Sign in to follow this  
colorfulhunter

Mustangs

Hello everyone!

I was just wondering what everyones opinion about Mustangs as hunter/jumpers was. I was looking into buying a Mustang, 3 years old and train him up to be a hunter and/or jumper. My question to you all is, do u think that a Mustang would have the good conformation to stand up to all of the other thoroughbreds and quarter horses in the competition? And as a Jumper, do u think that they would have the speed? With all of the training that i want to put into making the Mustang work, do u think that it would be worth it, or a waste of money? any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,

colorfulhunter [Cool]

Hello everyone!

I was just wondering what everyones opinion about Mustangs as hunter/jumpers was. I was looking into buying a Mustang, 3 years old and train him up to be a hunter and/or jumper. My question to you all is, do u think that a Mustang would have the good conformation to stand up to all of the other thoroughbreds and quarter horses in the competition? And as a Jumper, do u think that they would have the speed? With all of the training that i want to put into making the Mustang work, do u think that it would be worth it, or a waste of money? any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,

colorfulhunter [Cool]

I think for the most part you would be wasting your time.

Look at the breeds of the top hunter/jumpers out there...usually Dutch, German or TB.

YOu would have to have one **** of an eye and one miracle coming your way to get a mustang with the conformation and attitude to become a nice competition horse.

If you want a horse to just play with and ride around a few local spots...have some fun, try it. If you are looking at this potential horse as an investment...bad news bears.

I think for the most part you would be wasting your time.

Look at the breeds of the top hunter/jumpers out there...usually Dutch, German or TB.

YOu would have to have one **** of an eye and one miracle coming your way to get a mustang with the conformation and attitude to become a nice competition horse.

If you want a horse to just play with and ride around a few local spots...have some fun, try it. If you are looking at this potential horse as an investment...bad news bears.

Agreed with Frannie. Mustangs come in several different types dependent on the region where they were captured. There is the spanish type, gaited type, the QH type, the morgan type, and there is a thoroughbred type as well. Remember that both thoroughbreds and standardbreds contributed heavily to the wild gene pool early last century. Do some internet research and you will come up with some good information regarding the mustang types by capture area and you can narrow your adoption search.

Agreed with Frannie. Mustangs come in several different types dependent on the region where they were captured. There is the spanish type, gaited type, the QH type, the morgan type, and there is a thoroughbred type as well. Remember that both thoroughbreds and standardbreds contributed heavily to the wild gene pool early last century. Do some internet research and you will come up with some good information regarding the mustang types by capture area and you can narrow your adoption search.

I think that it would be great. The "right"(key word here) trained Mustange would be really good. I have a large mustang. He has great speed. He really kicks butt in jumpers. He also has a awsome high and wide jump (about 5 and 5). Many mustangs also have great conformation. They have strong feet and bones, which means that they can take the impact of high jumping. They are also very smart. They know where, why, how, and the whole scope on the jumping thing. However, they can always be a little too smart and need a challenge. I would recommend one. They are great. For hunters I think that they would also be really great. All the mustangs that I know of that have been trained have great change in gaits. I mean extended trot etc. Mine also has a beautiful pattern. Every judge emembers us even after a year. I think it would be a smart choice. This is just IMO.

I think that it would be great. The "right"(key word here) trained Mustange would be really good. I have a large mustang. He has great speed. He really kicks butt in jumpers. He also has a awsome high and wide jump (about 5 and 5). Many mustangs also have great conformation. They have strong feet and bones, which means that they can take the impact of high jumping. They are also very smart. They know where, why, how, and the whole scope on the jumping thing. However, they can always be a little too smart and need a challenge. I would recommend one. They are great. For hunters I think that they would also be really great. All the mustangs that I know of that have been trained have great change in gaits. I mean extended trot etc. Mine also has a beautiful pattern. Every judge emembers us even after a year. I think it would be a smart choice. This is just IMO.

Unless the mustang was absolutely gorgeous and had really good movement, I'm not sure that they would do so well in hunters, especially past "C" rated shows. Jumpers you could definitely do well, mustangs have speed, and they seem to have power too. But give it a try, if you're willing. ^^ Good luck!

Unless the mustang was absolutely gorgeous and had really good movement, I'm not sure that they would do so well in hunters, especially past "C" rated shows. Jumpers you could definitely do well, mustangs have speed, and they seem to have power too. But give it a try, if you're willing. ^^ Good luck!

It really depends on the horse. As other posters stated above, it depends on what breeds influenced the strain of mustang this guy is from. Look at the latest ads by the Mustang adoption agency (I can't remember the exact name). The biggest horse (centered) in the ad is hanging its legs and jumping horribly- not good for hunters or jumpers. Another horse in the background of the ad, however, is jumping with a very nice, tight, and square fromnt end- perfect for hunters and jumpers. So it really all depends on this individual horse. Your best bet is to have a trainer look at this horse with you and get his or her opinion. [smile]

It really depends on the horse. As other posters stated above, it depends on what breeds influenced the strain of mustang this guy is from. Look at the latest ads by the Mustang adoption agency (I can't remember the exact name). The biggest horse (centered) in the ad is hanging its legs and jumping horribly- not good for hunters or jumpers. Another horse in the background of the ad, however, is jumping with a very nice, tight, and square fromnt end- perfect for hunters and jumpers. So it really all depends on this individual horse. Your best bet is to have a trainer look at this horse with you and get his or her opinion. [smile]

i would go for it if i were you, who knows maybe you will get lucky and get nice horse. they are good horses, imo. they are smart, etc. i rode a mustang (i leased him for 2 years), who didn't do very well in hunters, but was good in jumpers. he was very fast, and very honest. if this one has pretty nice movement and such, i would go for it.

i would go for it if i were you, who knows maybe you will get lucky and get nice horse. they are good horses, imo. they are smart, etc. i rode a mustang (i leased him for 2 years), who didn't do very well in hunters, but was good in jumpers. he was very fast, and very honest. if this one has pretty nice movement and such, i would go for it.

I have two mustangs, they're ponies. Both jump with tight knees and have low headsets and floaty gates, so I think that a mustang would be a good competition horse, and i also think that they would make good race horses because of their speed, endurance, and hardiness.

I have two mustangs, they're ponies. Both jump with tight knees and have low headsets and floaty gates, so I think that a mustang would be a good competition horse, and i also think that they would make good race horses because of their speed, endurance, and hardiness.

My friend has a mustang, and even though he's pretty small he's good at jumping; I don't know how high she jumps on him in the saddle but when she's just lunge-jumping him or free-jumping him he goes way over HUGE jumps like they're nothing. They tend to be better at jumpers than hunters though, just because.

I could greatly disagree with monkeyboys however. Monkeyboys, you said "YOu would have to have one **** of an eye and one miracle coming your way to get a mustang with the conformation and attitude to become a nice competition horse." Mustangs can be "nice competition horses" very easily, and you don't need to have a miracle to purchase one that can do so well. You also said; "If you want a horse to just play with and ride around a few local spots..." That sort of offends me, imho it's like you're basically saying "oh yea mustangs are good for playing with and they're cute but they suck at bigger competetions than just tiny local ones here and there." It's just my opinion, but I find that really breed-stereotypical. Oh well. [Roll Eyes]

Anyways, I think you'd do good in jumpers. good luck [smileywavey]

My friend has a mustang, and even though he's pretty small he's good at jumping; I don't know how high she jumps on him in the saddle but when she's just lunge-jumping him or free-jumping him he goes way over HUGE jumps like they're nothing. They tend to be better at jumpers than hunters though, just because.

I could greatly disagree with monkeyboys however. Monkeyboys, you said "YOu would have to have one **** of an eye and one miracle coming your way to get a mustang with the conformation and attitude to become a nice competition horse." Mustangs can be "nice competition horses" very easily, and you don't need to have a miracle to purchase one that can do so well. You also said; "If you want a horse to just play with and ride around a few local spots..." That sort of offends me, imho it's like you're basically saying "oh yea mustangs are good for playing with and they're cute but they suck at bigger competetions than just tiny local ones here and there." It's just my opinion, but I find that really breed-stereotypical. Oh well. [Roll Eyes]

Anyways, I think you'd do good in jumpers. good luck [smileywavey]

Ability of becoming a hunter or jumper depends on the individual horse. Do some research and find some conformation incicators that are predisposed to good jumping form. Look for a horse with a good attitude.

A horse's breed is not the determining factor in its ability to succeed in a chosen discipline. I had a friend who's Keiger mustang was decent at jumping. Just like any horse, yours may not be destined for the Medal-Maclays or the Washington International, but he may be just fine for local-open-regional shows. USEF even offers a small horse hunter divisions, based on height.

And a comment on the jumpers: it's not about how "fast" (speed wise) your horse can go ... the way you shave off time, especially with a smaller horse, is by reducing the amount of land you cover in the arena.

Ability of becoming a hunter or jumper depends on the individual horse. Do some research and find some conformation incicators that are predisposed to good jumping form. Look for a horse with a good attitude.

A horse's breed is not the determining factor in its ability to succeed in a chosen discipline. I had a friend who's Keiger mustang was decent at jumping. Just like any horse, yours may not be destined for the Medal-Maclays or the Washington International, but he may be just fine for local-open-regional shows. USEF even offers a small horse hunter divisions, based on height.

And a comment on the jumpers: it's not about how "fast" (speed wise) your horse can go ... the way you shave off time, especially with a smaller horse, is by reducing the amount of land you cover in the arena.

I'd say go with it, and get a Mustang! Be a little different! I always encourage people to be just a "little different" in the show ring, and prove to people that you don't need a Warmblood or TB to do good. Get your Mustang, and go win some ribbons! [big Grin]

I'd say go with it, and get a Mustang! Be a little different! I always encourage people to be just a "little different" in the show ring, and prove to people that you don't need a Warmblood or TB to do good. Get your Mustang, and go win some ribbons! [big Grin]

I've seen a couple mustangs that made nice jumpers.

Haven't seen one yet that would be competitive in the hunter ring, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

If you want to do it, take a trainer with you who can help you evaluate the conformation you're seeing so that you get something that's at least built more for the job.

I've seen a couple mustangs that made nice jumpers.

Haven't seen one yet that would be competitive in the hunter ring, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

If you want to do it, take a trainer with you who can help you evaluate the conformation you're seeing so that you get something that's at least built more for the job.