them. As they reach the arena, Rhylie checks her girth then swings into the saddle without even the help of her sturrips. She walks Dream, on a loose rein, around the arena once then turns and goes the other way. They jog around for a while then finally move into a lope. Dream had been previously owned by people who only did Western Pleasure, but showed potential for speed work so Rhylie's parents bought her. It turned out to be one of the best things they ever did since Rhylie and Dream have won 3 world titles. Once warmed up, Rhylie takes her through several manuvers. Anything she could think of, she had Dream do with ease. After the manuvers, Rhylie puts her on the pattern at a walk then jog and finally lope. "Shay. Should I push her up or let her go her own speed?" She always has loved Shay's opinions especialy when it comes to running.

"LC... were gunna do some good runs today alright?" Adurey whispered into her horses neck as she drug the reins over her neck lacing them on the horn. The bay mare exhaled deeply as her head hung low in her stall as Audrey finished tacking her up. Her lesson wasn't till later on LC with her 'Wonderful' *rolls eyes* Mr Joan Wilson, her trainer. "Lets go.. we'll play around in the feilds for a while" Her voice was soft and barely above a hushed whisper, so only her horse, who's ears were flicked towards her, could hear her. Once out of the rush of horses and poeple with booming voices and chaotic scheduales she tilted LC's head in and slipped her foot in the stirrup and was on in two quick hops. Landing gently she gave the mare her head back and flexed her three times to each side.

"Are you running her this weekend? If you are then let her go her own speed and see how she handles herself. If you aren't running her this weekend, I would really push her in between the barrels and let her do her own rate. Dream rates herself really nice."

Shay sat perched on the top rail of the arena and watched as Rhylie and Dream worked. The two seemed to know what each other was thinking. Shay loved to watch Rhylie ride because she seemed to do it so effortlessly and seemed to listen to what her horse wanted. Shay admired that in her best friend and hoped that's how she looked when she rode her horses.

Hutch smiled as his trainer "Bo Glass" came to few, walking over to him he smiled and shook his hand. Bo had been hutch's trainer for the longest time and allowed him to do practical anything. After talking for a while both Bo and hutch walked to the trailer and grapped both leads. Leading Cyclone and black to the barn, bo released cyclone into a little paddock as hutch began tacking up Black. The stud stood there waiting paticently while being tacked. After he was threw hutch followed bo into the arena while talking to black. He was hutchs best horse and basically best friends, mounting him. Hutch padded his muscled neck before asking a walk from him. But nowing black he responced and did as asked.

"Ok. I'll let her go at her own speed. Ms. Kennedy and my parents want me to run all my horses this weekend, but I managed to get away with just taking 2. And that will be Grace and Dream." Rhylie says while gathering her reins. She asks for a trot as she circles Dream. By now, DReam is getting hyper because she knows what they're about to do. "Easy girl." Rhylie whispers so only Dream can hear. She pushes her onto her right lead then lets her go to the first barrel. They turn it effortlessly and head for the second. Once around it, Dream hauls butt to the third and rounds it beautifully. Rhylie sits up in two point and only guides Dream accross the timmers. She instantly calms down and walks once around the arena. Rhylie checks the time. "16.359 without pushing. Good job, Dream." she says and pats her on the neck. Rhylie hops off, loosens the girth then walks over to where Shay's sitting on the fence. "16.359." she tells her. "Not bad for not pushing her. I gotta put her up and turns the others out, but after that do you wanna go see what's happening around here?"

"That was great! She only looked like she was loping! I can't wait to see her really run this weekend! You are deffinately gonna walk away with a check!"

In the arena next to the one Shay and Rhylie were in, she noticed a guy on a big black horse. She smiled and waved and reminded herself to go introduce herself the the trainer and the guy when she and Rhylie were done. Her momma had always told her to be nice and try to get to know people.

Shay followed Rhylie back to the barn and helped her with Dream.

"So, now what?" she asked knowing that they were both done with their horses for the day.

[ 01-06-2008, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: NBHABarrelRacer ]

"Thanks. She's got a long stride that makes her look like she's going so slow, but with those times. I bet you'll come away with a check, too. Beau and Cross are amazing horses. You're so lucky to have them." Rhylie replies while walking to the barn. Once there, she ties Dream up at the tack room. With Shay's help, the untacking and grooming goes by fast. Not so surprising, Dream isn't sweating so Rhylie leads her to a paddok and lets her go. She walks back to the barn and checks on Grace and Bandit to make sure they're cooled off. Once she's sure they are, the coolers come off and get placed onto their stalls for now. Clipping the lead rope onto Grace's halter she calls to Shay, "Would you mind taking Bandit to his paddock while I take her?" Rhylie leads Grace to the paddock where Dream is and lets her loose. She stands admiring them for a few seconds then heads back to the barn to find Shay. Spencer had already been placed into his paddock earlier this morning by Brad. "You wanna go see what everyone's doing?" she asks catching up to her best friend.

Shay easily found Bandit's halter and clipped it to his leadrope. Sge lead him out to his paddock and turned him loose. She watched him for a few moments and then walked back to the barn.

"Yeah. Let's go see what everyone is up to."

Stats-human

Name: Olivia Foster

Personality: Very outgoing, laughs a lot, easy to talk to, gets along with pretty much everyone.

Looks:Olivia

Competes in: barrels, poles, breakaway roping

Stats-horse

Name: PC French Maid

Barn name: Pip

Breed: Qharter Horse

Height: 15.2

Description:Pip

Competes in: barrels, poles, breakaway roping

Olivia led Pip to the crossties and saddled the big bay mare. She gave her a bite of carrot to munch on while she busily tacked her up. Today she had a lesson with her teacher, Trudy Kiss. Olivia hurridly tacked Pip in her barrel saddle and the two jogged to one of the many outdoor arenas.

"Olivia!" Mrs. Trudy said "Warm that horse up and then we will set up poles."

Olivia mounted pip and began to warm her up around the arena. While Mrs. Trudy set up the six poles.

"Ok, now that you are warmed up, lope her through twice and then I want you to really push her through them. I have signed you up for a Pole Horse Futurity this weekend, and I expect the two of you to win."

Olivia nodded silently and eased Pip into a rocking chair lope and rocked the pretty bay through the poles. Once they rounded the last pole and loped home, Mrs. Trudy barked at her to do it again. So Olivia lined Pip up and completed the pattern again.

"Now walk her around the arena twice and then circle take her out of the alley, turn her, and run her throught the set of poles." Mrs. Trudy instructed.

So Olivia began to walk Pip around the arena.

[ 01-08-2008, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: JacksSingTuff ]

Rhylie starts walking down to the outdoor arena next to the covered. She noticed a while ago that there was someone new in there and had wanted to investigate. "Let's go sit in the bleachers and watch so we don't interrupt them." As Rhylie climbs onto the bleachers and sits down, she notices Matt and Miranda having a lesson. She waves as Miranda walks by on Dixie then settles into her seat to watch the new guy.

After a quick warm up seeing Joan in the arena waiting for her she headed over there. Joan opened the gate letting her in "I see he's warmed up?" she asked looking at her as she backed LC up a few steps.

"Yes sir"

"Alright lope her a few circles then in the box for the first calf"

Without hesitation Audrey asked LC for a lope and it was given without refusal. Loping a few circles both directions she then backed him into the box.

Joan soon had the cow loaded and within a few moments he let him out.

LC watched the cow for just a moment. Bolting out of the box he charged after the cow, Circling her rope a few times she casted it and as she did LC stumbled, this caused him to slow down and her to miss the cow. Trotting off she patted his neck "Its ok" she said to LC.

"What was that?!" he snapped "It looked ridiculous.. where were her feet?! and you.. you my dear need to throw a little bit harder, you would have just made the cow" He growled as she sat on the fence. "Lets go.. Another cow.. She looks like that again she's doing ground poles and low fences.. Got it?" Joan snapped as she gathered her rope then backed her little bay mare back into the box.

Shay follows Rhylie and the two of them go watch the horse and rider go around the arena while the instructor is barking out orders.

"I am really excited about this weekend! I just want Cross and Beau to make clean runs. I'm not really looking to win."

Olivia and Pip finished their lesson with Mrs. Trudy about 45 minutes later.

She dismounted and led Pip back to the barn and put her on crossties in front of her roomy box stall. She unsaddled the mare and began to work on making her coat shine. When she was done, Olivia put a sheet on Pip and led her out to a feild, making sure she didn't put her in a paddock close to any stallions.

After she turned the mare loose, she walked around trying to find something to do. Then she remebered seeing Rhylie and Shay sitting in the bleachers. She figured she could go talk to them.

She headed off towards where the two friends were sitting and stepped up to where they were.

"Hey! How did your lessons go?" She asked both girls.

Shay noticed a girl coming up the bleachers.

"Hey Olivia! My instructor was sick today and didn't come, but both my horses did pretty good. Are you showing anywhere this week? Hey, you know today is Rhylie's birthday?" Shay smiled and poked Rhylie in the side. "She is getting old like me!"

"Hey Olivia." Rhylie greets the girl sitting next to Shay. "My lesson went ok, I guess. I was late again and Bandit was being a little studly. Ms. Kennedy didn't like it one bit and she told me if I was late again that I better find myself a new trainer. But on the good side, I didn't have a 3-4 hour lesson like usual. More like an hour and a half. How was yours?"

Rhylie listens to what Shay says about her and nudges her side. "I am not. I'm only 16 thank you very much." she says in protest. "But ya. Today's my 16th birthday. Are you gonna come to my party?" she asks Olivia.

"OH! Yeah. You should come to the party. It's gonna be fun! And maybe you could get to know some of the other people around here!" Shay says trying to encourage Olivia.

"A party sounds fun! Yeah I'll come if you don't mind? What time does it start? It's 3:00 now" She says glancing down at her Montana Silversmith watch. "I would like to take a shower! I smell like horses!" Olivia laughed.

"Hey would ya'll like to go to a pole horse futurity this weekend with me?"

"It would be great to have you there! It starts around 6:00pm and will probably last, knowing my brother, until around midnight, but you can get there and leave whenever you want." Rhylie replies enthusiastically. "I do, too. But I love the smell." she laughs.

"Oh I can't. I'm sorry, but Ms. Kennedy is making me go to Jackpot run in 2 days, Saturday, and a rodeo in 3, Sunday. I really wish I could. It sounds like a lot of fun." she explains to Olivia.

"Cool! So what time should we be at your house? Do I need to bring anything? I'm so excited! I don't really get to go out much...my parents are lame! I have to behome doing homework or her riding!" Olivia says slightly rolling her eyes.

"But I love being here!"

"You're gonna love Rhylie's brother! He's so much fun to hang out with! And don't tell him I said so, but he's cute!" Shay says giggling.

"That stinks that you have a show! We are both going to the shows on Saturday and Sunday together! Maybe some other time!"

"You know what, Rhylie? We didn;t go trail riding!"

"Our parties get packed and fast so just to be on the safe side I would be there around 5:30 and you don't have to bring anything but yourself." Rhylie responds to Olivia's questions. "Shay. I never knew you liked Ryan! And yeah I totally forgot about our trail ride. Maybe we can go tomorrow? I better go check on my horses then head home. Anyone wanna come with?" she asks before standing up and stepping off the bleachers.

In the driveway.....Mrs. Ullman pulls up in her new truck and kille the engine. She steps out and takes a good look around before walking to the barn. Checking all the stalls and not finding any of her daughter's horses, she turns and heads back to her truck. About 10 minutes later a large truck and trailer pulls up in the driveway. The driver steps out. "Anyone here with the last name Ullman?" he asks. Mrs. Ullman steps up and signs the paperwork then follows the man to the back of the trailer. He steps inside and leads a beautiful blue grullo filly out. He hands off the lead rope then closes the doors. He then walks up to his truck, hops in, and drives away. Mrs. Ullman hands the filly off to a stable hand then picks up her phone and calls Rhylie....

All of a sudden, Rhylie's phone goes off. She takes it out her pocket and looking at the screen, decides to answer it. "Hello."

"Rhylie, I want you to come to the barn. Your surprise is here." Mrs. Ullman tells her daughter then hangs up the phone.

"That was weird. Mom just called, said my surprise is here, then hung up. She never does that. Whatever. You wanna go see what it is?" she asks Shay and Olivia.

"Well...what can I say? There is just something about Ryan!" Shay blushes. Rhylie's phone starts to ring and after a short conversation, she hangs up. "What was that all about?" Shay asked with a puzzled look on her face.

Rhylie explains her call and Shay, Ryhlie, and Olivia start walking towards the barn.

"I wonder what it is!?" Shay says bouncing up and down, almost as excited as Ryhlie.

As they enter the barn, Shay lets Rhylie lead the way to find her mom.

EEK! I am so exctied! I wonder what you got!" Olivia says as she follows the girls to the barn. "Maybe it'll be something really big!"