Sign in to follow this  
oneshyfilly

what are some good english saddles?

I am looking to buy my first english saddle. I am not going to show so I just want a good, comfortable middle-of-the-line saddle for daily riding...I am thinking about buying either an HDR Advantage or HDR Pro...what do you think of HDR saddles? I've read a lot of reviews and people either love them or hate them...Can you recommend any other brands under $900?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I am looking to buy my first english saddle. I am not going to show so I just want a good, comfortable middle-of-the-line saddle for daily riding...I am thinking about buying either an HDR Advantage or HDR Pro...what do you think of HDR saddles? I've read a lot of reviews and people either love them or hate them...Can you recommend any other brands under $900?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Try looking at used saddles too. You can find some good brands for reasonable prices if you look. Which brand really is up to personal preference, and I have no idea what runs at a reasonable price over there, but don't pass up a good used saddle that will keep its resale value, should you wish to sell it later.

Sorry I can't be much help with the 2 you picked out but I know nothing of the brand.Hopefully someone else will be more use to you in suggesting specific brands. Good luck!! [smiley Wavey]

[ 06-04-2007, 05:17 AM: Message edited by: O- -O Lightning Strikes Twice O- -O ]

Try looking at used saddles too. You can find some good brands for reasonable prices if you look. Which brand really is up to personal preference, and I have no idea what runs at a reasonable price over there, but don't pass up a good used saddle that will keep its resale value, should you wish to sell it later.

Sorry I can't be much help with the 2 you picked out but I know nothing of the brand.Hopefully someone else will be more use to you in suggesting specific brands. Good luck!! [smiley Wavey]

[ 06-04-2007, 05:17 AM: Message edited by: O- -O Lightning Strikes Twice O- -O ]

I have an HDR child's saddle. It is very nice.

I also have a Collegiate Graduate. It is very comfortable. It has held up to moderate use well.

They were both middle of the road priced saddles.

I have an HDR child's saddle. It is very nice.

I also have a Collegiate Graduate. It is very comfortable. It has held up to moderate use well.

They were both middle of the road priced saddles.

HDR saddles are OK. Not my first choice.

I generally buy used Crosby saddles. Buying used you can get a lot more saddle for your money. [smile]

HDR saddles are OK. Not my first choice.

I generally buy used Crosby saddles. Buying used you can get a lot more saddle for your money. [smile]

Ehh... HDR saddles aren't allowed at my barn. I agree, look for a used saddle. Crosby and Collegiates are decent middle of the line saddle. But you could find a used Bates or Barnsby for under 900. Good luck.

Ehh... HDR saddles aren't allowed at my barn. I agree, look for a used saddle. Crosby and Collegiates are decent middle of the line saddle. But you could find a used Bates or Barnsby for under 900. Good luck.

My friend told me collegiate english saddle is good. I couldnt tell you anything about it except for my friend says its good.

hope i helped=]

My friend told me collegiate english saddle is good. I couldnt tell you anything about it except for my friend says its good.

hope i helped=]

Thanks for the help. My riding instructor has a used Pessoa A/O that I might buy...it's very comfortable, but I was kind of hoping to buy a new saddle, so I could break it in myself and stuff...

From what you guys are saying, I am actually now leaning towards buying it...

Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for the help. My riding instructor has a used Pessoa A/O that I might buy...it's very comfortable, but I was kind of hoping to buy a new saddle, so I could break it in myself and stuff...

From what you guys are saying, I am actually now leaning towards buying it...

Thanks for the advice.

The best saddle ever is the Circuit brand. There really nice and only around $700. You can buy them in Dover (I think you can test ride it before you buy it too). I have a close contact circuit saddle and I love it. I've had it almost 3 years and its in still perfectly good condition. Also if you ever decide to show, it's a really good show saddle too. I use mine for everything, from dressage to cross country. I especially use it for jumping. And i think if you buy it from Dover You get a free bridle that matches. I got one and it's really good quality and really pretty. Try looking into these saddles. They're really great! [big Grin]

The best saddle ever is the Circuit brand. There really nice and only around $700. You can buy them in Dover (I think you can test ride it before you buy it too). I have a close contact circuit saddle and I love it. I've had it almost 3 years and its in still perfectly good condition. Also if you ever decide to show, it's a really good show saddle too. I use mine for everything, from dressage to cross country. I especially use it for jumping. And i think if you buy it from Dover You get a free bridle that matches. I got one and it's really good quality and really pretty. Try looking into these saddles. They're really great! [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by jump_for_joy:

The best saddle ever is the Circuit brand. There really nice and only around $700. You can buy them in Dover (I think you can test ride it before you buy it too). I have a close contact circuit saddle and I love it. I've had it almost 3 years and its in still perfectly good condition. Also if you ever decide to show, it's a really good show saddle too. I use mine for everything, from dressage to cross country. I especially use it for jumping. And i think if you buy it from Dover You get a free bridle that matches. I got one and it's really good quality and really pretty. Try looking into these saddles. They're really great!
[big Grin]

Ditto. HDR are nice, but I'm totally in love with the Dover Circuits. They are amazing saddles.

quote:

Originally posted by jump_for_joy:

The best saddle ever is the Circuit brand. There really nice and only around $700. You can buy them in Dover (I think you can test ride it before you buy it too). I have a close contact circuit saddle and I love it. I've had it almost 3 years and its in still perfectly good condition. Also if you ever decide to show, it's a really good show saddle too. I use mine for everything, from dressage to cross country. I especially use it for jumping. And i think if you buy it from Dover You get a free bridle that matches. I got one and it's really good quality and really pretty. Try looking into these saddles. They're really great!
[big Grin]

Ditto. HDR are nice, but I'm totally in love with the Dover Circuits. They are amazing saddles.

If you want a new saddle simply because you want to break it in by yourself, I think you are too concerned with looks. Are you worried that it looks "old"? A proper saddle, well-made, can always look brand new with good care and conditioning. I reccomend Leather CPR.

If you want a new saddle simply because you want to break it in by yourself, I think you are too concerned with looks. Are you worried that it looks "old"? A proper saddle, well-made, can always look brand new with good care and conditioning. I reccomend Leather CPR.

Thanks for the info, everybody. I've made the decision to buy my instructor's Pessoa if it fits. And no, actually, I am not too concerned with looks. The reason I would like to buy a new saddle is because it's new from the beginning and I can take care of it really well and keep it really nice. Buying an used saddle, I can never really be sure how well it's been kept and I've heard that with some used saddles, the tree can be compromised...so for me, it's just that I would know what's happened with the saddle from the very beginning that's all. I really don't care about looks.

Thanks for the info, everybody. I've made the decision to buy my instructor's Pessoa if it fits. And no, actually, I am not too concerned with looks. The reason I would like to buy a new saddle is because it's new from the beginning and I can take care of it really well and keep it really nice. Buying an used saddle, I can never really be sure how well it's been kept and I've heard that with some used saddles, the tree can be compromised...so for me, it's just that I would know what's happened with the saddle from the very beginning that's all. I really don't care about looks.