Sign in to follow this  
bailey511

HELP! i'm new to hunters

My horse and I have been doing Dressage for the past year, but I've realized it's not for me or my horse. He's a very cute jumper and he loves jumping. (I've only longed him over jumps.) I'm going to start doing hunter/jumpers soo and already have an awesome trainer in line. The only thing is, I can only afford one lesson a week.I'll have totake my lessons on him. with us both bieng green, am I giong to make progress? Do you guys think that I should alternate between school horses and My horse? HELP!

My horse and I have been doing Dressage for the past year, but I've realized it's not for me or my horse. He's a very cute jumper and he loves jumping. (I've only longed him over jumps.) I'm going to start doing hunter/jumpers soo and already have an awesome trainer in line. The only thing is, I can only afford one lesson a week.I'll have totake my lessons on him. with us both bieng green, am I giong to make progress? Do you guys think that I should alternate between school horses and My horse? HELP!

I would ride your horse in every one of your lessons. Lessons once a week are perfectly fine, just make sure you write down what you did and some of the instructions and such, and then practice them untill your next lesson.

I would ride your horse in every one of your lessons. Lessons once a week are perfectly fine, just make sure you write down what you did and some of the instructions and such, and then practice them untill your next lesson.

As long as you ride your own horse in every lesson, one lesson per week is plenty. Welcome to hunters and have fun! [Wink]

As long as you ride your own horse in every lesson, one lesson per week is plenty. Welcome to hunters and have fun! [Wink]

quote:

My horse and I have been doing Dressage for the past year, but I've realized it's not for me or my horse

trader [Mad]

just kidding! [Razz] i ride dressage but its alot different from my horses last disipline(racing, lol) and i take all my lessons on him(i'm like u and can only afford a lesson a week) i take my lesson then work on everything we did in lessons when i ride on my own, then by the next lessons we're usally ready to move on to new/different exercises. But i do think when it comes to jumping you should maybe take a few lessons on a "school master" when you go over fences(not sure if u jumped before). i would put a rider green to jumping on a horse green to jumping, JMO [Wink]

quote:

My horse and I have been doing Dressage for the past year, but I've realized it's not for me or my horse

trader [Mad]

just kidding! [Razz] i ride dressage but its alot different from my horses last disipline(racing, lol) and i take all my lessons on him(i'm like u and can only afford a lesson a week) i take my lesson then work on everything we did in lessons when i ride on my own, then by the next lessons we're usally ready to move on to new/different exercises. But i do think when it comes to jumping you should maybe take a few lessons on a "school master" when you go over fences(not sure if u jumped before). i would put a rider green to jumping on a horse green to jumping, JMO [Wink]

I would start out taking lessons on one of the trainer's horses until you start getting comfortable jumping. Then, transition to jumping your own horse. In the meantime, you can start going over poles with your horse to get him used to the idea of going over objects calmly. Eventually, you can do whole courses of poles with your youngster. Let the trainer help you decide when to start jumping with your baby. Best of luck!

Tracy

I would start out taking lessons on one of the trainer's horses until you start getting comfortable jumping. Then, transition to jumping your own horse. In the meantime, you can start going over poles with your horse to get him used to the idea of going over objects calmly. Eventually, you can do whole courses of poles with your youngster. Let the trainer help you decide when to start jumping with your baby. Best of luck!

Tracy

I agree with tracy too- learn how to jump first, then start jumping with your horse [smile]

There's more to the transition to hunters than just jumping, so flat lessons on your horse would also be good [smile]

I agree with tracy too- learn how to jump first, then start jumping with your horse [smile]

There's more to the transition to hunters than just jumping, so flat lessons on your horse would also be good [smile]