Sign in to follow this  
weo123

Thoroughbred vs. Warmblood

I know many people prefer one breed over another, some say Thoroughbreds are the best because they're the most athletic and have the biggest hearts. Some say Warmbloods are the best because they are calmer than a Thoroughbred and nicer movers. I don't want this post to turn into an arguement, please, but I'd really like to hear why people prefer one over another, whether it's for dressage, jumpers, or hunters.

Personally, I have a TB/WB cross, and she's perfect. I love a Thoroughbred's energy and I love forward horses, but I think the little bit of Warmblood balances it out perfectly.

Anyone else?

I know many people prefer one breed over another, some say Thoroughbreds are the best because they're the most athletic and have the biggest hearts. Some say Warmbloods are the best because they are calmer than a Thoroughbred and nicer movers. I don't want this post to turn into an arguement, please, but I'd really like to hear why people prefer one over another, whether it's for dressage, jumpers, or hunters.

Personally, I have a TB/WB cross, and she's perfect. I love a Thoroughbred's energy and I love forward horses, but I think the little bit of Warmblood balances it out perfectly.

Anyone else?

Neither Thoroughbreds nor warmbloods appeal to me, at all. I'll take a mustang or large pony over both any day. To each their own. [smile]

Neither Thoroughbreds nor warmbloods appeal to me, at all. I'll take a mustang or large pony over both any day. To each their own. [smile]

I love both types of horses but for dressage I would preferre a warmblood. Reasons:

1) I find that throughbreds tend to have a lot of skin problems and are really hard to fatten up so they aren't an easy keeper.

2) I love my horse bulky and I think warmbloods have that.Throughbreds are a little to delicate for me.

However, I love both horses but for dressage I preffer warmbloods. [Wink]

I love both types of horses but for dressage I would preferre a warmblood. Reasons:

1) I find that throughbreds tend to have a lot of skin problems and are really hard to fatten up so they aren't an easy keeper.

2) I love my horse bulky and I think warmbloods have that.Throughbreds are a little to delicate for me.

However, I love both horses but for dressage I preffer warmbloods. [Wink]

I don't think you can put blanket generalizations out there. I have a warmblood mare that is so hot that it isn't funny. I would doubt too, that my 4 year old warmblood is calm enough for the average rider, he can be rather hot and takes more experience than an average rider.

It all comes down to personal preference. What appeals to one person may not appeal to another for one reason or another. I choose Warmbloods, specifically Zweibruckers (Oldenburg/Trak cross) because of their movement, temperment, and breeding and how it relates to what I do. I would presume that other people would choose their breed of choice in a similar fashion. For example, my horses are NOT fun to trail ride, but they are not made or trained for that, so I do not expect or want that from them.

I don't think you can put blanket generalizations out there. I have a warmblood mare that is so hot that it isn't funny. I would doubt too, that my 4 year old warmblood is calm enough for the average rider, he can be rather hot and takes more experience than an average rider.

It all comes down to personal preference. What appeals to one person may not appeal to another for one reason or another. I choose Warmbloods, specifically Zweibruckers (Oldenburg/Trak cross) because of their movement, temperment, and breeding and how it relates to what I do. I would presume that other people would choose their breed of choice in a similar fashion. For example, my horses are NOT fun to trail ride, but they are not made or trained for that, so I do not expect or want that from them.

quote:

Originally posted by PMJ:

Totally agree. On the flip side of that, I have a 4 yr old Thoroughbred that most anyone with some level of riding could get on and he tends to gain weight easily. He's a very easy keeper. [Wink][big Grin]

Not really going to go indebth with a reply because it's pretty pointless. You just can not compare the two. [Confused]

quote:

Originally posted by PMJ:

Totally agree. On the flip side of that, I have a 4 yr old Thoroughbred that most anyone with some level of riding could get on and he tends to gain weight easily. He's a very easy keeper. [Wink][big Grin]

Not really going to go indebth with a reply because it's pretty pointless. You just can not compare the two. [Confused]

The 'hot TB' and 'mellow athletic WB' generalization is just that- a generalization. There are many cases where thoroughbreds are easy keepers and quiet enough to show a new rider the ropes, just like there are many instances where warmbloods are hard to keep and move like giraffes (no offense to giraffes, they're great too).

To be fair to both breeds, I think it's best to look at individual horses rather than the breed as a whole. [smile]

The 'hot TB' and 'mellow athletic WB' generalization is just that- a generalization. There are many cases where thoroughbreds are easy keepers and quiet enough to show a new rider the ropes, just like there are many instances where warmbloods are hard to keep and move like giraffes (no offense to giraffes, they're great too).

To be fair to both breeds, I think it's best to look at individual horses rather than the breed as a whole. [smile]

I own a 17.1hh TB who acts exactly like a warmbood. Everyone who sees him asks if hes a TB WB cross, and I say nope. All TB. I like to think I got the best of both worlds.

I own a 17.1hh TB who acts exactly like a warmbood. Everyone who sees him asks if hes a TB WB cross, and I say nope. All TB. I like to think I got the best of both worlds.

quote:

Originally posted by rockin' robin:

To be fair to both breeds, I think it's best to look at individual horses rather than the breed as a whole.
[smile]

And I have to add that some WB's have a reputation of being impossibly hot... I'm especially thinking of Swedish Warmbloods

quote:

Originally posted by rockin' robin:

To be fair to both breeds, I think it's best to look at individual horses rather than the breed as a whole.
[smile]

And I have to add that some WB's have a reputation of being impossibly hot... I'm especially thinking of Swedish Warmbloods

quote:

Originally posted by Arrows:

Neither Thoroughbreds nor warmbloods appeal to me, at all. I'll take a mustang or large pony over both any day. To each their own.
[smile]

[Not Worthy] Ditto

quote:

Neither Thoroughbreds nor warmbloods appeal to me, at all. I'll take a mustang or large pony over both any day. To each their own.
[smile]

[Not Worthy] Ditto

most tb's are nutjobs I have found! haha. but I love them anyway [smile]

Honestly I prefer warmbloods just because a lot of times you don't have to deal with the bottomless pit of energy along with the random bouts of screwyness.

I have both right now. One thing I love about tb's is how fast they are to mature and also learn. They pick up stuff in a second. Warmbloods take waaaaaayyyy longer to develop. Like our thoroughbreds, by the time they are 5 can basicaly jump anything. But I never can completely trust the warmbloods to be that quick until they are like 7.

A happy medium is a wb x tb cross! and I have one of those too!! lol

most tb's are nutjobs I have found! haha. but I love them anyway [smile]

Honestly I prefer warmbloods just because a lot of times you don't have to deal with the bottomless pit of energy along with the random bouts of screwyness.

I have both right now. One thing I love about tb's is how fast they are to mature and also learn. They pick up stuff in a second. Warmbloods take waaaaaayyyy longer to develop. Like our thoroughbreds, by the time they are 5 can basicaly jump anything. But I never can completely trust the warmbloods to be that quick until they are like 7.

A happy medium is a wb x tb cross! and I have one of those too!! lol

quote:

Originally posted by Naughty Neigh:

quote:

[smile]

[Not Worthy]

Ditto

Glad someone agrees!!!! [Wink]

quote:

quote:

[smile]

[Not Worthy]

Ditto

Glad someone agrees!!!! [Wink]

I like both breeds and agree with above replies that they breeds cannot be generalized or "blanketed" entirely, however the stereotypes did come from somewhere. Personally, I love both breeds. They are, for the most part, nice movers and good prospects.

But you see, I am just little ol'me, who likes to pop over fences and work on her canter and enjoys trail rides--I don't need (nor can I afford) a nice Warmblood or TB, especially in my area. I am perfectly with my large pony that I half-lease, Spectrum, an Arabian. There are some giggles at us and some people look down at us, either for my riding ability, his physique (sp?) or both. But heck, I would choose him over the pricy-est, most "talented" Warmblood or TB in my barn. [big Grin]

But I am biased.

'Cause he is my baby. So for ever after Arabians are all that in my mind...

I like both breeds and agree with above replies that they breeds cannot be generalized or "blanketed" entirely, however the stereotypes did come from somewhere. Personally, I love both breeds. They are, for the most part, nice movers and good prospects.

But you see, I am just little ol'me, who likes to pop over fences and work on her canter and enjoys trail rides--I don't need (nor can I afford) a nice Warmblood or TB, especially in my area. I am perfectly with my large pony that I half-lease, Spectrum, an Arabian. There are some giggles at us and some people look down at us, either for my riding ability, his physique (sp?) or both. But heck, I would choose him over the pricy-est, most "talented" Warmblood or TB in my barn. [big Grin]

But I am biased.

'Cause he is my baby. So for ever after Arabians are all that in my mind...

I have had an 17.1hh OTTB and can tell you to get a Quater Horse gelding...I have a 15.1hh QH gelding and loving it! I had Bluff (TB) for three years, road him two - four times a week...One thing about Thoroughbreds are that they have to be riden reguarly!

With my Quarter Horse gelding...I can go two months and still get on him like it was yesterday!

GO QUARTER HORSES!!!

I have had an 17.1hh OTTB and can tell you to get a Quater Horse gelding...I have a 15.1hh QH gelding and loving it! I had Bluff (TB) for three years, road him two - four times a week...One thing about Thoroughbreds are that they have to be riden reguarly!

With my Quarter Horse gelding...I can go two months and still get on him like it was yesterday!

GO QUARTER HORSES!!!

Personally I'm a warmblood person- i love mine to death, they are very versatile and very sane.. I have a dutch warmblood, who if he were smaller, would curl up in your lap to sleep, but at the same time he knows when its time to go. He did PSG dressage in holland and was trained up to i-1, and did some mini-prix's. He's totally versatile, if im with friends we can go out on trails. I do have a TB/Oldenburg cross who is HUGE, and some days (like today) his TB blood shines through, but most days he follows the generalization og warmblood- slow, happy, and sane:)

Personally I'm a warmblood person- i love mine to death, they are very versatile and very sane.. I have a dutch warmblood, who if he were smaller, would curl up in your lap to sleep, but at the same time he knows when its time to go. He did PSG dressage in holland and was trained up to i-1, and did some mini-prix's. He's totally versatile, if im with friends we can go out on trails. I do have a TB/Oldenburg cross who is HUGE, and some days (like today) his TB blood shines through, but most days he follows the generalization og warmblood- slow, happy, and sane:)

quote:

quote:

quote:

[smile]

[Not Worthy]

Ditto

Glad someone agrees!!!!
[Wink]
mustang especially! [Angel]

quote:

quote:

quote:

[smile]

[Not Worthy]

Ditto

Glad someone agrees!!!!
[Wink]
mustang especially! [Angel]