Sign in to follow this  
live2rideEquus

Pictures (critique/comments)

Hello Everyone:

This is my first time posting pictures, so I hope this works! Just to give you a little background info...my horse was lame when I went out for a ride on Monday, so I decided to ride this guy. He is a free-lease training project. His owner is completely afraid of him, so I am going to be training him, hopefully for dressage, but I haven't decided yet. He has only been ridden 6-8 times, TOPS and out of that I have only ridden him 3 times. The arena was wet and sloppy, so I rode in this little field out back, so I didn't do much with collecting him and really getting him to work...I just wanted to see how he would do under an english saddle. Critique/comment if you want to, just bear in mind this was a hack and a ?get to know the horse? ride, not a training ride, so they aren?t the greatest pictures. Any tips/pointers you have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for looking!

Chelle

1. At the walk.

-

2. Trotting down the "diagonal"

-

3. Trot

-

4. Trot

-

5. Trot (He has a pretty nice trot....nice and smooth)

-

6. Another Trot Picture

-

...More to come...

Hello Everyone:

This is my first time posting pictures, so I hope this works! Just to give you a little background info...my horse was lame when I went out for a ride on Monday, so I decided to ride this guy. He is a free-lease training project. His owner is completely afraid of him, so I am going to be training him, hopefully for dressage, but I haven't decided yet. He has only been ridden 6-8 times, TOPS and out of that I have only ridden him 3 times. The arena was wet and sloppy, so I rode in this little field out back, so I didn't do much with collecting him and really getting him to work...I just wanted to see how he would do under an english saddle. Critique/comment if you want to, just bear in mind this was a hack and a ?get to know the horse? ride, not a training ride, so they aren?t the greatest pictures. Any tips/pointers you have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for looking!

Chelle

1. At the walk.

-

2. Trotting down the "diagonal"

-

3. Trot

-

4. Trot

-

5. Trot (He has a pretty nice trot....nice and smooth)

-

6. Another Trot Picture

-

...More to come...

...2nd batch...

7. ANOTHER Trot Picture

-

8. Trot (different angle)

-

9. Canter

-

10. Canter

-

11. It LOOKS like he was doing a bit of a half pass here. I forget what I was trying to do?.

-

12. First encounter with those ?horse killing boards??.those are REALLY scary ya know?..

-

Done! Post away!

[smiley Wavey]

...2nd batch...

7. ANOTHER Trot Picture

-

8. Trot (different angle)

-

9. Canter

-

10. Canter

-

11. It LOOKS like he was doing a bit of a half pass here. I forget what I was trying to do?.

-

12. First encounter with those ?horse killing boards??.those are REALLY scary ya know?..

-

Done! Post away!

[smiley Wavey]

He is really adorable.

My only "critique" is that if he's only been ridden 6-8 times, I wouldn't canter him just yet. There's no way he's balanced enough at this point. And I'm sure you don't want to rush him in his training.

I think you're doing fantastic on him though. He is surely a gorgeous horse!

He is really adorable.

My only "critique" is that if he's only been ridden 6-8 times, I wouldn't canter him just yet. There's no way he's balanced enough at this point. And I'm sure you don't want to rush him in his training.

I think you're doing fantastic on him though. He is surely a gorgeous horse!

spacytracy-Thanks for the comments. I understand where you are coming from with the cantering thing. There is a fine line with that for me with this horse...he is 6 years old this winter. ORIGINALLY he was used as a stud (hence the ugly brand) but apparently my little guy doesn't like girls, so they gelded him. His owner bought him with the intention of using him for carriage driving, but for whatever reason she is petrified of this horse (I have no idea why he is the sweetest, most willing boy in the world). She has basically ?given? him to me to train, so I have to pay all expenses, but I don?t have to buy him, which works just fine for me. We took him on a week-long trail ride just for exposure and he did beautifully under western saddle and I fell completely in love with him. I rode for probably an hour and only cantered him twice along the back stretch, just to see how he would do. And you are correct, I do intend to take the training slow?he?s just so smart. I have been working with this guy in the round pen a lot. Thanks for the comments! They are appreciated.

redroad-He is a purebred Canadian horse. He is a little stocky, but I think with some work and conditioning he may look not too bad. I am not 100% struck on his conformation, but his attitude and willingness has compensated for that. You can?t really tell in the pictures, but his forelock is almost down to his nose. Everybody wants me to cut it off, but I don?t have the heart to. I suppose I will have to eventually, but it gives him character for now!

spacytracy-Thanks for the comments. I understand where you are coming from with the cantering thing. There is a fine line with that for me with this horse...he is 6 years old this winter. ORIGINALLY he was used as a stud (hence the ugly brand) but apparently my little guy doesn't like girls, so they gelded him. His owner bought him with the intention of using him for carriage driving, but for whatever reason she is petrified of this horse (I have no idea why he is the sweetest, most willing boy in the world). She has basically ?given? him to me to train, so I have to pay all expenses, but I don?t have to buy him, which works just fine for me. We took him on a week-long trail ride just for exposure and he did beautifully under western saddle and I fell completely in love with him. I rode for probably an hour and only cantered him twice along the back stretch, just to see how he would do. And you are correct, I do intend to take the training slow?he?s just so smart. I have been working with this guy in the round pen a lot. Thanks for the comments! They are appreciated.

redroad-He is a purebred Canadian horse. He is a little stocky, but I think with some work and conditioning he may look not too bad. I am not 100% struck on his conformation, but his attitude and willingness has compensated for that. You can?t really tell in the pictures, but his forelock is almost down to his nose. Everybody wants me to cut it off, but I don?t have the heart to. I suppose I will have to eventually, but it gives him character for now!

Gotcha. I think you're on the exact right track with him, then.

Here's another thing that struck me. She's having you pay all the expenses, and she gets a trained horse out of it?!?!? Even though you love doing it, you're doing work for her and LOSING money on it (to pay for his expenses). She should at the least pay that, even if she doesn't pay you.

Just my opinion. I'll shut up now. [smile]

Here's another thing that struck me. She's having you pay all the expenses, and she gets a trained horse out of it?!?!? Even though you love doing it, you're doing work for her and LOSING money on it (to pay for his expenses). She should at the least pay that, even if she doesn't pay you.

Just my opinion. I'll shut up now. [smile]

quote:

Originally posted by spacytracy:

Just my opinion. I'll shut up now.
[smile]

Hello Again:

Yes, I am sure it sounds like i'm getting the short end of the stick with this. The thing is, she is eventually going to sell the horse to me, she just doesn't want to right now. I think she has this idea that she's going to wake up one morning and magically not be afraid of this horse. She took him for a month in August to see how he'd progressed and she didn't do anything with him. She had excuses like "it was too hot", "it was too cold", "it was too windy", "it was too this, or that". So basically i'm training my future horse while somebody else holds the papers for him. And I don't have the money to buy him right now any way, so it doesn't really matter. All i'm waiting for is her to say she doesn't want him anymore. It's hard to understand the situation when you're not in it, but this woman is scared STIFF of him. And she has been around horses all her life. But for some reason she can't touch this horse without jittering around. And he feeds off of her and gets extremely nervous and will rear and flip out on her, which makes the situation even WORSE. I'm just waiting for her to realize all that and then i'm set. Right now I have two horses and have only paid for one of them. She has $ 8,000.00 sunk into a horse that she isn't even using.

I hope that makes sense. lol I suppose it does sound like I?m getting shafted. To her defense, she has offered to pay for expenses like his shoes and vaccines, etc. I chalk it up to: If I were paying to lease a horse or free-leasing and paying expenses, what difference does it make? I?m still paying one way or another. Sorry for the storybook!! [smile]

[ 09-21-2005, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: live2rideEquus ]

quote:

Originally posted by spacytracy:

Just my opinion. I'll shut up now.
[smile]

Hello Again:

Yes, I am sure it sounds like i'm getting the short end of the stick with this. The thing is, she is eventually going to sell the horse to me, she just doesn't want to right now. I think she has this idea that she's going to wake up one morning and magically not be afraid of this horse. She took him for a month in August to see how he'd progressed and she didn't do anything with him. She had excuses like "it was too hot", "it was too cold", "it was too windy", "it was too this, or that". So basically i'm training my future horse while somebody else holds the papers for him. And I don't have the money to buy him right now any way, so it doesn't really matter. All i'm waiting for is her to say she doesn't want him anymore. It's hard to understand the situation when you're not in it, but this woman is scared STIFF of him. And she has been around horses all her life. But for some reason she can't touch this horse without jittering around. And he feeds off of her and gets extremely nervous and will rear and flip out on her, which makes the situation even WORSE. I'm just waiting for her to realize all that and then i'm set. Right now I have two horses and have only paid for one of them. She has $ 8,000.00 sunk into a horse that she isn't even using.

I hope that makes sense. lol I suppose it does sound like I?m getting shafted. To her defense, she has offered to pay for expenses like his shoes and vaccines, etc. I chalk it up to: If I were paying to lease a horse or free-leasing and paying expenses, what difference does it make? I?m still paying one way or another. Sorry for the storybook!! [smile]

[ 09-21-2005, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: live2rideEquus ]

I really like the look of him. Im sure he will make a great dressage mound someday. He looks like he is progressing nice and slow with someone who cares for him. I think that is the best way to train a horse. Keep up the good work and keep those pictures comming. What is his name?

I really like the look of him. Im sure he will make a great dressage mound someday. He looks like he is progressing nice and slow with someone who cares for him. I think that is the best way to train a horse. Keep up the good work and keep those pictures comming. What is his name?

quote:

Originally posted by Rachel on Ginger:

Hello:

Thanks for the kind words. I always question myself with how I am doing. His name is Molson (as in Molson Canadian, the beer [Roll Eyes] ) He's such a good boy!! lol

quote:

Originally posted by Rachel on Ginger:

Hello:

Thanks for the kind words. I always question myself with how I am doing. His name is Molson (as in Molson Canadian, the beer [Roll Eyes] ) He's such a good boy!! lol

Oh my goodness he's a handsome boy. The name is cute, if you don't think of what he's named after. lol. I love his trot, it looks nice. He looks really poweful. Kudos to you btw. I think what you're doing is a great idea. I hope you have fun with him. Please update us on his training as often as possible. I want to see what this boy can do! And more pics of course...I <3 pics!

April

Oh my goodness he's a handsome boy. The name is cute, if you don't think of what he's named after. lol. I love his trot, it looks nice. He looks really poweful. Kudos to you btw. I think what you're doing is a great idea. I hope you have fun with him. Please update us on his training as often as possible. I want to see what this boy can do! And more pics of course...I <3 pics!

April

He's is gorgoues. He looks so powerful yet kind. lol. I think he'll be great for dressage and I cangradulate you on taking him on!

I just wanted to say this about you buying him after you train him for her. I had a friend do that once and the lady uped the horses' price $3,000. Aren't you worried she'll want more for him once she sees how good he is? Or is she a very close friend/relative?

He's is gorgoues. He looks so powerful yet kind. lol. I think he'll be great for dressage and I cangradulate you on taking him on!

I just wanted to say this about you buying him after you train him for her. I had a friend do that once and the lady uped the horses' price $3,000. Aren't you worried she'll want more for him once she sees how good he is? Or is she a very close friend/relative?

Hello everyone and thanks again for the kind words and encouragement. I really appreciate it.

hunterjumper06 - I will hopefully post pictures now seeing as I know how to do it. I just need to bribe someone to take pictures for me. My mom took these and lots of them had legs cut off, or the horse had no head (or I had no head!!!). It is hard to take action shots, especially when you don't know what you are doing or when you don't know much about horses!

Jumpin_Jena - I actually haven't even measured him yet that's a good question. I measured my horse last year I don't know why I never even measured him. I am sure I have been told his height, but I just can't remember. I will measure him next time i'm out! As for jumping, I would like to start him with that eventually. He has had a late start with everything anyway, but I think it would be nice to round him out with some jumping training. I want at LEAST 2-3 SOLID years of ground training, flatwork and/or dressage first though. Jumping isn't an overly huge priority with this guy because I have my other horse for that.

HunterJumper7889 - That's a good question about the price. I am trusting this lady, and I honestly don't think she will take advantage of me. In my family, my dad didn't like horses and my mom is scared of them (she won't touch them with a 10 foot pole) My mom's two sisters used to show and my grandparents have had horses for decades (my first "ride" was with my grandpa at 6 months old!). So right now it is only my grandpa and I that like horses in our family. This lady that owns Molson is my aunt's age, and when they were teenagers/in their early twenties my g-pa used to trailer my Aunt's horses and this lady?s (Molson?s owner) horse up to the mountains almost every weekend so that they could all ride up there. Because of that she has a real respect for my g-pa and our family (she is almost like family) and that's why she offered the horse to me for training. She knows that he will be treated well and that he won't be rushed. He had been a pasture bum for about a year and she wanted someone to work with him because she was so scared of him. So I am not overly worried about her upping the price. I had mentioned earlier that she took him for about a month this summer since I wasn't going to be able to work with him and she never used him. She's too scared. Only time will tell. I have faith in her though.

Thanks everyone for your concern and comments. If anyone else has critiques (good or bad....I know my riding's a bit rusty lately) or comments I would be grateful to hear them! Sorry once again for the story book!

HAGD

Chelle

Hello everyone and thanks again for the kind words and encouragement. I really appreciate it.

hunterjumper06 - I will hopefully post pictures now seeing as I know how to do it. I just need to bribe someone to take pictures for me. My mom took these and lots of them had legs cut off, or the horse had no head (or I had no head!!!). It is hard to take action shots, especially when you don't know what you are doing or when you don't know much about horses!

Jumpin_Jena - I actually haven't even measured him yet that's a good question. I measured my horse last year I don't know why I never even measured him. I am sure I have been told his height, but I just can't remember. I will measure him next time i'm out! As for jumping, I would like to start him with that eventually. He has had a late start with everything anyway, but I think it would be nice to round him out with some jumping training. I want at LEAST 2-3 SOLID years of ground training, flatwork and/or dressage first though. Jumping isn't an overly huge priority with this guy because I have my other horse for that.

HunterJumper7889 - That's a good question about the price. I am trusting this lady, and I honestly don't think she will take advantage of me. In my family, my dad didn't like horses and my mom is scared of them (she won't touch them with a 10 foot pole) My mom's two sisters used to show and my grandparents have had horses for decades (my first "ride" was with my grandpa at 6 months old!). So right now it is only my grandpa and I that like horses in our family. This lady that owns Molson is my aunt's age, and when they were teenagers/in their early twenties my g-pa used to trailer my Aunt's horses and this lady?s (Molson?s owner) horse up to the mountains almost every weekend so that they could all ride up there. Because of that she has a real respect for my g-pa and our family (she is almost like family) and that's why she offered the horse to me for training. She knows that he will be treated well and that he won't be rushed. He had been a pasture bum for about a year and she wanted someone to work with him because she was so scared of him. So I am not overly worried about her upping the price. I had mentioned earlier that she took him for about a month this summer since I wasn't going to be able to work with him and she never used him. She's too scared. Only time will tell. I have faith in her though.

Thanks everyone for your concern and comments. If anyone else has critiques (good or bad....I know my riding's a bit rusty lately) or comments I would be grateful to hear them! Sorry once again for the story book!

HAGD

Chelle