Sign in to follow this  
equinemassagevt

[B]Anyone know what this saddle is worth?[/B]

I aquired a Barsby Pegasus about 3 years ago from a local tack shop for $100.00 and can't find much on the value. I know they were expensive back in their day, so I'm trying to find out. It's got two nicks on the back of the seat and was well broke-in, but other than that, it's in awesome shape. [big Grin] They knew nothing about english saddles and just wanted it out of their shop, so I dickered them down from $150. I'm moving and want to see if it should sleep in the house with me, or will be okay in the barn. Any help is VERY appreciated! [Yay]

I aquired a Barsby Pegasus about 3 years ago from a local tack shop for $100.00 and can't find much on the value. I know they were expensive back in their day, so I'm trying to find out. It's got two nicks on the back of the seat and was well broke-in, but other than that, it's in awesome shape. [big Grin] They knew nothing about english saddles and just wanted it out of their shop, so I dickered them down from $150. I'm moving and want to see if it should sleep in the house with me, or will be okay in the barn. Any help is VERY appreciated! [Yay]

Got a picture of it?

Barnsby saddles generally retail between 1500-2500, and have a good reputation for durability and quality.

For some reason they're not so popular now- I had a lovely Cirrus II that I could only get about 600 for, and it was in fabulous condition, little use or wear... retail new on that saddle was at least 1600. (then again, I got it at a serious discount, compared to what I paid I guess what I got was fair)

A couple years back I sold an older Barnsby- not sure which model- for $300. But considering we'd gotten it for free when I was seven (it was at least 6-7 years old then), and after I grew out of it, it spent many years sitting in our basement getting icky, not too bad. [smile] The saddle's still in use with a local child rider- has to be going on almost 30 years old now? LOL

I'm guessing if yours is a newer model, it should be worth at least 800-900 (actually, I would give it more). What you'd actually GET is hard to say, though.

Either way, you got an AWESOME deal! [Yay]

[ 05-09-2006, 08:14 AM: Message edited by: goldentoes ]

Got a picture of it?

Barnsby saddles generally retail between 1500-2500, and have a good reputation for durability and quality.

For some reason they're not so popular now- I had a lovely Cirrus II that I could only get about 600 for, and it was in fabulous condition, little use or wear... retail new on that saddle was at least 1600. (then again, I got it at a serious discount, compared to what I paid I guess what I got was fair)

A couple years back I sold an older Barnsby- not sure which model- for $300. But considering we'd gotten it for free when I was seven (it was at least 6-7 years old then), and after I grew out of it, it spent many years sitting in our basement getting icky, not too bad. [smile] The saddle's still in use with a local child rider- has to be going on almost 30 years old now? LOL

I'm guessing if yours is a newer model, it should be worth at least 800-900 (actually, I would give it more). What you'd actually GET is hard to say, though.

Either way, you got an AWESOME deal! [Yay]

[ 05-09-2006, 08:14 AM: Message edited by: goldentoes ]

No, no pic of it. Did get a heck of a deal [big Grin] though. Would have been a better deal if I still had a horse that rode huntseat!! Both of my boys now are saddleseat...lol. Oh well, maybe someday I'll get a reason to use it. In the meantime, I keep it clean and oiled, and look at it and laugh. If I had a horse for every saddle I owned, I would need 4 more!! [ROTFL]

No, no pic of it. Did get a heck of a deal [big Grin] though. Would have been a better deal if I still had a horse that rode huntseat!! Both of my boys now are saddleseat...lol. Oh well, maybe someday I'll get a reason to use it. In the meantime, I keep it clean and oiled, and look at it and laugh. If I had a horse for every saddle I owned, I would need 4 more!! [ROTFL]

dang. sounds like you got a pretty good deal. good for you! i'm looking for a saddle...maybe i should go to one of the western tack shops around here and see if they're desprate to get rid of a fantastic english saddle. lol

dang. sounds like you got a pretty good deal. good for you! i'm looking for a saddle...maybe i should go to one of the western tack shops around here and see if they're desprate to get rid of a fantastic english saddle. lol