Sign in to follow this  
DressagePrick01

What type of bit do you ride in?

Depends which horse [smile]

I used to ride everything in an eggbut snaffle for jumping, XC.

Double bridle for dressage and hunter (show part of class, I'd jump in a snaffle usually).

Saffi I rode in a pelham to show, snaffle and 8 noseband for everything else (She was all motor)

Marvino- usually school in a plain snaffle.. I use a broken kimberwicke to show in. I really liked showing ina double bridle.. you ride in the snaffle and use the curb bit very lightly.. but I've never seen anyone in the QH world using two reins! So I changed.

EdWierd (not my horse) I rode today in a twisted snaffle.. Didn't do much with him, still working on getting confidence back after fall. Just tried to get him on the bit, then walked, let him stretch and focused on leg yeilds.. Different horses.. different bits.

I'm a really big fan of an eggbutt snaffle to be honest [smile]

Depends which horse [smile]

I used to ride everything in an eggbut snaffle for jumping, XC.

Double bridle for dressage and hunter (show part of class, I'd jump in a snaffle usually).

Saffi I rode in a pelham to show, snaffle and 8 noseband for everything else (She was all motor)

Marvino- usually school in a plain snaffle.. I use a broken kimberwicke to show in. I really liked showing ina double bridle.. you ride in the snaffle and use the curb bit very lightly.. but I've never seen anyone in the QH world using two reins! So I changed.

EdWierd (not my horse) I rode today in a twisted snaffle.. Didn't do much with him, still working on getting confidence back after fall. Just tried to get him on the bit, then walked, let him stretch and focused on leg yeilds.. Different horses.. different bits.

I'm a really big fan of an eggbutt snaffle to be honest [smile]

Depends on the horse, and what we are doing

My TB, D ring snaffle, for most things

3 ring gag for cross country

rubber, mullen mouth pehlam for fox hunting.

The mare I am riding goes in a loose ring, french link KK bit.

Depends on the horse, and what we are doing

My TB, D ring snaffle, for most things

3 ring gag for cross country

rubber, mullen mouth pehlam for fox hunting.

The mare I am riding goes in a loose ring, french link KK bit.

hmmm

i use several bits,

1: a broken curb

2: low to medium port curb

3: snaffle type gag bit

4:machanical hackamore

hmmm

i use several bits,

1: a broken curb

2: low to medium port curb

3: snaffle type gag bit

4:machanical hackamore

Happy mouths are the best thing thats happened to me.

You reallt should buy one

At first with a normal snaffle or pelham he would stick his nose up, not move, get his tonge over the bit, break his topline and really was heavy on your hands.

Got the Happy mouth softened up strait away, no more leaning or tonge swapping, would be alot softer in his mouth and respond more to hand and seat instead of nothing atall.

you really should try it [Wink]

Il try and get brfore and after pics for you so you can see how much they work [big Grin]

Happy mouths are the best thing thats happened to me.

You reallt should buy one

At first with a normal snaffle or pelham he would stick his nose up, not move, get his tonge over the bit, break his topline and really was heavy on your hands.

Got the Happy mouth softened up strait away, no more leaning or tonge swapping, would be alot softer in his mouth and respond more to hand and seat instead of nothing atall.

you really should try it [Wink]

Il try and get brfore and after pics for you so you can see how much they work [big Grin]

At home/Dressage- Full Cheek Snaffle

Away/SJ/XC stages-Corkscrew

Bein NUTS away/XC- double twisted wire Only had to use that one once though after lameness that let up in time for an event, but not long enough to get out all his 'happiness'

At home/Dressage- Full Cheek Snaffle

Away/SJ/XC stages-Corkscrew

Bein NUTS away/XC- double twisted wire Only had to use that one once though after lameness that let up in time for an event, but not long enough to get out all his 'happiness'

Spots-

~Copper wrapped snaffle (D-ring)

~Waterford to change things up (full cheek with keepers)

~Pelham for break tune ups/classics

~Dr. Bristol for dressage (egg or full w/keepers)

Star-

~Copper wrapped snaffle

~Pelham for break tune up

I love my copper wrapped snaffle. I have yet to find a horse who didn't like it. I want a HS KK, but can't justify the money at the moment [Me Cry]

Spots-

~Copper wrapped snaffle (D-ring)

~Waterford to change things up (full cheek with keepers)

~Pelham for break tune ups/classics

~Dr. Bristol for dressage (egg or full w/keepers)

Star-

~Copper wrapped snaffle

~Pelham for break tune up

I love my copper wrapped snaffle. I have yet to find a horse who didn't like it. I want a HS KK, but can't justify the money at the moment [Me Cry]

Hot little TB jumper=slow twist pelham (not my choice; i think it's a bit harsh)

Hanoverian jumper=loose-ring snaffle with rollers

TB who knows what (lesson horse [big Grin] )=slow twist eggbutt

Most horses at our barn go in dee-rings or snaffles, and some of the hotter jumpers go in dutch gags, kimberwickes, and pelhams.

Hot little TB jumper=slow twist pelham (not my choice; i think it's a bit harsh)

Hanoverian jumper=loose-ring snaffle with rollers

TB who knows what (lesson horse [big Grin] )=slow twist eggbutt

Most horses at our barn go in dee-rings or snaffles, and some of the hotter jumpers go in dutch gags, kimberwickes, and pelhams.

Rosie rides in a Myler Loose Ring Wide Barreled Comfort Snaffle, so does Rock (my lesson horse and trainer's show horse) (I LOVE the Myler bits)

Cory (my lease horse) and Hannah (my "fun" horse) ride in a plain full cheek.

Deja (another lesson horse) rides in an elevator for schooling, Dr. Bristol Dee ring for shows.

I think that's it.

Diana

Rosie rides in a Myler Loose Ring Wide Barreled Comfort Snaffle, so does Rock (my lesson horse and trainer's show horse) (I LOVE the Myler bits)

Cory (my lease horse) and Hannah (my "fun" horse) ride in a plain full cheek.

Deja (another lesson horse) rides in an elevator for schooling, Dr. Bristol Dee ring for shows.

I think that's it.

Diana

TB/QH gelding: Happy mouth mullen mouth loose ring

App/Morgan (Mule! LOL)Gelding: At home: Happy Mouth Mullen Mouth full cheek with keepers Away from home: Myler level 2,3 bit...I don't know whatcha call it, but it has a dee ring. There are two holes in the bit ring...one for the cheek piece, the other for the reins. Then, it has a high/med port with a flat bottom and a roller on top and copper inlays on the straight pieces. Used sparingly!

App/Arab mare:

Happy mouth mullen mouth full cheek or french training snaffle, loose ring

Paint gelding:

French training snaffle loose ring

TB/QH gelding: Happy mouth mullen mouth loose ring

App/Morgan (Mule! LOL)Gelding: At home: Happy Mouth Mullen Mouth full cheek with keepers Away from home: Myler level 2,3 bit...I don't know whatcha call it, but it has a dee ring. There are two holes in the bit ring...one for the cheek piece, the other for the reins. Then, it has a high/med port with a flat bottom and a roller on top and copper inlays on the straight pieces. Used sparingly!

App/Arab mare:

Happy mouth mullen mouth full cheek or french training snaffle, loose ring

Paint gelding:

French training snaffle loose ring

For english i used to use a kimberwicke but now i use a loose ring snaffle and for western i use... well i'm not really sure but it's some sort of snaffle lol [big Grin]

For english i used to use a kimberwicke but now i use a loose ring snaffle and for western i use... well i'm not really sure but it's some sort of snaffle lol [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by GoinWesternwithQuincy:

For english i used to use a kimberwicke but now i use a loose ring snaffle and for western i use... well i'm not really sure but it's some sort of snaffle lol
[big Grin]

western doesnt have snaffles, they have broken curbs... is that what you mean?

quote:

Originally posted by GoinWesternwithQuincy:

For english i used to use a kimberwicke but now i use a loose ring snaffle and for western i use... well i'm not really sure but it's some sort of snaffle lol
[big Grin]

western doesnt have snaffles, they have broken curbs... is that what you mean?