Sign in to follow this  
weo123

Thoroughbred vs. Warmblood

Not to use to any generalizations, considering I have met both ends of the spectrum for both breeds, I love warmbloods because I own an imported Dutch Warmblood. I, however, learned to ride on a thoroughbred and hack this amazing hunter for my trainer who happens to be an OTTB, who is lazy, calm, and wins at the A shows! I geuss I love both, but I lean towards wamrbloods!

Not to use to any generalizations, considering I have met both ends of the spectrum for both breeds, I love warmbloods because I own an imported Dutch Warmblood. I, however, learned to ride on a thoroughbred and hack this amazing hunter for my trainer who happens to be an OTTB, who is lazy, calm, and wins at the A shows! I geuss I love both, but I lean towards wamrbloods!

I like both breeds - my first horse was a 15.3hh purebred Thoroughbred mare, an ex race horse. She was solid 2nd Level dressage and schooling 3rd Level before she coliced and passed away. But if I were to choose right now, I'd choose a Warmblood. I do dressage, and some of my goals include to make the North American Junior Championship team in dressage (equivilent to 3rd/4th Level), and after that the North American Young Rider Championships (about Prix St. George level) - more prestigious then NAJC. Chances are, a TB would not take me there...I am going to need a high quality, very fancy Warmblood. Does this mean I do not like TB's, or would never own one? No. But I would prefer a Warmblood - a lot of them are bred and built for dressage, and that is what I do, so therefore what I would prefer to meet my goals.

That aside, I currently own a purebred Arabian mare, VP Mi Alibi and lease a mostly-QH x Arabian cross, Teddy. Teddy and I qualified for the USDF Regional Championships and Northwest Dressage Championships, and placed 5th in the NWDC class...beating out expensive Warmbloods. Goes to show you don't need a WB to be successful, but to fulfill my dream, I will probably end up needing a WB.

Just to share a TB 'success story'...my trainer owned (sold last year) an older Thoroughbred gelding with navicular, who was still totally sound and rideable, just needed maintenance. He was solid Grand Prix dressage, and was an ex race horse. He was hot and not an easy keeper, but he was a wonderful teacher and was great to learn how to keep a quiet seat and be totally relaxed. My trainer ended up selling him for $5,000...she sold him to a GREAT home, and a teenage boy is now his proud owner, and they are doing really well together. Sure, he's no $50k imported WB, but he will teach this boy just as much, maybe more, as that horse would, he just won't be as competitive. *Please note - I used to have an imported Dutch WB, so I have nothing against them or their owners, just wanted to share an example for comparison.*

This is getting long, so I should stop while I'm ahead... [Razz]

[ 12-13-2006, 12:58 AM: Message edited by: luvhorses223 ]

I like both breeds - my first horse was a 15.3hh purebred Thoroughbred mare, an ex race horse. She was solid 2nd Level dressage and schooling 3rd Level before she coliced and passed away. But if I were to choose right now, I'd choose a Warmblood. I do dressage, and some of my goals include to make the North American Junior Championship team in dressage (equivilent to 3rd/4th Level), and after that the North American Young Rider Championships (about Prix St. George level) - more prestigious then NAJC. Chances are, a TB would not take me there...I am going to need a high quality, very fancy Warmblood. Does this mean I do not like TB's, or would never own one? No. But I would prefer a Warmblood - a lot of them are bred and built for dressage, and that is what I do, so therefore what I would prefer to meet my goals.

That aside, I currently own a purebred Arabian mare, VP Mi Alibi and lease a mostly-QH x Arabian cross, Teddy. Teddy and I qualified for the USDF Regional Championships and Northwest Dressage Championships, and placed 5th in the NWDC class...beating out expensive Warmbloods. Goes to show you don't need a WB to be successful, but to fulfill my dream, I will probably end up needing a WB.

Just to share a TB 'success story'...my trainer owned (sold last year) an older Thoroughbred gelding with navicular, who was still totally sound and rideable, just needed maintenance. He was solid Grand Prix dressage, and was an ex race horse. He was hot and not an easy keeper, but he was a wonderful teacher and was great to learn how to keep a quiet seat and be totally relaxed. My trainer ended up selling him for $5,000...she sold him to a GREAT home, and a teenage boy is now his proud owner, and they are doing really well together. Sure, he's no $50k imported WB, but he will teach this boy just as much, maybe more, as that horse would, he just won't be as competitive. *Please note - I used to have an imported Dutch WB, so I have nothing against them or their owners, just wanted to share an example for comparison.*

This is getting long, so I should stop while I'm ahead... [Razz]

[ 12-13-2006, 12:58 AM: Message edited by: luvhorses223 ]

I personally prefer TB's.. I have a 5 year old TB mare. She's very sweet, but she is hot.. But thats what I love about her. I love the challenge of handleing her and riding her. Its just so fun for me! She's also the most affectionate thing EVER! She's just so sweet. I also love how TB's can be so peitite (sp?) and delicate, i just love it! They're gorgeous [smile]

I personally prefer TB's.. I have a 5 year old TB mare. She's very sweet, but she is hot.. But thats what I love about her. I love the challenge of handleing her and riding her. Its just so fun for me! She's also the most affectionate thing EVER! She's just so sweet. I also love how TB's can be so peitite (sp?) and delicate, i just love it! They're gorgeous [smile]

I myself prefer hot horses. Saying that, I believe a cross brings out the best of both breeds. I do not have a TB/WB cross... but I do have a Arab/WB cross. In my eyes she is the perfect mix of the two breeds.

I also need to stand up for my QH. He is as hot or hotter than a lot of horses I have met... just to stop the 'Calm QH's' thing. They're not all calm... hehe.

There are calm and hyper horses of all breeds. Every horse is different. I don't think they should be generalized by their breed. I take each horse as a separate case. I have seen TB's that look and act like "WB's", I have seen WB's that look and act like "TB's"... I have also seen a QH whom I though was an OTTB (The height, the build, the temperament)

Every horse is it's own.

Now to answer the question... I don't have an answer, lol. As I have already mentioned each horse is it's own case...

I myself prefer hot horses. Saying that, I believe a cross brings out the best of both breeds. I do not have a TB/WB cross... but I do have a Arab/WB cross. In my eyes she is the perfect mix of the two breeds.

I also need to stand up for my QH. He is as hot or hotter than a lot of horses I have met... just to stop the 'Calm QH's' thing. They're not all calm... hehe.

There are calm and hyper horses of all breeds. Every horse is different. I don't think they should be generalized by their breed. I take each horse as a separate case. I have seen TB's that look and act like "WB's", I have seen WB's that look and act like "TB's"... I have also seen a QH whom I though was an OTTB (The height, the build, the temperament)

Every horse is it's own.

Now to answer the question... I don't have an answer, lol. As I have already mentioned each horse is it's own case...

I suppose it truly depends on the horse's attitude and capabilities, but as for looks I'm more into the Thoroughbred. There's something about the average TB's lean build and long legs that makes me think "Classy Hunter!" and makes me happy. Of course, this isn't bashing agaisnt Warmbloods; I've ridden Hanoverians who have done and taught me more than any other Thoroughbred or horse for that matter.

I suppose it truly depends on the horse's attitude and capabilities, but as for looks I'm more into the Thoroughbred. There's something about the average TB's lean build and long legs that makes me think "Classy Hunter!" and makes me happy. Of course, this isn't bashing agaisnt Warmbloods; I've ridden Hanoverians who have done and taught me more than any other Thoroughbred or horse for that matter.

I like WB's a lot better. I've had too many experience w/hot TBs (but I do love them! Just not as much [Wink] ). I also like a horse that looks like it aint going to break over a fence larger that 3ft. JMO.

and Hastaflicka:: SWB aren't that hot. I don't think I've met any really hot ones (except Tori, she's pretty hot lol).

I like WB's a lot better. I've had too many experience w/hot TBs (but I do love them! Just not as much [Wink] ). I also like a horse that looks like it aint going to break over a fence larger that 3ft. JMO.

and Hastaflicka:: SWB aren't that hot. I don't think I've met any really hot ones (except Tori, she's pretty hot lol).

Ferrari, I like hot horses too (that's why I own a Saddlebred--we trail ride), but they have their disadvantages. One of the nicest horses I ever owned was a 16.2 black Appendix-registered QH. Bachelor had the looks and build of a TB and the mellow soul of a QH. I thought I wanted to be a dressage queen in those days, and people were lining up to buy this horse. I finally realized I didn't have the dedication to be a dressage queen, and sold him to a girl who was engaged to be married. Her parents refused to spend that much money and told her to choose--get married or buy Bachelor. She bought Bachelor. It's the only horse deal I ever made money on, and I KNOW my guy had a good home. [smile]

[ 12-29-2006, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: Joan Fry ]

Ferrari, I like hot horses too (that's why I own a Saddlebred--we trail ride), but they have their disadvantages. One of the nicest horses I ever owned was a 16.2 black Appendix-registered QH. Bachelor had the looks and build of a TB and the mellow soul of a QH. I thought I wanted to be a dressage queen in those days, and people were lining up to buy this horse. I finally realized I didn't have the dedication to be a dressage queen, and sold him to a girl who was engaged to be married. Her parents refused to spend that much money and told her to choose--get married or buy Bachelor. She bought Bachelor. It's the only horse deal I ever made money on, and I KNOW my guy had a good home. [smile]

[ 12-29-2006, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: Joan Fry ]

Morgans Arabs or halfs are the only way for me. Morgans are the ultimate horse for me . I currently have a full arab and half arab/qh and a pony morgan . my pony morgan is the most deticated horse to me. i trust the little brat with my life. i have riden him on wyoming trails which are not like your guys trails there are nasty rocky back country trails i drop the reins and let him do his job.

Morgans Arabs or halfs are the only way for me. Morgans are the ultimate horse for me . I currently have a full arab and half arab/qh and a pony morgan . my pony morgan is the most deticated horse to me. i trust the little brat with my life. i have riden him on wyoming trails which are not like your guys trails there are nasty rocky back country trails i drop the reins and let him do his job.

Personally I love TB! but then again ive been riding them all my life and have one, i love there look on life and how there very forward. Also what youve said about mixing the breeds, i do like that mix too, they have almost everything you want in a horse.

Personally I love TB! but then again ive been riding them all my life and have one, i love there look on life and how there very forward. Also what youve said about mixing the breeds, i do like that mix too, they have almost everything you want in a horse.

I have a thoroughbred who is fairly heavy, and I have been asked if she is an appendix or even a full quarter horse [Eek!] . She is young, but not very hot, just a slow maturing girl.

I have a thoroughbred who is fairly heavy, and I have been asked if she is an appendix or even a full quarter horse [Eek!] . She is young, but not very hot, just a slow maturing girl.

Comparing thoroughbreds and warmbloods, that's like comparing apples to oranges. Tb's are falsely stereotyped as "hot." Warmbloods are stereotyped as slow, lumbering, unathletic lugs. Both couldn't be farther from the truth. And if you think otherwise, do research. There are acceptions to every rule, however I've come across many big boned lazy butted tbs. I've come across wbs that were more athletic and agile than most any other horses. Saying that a warmblood cannot keep up on the cross country field is plain hogwash. A horse with the right endurance and stamina training will be okay. You're not asking them to go on an over night endurance ride like some of you are making it sound. A lot of top eventers I've seen have atleast a little type of warmblood in it. Tb's are not always hot headed idiots. They are very honest and hard working horses. Smart too. They kind of fall in the line with the arabian horses. Too smart for humans, thus humans can't train the animal.. it is then deemed stupid or hot headed. Simple as that. Every horse has the opportunity to be a good horse, it's our job as riders and/or trainers to bring this out in them. If we lack the knowledge ourselves we cannot do this. Horses are creatures which are only mildly understood. If it was so easy to train a horse, everybody would be a millionaire. They're creatures of habit also, so bad things us riders do rub off on them eventually and their old habits become hard to break. There really is no better horse breed. Rather each horse should be looked at as an individual. Classifying by breeds is like being a racist. You can't simply say one is better or more talented than the other. This just isn't true. [smile]

Comparing thoroughbreds and warmbloods, that's like comparing apples to oranges. Tb's are falsely stereotyped as "hot." Warmbloods are stereotyped as slow, lumbering, unathletic lugs. Both couldn't be farther from the truth. And if you think otherwise, do research. There are acceptions to every rule, however I've come across many big boned lazy butted tbs. I've come across wbs that were more athletic and agile than most any other horses. Saying that a warmblood cannot keep up on the cross country field is plain hogwash. A horse with the right endurance and stamina training will be okay. You're not asking them to go on an over night endurance ride like some of you are making it sound. A lot of top eventers I've seen have atleast a little type of warmblood in it. Tb's are not always hot headed idiots. They are very honest and hard working horses. Smart too. They kind of fall in the line with the arabian horses. Too smart for humans, thus humans can't train the animal.. it is then deemed stupid or hot headed. Simple as that. Every horse has the opportunity to be a good horse, it's our job as riders and/or trainers to bring this out in them. If we lack the knowledge ourselves we cannot do this. Horses are creatures which are only mildly understood. If it was so easy to train a horse, everybody would be a millionaire. They're creatures of habit also, so bad things us riders do rub off on them eventually and their old habits become hard to break. There really is no better horse breed. Rather each horse should be looked at as an individual. Classifying by breeds is like being a racist. You can't simply say one is better or more talented than the other. This just isn't true. [smile]

My login name may speak for it's self. I prefer 1/2 arabian crosses, especially National Show Horses. But if I would have to choose, I would prefer a warmblood. I work at a barn(to pay for boarding) that is primarly TB's and has a few warmbloods and arabians. In general, I don't care for TB's, there are maybe 2 in the barn of 10 TB's in the barn that are ok, but the rest are very hot, hard to handle, hard to keep weight on, injure themselves very easily, are spooky and explosive. I wear helmet when leading a few of the horses because I nearly had my head knocked off by two different TB's twice this month. I not yet have had any of the warmbloods or arabians in the barn blow up, strike at me, or take off running away because the barn cat(horse eating panthers in some of the TB's mind) crossed their path. I had a TB myself for a few months and relized he wasn't the horse for me. There are a few out there that I might get along with, but at least the TB's I've been around are not representing a horse that I could deal with.

My login name may speak for it's self. I prefer 1/2 arabian crosses, especially National Show Horses. But if I would have to choose, I would prefer a warmblood. I work at a barn(to pay for boarding) that is primarly TB's and has a few warmbloods and arabians. In general, I don't care for TB's, there are maybe 2 in the barn of 10 TB's in the barn that are ok, but the rest are very hot, hard to handle, hard to keep weight on, injure themselves very easily, are spooky and explosive. I wear helmet when leading a few of the horses because I nearly had my head knocked off by two different TB's twice this month. I not yet have had any of the warmbloods or arabians in the barn blow up, strike at me, or take off running away because the barn cat(horse eating panthers in some of the TB's mind) crossed their path. I had a TB myself for a few months and relized he wasn't the horse for me. There are a few out there that I might get along with, but at least the TB's I've been around are not representing a horse that I could deal with.

I own a 5yr old tb off the track for a month.anyone can ride her cause she is so lazy.she is not a big mover like a warmblood but i like her personlity.I like both tbs and wbs but tbs are more in my price range.

I own a 5yr old tb off the track for a month.anyone can ride her cause she is so lazy.she is not a big mover like a warmblood but i like her personlity.I like both tbs and wbs but tbs are more in my price range.