Sign in to follow this  
ShastaBaby

Half chaps

I recently got a job working at an English barn and I'll be riding a lot. I only have one pair of tall boots, which won't be too awful comfy on hot summer days. So, i'm in the market for some half chaps, but haven't had much luck finding any that don't cost an arm and a leg.

I've tried eBay, SLT, dover, etc. and so far I haven't found any that fit within my price range. My price range runs from $20-30 or so. I just want a good quality pair of half chaps, any help is welcome! [Cool]

I recently got a job working at an English barn and I'll be riding a lot. I only have one pair of tall boots, which won't be too awful comfy on hot summer days. So, i'm in the market for some half chaps, but haven't had much luck finding any that don't cost an arm and a leg.

I've tried eBay, SLT, dover, etc. and so far I haven't found any that fit within my price range. My price range runs from $20-30 or so. I just want a good quality pair of half chaps, any help is welcome! [Cool]

Actually I got Barnstable ones and they continue to work well for me. I've had them for almost 2 years now, and they're still going strong. Mine were $35 at a tack shop at home, but you can get them on ebay fairly cheaply.

I do have Ariat Close Contact Half chaps also, and I got them on clearance for $50, so look around, you never know what you'll find.

Actually I got Barnstable ones and they continue to work well for me. I've had them for almost 2 years now, and they're still going strong. Mine were $35 at a tack shop at home, but you can get them on ebay fairly cheaply.

I do have Ariat Close Contact Half chaps also, and I got them on clearance for $50, so look around, you never know what you'll find.

quote:

Originally posted by LuvOfTheSport:

You won't get good quality half-chaps unless you pay an arm and a leg. Period.

Wow, well thanks for the optimism. I think it'll be really beneficial in helping me find some chaps. [Roll Eyes]

quote:

Wow, well thanks for the optimism. I think it'll be really beneficial in helping me find some chaps. [Roll Eyes]

I didn't pay an arm and leg for my half-chaps. I got them at a horse expo in MI at a great price ($30-ish).

I know that doesn't help you find any - but keep an eye on ebay and look at your local tack shops..

I didn't pay an arm and leg for my half-chaps. I got them at a horse expo in MI at a great price ($30-ish).

I know that doesn't help you find any - but keep an eye on ebay and look at your local tack shops..

Try Greenrivertack.com

My barn owner boughta pair of half chaps from there and they are very nice... ive used htem a couple of times when i couldnt find mine or i left them out i nthe rain [Crazy][bang Head]

Try Greenrivertack.com

My barn owner boughta pair of half chaps from there and they are very nice... ive used htem a couple of times when i couldnt find mine or i left them out i nthe rain [Crazy][bang Head]

I love the canvas or suede half-chaps for summer riding. It kind of defeats the "beat the heat" purpose if you are backed to being encased in leather. You can get the canvase ones (they do not look like canvas until you are pretty close by the way) at Dover Saddlery or Big Dee for about $40. the suede about $35. True the suede will probably not last beyond one summer but they are not costing $100 plus either.

Hope that give you a little help.

I love the canvas or suede half-chaps for summer riding. It kind of defeats the "beat the heat" purpose if you are backed to being encased in leather. You can get the canvase ones (they do not look like canvas until you are pretty close by the way) at Dover Saddlery or Big Dee for about $40. the suede about $35. True the suede will probably not last beyond one summer but they are not costing $100 plus either.

Hope that give you a little help.

Ariat makes the best half-chaps, in my opinion. I think I got mine for around $50, and I've owned them for several years. I've since stopped wearing them, though, because I prefer to ride simply in jeans and paddock boots. I've never had a problem wearing my leather half-chaps during the summer, and I've found that half-chaps made out of alternative materials (like suede) tend to fall apart.

Ariat makes the best half-chaps, in my opinion. I think I got mine for around $50, and I've owned them for several years. I've since stopped wearing them, though, because I prefer to ride simply in jeans and paddock boots. I've never had a problem wearing my leather half-chaps during the summer, and I've found that half-chaps made out of alternative materials (like suede) tend to fall apart.

quote:

So untrue. Yes ok, there ARE the really expensive ones out there that some of the GP riders use but there also ones which aren't so expensive.

I got my half chaps for ?7 (which is about $14) over two years ago and they still fit fine and are in great condition. Also, I've got some other chaps that are really good quality and are lined with wool. These were only about ?15 (about $30)

quote:

So untrue. Yes ok, there ARE the really expensive ones out there that some of the GP riders use but there also ones which aren't so expensive.

I got my half chaps for ?7 (which is about $14) over two years ago and they still fit fine and are in great condition. Also, I've got some other chaps that are really good quality and are lined with wool. These were only about ?15 (about $30)

i hate the ariat all around half chaps...mine were 90 at the tack store, however i just looked on ebay and there were some ranging from 20-117...if you really want a good pair i would spend a little bit more on them so that you dont' have to go out and buy another pair since you are going to be riding alot... [Jump]

i hate the ariat all around half chaps...mine were 90 at the tack store, however i just looked on ebay and there were some ranging from 20-117...if you really want a good pair i would spend a little bit more on them so that you dont' have to go out and buy another pair since you are going to be riding alot... [Jump]

Didn't have time to read the whole thread, but Dover has a sale on riding sport half chaps. I think they're about 30. I can send you the code if you want. (unless you get their catalogs. you migh have seen em) also, country supply has some for... $21 I think? I don't know how good they are. here's the link Anyone know if this is a good brand?

Didn't have time to read the whole thread, but Dover has a sale on riding sport half chaps. I think they're about 30. I can send you the code if you want. (unless you get their catalogs. you migh have seen em) also, country supply has some for... $21 I think? I don't know how good they are. here's the link Anyone know if this is a good brand?

You basicly just contradicted yourself. If you want a nice pair of half chaps why not spend the money now so you don't have to keep buying new ones. Good luck finding a pair for that price range. Why don't you get $10 more and get a pair of Barnstable half chaps? They have 4 velcro and they come in leather or suede. I have them and they've worked out perfectly for me.

You basicly just contradicted yourself. If you want a nice pair of half chaps why not spend the money now so you don't have to keep buying new ones. Good luck finding a pair for that price range. Why don't you get $10 more and get a pair of Barnstable half chaps? They have 4 velcro and they come in leather or suede. I have them and they've worked out perfectly for me.

Oh yah, this place has some other ones for about 30 too. I think that if you can get em cheap enough, as long as they last you a while, why not? Maybe it's more money in the long run, but if you need them real quick and can't save up the money real quick, just go for the cheapest you can find and hopefully they're good quality [big Grin]

Oh yah, this place has some other ones for about 30 too. I think that if you can get em cheap enough, as long as they last you a while, why not? Maybe it's more money in the long run, but if you need them real quick and can't save up the money real quick, just go for the cheapest you can find and hopefully they're good quality [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by professionalameture:

Didn't have time to read the whole thread, but Dover has a sale on riding sport half chaps. I think they're about 30. I can send you the code if you want. (unless you get their catalogs. you migh have seen em) also, country supply has some for... $21 I think? I don't know how good they are.
Anyone know if this is a good brand?

I have the riding sport ones and I love them. They held up really well. Shires also sells cheap ones.

quote:

Originally posted by professionalameture:

Didn't have time to read the whole thread, but Dover has a sale on riding sport half chaps. I think they're about 30. I can send you the code if you want. (unless you get their catalogs. you migh have seen em) also, country supply has some for... $21 I think? I don't know how good they are.
Anyone know if this is a good brand?

I have the riding sport ones and I love them. They held up really well. Shires also sells cheap ones.