Sign in to follow this  
weo123

Thoroughbred vs. Warmblood

-

[big Grin] TB/WB cross! Mine happens to be Hanoverian/Thoroughbred, hanoverian registered and branded.

For eventing, he's my dream horse -- the athleticism and the huge heart of a thoroughbred, but the movement and personality of the warmblood.

-

[big Grin] TB/WB cross! Mine happens to be Hanoverian/Thoroughbred, hanoverian registered and branded.

For eventing, he's my dream horse -- the athleticism and the huge heart of a thoroughbred, but the movement and personality of the warmblood.

I have a Thoroughbred whom I love to death, even though he definately has his "thoroughbred" moments. He has really nervous personality, and would definately not be the horse for someone who's goal is to show, or be able to keep pushing forward.

I do agree with everyone else that you can't generalize about breeds, we have a 16hh OTTB gelding who is an absolute doll, and carries little 5 year olds around. There is also a 17 year old crazy Westphalian mare at my barn. She is very very hyper, hot, and I'd say borderline dangerous.

I love Thoroughbreds, I love their big hearts and willing personality I love the feeling of a forward horse that I can really up into my hands. However, I don't like to generalize by breeds. There is an Appaloosa at my barn who I love to death, and he is so forward. There are also two "mutts" at my barn, they are both amazing horses.

It just depends. But I am a Thoroughbred girl. [big Grin]

I have a Thoroughbred whom I love to death, even though he definately has his "thoroughbred" moments. He has really nervous personality, and would definately not be the horse for someone who's goal is to show, or be able to keep pushing forward.

I do agree with everyone else that you can't generalize about breeds, we have a 16hh OTTB gelding who is an absolute doll, and carries little 5 year olds around. There is also a 17 year old crazy Westphalian mare at my barn. She is very very hyper, hot, and I'd say borderline dangerous.

I love Thoroughbreds, I love their big hearts and willing personality I love the feeling of a forward horse that I can really up into my hands. However, I don't like to generalize by breeds. There is an Appaloosa at my barn who I love to death, and he is so forward. There are also two "mutts" at my barn, they are both amazing horses.

It just depends. But I am a Thoroughbred girl. [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by ilovedobby:

I like both breeds and agree with above replies that they breeds cannot be generalized or "blanketed" entirely, however the stereotypes did come from somewhere. Personally, I love both breeds. They are, for the most part, nice movers and good prospects.

But you see, I am just little ol'me, who likes to pop over fences and work on her canter and enjoys trail rides--I don't need (nor can I afford) a nice Warmblood or TB, especially in my area. I am perfectly with my large pony that I half-lease, Spectrum, an Arabian. There are some giggles at us and some people look down at us, either for my riding ability, his physique (sp?) or both. But heck, I would choose him over the pricy-est, most "talented" Warmblood or TB in my barn.
[big Grin]

But I am biased.

'Cause he is my baby. So for ever after Arabians are all that in my mind...

Go Sister!! I love my Arabians and Arab Crosses too!!

This is GE Tattered Lace, a National Show Horse( 1/2 arab/ 1/2 saddlebred) mare I owned for over 5 years. This horse taught me more than any horse so far. She was fantastic!! She is no longer alive, she had to be put down due to EPM complications. The following horse is her foal that I've had since he was born.

GE Tattered Lace (NSH), English Country Pleasure, Western, Hunter Pleasure, Equitation

-

Lacey's Baby - Percussion's Cadence (3/4 arab, 1/4 saddlebred) 2nd level dressage, beginning eventing

-

Here is a purebred arab gelding that I worked with and showed last summer.

BA Conagher (Purebred Arabian)

-

I love my arabs!!

quote:

Originally posted by ilovedobby:

I like both breeds and agree with above replies that they breeds cannot be generalized or "blanketed" entirely, however the stereotypes did come from somewhere. Personally, I love both breeds. They are, for the most part, nice movers and good prospects.

But you see, I am just little ol'me, who likes to pop over fences and work on her canter and enjoys trail rides--I don't need (nor can I afford) a nice Warmblood or TB, especially in my area. I am perfectly with my large pony that I half-lease, Spectrum, an Arabian. There are some giggles at us and some people look down at us, either for my riding ability, his physique (sp?) or both. But heck, I would choose him over the pricy-est, most "talented" Warmblood or TB in my barn.
[big Grin]

But I am biased.

'Cause he is my baby. So for ever after Arabians are all that in my mind...

Go Sister!! I love my Arabians and Arab Crosses too!!

This is GE Tattered Lace, a National Show Horse( 1/2 arab/ 1/2 saddlebred) mare I owned for over 5 years. This horse taught me more than any horse so far. She was fantastic!! She is no longer alive, she had to be put down due to EPM complications. The following horse is her foal that I've had since he was born.

GE Tattered Lace (NSH), English Country Pleasure, Western, Hunter Pleasure, Equitation

-

Lacey's Baby - Percussion's Cadence (3/4 arab, 1/4 saddlebred) 2nd level dressage, beginning eventing

-

Here is a purebred arab gelding that I worked with and showed last summer.

BA Conagher (Purebred Arabian)

-

I love my arabs!!

Its a toss up between the two - and one reason why I am dissapointed with the new short format in eventing.

The thoroughbreds do benefit eventers greatly - they naturally withold great stamina, athleticism, and are usually very quick to get themselves, and their rider, out of bad situations. I don't see any warmbloods banking off a jump if they cant get their feet out of the way, or jumping what's in front of them even when the rider's gone long in the water complex. Thoroughbreds have greater courage, but their weak point is the dressage. Many thoroughbreds are not extravagant movers, many don't have the temperment for dressage either. There are a select few who hold exception, but this is generalization.

Warmbloods are going to be strong in dressage. Many are bred just for dressage - they have the calm temperments, don't get bored as quickly, and generally try harder in the dressage. They naturally have bouyant, fluid movement and expressive gaits. However, they lack stamina greatly - none of them lasted the long format cross country and some can't even leave the cups up in the stadium ring if they get into a sticky situation. They generally are not as brave as thoroughbreds, nor as smart.

The perfect horse, it would seem, would be a cross of the two.

Its a toss up between the two - and one reason why I am dissapointed with the new short format in eventing.

The thoroughbreds do benefit eventers greatly - they naturally withold great stamina, athleticism, and are usually very quick to get themselves, and their rider, out of bad situations. I don't see any warmbloods banking off a jump if they cant get their feet out of the way, or jumping what's in front of them even when the rider's gone long in the water complex. Thoroughbreds have greater courage, but their weak point is the dressage. Many thoroughbreds are not extravagant movers, many don't have the temperment for dressage either. There are a select few who hold exception, but this is generalization.

Warmbloods are going to be strong in dressage. Many are bred just for dressage - they have the calm temperments, don't get bored as quickly, and generally try harder in the dressage. They naturally have bouyant, fluid movement and expressive gaits. However, they lack stamina greatly - none of them lasted the long format cross country and some can't even leave the cups up in the stadium ring if they get into a sticky situation. They generally are not as brave as thoroughbreds, nor as smart.

The perfect horse, it would seem, would be a cross of the two.

quote:

Originally posted by RolinRiver:

...I don't see any warmbloods banking off a jump if they cant get their feet out of the way, or jumping what's in front of them even when the rider's gone long in the water complex...

...they lack stamina greatly - none of them lasted the long format cross country and some can't even leave the cups up in the stadium ring if they get into a sticky situation...

-ahem-

Darren Chiacchia's Windfall II. Full-blooded Trakenher.

You can throw around an opinion about liking thoroughbreds better, but don't make fact statements such as "none of them lasted the long format.."

quote:

Originally posted by RolinRiver:

...I don't see any warmbloods banking off a jump if they cant get their feet out of the way, or jumping what's in front of them even when the rider's gone long in the water complex...

...they lack stamina greatly - none of them lasted the long format cross country and some can't even leave the cups up in the stadium ring if they get into a sticky situation...

-ahem-

Darren Chiacchia's Windfall II. Full-blooded Trakenher.

You can throw around an opinion about liking thoroughbreds better, but don't make fact statements such as "none of them lasted the long format.."

I have a TB that looks JUST like a warmblood, people think he is but he's not. He was bred for racing, but never did, he's not hot at all! He is also a very nice dressage and jumping horse and when we were buying him, the vet and other peeps said he was beutiful and has a lovely conformation. I also know a tb that is just the opposite of him. I think it just depends on the horse itself. [Question] But, i would definatley prefer a tb over most wb, [big Grin]

[ 12-09-2006, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: Jumper11 ]

I have a TB that looks JUST like a warmblood, people think he is but he's not. He was bred for racing, but never did, he's not hot at all! He is also a very nice dressage and jumping horse and when we were buying him, the vet and other peeps said he was beutiful and has a lovely conformation. I also know a tb that is just the opposite of him. I think it just depends on the horse itself. [Question] But, i would definatley prefer a tb over most wb, [big Grin]

[ 12-09-2006, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: Jumper11 ]

^^^^ I actually know quite a bit about Windfall - he wins the short format and often falls out in the long format. I adore that horse and Darren, they are probably my riding idols. I said I was generalizing - Warmbloods generally, don't last the long format cross country. Thats why I dont like the new short format, because warmbloods come in and many of the thoroughbreds dont have a chance.

^^^^ I actually know quite a bit about Windfall - he wins the short format and often falls out in the long format. I adore that horse and Darren, they are probably my riding idols. I said I was generalizing - Warmbloods generally, don't last the long format cross country. Thats why I dont like the new short format, because warmbloods come in and many of the thoroughbreds dont have a chance.

i think i'm more of a wb person. Although i have a tb/qh (more tbish)Who doesn't just LOVE Popeye k, and sniffle Royal Kaliber... they are/were both dutch wb

poppeye k

-

-

royal kaliber

-

i think though that sometimes wb can be too heavy, and i really do love tb's to! They can have that extra umph. Another thing about alot of tb's is that many get arthritus, have bad feet, or get hurt easier

(i didn't say all, just in general, and i guess there are some bad wb's to, so it's not really fair to say that...)

[ 12-09-2006, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: That Girl On the Horse ]

i think i'm more of a wb person. Although i have a tb/qh (more tbish)Who doesn't just LOVE Popeye k, and sniffle Royal Kaliber... they are/were both dutch wb

poppeye k

-

-

royal kaliber

-

i think though that sometimes wb can be too heavy, and i really do love tb's to! They can have that extra umph. Another thing about alot of tb's is that many get arthritus, have bad feet, or get hurt easier

(i didn't say all, just in general, and i guess there are some bad wb's to, so it's not really fair to say that...)

[ 12-09-2006, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: That Girl On the Horse ]

To be honest, you couldn't give me a TB. I really really really don't like them. They are nervous wrecks a lot of the time. I have met very few that are these brave couragous horses you speak of. I tried a few out when looking for horses but I jumped off them pretty quickly. I much prefer the average warmblood to the average TB that I have met. I have a laid back personality and WBs tend to fit that. Of course I would chose an app over either any day.

To be honest, you couldn't give me a TB. I really really really don't like them. They are nervous wrecks a lot of the time. I have met very few that are these brave couragous horses you speak of. I tried a few out when looking for horses but I jumped off them pretty quickly. I much prefer the average warmblood to the average TB that I have met. I have a laid back personality and WBs tend to fit that. Of course I would chose an app over either any day.

I love both... i have two TB mares who make excellent eventing/jumping/dressage horses and an American Warmblood mare ( 3/4 TB 1/4 Shire ) and she is a fabulous jumper. and my Warmblood mare is like PMJ's horse... hot headed..... and my two TB mares are as level headed as a QH (well, most QH anyway! )

I love both... i have two TB mares who make excellent eventing/jumping/dressage horses and an American Warmblood mare ( 3/4 TB 1/4 Shire ) and she is a fabulous jumper. and my Warmblood mare is like PMJ's horse... hot headed..... and my two TB mares are as level headed as a QH (well, most QH anyway! )

I have a TB mare and a QH/TB/Belgian cross mare. I love them both dearly! When I got them they were both nervous wrecks at first, scared of everything and everyone. They still have they're TB days but I wouldn't trade them for anything. I think it REALLY depends on the horses personality and training and the trust they have in you. I am in favor of them both, TB's for their enormous hearts, stamina, and versatality, and WB for their gorgeous movemant and enormous talents....it really just depends on the horse.

I have a TB mare and a QH/TB/Belgian cross mare. I love them both dearly! When I got them they were both nervous wrecks at first, scared of everything and everyone. They still have they're TB days but I wouldn't trade them for anything. I think it REALLY depends on the horses personality and training and the trust they have in you. I am in favor of them both, TB's for their enormous hearts, stamina, and versatality, and WB for their gorgeous movemant and enormous talents....it really just depends on the horse.

quote:

Originally posted by Canadian Dressage Rider:

1) I find that throughbreds tend to have a lot of skin problems and are really hard to fatten up so they aren't an easy keeper.

2) I love my horse bulky and I think warmbloods have that.Throughbreds are a little to delicate for me.

However, I love both horses but for dressage I preffer warmbloods.
[Wink]

My throughbred is a very easy keeper.....all the ones at my barn are...If you know that horses require lots and I mean lots of hay. My TB is 5 and get very little in concentrats. He get tones of hay. My sisters TB is the same as well. I think they have the reputation for being harder keepers because people simply do not feed enough hay. Horses need a lot they are big animals.

As for is one better than the other...No..they are different, and each horse has to be judged for the job it is going to be doing. I know many talanted WB and TB as well as many other breeds. The most impotant thing is that a horse enjoys it job.

quote:

Originally posted by Canadian Dressage Rider:

1) I find that throughbreds tend to have a lot of skin problems and are really hard to fatten up so they aren't an easy keeper.

2) I love my horse bulky and I think warmbloods have that.Throughbreds are a little to delicate for me.

However, I love both horses but for dressage I preffer warmbloods.
[Wink]

My throughbred is a very easy keeper.....all the ones at my barn are...If you know that horses require lots and I mean lots of hay. My TB is 5 and get very little in concentrats. He get tones of hay. My sisters TB is the same as well. I think they have the reputation for being harder keepers because people simply do not feed enough hay. Horses need a lot they are big animals.

As for is one better than the other...No..they are different, and each horse has to be judged for the job it is going to be doing. I know many talanted WB and TB as well as many other breeds. The most impotant thing is that a horse enjoys it job.