Sign in to follow this  
Fable

personal a relationship with your trainer, How Far?

It all depends on the people involved. My trainer and I have become great friends since she started training me. But we were close in age and loved riding together.

It all depends on the people involved. My trainer and I have become great friends since she started training me. But we were close in age and loved riding together.

My trainer is one of the best friends I will *ever* have. She's amazing. She wants everyone to be comfortable so everything is relaxed she tries to be everyones friend. She knows everything about us it seems like. If we're upset she wants to talk to us about it, if we're mad she was to know if she can do anything. She would honestly do anything for any of us.

My trainer is one of the best friends I will *ever* have. She's amazing. She wants everyone to be comfortable so everything is relaxed she tries to be everyones friend. She knows everything about us it seems like. If we're upset she wants to talk to us about it, if we're mad she was to know if she can do anything. She would honestly do anything for any of us.

I agree with you Fable (on the question that is)

I'v always wondered if my relationship with my trainer was out of the ordinary. She knows me front and backwards. But sometimes im her friend,buisness partner,student,daughter or confidant. and Im not sure if that makes lessons with her harder to have or easier to have.

I fear that if i get to close to her that our trainer/student relationship will get complicatd.

there are times were i need a friend and she's their and then there are times when i want a trainer and she's a mother ( my parents got divorce when i was 11 and one stopped caring completely then picked up a drinking problem and the other tried to be a best friend instead of a parent. There was no guidence no teaching right from wrong no parental instruction AT ALL!) so se took on the role of my mom as well as everything else. (which don't get me wrong I will forever be greatful to her for that)

but i feel it gets in the way of my training!

I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!! [Me Cry]

[ 08-14-2005, 12:55 AM: Message edited by: Taylor Husting ]

I agree with you Fable (on the question that is)

I'v always wondered if my relationship with my trainer was out of the ordinary. She knows me front and backwards. But sometimes im her friend,buisness partner,student,daughter or confidant. and Im not sure if that makes lessons with her harder to have or easier to have.

I fear that if i get to close to her that our trainer/student relationship will get complicatd.

there are times were i need a friend and she's their and then there are times when i want a trainer and she's a mother ( my parents got divorce when i was 11 and one stopped caring completely then picked up a drinking problem and the other tried to be a best friend instead of a parent. There was no guidence no teaching right from wrong no parental instruction AT ALL!) so se took on the role of my mom as well as everything else. (which don't get me wrong I will forever be greatful to her for that)

but i feel it gets in the way of my training!

I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!! [Me Cry]

[ 08-14-2005, 12:55 AM: Message edited by: Taylor Husting ]

My trainers only 28 so I feel I can really connect with her and she understands whats going on. If there's a show that we have to leave for really early I will stay over with a bunch of other boarders my age.

My trainers only 28 so I feel I can really connect with her and she understands whats going on. If there's a show that we have to leave for really early I will stay over with a bunch of other boarders my age.

My trainer is one of my best friends. She is always there for me. I think that it is great to have your trainer be your best friend too. I find it easier knowing I can count on my trainer to be there for the rough times, not just move on to the next case.

My trainer is one of my best friends. She is always there for me. I think that it is great to have your trainer be your best friend too. I find it easier knowing I can count on my trainer to be there for the rough times, not just move on to the next case.

Absolutley one of my good friends....

I share everything with her. I'm 13, shes 20. I can tell her about guys, school problems, fights with my parents.... the whole package.

I think its great to have a good relationship with your trainer, it makes the whole experience alot more..fun!

Absolutley one of my good friends....

I share everything with her. I'm 13, shes 20. I can tell her about guys, school problems, fights with my parents.... the whole package.

I think its great to have a good relationship with your trainer, it makes the whole experience alot more..fun!

I agree..my trainer is in her 30's but she rocks! We can talk to her about anything..she listens to anything we have to say. She will push us in lessons but all she wants is for us to do our best and achieve our goals. So I think its great to have your trainer as a best friend! I love my trainer! She is the best! [Razz]

I agree..my trainer is in her 30's but she rocks! We can talk to her about anything..she listens to anything we have to say. She will push us in lessons but all she wants is for us to do our best and achieve our goals. So I think its great to have your trainer as a best friend! I love my trainer! She is the best! [Razz]

I love my trainer, she lives down the road from me so we see each other often. We go to shows together (not as participants, just to watch) and clinics, and do favors for one another while we're shopping in town. I've also been inside her house and eaten her food, lol. Since I don't depend on her to work with my horse anymore, we've become more like friends and dropped the trainer/client relationship.

I don't think your relationship with someone you're actively training with should become too intensely friendly though, because that means a split (if one every occurs) will be even tougher, and you'll also begin to interpret her suggestions more personally. Just my opinion.

Jennifer

I love my trainer, she lives down the road from me so we see each other often. We go to shows together (not as participants, just to watch) and clinics, and do favors for one another while we're shopping in town. I've also been inside her house and eaten her food, lol. Since I don't depend on her to work with my horse anymore, we've become more like friends and dropped the trainer/client relationship.

I don't think your relationship with someone you're actively training with should become too intensely friendly though, because that means a split (if one every occurs) will be even tougher, and you'll also begin to interpret her suggestions more personally. Just my opinion.

Jennifer

Jac is as much my friend as my instructor, and I believe this means I get better lessons from her. She knows me well, and knows how far to push me etc. She will also be brutally honest with me, because she isn't afraid of offending me since I'm not a paying customer (I earn lessons from doing yard work for her).

I suppose some people would think it's strange, since I'm 19 and she's 48 and I count her among my friends. She's younger than my dad by two days, and older than my mum, but it's irrelevent to me. Sometimes it's nice to have someone to 'mother' me a bit, not saying that my own mum doesn't though!

Karen xx

Jac is as much my friend as my instructor, and I believe this means I get better lessons from her. She knows me well, and knows how far to push me etc. She will also be brutally honest with me, because she isn't afraid of offending me since I'm not a paying customer (I earn lessons from doing yard work for her).

I suppose some people would think it's strange, since I'm 19 and she's 48 and I count her among my friends. She's younger than my dad by two days, and older than my mum, but it's irrelevent to me. Sometimes it's nice to have someone to 'mother' me a bit, not saying that my own mum doesn't though!

Karen xx

I absolutely love the trainer I used for a short time. We still are close, but my horse was injured, so I hadn't been able to ride with her, and we ended up having to move from the barn where she taught. She helped us every day to fix my horse's bandage, never once asking for a payment. We had long talks about how hard it is to have a horse out of commission and not know whether or not he'll return to his old self. She really supported me and helped when I was upset. Her and my mom still talk, and she comes out to the new barn quite a bit too. I'll probably start riding for her again soon. But she's like family now.

As for the man who is teaching me about cutting now, I don't really refer to him as the trainer, even though he mainly helps a ton with training and learning all kinds of new stuff. He's a lot like a mentor really, and he treats everybody like family. Probably one of the nicest most helpful people I have ever met. He makes it so much more fun than any real "boarding facility" I've been at. He never really gets steamed for mistakes and is always cuttin up. It's nice. It's really laid back and so much fun, but at the end of the day I always walk away feeling like I learned a lot.

I absolutely love the trainer I used for a short time. We still are close, but my horse was injured, so I hadn't been able to ride with her, and we ended up having to move from the barn where she taught. She helped us every day to fix my horse's bandage, never once asking for a payment. We had long talks about how hard it is to have a horse out of commission and not know whether or not he'll return to his old self. She really supported me and helped when I was upset. Her and my mom still talk, and she comes out to the new barn quite a bit too. I'll probably start riding for her again soon. But she's like family now.

As for the man who is teaching me about cutting now, I don't really refer to him as the trainer, even though he mainly helps a ton with training and learning all kinds of new stuff. He's a lot like a mentor really, and he treats everybody like family. Probably one of the nicest most helpful people I have ever met. He makes it so much more fun than any real "boarding facility" I've been at. He never really gets steamed for mistakes and is always cuttin up. It's nice. It's really laid back and so much fun, but at the end of the day I always walk away feeling like I learned a lot.

My trainer is closest in age to my mom...but i love her and she's amazing. She's just like my mom! I trust my trainer 100%, and i feel most comfortable with her than i have with any of my others i've had in the past. She'd never ask me to do anything dangerous.

quote:

I'm in agreement with you lilmissme! I do count my trainer amoung my friends, but freindship shouldn't need an age limit, you know? [smiley Wavey]

My trainer is closest in age to my mom...but i love her and she's amazing. She's just like my mom! I trust my trainer 100%, and i feel most comfortable with her than i have with any of my others i've had in the past. She'd never ask me to do anything dangerous.

quote:

I'm in agreement with you lilmissme! I do count my trainer amoung my friends, but freindship shouldn't need an age limit, you know? [smiley Wavey]

I think trainers should remain professional- being friendly is fine, but in my experience when people are "close" with trainers it's a breeding ground for lots of drama.

that said, I am friends with someone I hope to have help me, but it's not a "the trainer at the barn" sort of situation, more like once ina while help.

I think trainers should remain professional- being friendly is fine, but in my experience when people are "close" with trainers it's a breeding ground for lots of drama.

that said, I am friends with someone I hope to have help me, but it's not a "the trainer at the barn" sort of situation, more like once ina while help.