Sign in to follow this  
tb_jumper

*Show PICS*

i found these old show pics from a couple of years ago.

Most of them are pretty bad, and I've changed alot since then, but feel free to critique if you want. The horses aren't mine so they probably shouldn't be critiqued, but have a go at me. [big Grin]

Cantering (im not waering a jacket b/c its was over 105 degress and (thank God) we didnt have to)

-

Umm here i look like a chicken with my elbows spread out like that lol. (i dont look like that anymore)

-

He went through this phase where he would carry his head up high like that, which was really lovely...

-

-

-

These are from my first show>

-

-

**Sorry the pics r really small thats just the way they loaded. just click on the them to see them bigger.**

i found these old show pics from a couple of years ago.

Most of them are pretty bad, and I've changed alot since then, but feel free to critique if you want. The horses aren't mine so they probably shouldn't be critiqued, but have a go at me. [big Grin]

Cantering (im not waering a jacket b/c its was over 105 degress and (thank God) we didnt have to)

-

Umm here i look like a chicken with my elbows spread out like that lol. (i dont look like that anymore)

-

He went through this phase where he would carry his head up high like that, which was really lovely...

-

-

-

These are from my first show>

-

-

**Sorry the pics r really small thats just the way they loaded. just click on the them to see them bigger.**

Oh, i forgot to mention...this was a schooling show at my barn, so we didn't have to braid manes, tails, etc. And, like I said, these weren't my horses, so I had no control over the tack and their appearance. Any messiness of ME is my fault. Any messiness of the horses I had no control over, especially about the way they move, carry themselves, etc. (I know a good rider should be able to fix alot of those things but I had only been riding for less than a year when I did these shows).

[ 02-26-2006, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: tb_jumper ]

Oh, i forgot to mention...this was a schooling show at my barn, so we didn't have to braid manes, tails, etc. And, like I said, these weren't my horses, so I had no control over the tack and their appearance. Any messiness of ME is my fault. Any messiness of the horses I had no control over, especially about the way they move, carry themselves, etc. (I know a good rider should be able to fix alot of those things but I had only been riding for less than a year when I did these shows).

[ 02-26-2006, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: tb_jumper ]

I really don't see anything wrong with her turnout or anything. Especially with what she said about the horses not being under her control. The only thing I can say is that even if it is 105 I would put a jacket on for the 5 minutes you're going to be in the ring. It shows much more respect for the judge and creates a more polished picture. I always put a coat on for my classes even if its 110 [smile] That being said, you don't HAVE to wear the coat so there's nothing technically wrong with your turnout for a schooling show at your barn.

I think you're riding looks pretty good too. You already commented on your elbows not being at your side so i woun't say anything about that. You have slight "piano hands". Thumbs up. And you need to put more bend in your elbow. Your heel is down and your leg looks good. You're eyes are up and you're looking where you're going. I'd say you look really good ESPECIALLY for only riding for a year.

I really don't see anything wrong with her turnout or anything. Especially with what she said about the horses not being under her control. The only thing I can say is that even if it is 105 I would put a jacket on for the 5 minutes you're going to be in the ring. It shows much more respect for the judge and creates a more polished picture. I always put a coat on for my classes even if its 110 [smile] That being said, you don't HAVE to wear the coat so there's nothing technically wrong with your turnout for a schooling show at your barn.

I think you're riding looks pretty good too. You already commented on your elbows not being at your side so i woun't say anything about that. You have slight "piano hands". Thumbs up. And you need to put more bend in your elbow. Your heel is down and your leg looks good. You're eyes are up and you're looking where you're going. I'd say you look really good ESPECIALLY for only riding for a year.

thanks!! I agree with the coat thing, its only 5 minutes you have to wear it, and it probably would have been better to wear it. [smile]

thanks!! I agree with the coat thing, its only 5 minutes you have to wear it, and it probably would have been better to wear it. [smile]

quote:

Originally posted by SouthEskMichen:

Not meaning to be harsh but everything looks so untidy

Showing is about proving your horses obedience and manners, dicipline and training.

It's just....messy. Horse and rider.

WOuld you be able to be more elaborate in describing what is wrong because I am going to start showing my mare this year and I want to know what not to do....I know about the jacket that is a no brainer but braids are not neccessary in my opinion especially in jumpers but I think the pair looks lovely and the horse is beautiful I don't see a speck of dirt on him and the owner must have spent alot of time preparing th ehorse the only thing is the horse isn't braided but is that a crime?

quote:

Originally posted by SouthEskMichen:

Not meaning to be harsh but everything looks so untidy

Showing is about proving your horses obedience and manners, dicipline and training.

It's just....messy. Horse and rider.

WOuld you be able to be more elaborate in describing what is wrong because I am going to start showing my mare this year and I want to know what not to do....I know about the jacket that is a no brainer but braids are not neccessary in my opinion especially in jumpers but I think the pair looks lovely and the horse is beautiful I don't see a speck of dirt on him and the owner must have spent alot of time preparing th ehorse the only thing is the horse isn't braided but is that a crime?

quote:

Originally posted by tb_jumper:

No, your right. Lesson students generally don't have control over things such as school horses going on the bit, tracking up, things such as that. At least I know I don't over some of our horses.

The jacket I understand about. Other than that your appearence is fine. At this one show over the summer, it was soooo hot that as SOON as our class was over, we all took off our jackets and helmets lol.

As far as EQ goes, you already noticed your elbows, but they were caused by your thumbs being turned in too much, and your hands up. If you had your thumbs up and your hands a little lower, your elbow probably wouldn't slipped out as much.

quote:

Originally posted by tb_jumper:

No, your right. Lesson students generally don't have control over things such as school horses going on the bit, tracking up, things such as that. At least I know I don't over some of our horses.

The jacket I understand about. Other than that your appearence is fine. At this one show over the summer, it was soooo hot that as SOON as our class was over, we all took off our jackets and helmets lol.

As far as EQ goes, you already noticed your elbows, but they were caused by your thumbs being turned in too much, and your hands up. If you had your thumbs up and your hands a little lower, your elbow probably wouldn't slipped out as much.

Hm. Well, I'm not so good with critiquing the rider. I focus more on the horses, probably because they're bigger and catch my eye more xD

But the horse looks wonderful. He's almost an exact replica (the lighter one) of my dream horse. And he looks awesome in that last picture.

As far as I can tell, neither horse is tracking up very well, but you probably don't have control over that if they aren't your horses. [big Grin]

Hm. Well, I'm not so good with critiquing the rider. I focus more on the horses, probably because they're bigger and catch my eye more xD

But the horse looks wonderful. He's almost an exact replica (the lighter one) of my dream horse. And he looks awesome in that last picture.

As far as I can tell, neither horse is tracking up very well, but you probably don't have control over that if they aren't your horses. [big Grin]

Sorry I should have made it clearer about what I thought was messy.

The general movement of the horse, not in an outline, looks sluggish in some pictures. He looks like he's really not enjoying himself, one of the pictures he's got his ears back, is slugish and it looks liek you are having a hard time keeping him going.

The turnout of the horse in the way that the mane is not braided ( which as you explained was not needed but I still think it shows respect for the judge to make the effort). However, the horse is in immaculate condition, so credit for that.

As for not having to wear a jacket because of the heat, you aren't in the show ring for long and it looks SO much better.

I also meant the rider, your elbows aren't tucked it ( but you did mention that) and you have piano hands. In some of the pictures your leg has slipped up as well. Just in my personal opinion, I would lengthen your stirrups. HOWEVER, considering you have only been riding a year, well done.

Sorry, I didn't mean to just bluntly saying you and your horse is a "mess", I didn't have alot of time and it came out the wrong way!

But well done!

Sorry I should have made it clearer about what I thought was messy.

The general movement of the horse, not in an outline, looks sluggish in some pictures. He looks like he's really not enjoying himself, one of the pictures he's got his ears back, is slugish and it looks liek you are having a hard time keeping him going.

The turnout of the horse in the way that the mane is not braided ( which as you explained was not needed but I still think it shows respect for the judge to make the effort). However, the horse is in immaculate condition, so credit for that.

As for not having to wear a jacket because of the heat, you aren't in the show ring for long and it looks SO much better.

I also meant the rider, your elbows aren't tucked it ( but you did mention that) and you have piano hands. In some of the pictures your leg has slipped up as well. Just in my personal opinion, I would lengthen your stirrups. HOWEVER, considering you have only been riding a year, well done.

Sorry, I didn't mean to just bluntly saying you and your horse is a "mess", I didn't have alot of time and it came out the wrong way!

But well done!

SouthEskMichen: thats ok, i totally understand, and I see what you mean. these horse have to put up with beginner after beginer on their backs, and after years of doing that, they don't have the prettiest movement or form. And the darker horse, rusty, always has that expression, its like permanently on him.

But anyway, sorry for causing an argument and everything, but all the suggestions were really helpful!!! thanks [smile]

SouthEskMichen: thats ok, i totally understand, and I see what you mean. these horse have to put up with beginner after beginer on their backs, and after years of doing that, they don't have the prettiest movement or form. And the darker horse, rusty, always has that expression, its like permanently on him.

But anyway, sorry for causing an argument and everything, but all the suggestions were really helpful!!! thanks [smile]

Your stirrups look like a good length. Dont Dont Dont Lengthen them! Unless your planning on riding dressage!! Lol. I would say they could even go up one hole for flat, 2 for jumping!

Your stirrups look like a good length. Dont Dont Dont Lengthen them! Unless your planning on riding dressage!! Lol. I would say they could even go up one hole for flat, 2 for jumping!

Besides what everyone else has already said, your hands, judging by the pictures, seem very heavy. It seems like you are completely balancing on them. The horse has its mouth open and bracing against you in almost every picture. Now, I know there are horses that generally go around fussing with their mouth (my horse), and that maybe the horse was being strong that day, but its just my opinion. Also, you said these were from a while ago so maybe it has been improved. Overall you and the horses look very nice and I LOVE the last picture. Adorable. [smiley Wavey]

Besides what everyone else has already said, your hands, judging by the pictures, seem very heavy. It seems like you are completely balancing on them. The horse has its mouth open and bracing against you in almost every picture. Now, I know there are horses that generally go around fussing with their mouth (my horse), and that maybe the horse was being strong that day, but its just my opinion. Also, you said these were from a while ago so maybe it has been improved. Overall you and the horses look very nice and I LOVE the last picture. Adorable. [smiley Wavey]