Sign in to follow this  
HntrJumpr4Evr

Pictures from Today Please Critique....

now i'm no expert but...

I think you are sitting to far back witch is putting pressure in the center of her back. You probably want to sit more forward in the saddle so that you dont cause her back to hollow out or get "cold". JMO.

By the way she is SOOOOOO cute!!! [big Grin] Very, very pretty!! WOW! [shocked]

now i'm no expert but...

I think you are sitting to far back witch is putting pressure in the center of her back. You probably want to sit more forward in the saddle so that you dont cause her back to hollow out or get "cold". JMO.

By the way she is SOOOOOO cute!!! [big Grin] Very, very pretty!! WOW! [shocked]

quote:

Originally posted by starting-a-legacy:

quote:

Originally posted by goldentoes:

This horse may be a very good teacher for you, I think when you start getting it right the way the ride feels will change dramatically

I dont want to be mean, but you did ask for a critique so I'm telling you my opinion. I agree with what everyone else has said, with the saddle and position and tight-reins and loose legs and etc. However, I'm not sure this is the greatest horse to be a good teacher. You keep on saying how you NEED to have a tight rein on her, how she doesnt bend, how she doesnt slow down without a super-contacted hand, and you say she is "VERY VERY hyper". Eh... that is a no-no, imho. If you're still nervous on a horse why are you riding a hyper one who likes to Go and not Slow down?I'm not trying to be rude but I reccomend you seriously gain your confidence on a quiet, forgiving horse before you attempt to jump on this one. Learn your basics so they are perfect on a lesson or schooling horse, or a subtle horse owned by your friend or instructor before start jumping and stuff on this horse, because the reason why she's tense and hyper is probably because you are tense and your tensness is making her want to run from under you and get away from it. Horses can sense what you're feeling and you should have confidence before you scare her too much and make her even more "Very Very hyper." Sorry...that's just my opinion. She's cute anyways.

-Alicia (aka Rio)

There is no way im selling her. To me I feel perfectly confident on her. She's a well trained horse in my eyes. She needs work which I am very capable of doing. Her former owner ran her 24/7 warmed her up then ran her around. She needs work on going slow. Yes I asked for a critique(sp?) on my riding position and my horse. I did not ask for people to tell me I should get rid of her because she's not perfect. I hate to get offensive but this irks me. I can't go out and buy a perfect school horse or even borrow one. Nobody I know owns one you know why? Because they rather work there way to the top then buy there way to the top. As to everyone else ill try to get some pictures of me riding in the wintec.

quote:

quote:

This horse may be a very good teacher for you, I think when you start getting it right the way the ride feels will change dramatically

I dont want to be mean, but you did ask for a critique so I'm telling you my opinion. I agree with what everyone else has said, with the saddle and position and tight-reins and loose legs and etc. However, I'm not sure this is the greatest horse to be a good teacher. You keep on saying how you NEED to have a tight rein on her, how she doesnt bend, how she doesnt slow down without a super-contacted hand, and you say she is "VERY VERY hyper". Eh... that is a no-no, imho. If you're still nervous on a horse why are you riding a hyper one who likes to Go and not Slow down?I'm not trying to be rude but I reccomend you seriously gain your confidence on a quiet, forgiving horse before you attempt to jump on this one. Learn your basics so they are perfect on a lesson or schooling horse, or a subtle horse owned by your friend or instructor before start jumping and stuff on this horse, because the reason why she's tense and hyper is probably because you are tense and your tensness is making her want to run from under you and get away from it. Horses can sense what you're feeling and you should have confidence before you scare her too much and make her even more "Very Very hyper." Sorry...that's just my opinion. She's cute anyways.

-Alicia (aka Rio)

There is no way im selling her. To me I feel perfectly confident on her. She's a well trained horse in my eyes. She needs work which I am very capable of doing. Her former owner ran her 24/7 warmed her up then ran her around. She needs work on going slow. Yes I asked for a critique(sp?) on my riding position and my horse. I did not ask for people to tell me I should get rid of her because she's not perfect. I hate to get offensive but this irks me. I can't go out and buy a perfect school horse or even borrow one. Nobody I know owns one you know why? Because they rather work there way to the top then buy there way to the top. As to everyone else ill try to get some pictures of me riding in the wintec.

Being the owner and rider of a mare who was the same tense, hyper, hot, hollow, etc etc etc horse and being that tense, anxious, "bad" rider, I am going to speak up that the horse CAN be a good teacher.

Goldentoes is actually one of the people who has helped me throughout the years with my riding and my mare. Her advice is "golden". [Wink]

Being on a horse that is going to force you to ride correctly, IE relax, have the correct EFFECTIVE position, have soft hands, etc. is going to help b/c without these things, the horse isnt going to relax, soften, etc. You will know when you are riding correctly b/c the horse will respond accordingly.

Let me post some now embarrassing photos to show what I mean.

BEFORE:

-

-

-

AFTER:

-

-

-

Now I am FAR FAR FAR from perfect. However, I am softer, more correct than I was, and my mare shows the direct results of this. Also, proper instruction and properly fitting tack also played a part in this.

So yes, a horse like mine was and a horse like the OPs can prove to be a wonderful learning tool. It just takes a lot of hard work.

Being the owner and rider of a mare who was the same tense, hyper, hot, hollow, etc etc etc horse and being that tense, anxious, "bad" rider, I am going to speak up that the horse CAN be a good teacher.

Goldentoes is actually one of the people who has helped me throughout the years with my riding and my mare. Her advice is "golden". [Wink]

Being on a horse that is going to force you to ride correctly, IE relax, have the correct EFFECTIVE position, have soft hands, etc. is going to help b/c without these things, the horse isnt going to relax, soften, etc. You will know when you are riding correctly b/c the horse will respond accordingly.

Let me post some now embarrassing photos to show what I mean.

BEFORE:

-

-

-

AFTER:

-

-

-

Now I am FAR FAR FAR from perfect. However, I am softer, more correct than I was, and my mare shows the direct results of this. Also, proper instruction and properly fitting tack also played a part in this.

So yes, a horse like mine was and a horse like the OPs can prove to be a wonderful learning tool. It just takes a lot of hard work.

Wow your horse looks great!!! Me and Spirit have improved from when I got her. Im slowly learning how to get her to do what I want. She has taught me alot though. Even little things like keeping my hands even or she will move around and everything.

Wow your horse looks great!!! Me and Spirit have improved from when I got her. Im slowly learning how to get her to do what I want. She has taught me alot though. Even little things like keeping my hands even or she will move around and everything.

Okey dokey, Not trying to be rude but IMHO, your reins are way, way to short for even a high strung hot horse. COntact is one thing but that is almost a death grip. That is probably causing both you and your horse to be so tense. Her because she is fighting it and you because you are tensing up (as all smart people do when they get nervous) when she fights it. I think both of you would be a lot happier with contact, but not soooo much contact. I thionk after you both relax your riding will improve. Please do me a favor and try it, tell me how it goes. Give it a chance, atleast for a little bit. [Huggy]

Okey dokey, Not trying to be rude but IMHO, your reins are way, way to short for even a high strung hot horse. COntact is one thing but that is almost a death grip. That is probably causing both you and your horse to be so tense. Her because she is fighting it and you because you are tensing up (as all smart people do when they get nervous) when she fights it. I think both of you would be a lot happier with contact, but not soooo much contact. I thionk after you both relax your riding will improve. Please do me a favor and try it, tell me how it goes. Give it a chance, atleast for a little bit. [Huggy]

To dial me a jetson- She works well with those reins the length they are any longer and she gets quick won't listen to half halts won't listen to my leg or anything. I am working on it though

to the grey horse hank- Yes I didn't plan on jumping that day and the stirrup leathers won't go any shorter. But they do on my wintec so I can definetly shorten them for jumping.

To dial me a jetson- She works well with those reins the length they are any longer and she gets quick won't listen to half halts won't listen to my leg or anything. I am working on it though

to the grey horse hank- Yes I didn't plan on jumping that day and the stirrup leathers won't go any shorter. But they do on my wintec so I can definetly shorten them for jumping.

Im gonna post some pictures of when I first got her. These are in the wintec. So do you think it's still better than with my other saddle. DONT critique me. Like I said this was one of my first rides on her so I was still figuring out her quirks. -

-

Those were when I first got her. She would basically spook at everything she bucked some. Wouldn't pick up her right lead. I had NO clue how to make her listen. She would swerve and turn and move when I accidentaly put more pressure on her side. You couldn't make her turn a circle without it being a very sharp turn. Now she gets her right lead pretty much most of the time. She will make a round 20 meter circle. A round small circle and she doesn't make as much of a fuss when I ask her to move over or stay on the rail she quietly listens. I've only had her since March so I am still learning how to get the most effective ride out of her. But she's NO WAY near being perfect. I am going to a dressage clinic Saturday so ill get some pictures of that. But I do think the other saddle did pitch me forward and basically made my seat insecure which then made me tense.

[ 07-20-2005, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: -...X...- ]

Im gonna post some pictures of when I first got her. These are in the wintec. So do you think it's still better than with my other saddle. DONT critique me. Like I said this was one of my first rides on her so I was still figuring out her quirks. -

-

Those were when I first got her. She would basically spook at everything she bucked some. Wouldn't pick up her right lead. I had NO clue how to make her listen. She would swerve and turn and move when I accidentaly put more pressure on her side. You couldn't make her turn a circle without it being a very sharp turn. Now she gets her right lead pretty much most of the time. She will make a round 20 meter circle. A round small circle and she doesn't make as much of a fuss when I ask her to move over or stay on the rail she quietly listens. I've only had her since March so I am still learning how to get the most effective ride out of her. But she's NO WAY near being perfect. I am going to a dressage clinic Saturday so ill get some pictures of that. But I do think the other saddle did pitch me forward and basically made my seat insecure which then made me tense.

[ 07-20-2005, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: -...X...- ]

your stirrups need to come up there to really tell, and I think the saddle may be the wrong size for you- BUT it does seem to position your center of gravity closer to the correct spot, IMO.

your stirrups need to come up there to really tell, and I think the saddle may be the wrong size for you- BUT it does seem to position your center of gravity closer to the correct spot, IMO.

The stirrups on my wintec as of now are a whole lot shorter they are a hole or two shorter than my old saddle. I'd love to be able to have a saddle that fits me and her perfectly but im stuck with the two I have unfortunately.

The stirrups on my wintec as of now are a whole lot shorter they are a hole or two shorter than my old saddle. I'd love to be able to have a saddle that fits me and her perfectly but im stuck with the two I have unfortunately.

quote:

Originally posted by -...X...-:

quote:

quote:

-Alicia (aka Rio)

I never suggested you buy another horse or sell this one. In fact, I think you should keep her. But I did suggest you take lessons or something on another horse too. I have a friend who has a really high-strung horse who she needed a tight rein on a lot, but she also took lessons on a schooling horse who was very calm and advanced and so she learned to become a rider who was always confident and could ride a lot of horses off contact. Then, she got on her high-strung, OTTB and she knew what to do and the horse never tried to take off again. I dont know how exactly she did it, but I do know that the calmer lesson horse really helped her bond so well with her incredably spirited one. I never told you to sell her, of course I wouldnt, I couldnt sell the horse I love for a billion dollars.

As for "buying the way to the top" I am probably one of the poorest people when it comes to horses as you will ever meet. I'm free-leasing the horse I love, by working at the barn every single day of the year practically, including all winter, spring, summer and fall, and I dont even have enough money to buy or own a horse, and my parents are spending 2000 dollars a month on keeping my grandpa alive and keeping his car which he cant even drive, so THEY wont pay anything for a horse, and I have been saving up money for years and if I DID get a horse I wouldnt be able to get it for over 1000 dollars. I also work for lessons. I am sorry if I offended you, I never told you to sell your horse, but do not and I seriously mean it, do not tell me that I'm a rich girl who can buy her way to the top. That really really offends me because I work hard and I wasnt trying to be mean before.

quote:

quote:

quote:

-Alicia (aka Rio)

I never suggested you buy another horse or sell this one. In fact, I think you should keep her. But I did suggest you take lessons or something on another horse too. I have a friend who has a really high-strung horse who she needed a tight rein on a lot, but she also took lessons on a schooling horse who was very calm and advanced and so she learned to become a rider who was always confident and could ride a lot of horses off contact. Then, she got on her high-strung, OTTB and she knew what to do and the horse never tried to take off again. I dont know how exactly she did it, but I do know that the calmer lesson horse really helped her bond so well with her incredably spirited one. I never told you to sell her, of course I wouldnt, I couldnt sell the horse I love for a billion dollars.

As for "buying the way to the top" I am probably one of the poorest people when it comes to horses as you will ever meet. I'm free-leasing the horse I love, by working at the barn every single day of the year practically, including all winter, spring, summer and fall, and I dont even have enough money to buy or own a horse, and my parents are spending 2000 dollars a month on keeping my grandpa alive and keeping his car which he cant even drive, so THEY wont pay anything for a horse, and I have been saving up money for years and if I DID get a horse I wouldnt be able to get it for over 1000 dollars. I also work for lessons. I am sorry if I offended you, I never told you to sell your horse, but do not and I seriously mean it, do not tell me that I'm a rich girl who can buy her way to the top. That really really offends me because I work hard and I wasnt trying to be mean before.

Sorry I guess I kinda mis-read your post. I do now have access to a calm horse. I am taking 2 lessons a week on her and it has been helping. Let me rephrase it I do have another horse and he's a whole lot calmer than her but I refuse to ride him. But she has been getting better. I also think alot of it was my saddle.

Sorry I guess I kinda mis-read your post. I do now have access to a calm horse. I am taking 2 lessons a week on her and it has been helping. Let me rephrase it I do have another horse and he's a whole lot calmer than her but I refuse to ride him. But she has been getting better. I also think alot of it was my saddle.

I think whether or not the mare helps to teach you will have a lot to do with your mentality. If you don't find she makes you nervous mentally, and you're able to keep a relaxed mindset, you should be ok.

If you're the type of rider that gets kind of hung up when she gets quick, then you may not progress...

only you know that stuff for sure, really. Lessons on a slower/calmer horse will help you figure out that base position though [smile]

I think whether or not the mare helps to teach you will have a lot to do with your mentality. If you don't find she makes you nervous mentally, and you're able to keep a relaxed mindset, you should be ok.

If you're the type of rider that gets kind of hung up when she gets quick, then you may not progress...

only you know that stuff for sure, really. Lessons on a slower/calmer horse will help you figure out that base position though [smile]

quote:

I'm sorry too. I really didnt mean to be mean. I guess I'm sort of stressed right now, but it has nothing to do with you and I shouldnt have snapped at you. Besides, truthfully I think you guys look good together, looking back on the first few pictures. I guess I'm just jealous... i dont know, I've been in a grouchy mood for a while, I dont know what's gotten in to me. Sorry [Me Cry]

quote:

I'm sorry too. I really didnt mean to be mean. I guess I'm sort of stressed right now, but it has nothing to do with you and I shouldnt have snapped at you. Besides, truthfully I think you guys look good together, looking back on the first few pictures. I guess I'm just jealous... i dont know, I've been in a grouchy mood for a while, I dont know what's gotten in to me. Sorry [Me Cry]

quote:

quote:

I'm sorry too. I really didnt mean to be mean. I guess I'm sort of stressed right now, but it has nothing to do with you and I shouldnt have snapped at you. Besides, truthfully I think you guys look good together, looking back on the first few pictures. I guess I'm just jealous... i dont know, I've been in a grouchy mood for a while, I dont know what's gotten in to me. Sorry
[Me Cry]
It's okay don't worry. Im just lucky to have as good of horse as her. And she's NO where near perfect. My first horse reared/bucked/did NOT listen bolted she was dangerous basically.

quote:

quote:

I'm sorry too. I really didnt mean to be mean. I guess I'm sort of stressed right now, but it has nothing to do with you and I shouldnt have snapped at you. Besides, truthfully I think you guys look good together, looking back on the first few pictures. I guess I'm just jealous... i dont know, I've been in a grouchy mood for a while, I dont know what's gotten in to me. Sorry
[Me Cry]
It's okay don't worry. Im just lucky to have as good of horse as her. And she's NO where near perfect. My first horse reared/bucked/did NOT listen bolted she was dangerous basically.