Sign in to follow this  
Alexandra Marie

help!!! please post!!! ~pics~

Hey everyone! [smiley Wavey]

I have a small favor to ask! I am very, very, very new to this discipline(english) and need some pointers. I'll write down my thoughts, or questions, and then maybe you could confirm, critique, or help out a little bit? Alright, here we go! Thanks!

-

This is my horse, Magic. He has been ridden English before, so he probably knows more than I do. [Duh] Is the bit in his mouth too loose in this pic?

-

We're just riding bareback here, but where am I supposed to keep my hands?

f.y.i.-i've read through the 4-h handbook on english, and it's helped me a lot! however, I'm used to riding western(even though i despise it)and now i finally have a chance to ride english, and I don't know how. very frusterating. [Confused]

-

Here's a better(well sorta) pic of my horse, Magic. He's thoroughbred/arabian.

Thank you guys! I need all tips and support plans!

you guys rock! happy new year!!! [big Grin][Yay]

Hey everyone! [smiley Wavey]

I have a small favor to ask! I am very, very, very new to this discipline(english) and need some pointers. I'll write down my thoughts, or questions, and then maybe you could confirm, critique, or help out a little bit? Alright, here we go! Thanks!

-

This is my horse, Magic. He has been ridden English before, so he probably knows more than I do. [Duh] Is the bit in his mouth too loose in this pic?

-

We're just riding bareback here, but where am I supposed to keep my hands?

f.y.i.-i've read through the 4-h handbook on english, and it's helped me a lot! however, I'm used to riding western(even though i despise it)and now i finally have a chance to ride english, and I don't know how. very frusterating. [Confused]

-

Here's a better(well sorta) pic of my horse, Magic. He's thoroughbred/arabian.

Thank you guys! I need all tips and support plans!

you guys rock! happy new year!!! [big Grin][Yay]

Hi! Your horse is a cutie. Don't worry about 'confusing' your horse with English tack... to your horse, they're just saddles! (Even though English and western saddles distribute weight differently, I rode my horse in a western saddle for the first time in her life last fall, and she didn't even react, and I've exercised straight western horses in an English saddle before [Wink] )

That being said, your bit does seem a little low (not 'loose') in your horse's mouth. The picture is sort of blurry, but you want the bit to form at least one or two wrinkles in the corner of your horse's mouth. The way you have the bit now, there is the possibility that you will inadvertantly bang him in the teeth and cause him to hollow out and toss his head.

You do need to raise your hands - there should be a clear line from elbow to bit. At the moment, you are breaking this line and encouraging your horse to strain his head above the vertical. My advice is to bring your hands up by at least two inches, and ride with 'hotdog' hands, not 'hamburger' hands (more commonly referred to as 'piano hands' - in the picture, you are carrying your hands incorrectly. That is, turned down and flat.)

An even better book for you to read would be The United States Pony Club Guide to Beginning Horsemanship. It's packed with helpful illustrations and concisely explains the basics of English equitation.

Good luck! If you have any more questions, you can certainly ask me them. [big Grin]

Hi! Your horse is a cutie. Don't worry about 'confusing' your horse with English tack... to your horse, they're just saddles! (Even though English and western saddles distribute weight differently, I rode my horse in a western saddle for the first time in her life last fall, and she didn't even react, and I've exercised straight western horses in an English saddle before [Wink] )

That being said, your bit does seem a little low (not 'loose') in your horse's mouth. The picture is sort of blurry, but you want the bit to form at least one or two wrinkles in the corner of your horse's mouth. The way you have the bit now, there is the possibility that you will inadvertantly bang him in the teeth and cause him to hollow out and toss his head.

You do need to raise your hands - there should be a clear line from elbow to bit. At the moment, you are breaking this line and encouraging your horse to strain his head above the vertical. My advice is to bring your hands up by at least two inches, and ride with 'hotdog' hands, not 'hamburger' hands (more commonly referred to as 'piano hands' - in the picture, you are carrying your hands incorrectly. That is, turned down and flat.)

An even better book for you to read would be The United States Pony Club Guide to Beginning Horsemanship. It's packed with helpful illustrations and concisely explains the basics of English equitation.

Good luck! If you have any more questions, you can certainly ask me them. [big Grin]

Thank you soooo much! You are a definite friend. I've had a hard time finding CONSTRUCTIVE criticism here. Oh well. You've already helped a bunch. Couple more questions:

1)the tack i'm using is a package(beginner)set from country supply magazine. I know it's not that great, but will it suffice for my first couple months of riding, or should I seriously think about changing tack?

-

2)Also, I live in Utah...that sucks...and there are NO english tack shops around. I have to drive clear to salt lake to get to A.A.Callisters for tack....could any of you name some good magazines, or websites for GOOD tack?

3)Where will i be able to find this pony club book you spoke of? Around here there isn't anything but 4-h, or at least that i know about!

thanks guys!!! [smiley Wavey]

[Not Worthy][Not Worthy][Not Worthy]

[ 01-01-2006, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: Alexandra Marie ]

Thank you soooo much! You are a definite friend. I've had a hard time finding CONSTRUCTIVE criticism here. Oh well. You've already helped a bunch. Couple more questions:

1)the tack i'm using is a package(beginner)set from country supply magazine. I know it's not that great, but will it suffice for my first couple months of riding, or should I seriously think about changing tack?

-

2)Also, I live in Utah...that sucks...and there are NO english tack shops around. I have to drive clear to salt lake to get to A.A.Callisters for tack....could any of you name some good magazines, or websites for GOOD tack?

3)Where will i be able to find this pony club book you spoke of? Around here there isn't anything but 4-h, or at least that i know about!

thanks guys!!! [smiley Wavey]

[Not Worthy][Not Worthy][Not Worthy]

[ 01-01-2006, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: Alexandra Marie ]

one thing I know about the hand position is that your hands also need to be a little bit closer along with a bit higher up, unless you ABSOLUTELY have to keep your hands spread out to get a headset at this point. Hope I helped!! and also, as long as your tack fits you and your horse well, and is a reasonably good quality it should be good for starting out

one thing I know about the hand position is that your hands also need to be a little bit closer along with a bit higher up, unless you ABSOLUTELY have to keep your hands spread out to get a headset at this point. Hope I helped!! and also, as long as your tack fits you and your horse well, and is a reasonably good quality it should be good for starting out

Beginner sets usually aren't brilliant, but if it fits your horse and you, then it will do.

Ditto to the ^^ post. Raise your hands so they are above,and slightly past, his withers. It can help to throw a neck strap on and let it lie naturally, and then you have a guide to where your hands should be above. You don't have to have a proper neck strap, a spare stirrup leather will do fine. Remember to bend your elbows too, I see too many riders going round with stock straight arms and piano hands.

You'll need to have your stirrups shorter than what you'd usually have them like too, and keep your knee bent back more.

Any pics of you actually riding english? with the tack?

Beginner sets usually aren't brilliant, but if it fits your horse and you, then it will do.

Ditto to the ^^ post. Raise your hands so they are above,and slightly past, his withers. It can help to throw a neck strap on and let it lie naturally, and then you have a guide to where your hands should be above. You don't have to have a proper neck strap, a spare stirrup leather will do fine. Remember to bend your elbows too, I see too many riders going round with stock straight arms and piano hands.

You'll need to have your stirrups shorter than what you'd usually have them like too, and keep your knee bent back more.

Any pics of you actually riding english? with the tack?

it might be twisted. yup shure enough [Duh]

how exactly is it supposed to look?

would you mind posting some pics of you guys riding so i can look up to you guys and try to follow your riding form?

i'll try to post some pics of my riding later. I bought adult size stirrup leather, and i'm only 5'3'' and so they are too long, thus, humungo length of stirrups, and they need to be shortened. I'll try to take more pics.

[Embarrassed]

it might be twisted. yup shure enough [Duh]

how exactly is it supposed to look?

would you mind posting some pics of you guys riding so i can look up to you guys and try to follow your riding form?

i'll try to post some pics of my riding later. I bought adult size stirrup leather, and i'm only 5'3'' and so they are too long, thus, humungo length of stirrups, and they need to be shortened. I'll try to take more pics.

[Embarrassed]

I have no recent pictures of me riding, the only ones I have are from about 3 years ago....and erm...they aren't fit for anyone to go by lol.

I'll get a picture of the bridle/proper positions etc in a sec.

I have no recent pictures of me riding, the only ones I have are from about 3 years ago....and erm...they aren't fit for anyone to go by lol.

I'll get a picture of the bridle/proper positions etc in a sec.

pic

This is a pretty good pic I found on google for leg position and torso position, but remember to look up, put your hands forward and keep your thumbs on top.

pic 2

Another good one for sitting trot, but again, hands forward a tiny bit more.

pic 3

This is a fairly good light seat at the canter, but I wouldn't worry about this just yet.

pic 4

Another fairly good normal canter position.

bridle

[ 01-01-2006, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: Naughty Neigh ]

pic

This is a pretty good pic I found on google for leg position and torso position, but remember to look up, put your hands forward and keep your thumbs on top.

pic 2

Another good one for sitting trot, but again, hands forward a tiny bit more.

pic 3

This is a fairly good light seat at the canter, but I wouldn't worry about this just yet.

pic 4

Another fairly good normal canter position.

bridle

[ 01-01-2006, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: Naughty Neigh ]

You want the noseband and the straps holding it on to be under the cheek pieces.

The bit is too far down in the mouth, you will probably want it to go up one or two holes so there is one or two wrinkles on the corners of the mouth.

I really reccomend Hunt Seat Equitation by George Morris. WONDERFUL book!

-

Straight line from hand to bit, which is good.Looking ahead-good. Knee, inner calf on-good.

Toes stuck out-bad.(He was pulling, so I was bracing to get him to sslooow down.)

You want the noseband and the straps holding it on to be under the cheek pieces.

The bit is too far down in the mouth, you will probably want it to go up one or two holes so there is one or two wrinkles on the corners of the mouth.

I really reccomend Hunt Seat Equitation by George Morris. WONDERFUL book!

-

Straight line from hand to bit, which is good.Looking ahead-good. Knee, inner calf on-good.

Toes stuck out-bad.(He was pulling, so I was bracing to get him to sslooow down.)

The best way to adjust your bridle (for bit fit) is to bring up the cheek pieces just short enough so that there is one little wrinkle in each corner of your horses' mouth. When you have one little wrinkle, lift up your horses' lip and see if the bit is resting against or otherwise touching any teeth. If it is, adjust the bridle accordingly, and you're ready to go! [big Grin]

The best way to adjust your bridle (for bit fit) is to bring up the cheek pieces just short enough so that there is one little wrinkle in each corner of your horses' mouth. When you have one little wrinkle, lift up your horses' lip and see if the bit is resting against or otherwise touching any teeth. If it is, adjust the bridle accordingly, and you're ready to go! [big Grin]

ok, all of this helped. what discipline should i compete/train in first? what are your suggestions? i'd like to try jumping?? is that okay?

also, what is your all out advice for the beginner rider? what did you have trouble with when you first started riding?

THANKS [Not Worthy]

ok, all of this helped. what discipline should i compete/train in first? what are your suggestions? i'd like to try jumping?? is that okay?

also, what is your all out advice for the beginner rider? what did you have trouble with when you first started riding?

THANKS [Not Worthy]